Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Bob is this the old police station. Can't find Braid Place?

Causewayside_Police_Station.png

Yes thats him, the two windows on the corner were the telephone switchboard room You went in the front door and there was a long desk where you presented the prisoners to the desk sergeant, and carried on through after charges were laid and the cells were on the left. Again a very prominent place in my life history, as a wee boy passing was pointed out the place you would go if bad, to working there and taking bad people to there just like my mother told me.

It was as I say om Causewayside, but was just known locally as Braid Place.  Has the street changed its name and become Sciennes something now?.

Montgomery Brewster
1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Changed to Sciences House Place Bob; don't know when it happened.

Another building of note is the Old Braid Fire Station in former Braid Place, renamed Sciennes Hill Place in 1968.according to wiki pedia

Edited by Montgomery Brewster

19 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Middle photo is (I think) of Prospect Street (the street at the bottom running horizontally).

Now this is important, does anybody know the numbers of the houses covered in the photo, Bob Sharp or someone else perhaps, my dad was born in Prospect Street, and it would be great if the house he was born in was in that photo.

Bottom photo is (again I believe) Middle & East Arthur Place, another of my families haunts.

According to this site ( http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_street_p/0_street_views_-_prospect_street_1959_a904a.htm) , the tenements you see on the left are Prospect Street and the other two blocks are Arthur Street, running down towards the Crags. I'm not sure if that's what you meant, I was a wee bit confused. It happens. :)

The photo appears to have been taken from where I've marked on this map, so the stairs you can see on Prospect Street must be Nos 11 and 13. I hope one of those is the one you were hoping for.

prospect_2.jpg

3 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

According to this site ( http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_street_p/0_street_views_-_prospect_street_1959_a904a.htm) , the tenements you see on the left are Prospect Street and the other two blocks are Arthur Street, running down towards the Crags. I'm not sure if that's what you meant, I was a wee bit confused. It happens. :)

The photo appears to have been taken from where I've marked on this map, so the stairs you can see on Prospect Street must be Nos 11 and 13. I hope one of those is the one you were hoping for.

prospect_2.jpg

Thanks for this diagram, it helps, sort off.

The diagram only shows odd numbers (apart from number 8), I wonder if the even numbers were located on the other side of the block?

He was born in one of the even numbers, not recorded on the diagram.

3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Thanks for this diagram, it helps, sort off.

The diagram only shows odd numbers (apart from number 8), I wonder if the even numbers were located on the other side of the block?

He was born in one of the even numbers, not recorded on the diagram.

I found an older map, from 1918 (left), which shows buildings on the other side of Prospect Street. Those must of been the even numbers. They were obviously demolished before the map from 1951 (right) was drawn. If I come across anything about the missing side of the street I'll let you know.

old_prospect.jpg

7 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I found an older map, from 1918 (left), which shows buildings on the other side of Prospect Street. Those must of been the even numbers. They were obviously demolished before the map from 1951 (right) was drawn. If I come across anything about the missing side of the street I'll let you know.

old_prospect.jpg

I agree, the older map does show that there was another row of houses facing Prospect Street which are not there in the later 1950's map, excellent.

My lot were there from 1920 to 1933, these date I can confirm, they may have been there slightly before or after these dates but not by much either way.

Cheers, thank you, this has helped loads.

P.S. Where did you get the maps from?

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

The Real Maroonblood
9 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_2389.JPG

IMG_2390.JPG

IMG_2391.JPG

Arthur Street. I stayed on the other side of the “ Bowling Green” Brown Street.

We used to play on that green. It must have been used years ago before for playing bowls.

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I agree, the older map does show that there was another row of houses facing Prospect Street which are not there in the later 1950's map, excellent.

My lot were there from 1920 to 1933, these date I can confirm, they may have been there slightly before or after these dates but not by much either way.

Cheers, thank you, this has helped loads.

P.S. Where did you get the maps from?

No problem. 

The maps are on this site:  https://maps.nls.uk/

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_20180823_093605.jpg

IMG_20180823_093559.jpg

IMG_20180823_093537.jpg

IMG_20180823_093442.jpg

The last picture was posted on twitter this morning by Picture this Scotland. 

Idiot did not believe me when I said where it was. 

Maroon Sailor
19 minutes ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

The last picture was posted on twitter this morning by Picture this Scotland. 

Idiot did not believe me when I said where it was. 

It's hard to imagine a Station being there though. This thread is the first time I've seen pictures of Princes Street Station and seeing how it was mapped out.

Shame it's gone really

Not exactly history but since i have seen loads of train pics and maps i thought this is quite interesting. Someone has made a rapid transit/tube type map for Edinburgh, made up of old stations and lines, existing stations and lines and completely made up ones. Would be brilliant but totally unnecessary for Edinburgh. 

fantasy_edinburgh.png

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, cheetah said:

Not exactly history but since i have seen loads of train pics and maps i thought this is quite interesting. Someone has made a rapid transit/tube type map for Edinburgh, made up of old stations and lines, existing stations and lines and completely made up ones. Would be brilliant but totally unnecessary for Edinburgh. 

fantasy_edinburgh.png

I like that map and TF I'm not on the green line !

My old street Buccleuch Place goes to my school Sciennes and my secondary Merchiston (Boroughmuir).

That would have been handy in the day.

J.T.F.Robertson
19 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_2389.JPG

Was that a pub on the corner? (Campbell's?) If so, my grandad (after whom I am named) was a much too frequent patron of it.  

John Findlay
10 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

White telephone box

IMG_1611.JPG

One of Bob's old haunts by the side of the tram.

Maroon Sailor
37 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

White telephone box

IMG_1611.JPG

That looks like the Morningside tram terminus but what Street is it on ?

44 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That looks like the Morningside tram terminus but what Street is it on ?

Belhaven Terrace. 

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

One of Bob's old haunts by the side of the tram.

Never used that one, but many like it.

22 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_2389.JPG

IMG_2390.JPG

IMG_2391.JPG

Have these buildings been demolished?  I cant work out where this is.  Can only think that this area has completely changed with newer streets in its place.  Possibly Briery Bauks and New Arthur Place?

3fingersreid
5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1611.JPGIMG_1615.JPG.8b718462cbcb712c00bf195c6f8f2de6.JPG

Why would the team tracks be laid down that way , or were the workers just pissed ?

Montgomery Brewster
2 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Why would the team tracks be laid down that way , or were the workers just pissed ?

That’s the end of the line. To go back the way - they switched the track to go back in the other side. 

2 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

I think it was a terminus so the tracks were that way so the tram could be switched to go in the opposite direction

Maroon Sailor
7 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

Have these buildings been demolished?  I cant work out where this is.  Can only think that this area has completely changed with newer streets in its place.  Possibly Briery Bauks and New Arthur Place?

It's Salisbury Street - on the bottom of this old map. Not sure if that Street is still there. The 14 bus goes along West and East Richmond street and turns right at where The Pleasance / Salisbury Street Junction is.

Tough gig for a postman that Street by the looks of it.

IMG_2395.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

9 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1611.JPGIMG_1615.JPG.8b718462cbcb712c00bf195c6f8f2de6.JPG

I note the sign for the cemetery on the right, was the cemetery there originally I think its now further along Balcares street ?

The Real Maroonblood
On 22/08/2018 at 23:33, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_2389.JPG

IMG_2390.JPG

IMG_2391.JPG

8 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

In a previous post I said that was Arthur Street.

it is in fact Salisbury Street.

1 hour ago, maroongoals said:

I note the sign for the cemetery on the right, was the cemetery there originally I think its now further along Balcares street ?

Old maps show the cemetery pretty much where it is now, but that entrance has been replaced though some of the fence and pillars are still there. 

I suspect a lot of the cemetery may have been 'parkland' and un-used in that area. So the council decided to sell it off for housing space and created Belhaven Place.

https://goo.gl/maps/u3Dm5F882gE2

3fingersreid
5 hours ago, bobsharp said:

I think it was a terminus so the tracks were that way so the tram could be switched to go in the opposite direction

Cheers Bob & Montgomery Brewster, was there a specific reason tho as to why the return rails aren't straight tho ? Got to add I'm probably being thick and it'll be a simple answer ?

Maroon Sailor
13 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Cheers Bob & Montgomery Brewster, was there a specific reason tho as to why the return rails aren't straight tho ? Got to add I'm probably being thick and it'll be a simple answer ?

If they were straight on that bend the gap between the tracks wouldn't be wide enough if another tram was on that corner at the same time. A tram would wait there until the terminus was free.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

9 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

One track there, one track back. 

There will be a way to switch the track similar to a railway points system. 

Maroon Sailor
13 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

Unfortunately they have been demolished and it's taken one of the best street views / backdrop in Edinburgh with it. 

IMG_2391.JPG

The newer streets are as you have them. Well more like housing and a footpath

Edited by Maroon Sailor

13 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Unfortunately they have been demolished and it's taken one of the best street views / backdrop in Edinburgh with it. 

IMG_2391.JPG

The newer streets are as you have them. Well more like housing and a footpath

Thanks for the info.  The buildings in the above photo look nice so it surprises me the were demolished.  The old map is also interesting as many streets no longer exist.  You would never have know there was a South, North and East Richmond st etc.

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

If they were straight on that bend the gap between the tracks wouldn't be wide enough if another tram was on that corner at the same time. A tram would wait there until the terminus was free.

That’s what I’m looking for , I just thought it would’ve been more like a X to change the line back .

cheers for the replies ??