Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Thought the Lord Darnley was at West Port ?

It certainly was.  Became Kas Rock I think.  Opposite the Western Bar.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unknown user
Just now, Morgan said:

It certainly was.  Became Kas Rock I think.  Opposite the Western Bar.

Cas Rock, but yes. I was wondering if there was two myself, I'm glad someone said something

2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Bottom of the Canongate?  The building with the three gable ends is still there, but those either side gone.

I don’t think that is the bottom of the Canongate.  Wife’s dad was brought up down there and she says that doesn’t look familiar at all.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Cas Rock, but yes. I was wondering if there was two myself, I'm glad someone said something

Yeah Cas.

You're right again!

Unknown user
Just now, Morgan said:

Yeah Cas.

You're right again!

I have photos from when my band played there many moons ago, me standing in front of the big "Cas Rock" backdrop - I can't claim superior feats of memory here!

Just now, Smithee said:

I have photos from when my band played there many moons ago, me standing in front of the big "Cas Rock" backdrop - I can't claim superior feats of memory here!

Aye well,  I s’pose that would help just a wee bit! :) 

Stuart Lyon
5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Thought the Lord Darnley was at West Port ?

The original Lord Darnley is shown in the photo at the bottom of the Canongate! It was demolished circa 1971. If you zoom in on the photo you should be able to make out the name.

Stuart Lyon

From another angle if you zoom in on the photo you will see the word Lord to the right of the word Spirits

Again if you look above the lorry parked outside you will see part of the very high wall that surrounded the old Abbey brewery.

01660385.jpg

1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

The original Lord Darnley is shown in the photo at the bottom of the Canongate! It was demolished circa 1971. If you zoom in on the photo you should be able to make out the name.

1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

From another angle if you zoom in on the photo you will see the word Lord to the right of the word Spirits

Again if you look above the lorry parked outside you will see part of the very high wall that surrounded the old Abbey brewery.

01660385.jpg

Good stuff as usual Stuart :thumbsup: 

16 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Morgan a wee bit more on the area circa 1946

Abbey_Strand_Area_OS_Map_1946.png

Thanks Stuart :thumbsup:  I love these things.

I may have a wee question for you later on.

A couple of earlier additions to that map as well; 

Abbey_Strand_Area_OS_Map_1946.thumb.png.35e7ea5e0358164b0697ba98a94ed00b.png.112f58ab3ad7914bed17005ebb67a505.png

My map from 1852 only shows and names the Crown, Abbey T and Queens Arms. 

Stuart Lyon
1 hour ago, SUTOL said:

A couple of earlier additions to that map as well; 

Abbey_Strand_Area_OS_Map_1946.thumb.png.35e7ea5e0358164b0697ba98a94ed00b.png.112f58ab3ad7914bed17005ebb67a505.png

My map from 1852 only shows and names the Crown, Abbey T and Queens Arms. 

Good one SUTOL - I too have the map with the Crown, Abbey & Queens Arms - added the arrows for the 4 on my map. Couldn't find the the one to match yours but I know it is somewhere

1 minute ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Good one SUTOL - I too have the map with the Crown, Abbey & Queens Arms - added the arrows for the 4 on my map. Couldn't find the the one to match yours but I know it is somewhere

There was a police box right at the foot of the Canongate, the story was that an old polis was in the box during the war when a vehicle ran into it, the old guy who probably escaped from being held hostage at the nearby brewery thought he had been hit by a bomb.

Stuart Lyon

Bob the Police Box is shown on SUTOL's map (PCB) with the public toilets beside it in the middle of the road. The public toilet was moved eventually from the middle into the side of the Abbey Brewery before being demolished to make way for the Scottish Parliament building.

SUTOL - heres my plan showing all 3 PHs by name

Abbey_Strand_2.png

When I first started in early 1956 the beat policeman on the Canongate beat still got a pint of pundy with the brewery workers at lunch time, the first time I worked the beat I went in to get the pint and the guy serving them told me to get lost I was too young. never ever went back, and of course as the old guys retired so did the old habits.

The plaque below is on the wall of the Tartan Weaving Mill, in the Lawnmarket.

It marks the spot where more than 300 witches were burned at the stake.

whitches-well.jpg

9 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

The plaque below is on the wall of the Tartan Weaving Mill, in the Lawnmarket.

It marks the spot where more than 300 witches were burned at the stake.

whitches-well.jpg

I in my time think I have met a few of their female ancestors.:cornette_dog:

10 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I in my time think I have met a few of their female ancestors.:cornette_dog:

Probably not their ancestors Bob, but maybe their descendants!  :tongue:

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Probably not their ancestors Bob, but maybe their descendants!  :tongue:

:mad:   I knew I had been the victim of a spell, I was told some day it would show up, todays the day.

On 07/08/2018 at 09:38, Maroon Sailor said:

My old school near the top of this picture. Not there anymore

IMG_20180202_193605.jpg

You can almost see the roof of my old tenement in dumbryden grove. You can definitely see some of the porta cabins I used to go to when there, but a few years after this photo. Started there in P1 in 78, moved away in 81.

21 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Yup, the other side of the street.

The top pic is Lauriston Farm Road or thereabouts - I recognize it and just checked Google

maps. 

On 8/7/2018 at 19:38, Maroon Sailor said:

Anybody recognise this ?

IMG_1430.JPG

It's Cramond - dead ahead takes you to Quality Street & Ferry Rd. Down to the left  is Silverknowes golf course & Lauriston Farm. 

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

It's Cramond - dead ahead takes you to Quality Street & Ferry Rd. Down to the left  is Silverknowes golf course & Lauriston Farm. 

Cramond or Barnton ?

Maroon Sailor
5 hours ago, jb102 said:

Morningside Place?

It's Barnton Gardens opposite these houses

IMG_1430.JPGIMG_1436.JPG

40 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

London Road next to Meadowbank Retail Park. The stadium is down the road. 

Thanks, it was really annoying me to where I'd seen it

luckyBatistuta
18 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

qmb2.jpgbathhouse.jpg

My parents had their first flat just around the corner on Calton Road. They said there was beetles crawling out the walls and mice everywhere. They had to go to the shared outside toilet before 9pm or they had to wait until the morning otherwise. They moved from there to Marchmont and shortly after, those Calton Road flats were demolished.

Looking at these old photographs of the buildings down there, what year did they knock down the houses in your photograph and was the land stolen by the Royal family. The grounds where the houses were is now behind the fence.

FF5B8A58-880D-4ECC-839C-B039173199CC.jpeg

8 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

My parents had their first flat just around the corner on Calton Road. They said there was beetles crawling out the walls and mice everywhere. They had to go to the shared outside toilet before 9pm or they had to wait until the morning otherwise. They moved from there to Marchmont and shortly after, those Calton Road flats were demolished.

Looking at these old photographs of the buildings down there, what year did they knock down the houses in your photograph and was the land stolen by the Royal family. The grounds where the houses were is now behind the fence.

FF5B8A58-880D-4ECC-839C-B039173199CC.jpeg

I don't know when they were knocked down.  A map from 1944 shows them still there, but on one from 1963, they're gone.

The land may have been originally owned by Holyrood Abbey, so that's maybe how it became part of the Palace grounds.

The Real Maroonblood
50 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Fantastic.

it’s amazes me the photographs and film which people have of our great city.

luckyBatistuta
43 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I don't know when they were knocked down.  A map from 1944 shows them still there, but on one from 1963, they're gone.

The land may have been originally owned by Holyrood Abbey, so that's maybe how it became part of the Palace grounds.

My parents moved out of the Calton Road flats around 64,65. It was the other flats in the grounds that I was curious about, don’t think they were taken down at the same time.

Maroon Sailor

That video about the trams is fascinating. A man running after one as it goes round at Firrhill heading down to Craiglockhart and just jumping on it whilst moving made me smile.

Some great footage throughout

Edited by Maroon Sailor

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That video about the trams is fascinating. A man running after one as it goes round at Firrhill heading down to Craiglockhart and just jumping on it whilst moving made me smile.

Some great footage throughout

Like me you probably did it with the buses.

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Me too!  Leaping on the back of the bus was brilliant.

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I have probably related it before, but used to get a number 2 bus at Dalkeith Road at Preston Street when working late shift at Niddrie. Sometimes just getting to the stop a wee bit late and the driver would slow down for me to get on the bus. One day I arrived just like that and the bus was coming and I just tried to jump on as usual, but he didn't slow down got one foot on the step, hold of one rail but could not get the other hand or foot aboard. I guess I looked like I was skateboarding the bus but the difficult part was when the bus stopped, getting on with dignity to make it look like I meant to be boarding that way.

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

I have probably related it before, but used to get a number 2 bus at Dalkeith Road at Preston Street when working late shift at Niddrie. Sometimes just getting to the stop a wee bit late and the driver would slow down for me to get on the bus. One day I arrived just like that and the bus was coming and I just tried to jump on as usual, but he didn't slow down got one foot on the step, hold of one rail but could not get the other hand or foot aboard. I guess I looked like I was skateboarding the bus but the difficult part was when the bus stopped, getting on with dignity to make it look like I meant to be boarding that way.

Bob on his way to Niddrie

IMG_2213.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

5 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

If anyone fancies a wee read:-  http://www.oldandnewedinburgh.co.uk/

I just learned from a quick deek at it, that the Pleasance's name was originally Placentia, named after an Italian city (now Piacenza).

Cheers for posting this link - fascinating stuff.

My tuppence worth - Burdiehouse is actually a corruption of Bordeaux house - named after  a place that was some kind of inn , selling French wines .