Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

14 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Cheers for posting this link - fascinating stuff.

My tuppence worth - Burdiehouse is actually a corruption of Bordeaux house - named after  a place that was some kind of inn , selling French wines . 

Was Edinburgh at one point way back almost totally French spoken, and steps were taken to bring that to a halt. I seem to recall gardyloo being the word that started the conversation I was in, actually being garde de leau the French version originally.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, bobsharp said:

Was Edinburgh at one point way back almost totally French spoken, and steps were taken to bring that to a halt. I seem to recall gardyloo being the word that started the conversation I was in, actually being garde de leau the French version originally.

Don't know about your first part but the highlighted part is what I believe to be true.

6 hours ago, bobsharp said:

French was the  language of the royal court in England post 1066 , so I suppose there was a French influence but Edinburgh was an eastern facing port so much influence from France/Germany & "Holland" - apparently  there was a lot of interaction from the Scottish fishing fleets . When I did my French Higher 40 years ago my teacher would talk about "old Scottish" words that had French origins. And there are lots. 

2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

French was the  language of the royal court in England post 1066 , so I suppose there was a French influence but Edinburgh was an eastern facing port so much influence from France/Germany & "Holland" - apparently  there was a lot of interaction from the Scottish fishing fleets . When I did my French Higher 40 years ago my teacher would talk about "old Scottish" words that had French origins. And there are lots. 

There was also the "Auld Alliance" between Scotland and France between 1295 and 1560 which saw a lot of French words enter Scots language.

been here before
17 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

If anyone fancies a wee read:-  http://www.oldandnewedinburgh.co.uk/

I just learned from a quick deek at it, that the Pleasance's name was originally Placentia, named after an Italian city (now Piacenza).

Not so. 

It comes from 'plesance' an old Scots word meaning park/garden.

The Placentia story is originally taken from the name of a nunnery whuch was said to be located there called St Marys of Placentia but this has long since been proven to be wrong.

https://canmore.org.uk/site/52131/edinburgh-pleasance-convent-of-st-mary-of-placentia

Edited by been here before

been here before

Ahhh Greys.

I once bought a small plastic watering can with a brass rose, a large clothes pulley and a glass mantle for a parrafin lamp out of there in one swoop. No other single shop could have stock like that.

They sold stuff no-one else did. Brilliant shop that probably hadnt changed that much since 1870. Much missed.

3 hours ago, been here before said:

Not so. 

It comes from 'plesance' an old Scots word meaning park/garden.

The Placentia story is originally taken from the name of a nunnery whuch was said to be located there called St Marys of Placentia but this has long since been proven to be wrong.

https://canmore.org.uk/site/52131/edinburgh-pleasance-convent-of-st-mary-of-placentia

Haha, I noticed that on another site and came to post the same. :)

55 minutes ago, Morgan said:

:lol: 

I am very happy with that picture, it actually makes me look a lot better than the spectacle I provided between Parkside Terrace and Park Road.:jj_facepalm:

6 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I am very happy with that picture, it actually makes me look a lot better than the spectacle I provided between Parkside Terrace and Park Road.:jj_facepalm:

:D :laugh:

14 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

There might be a plaque up commemorating it Bob. I'll take a look next time I'm passing. :D

21 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

There could be a whole new thread on scots words or sayings which come from foreign langauges.

Dinnae fash yerself  - from French

Dinnae ken - German or Dutch

Greetin  - Spanish 

All the romany words too.

John Findlay
5 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

There might be a plaque up commemorating it Bob. I'll take a look next time I'm passing. :D

This plaque is to commemorate where PC Robert Sharp attempted to board an Edinburgh corporation number 2 bus whilst on his way to sign on duty at Niddrie police station. A section of the Edinburgh community had not been so entertained for many a year. Signed the Lord Provost.:D.

22 hours ago, Sydney said:

There could be a whole new thread on scots words or sayings which come from foreign langauges.

Dinnae fash yerself  - from French

Dinnae ken - German or Dutch

Greetin  - Spanish 

All the romany words too.

Braw is a Swedish word with the same meaning as the Scots word (good) I'm not sure which came first or if they are related. 

I'm sure Bairn is also a Swedish or maybe Norwegian word for child. 

(That's from watching Wallander, The Bridge or other 'Scandi' tv progs on BBC4 ) 

:laugh:

John Findlay
5 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I wonder who we were playing at home that weekend

1383C835-F578-4605-AF19-829847346751.jpeg

Brenda still moaned the grass was to long.

On 10/08/2018 at 13:20, Lemongrab said:

If anyone fancies a wee read:-  http://www.oldandnewedinburgh.co.uk/

I just learned from a quick deek at it, that the Pleasance's name was originally Placentia, named after an Italian city (now Piacenza).

This is an interesting site on the derivation of street names (If it has not already been linked) https://www.scribd.com/document/57398403/Edinburgh-Street-Names

On 11/08/2018 at 20:16, Lemongrab said:

Make sure the photos sharp.

Carl Fredrickson
4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1502.JPG

IMG_1503.JPG

IMG_1504.JPG

IMG_1505.JPG

Loads of great photos on this thread over the last couple of days.

Pardon my ignorance but from these ;photos it would look like the train station was built then the hotel was built on/around it. Am I correct in thinking this?

It is a part of Edinburgh that I am rarely in but I know the entrance to the car park of the hotel still has the iron surround from the old station. 

I find the old photos fascinating - the view down towards the bridges with no traffic - if only.....

Maroon Sailor
21 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Loads of great photos on this thread over the last couple of days.

Pardon my ignorance but from these ;photos it would look like the train station was built then the hotel was built on/around it. Am I correct in thinking this?

It is a part of Edinburgh that I am rarely in but I know the entrance to the car park of the hotel still has the iron surround from the old station. 

I find the old photos fascinating - the view down towards the bridges with no traffic - if only.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_Princes_Street_railway_station

IMG_2276.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2278.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

been here before
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_2281.JPG

Looking up Dalry Road from Haymarket?

Although those flats above the shops on the left dont look right having said that.

Edited by been here before

Maroon Sailor?

You've found some absolutely brilliant photos over the past two months.  Any chance you could find some of the Braids and Buckstone?

Would be much appreciated!

Maroon Sailor
27 minutes ago, been here before said:

Looking up Dalry Road from Haymarket?

Although those flats above the shops on the left dont look right having said that.

Raeburn Place 1965

IMG_2281.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor
20 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Maroon Sailor?

You've found some absolutely brilliant photos over the past two months.  Any chance you could find some of the Braids and Buckstone?

Would be much appreciated!

Braidburn Dairy

IMG_2284.JPG