Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

On 31/07/2018 at 19:41, been here before said:

Canonmills?

1099554_5dc29230.jpg.82cf697c3025c40049d3bee1ea1762c9.jpg

Catching up with this thread so dunno if it’s been mentioned, but do you know that this building has only recently been demolished too? Only within the last fortnight or so. Was a lovely wee building too, no doubt more generically bland flats coming soon ☹️

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I don't and I don't know what they were building before it became a Travelodge. If we could find that out it would give us some kind of idea.

The Travelodge was an office block. Sure it was a bank, RBS or BoS. 

Maroon Sailor
Just now, 3fingersreid said:

Clue please 

Thing is if I don't mention where it is it means I'm not sure myself !

I was thinking Strachan Road

Lemongrab and SUTOL usually come up with the goods !

John Findlay

IMG_1389.JPG

Drylaw cop shop. Proper Panda car or punch car as the game went with Morris Minors. I'm also just old enough to remember when a polis car was a Ford Anglia.

41 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Hey you!

That Morgan guy has guessed a few too! :sad: 

26 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Drylaw cop shop. Proper Panda car or punch car as the game went with Morris Minors. I'm also just old enough to remember when a polis car was a Ford Anglia.

Only from the outside we hope John?  :greggy:

3fingersreid
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Hey you!

But he’s no bloody guessed this one yet 

43 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Not seeing strachan road but then again I didn’t recognise comiston rd either 

1 minute ago, 3fingersreid said:

But he’s no bloody guessed this one yet 

Not seeing strachan road but then again I didn’t recognise comiston rd either 

:tongue:

You just wait!

3fingersreid

IMG_1390.JPG

What about Telford rd junction of Drylaw green ? Farmers auto care to the right ? 

Montgomery Brewster
1 hour ago, SUTOL said:

The Travelodge was an office block. Sure it was a bank, RBS or BoS. 

The old offices of Ben Line. A shipping company 

Radio Ga Ga
9 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

What about Telford rd junction of Drylaw green ? Farmers auto care to the right ? 

Yes, think you’re right, has a look on Google Earth and it matches the picture 

8 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I was wondering if the sign on the street to the left says Drylaw Cres...

But the bank building was obviously knocked down and replaced with the newer terrace of shops etc.

The first house on the left looks a good match though. 

https://goo.gl/maps/CnM7Mumpo5T2

Maroon Sailor
25 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Hey you!

You get the lemon squeezy ones mon ami !

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Theyy were arriving just as I got out, don't remember Ford Anglias, but the traffic cars were all Jaguars, motor bikes BSA Golden Flash  . Our divisional cars were MG. and the CID still had Wolseleys. There was no money spared on vehicles. When they introduced the Panda cars they had an introductory program where we had to go around our beats, go up stairs and introduce ourselves as your neighbourhood bobby. I got a few very positive responses of things like "I know who you are ya big blue eyed f....r. I gained the opinion that my near demise from the position of neighbourhood bobby was a good thing for I and the Niddrie population.

Edited by bobsharp

47 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Yes, think you’re right, has a look on Google Earth and it matches the picture 

If that is where I think it is it would be what was the Whitehall Garage, Blackhall, owned by a family who were also coal merchants named Paterson, it was taken over by Tommy Farmer later.

It was the scene of my first job ever, 1950, petrol boy at fifteen, and the scene of my fathers last job ever, petrol boy at sixty five, and promoted to sweeper which he quit quite spectacularly.

Edinburgh is really a place in my history.

9 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Clue please 

CraigentinnyAvenue/Moira Terrace /Restalrig Avenue.

Stuart Lyon

One for Bob - can you say where this is in the Southside - the name of the pub was The Corner Bar

Corner Bar.jpg

Edited by Stuart Lyon

9 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

One for Bob - can you say where this is in the Southside - the name of the pub was The Corner Bar

Corner Bar.jpg

is this on the corner of Montague St (the street running to the right of pic) ? I'm sure I recognise this, my missus had the corner window flat 2 floors above the pub. I remember it because her washing machine leaked one night and flooded the pub below. 

Maroon Sailor
9 minutes ago, westbow said:

Is that two midgets impersonating a police man?

It does look strange

Maroon Sailor
13 minutes ago, Hector Riva said:

Moira Terrace?

I think the consensus on here is that it's Telford Road / Blackhall Junction with Queensferry Road / Hillhouse Road

The shops are not very helpful in this case by the looks of it.

IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

4 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

is this on the corner of Montague St (the street running to the right of pic) ? I'm sure I recognise this, my missus had the corner window flat 2 floors above the pub. I remember it because her washing machine leaked one night and flooded the pub below. 

I would say it is not Montague Street, I honestly do not recopgnise it at all, but have seen a similar picture that mentioned Adam Street area.

3 hours ago, Hector Riva said:

Moira Terrace?

Could that be the Bank of Scotland branch at Liberton? One of the few Edinburgh branches I did not work in.

1 hour ago, argyjambo said:

Could that be the Bank of Scotland branch at Liberton? One of the few Edinburgh branches I did not work in.

Nah. I had a look at that one earlier and the bank is a different build.  In the old picture, the houses on the left of the street look pretty much the same, including the wee garage bottom left.

g_ARAGE.jpg

5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I think the consensus on here is that it's Telford Road / Blackhall Junction with Queensferry Road / Hillhouse Road

The shops are not very helpful in this case by the looks of it.

IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

That middle picture is certainly the area I suspect the picture is representing. the first picture is probaly a wee bit earlier than my time, but the driveway at the bank I am sure is coming from the garage. In the middle picture the gas pumps are gone but the structure is basically the same, and the owners house is still shown above the main door.

4 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

124B3047-6CF6-4D8F-A6D0-3CB09BFFF243.jpeg

OMG. There was a cafe (Little Bo peep ?) right there and Halfords was further up towards to the right before it moved to Princes St and then Dundas St. 

7 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Close but no cigar https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.9423331,-3.1791035,3a,75y,188.44h,105.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYVUnaWoYO-RpAvF5gfgRdQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

19 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1389.JPG

Drylaw police station. is it still there ? Couldn't believe a pub just 100 yds down the road from there was doing drugs & prozzies for years. :whistling:

19 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Catching up with this thread so dunno if it’s been mentioned, but do you know that this building has only recently been demolished too? Only within the last fortnight or so. Was a lovely wee building too, no doubt more generically bland flats coming soon ☹️

When I was a kid in the 60s the shop to the left of the traffic lights was a ship's chandler (!) , the modern flats to the left was Taylors bakery (happy days on a Sunday for fresh rolls). 

luckyBatistuta
12 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

OMG. There was a cafe (Little Bo peep ?) right there and Halfords was further up towards to the right before it moved to Princes St and then Dundas St. 

I don’t remember any of that, no idea when that picture was taken.

Montgomery Brewster
19 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Original lampposts still in situ, hadn’t notice them before

Yes. I can’t remember if they refurbished them when they renovated the bridge in the 90’s. Or if they were just new ones to look like old. I suspect they were renovated

Montgomery Brewster
19 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Original lampposts still in situ, hadn’t notice them before

This is a picture from the 70’s. The top part of the lights are definitely new.

hard to tell if it’s the original bases though. 

58DCCBC8-B026-4FE1-B36F-4C2C1E8CBA1A.jpeg

22 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

124B3047-6CF6-4D8F-A6D0-3CB09BFFF243.jpeg

This pic has to be no earlier than very late 60s (I was born in 1960 and I remember all this being trading business at the time). I'm wondering if this was when the big roundabout was built at York Place with a plan to build a road  tunnel under Calton Hill as part  of traffic relief (although not a car in that pic :lol:). Those shops were demolished (as part of the crazy road plan ?) and the area was left derelict for years after the St James Centre was built.