Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

1 hour ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

This is a picture from the 70’s. The top part of the lights are definitely new.

hard to tell if it’s the original bases though. 

58DCCBC8-B026-4FE1-B36F-4C2C1E8CBA1A.jpeg

I reckon these are original posts - if you look in middle foreground  (to left of bus) you can see the new type - one piece concrete with a curved top. They also look taller. At around that time lamp posts were being replaced but also repositioned  away from the kerb edge due to the number of road deaths involving cars hitting lamp posts. 

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Montgomery Brewster
4 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I reckon these are original posts - if you look in middle foreground  (to left of bus) you can see the new type - one piece concrete with a curved top. They also look taller. At around that time lamp posts were being replaced but also repositioned  away from the kerb edge due to the number of road deaths involving cars hitting lamp posts. 

If you look at the two pics the top bit is slightly different. The bump at the top is shorter than the old ones.

a good reproduction all the same 

Maroon Sailor

My old school near the top of this picture. Not there anymore

IMG_20180202_193605.jpg

Edited by Maroon Sailor

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

My old school near the top of this picture. Not there anymore

IMG_20180202_193605.jpg

Dumbryden?  I can see my old hoose.

Maroon Sailor
22 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Dumbryden?  I can see my old hoose.

My old hoose is out of shot but I'm glad it's still there.

When was that dual carriageway built on the Calder Road ? Those buses were still in service early 70's but I've always known the dual carriageway to be there.

Not much else has changed from that phot - apart from Dumbryden School and the trees that have replaced the grass bank going up Hailesland Road past the school.

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

My old hoose is out of shot but I'm glad it's still there.

When was that dual carriageway built on the Calder Road ? Those buses were still in service early 70's but I've always known the dual carriageway to be there.

Not much else has changed from that phot - apart from Dumbryden School and the trees that have replaced the grass bank going up Hailesland Road past the school.

I think the dual carriage was made in 1972.  Well before I moved up this way, so it's all I've known too.

Maroon Sailor
17 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I think the dual carriage was made in 1972.  Well before I moved up this way, so it's all I've known too.

72 is when I started at Dumbryden. 1972-79 and I enjoyed being at that school. Hated secondary school right enough ! Couldn't get out of that quick enough !

stuartmitchell
On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 22:14, Maroon Sailor said:

Apparently there was Easter Road Halt as well

Two different stops. One at Abbeyhill and One at Easter Road. The line from Abbeyhill merged with a line that used to go  waste processing plant at the bottom of McDonald Rd off Broughton St. If you google map sunnyside you'll see the line of the old railway merging behind the hibs supporters club.

Love this stuff! If you google Glasgow abandoned low level they have a thread like this but it's now over 70 pages.

stuartmitchell
On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 17:01, frankblack said:

Not sure specifically about Leith North.  However, Leith Citadel is still very visible on Commercial Street - it is a youth club but you can still see the platforms:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.9775014,-3.1764355,3a,75y,130.54h,85.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sd3GQrmbqMXwt6tVah4f9Mg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edit - I didn't see your reply when I posted this.

I work in the area and the Citadel (or arch that remains of it) has a very interesting history with Oliver Cromwell.  History of Leith Citadel

Leith North Lies at North Ft Street just by the Dreadnought pub. The road has been re-aligned over the years but the line as you may expect ran right into the docks. You used to be able to see the lines near the cruise terminal. Not sure if the trams work ruined that or not.

Gimme an H...
On 7/2/2018 at 23:30, luckyBatistuta said:

Bristo Street, a bustling area lost to the University, even though the local residents fought hard against the proposals (still happening to this day)

5D00449E-D415-4EFD-B605-F7C6F3368DCE.jpeg

0E59F83D-733E-4EFF-94CE-42D73D204015.jpeg

128A79B9-9B30-4D7B-A2B1-97EBC8866330.png

AD1D9C0A-8E07-4123-A3ED-211E0F60BF2F.jpeg

EC163084-D41C-43F5-94DD-002298FFD747.jpeg

See that Parkers shop...where is that exactly now? Is that Bristo Square where the Underbelly is now?

In laws have a painting of it at their house and no one was sure where it was! 

https://goo.gl/maps/9LC1Kiv66eP2

I've got it at this junction?

Edited by Gimme an H...

18 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

See that Parkers shop...where is that exactly now? Is that Bristo Square where the Underbelly is now?

Close but not quite. 

This old map shows it as I think the triangle of buildings in the middle. That shop being at the point between Charles St and Bristo Str. 

If you were here enough years ago you would be close to the entrance of he shop.  https://goo.gl/maps/zC2hNXgzWNS2

download.thumb.png.1115c520edbda164b7477dbea722a8bd.png

Gimme an H...
3 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Close but not quite. 

This old map shows it as I think the triangle of buildings in the middle. That shop being at the point between Charles St and Bristo Str. 

If you were here enough years ago you would be close to the entrance of he shop.  https://goo.gl/maps/zC2hNXgzWNS2

I was down that wee side path/road earlier on Google. Thought it was around there!

Cheers!

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I don't think you are far of the mark with the year.

1 hour ago, SUTOL said:

Close but not quite. 

Thanks for that.  Someone I know has this on their wall and I've never been able to get my head round where the shop was. Their crap explanations haven't helped.

EA120_Bristo_Street_in_the_1950s.jpg

So that bus is coming out of Marshall Street?  Please tell me I'm right.  I've been wondering, on and off, for about two years. :D

8 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Thanks for that.  Someone I know has this on their wall and I've never been able to get my head round where the shop was. Their crap explanations haven't helped.

So that bus is coming out of Marshall Street?  Please tell me I'm right.  I've been wondering, on and off, for about two years. :D

I'd say, yes the bus is coming out of Marshall Street. 

Going by the information I have taken from the old map(s). 

Maybe an older contributor could recall and confirm... :laugh: 

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Yes it is:mellow:

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

It sure is , it would probably be a #2 heading for Broomhouse, for the life of me although I rode that bus all the time I am not sure where it went, from that location. At my age the memory is the second thing to go, I can't remember the first thing but I am sure it had something to do with the wife.

Montgomery Brewster
1 hour ago, SUTOL said:

See this for more info. The bus isn’t coming out of the bit of Marshall street that is left now. Marshall street continued on and joined onto Bristo street before it was all demolished.

See this map for a better explanation . 

https://maps.nls.uk/view/142842464

There’s a good pic on this thread  somewhere that shows you better were Parker’s was. 

If you are passing these days it would have been about the middle of what’s left of the square bounded by the uni and mcewan hall. 

So so if your standing at the junction where the 23 and 27 head right and the 41 , 42 buses turns left coming from the city . Parker’s was kind of diagonal towards were chapel street is now. 

Montgomery Brewster
4 hours ago, Gimme an H... said:

Doesn’t help that every picture that ever seemed to have been taken shows they same view. A view pointing towards mcewan hall would have been good - i’ll Just go back 50 years and take one lol

Thanks guys.  I thought I had it sussed, then it was taken away, but I think I've got it now. :thumbsup:

Using a tool on the NLS site I was able to compare and old and newish  map and pinpoint where the tip of 'the triangle' was. That bloody university hasn't half ruined the area.

parkers.jpg

Montgomery Brewster
53 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Thanks guys.  I thought I had it sussed, then it was taken away, but I think I've got it now. :thumbsup:

Using a tool on the NLS site I was able to compare and old and newish  map and pinpoint where the tip of 'the triangle' was. That bloody university hasn't half ruined the area.

parkers.jpg

Good work

been here before

Anybody recognise this ?

IMG_1430.JPG

Its a Liddells Laundry van.

Too easy man.

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Anybody recognise this ?

IMG_1430.JPG

56 minutes ago, Janbo1874 said:

Cramond Road South

43 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Yep, though it looked familiar, just the houses have been whitewashed. 

https://goo.gl/maps/QEDCix8bLBN2

Barnton Gardens :wink:

8 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Barnton Gardens :wink:

Zoom in on the road name sign in the Streetview image I've linked to. 

:greggy:

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Janbo1874 said:

Cramond Road South

Cheers

That explains the posh lamp posts !

luckyBatistuta
12 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Zoom in on the road name sign in the Streetview image I've linked to. 

:greggy:

Might be part of Cramond Road South, but if you live in those houses, your mailing address will be Barnton Gardens. Everyone I’ve dropped there also asks for Barnton Gardens too.

Couldn’t help jumping in and being a pedantic erse, its a street in Edinburgh   :mmtaxi:

1D7B2C5D-272A-414C-84F2-4495838641EE.jpeg

Edited by luckyBatistuta

2 hours ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Good work

Of all the changes that have been of areas in the pictures on this thread this one of Potterow etc is the most comprehensive. Bristo Street seems to have disappeared completely. Amazing.

Maroon Sailor
11 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Of all the changes that have been of areas in the pictures on this thread this one of Potterow etc is the most comprehensive. Bristo Street seems to have disappeared completely. Amazing.

It took 3/4 of Marshall Street away as well by the look of it.

I posted a pic earlier that showed the new road at Potterow being made

Maroon Sailor
17 minutes ago, Sydney said:

That is a great photo....but I have no idea where it is.  Morningside/Comiston way?

I think it's not too far off this

IMG_1430.JPG

IMG_1436.JPG

luckyBatistuta
48 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I think it's not too far off this

IMG_1430.JPG

IMG_1436.JPG

Yup, the other side of the street.

Maroon Sailor
10 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Holyrood - Abbey Strand - Lord Darnley pub with the Ford Anglia outside.

Thought the Lord Darnley was at West Port ?

9 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Might be part of Cramond Road South, but if you live in those houses, your mailing address will be Barnton Gardens. Everyone I’ve dropped there also asks for Barnton Gardens too.

Couldn’t help jumping in and being a pedantic erse, its a street in Edinburgh   :mmtaxi:

Haha, I know. 

It says Barnton Gardens on the bottom of the street sign as well. 

:thumb:

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, SUTOL said:

Haha, I know. 

It says Barnton Gardens on the bottom of the street sign as well. 

IMG_1408.JPG

Bottom of the Canongate?  The building with the three gable ends is still there, but those either side gone.