Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

I don't know how they got permission to knock down Fairmile Inn I thought it was a listed building.

Edited by FORTHCLYDE

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right, we’ve had this for years but don’t know exactly where in Edinburgh it is.  We have two ‘educated guesses’ however.

Where do you lot think it is?

94CA7746-9F51-498C-A5E7-2ECC46D2215B.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_2057.JPG

IMG_2058.JPG

IMG_2059.JPG

Is that the boozer that used to be called the Hillburn?  Over the Fairmilehead crossroads heading out of town?

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Right, we’ve had this for years but don’t know exactly where in Edinburgh it is.  We have two ‘educated guesses’ however.

Looks like High St outside Carrubbers  Close.

1 minute ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

Looks like High St outside Carrubbers  Close.

Tremendous!

Our two options were: The High Street (wouldn’t have narrowed it down as well as you have though) and High Riggs at Tollcross. We also briefly toyed with the Grassmarket.

Maroon Sailor
18 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Is that the boozer that used to be called the Hillburn?  Over the Fairmilehead crossroads heading out of town?

I don't know of the Hillburn. This is a bit further down from the Fairmilehead crossroads towards Hillend

been here before
52 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Is the road down to the left heading towards Balgreen?

Thought at first it was Morningside but its Ferry Road I reckon. Opposite the football or Rugby pitches.

1 hour ago, superjack said:

I was on the train coming into Edinburgh today. Just before Edinburgh park station, around gogarburn station road, there are some wooden buildings that look like they were once army barracks. Does anyone know what they were/are?

1 hour ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

That’s the chicken farm 

You used to be able to smell the place from Sighthill/ Wester Hailes. For some reason it was worse on a frosty morning.

Carl Fredrickson
30 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I know you have already had a reply but I had two initial thoughts - either Nicolson Street next to the old Odeon Cinema or the Royal Mile, next to John Knoxs House. 

Governor Tarkin
29 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Aye it was the Hillburn once upon a time.

The Fairmile Inn reminds me of the Crook Inn in the Scottish Borders. Bus parties used to go there from Edinburgh.

It's closed down for over ten years but the building is still there. Tweedsmuir community are trying to raise funds to make it a community centre.

220px-CrookInn.jpg

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Yeah.

Theyve been planting eggs there for generations.

I thought if you planted eggs you would get aubergines, not chickens.

34 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Aye it was the Hillburn once upon a time.

Thanks Gov. :thumbsup: 

36 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I know you have already had a reply but I had two initial thoughts - either Nicolson Street next to the old Odeon Cinema or the Royal Mile, next to John Knoxs House. 

Aye, the buildings look about right for Nicolson Street.

:turmoil: 

47 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I don't know of the Hillburn. This is a bit further down from the Fairmilehead crossroads towards Hillend

Yep, that’s where it was.

Carl Fredrickson
14 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Aye, the buildings look about right for Nicolson Street.

:turmoil: 

Looking at Google street view hasnt helped me. The street in your photo doesnt look as if it is on much of a slope (if any). The parts of the Royal Mile i have looked at are on a bit of a slope which is noticeable. 

Nicholson Street would be my best guess BUT the two bricked up windows cant be seen on GSV. It is possible that they may have been turned back into windows - or i could be barking up the wrong tree.......

Edit there are two columns of blocked up windows opposite the old Odeon but they are 4 in each column. I also cannot see where the small metal cage things outside the windows would be but the street looks as if it has had a lot of work done to it. 

Over to some of the detectives on this thread to investigate.

Edited by Carl Fredrickson

Montgomery Brewster
2 hours ago, been here before said:

Yeah.

Theyve been planting eggs there for generations.

?

Montgomery Brewster
8 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Was that a pub on the corner ?

IMG_1318.JPG

I think it was the Edinburgh Savings Bank prior to being tsb 

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

I think it was the Edinburgh Savings Bank prior to being tsb 

Ah right - looks a bit like an old fashioned pub

Is that a scoreboard I see on the school end ?

3 hours ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

I don't know how they got permission to knock down Fairmile Inn I thought it was a listed building.

If that is the old Hillburn Roadhouse, when I worked in the Viewforth Garage ,Viewforth Terrace, the owner a lady was a customer, I believe she owned a couple of pubs. Our boss and his wife frequented the place on Friday nights. I think it was fairly classy in its day.

Edited by bobsharp

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Opposite the (old) Royal Infirmary ? 

It ís

17 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Opposite the (old) Royal Infirmary ? 

When I worked the Infirmary beat, the box at top of Middle Meadow Walk, the Barbecue was a good source of a hot meal to be consumed in the police box, the action of sitting in a restaurant on duty was not yet accepted.

Maroon Sailor
7 hours ago, Morgan said:

Foot of the Walk looking onto Constitution Street?  Big pub on the right corner (Central bar?)

IMG_1255.JPG

IMG_2082.JPG

The Real Maroonblood
52 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

If that is the old Hillburn Roadhouse, when I worked in the Viewforth Garage ,Viewforth Terrace, the owner a lady was a customer, I believe she owned a couple of pubs. Our boss and his wife frequented the place on Friday nights. I think it was fairly classy in its day.

It was just an ordinary pub with a skittle alley.

37 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

When I worked the Infirmary beat, the box at top of Middle Meadow Walk, the Barbecue was a good source of a hot meal to be consumed in the police box, the action of sitting in a restaurant on duty was not yet accepted.

When was this - I can remember the pub (Doctors - it was a pub before that too ?). 

Picture of Portobello open air pool and to the right was a 20'000 capacity (terraced) ground used for football amongst other things in the 1910s I think

SC01438556.jpg

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

When was this - I can remember the pub (Doctors - it was a pub before that too ?). 

I think it was The Mortar Bar.

7 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Looking at Google street view hasnt helped me. The street in your photo doesnt look as if it is on much of a slope (if any). The parts of the Royal Mile i have looked at are on a bit of a slope which is noticeable. 

Nicholson Street would be my best guess BUT the two bricked up windows cant be seen on GSV. It is possible that they may have been turned back into windows - or i could be barking up the wrong tree.......

Edit there are two columns of blocked up windows opposite the old Odeon but they are 4 in each column. I also cannot see where the small metal cage things outside the windows would be but the street looks as if it has had a lot of work done to it. 

Over to some of the detectives on this thread to investigate.

The fishwives used to sit on the corner of Richmond Sreet at the north east corner of Nicolson Street, where the number 2 bus turned. Used to buy cockls there when we went to the La Scala on a Saturday afternoon. Even for the penny cost got a pin to pull them out of the shell Christ my stomach is turning now thinking about the big bag full and eating them all watching the movie. No wonder with the crap we ate constipation was never a problem

4 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Probably early to mid sixties, once in a while they would take me and my regular Niddrie partner out of there as we were becoming too much like the people we were policing so one of us would get Marshal Street and the other The Infirmary beat. That came to an end one night when we arrested five impaired drivers in the same night, the ,last one right outside the Braid Police ofice. So back to Niddrie.

The Real Maroonblood
5 hours ago, bobsharp said:

The fishwives used to sit on the corner of Richmond Sreet at the north east corner of Nicolson Street, where the number 2 bus turned. Used to buy cockls there when we went to the La Scala on a Saturday afternoon. Even for the penny cost got a pin to pull them out of the shell Christ my stomach is turning now thinking about the big bag full and eating them all watching the movie. No wonder with the crap we ate constipation was never a problem

I remember that.

We called them buckies.

Maroon Sailor
17 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Last time I was up there it was. But that was a while ago. 

edit- yes it is, according to Google street view

Went past that little island today on Ferry Road / Goldenacre - they've narrowed the road by it. Must be a reason for keeping it as it's not serving much purpose now by the look of it. RBS is something else now as well

IMG_2045.JPG

IMG_2046.JPG

8 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Went past that little island today on Ferry Road / Goldenacre - they've narrowed the road by it. Must be a reason for keeping it as it's not serving much purpose now by the look of it. RBS is something else now as well

IMG_2045.JPG

IMG_2046.JPG

It’s a bar/bistro now, the herringbone I think.

Maroon Sailor
Just now, obua said:

It’s a bar/bistro now, the herringbone I think.

That's it The Herringbone 

Cheers