• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, obua said:

Moffat would get jailed nowadays 😱

Yeah - I was thinking the same.    Just as well there was no internet back then for them to put their photos on !!

Footballfirst
14 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Ramsey Gardens.

The photo is taken from Ramsay Garden (no "s") and shows Ramsay Lane, The Mound and the RSA.

Seymour M Hersh
57 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The photo is taken from Ramsay Garden (no "s") and shows Ramsay Lane, The Mound and the RSA.

You just can't help yourself can you. 

Interesting mention of an old landowning family (Russell) who owned Roseburn House.   Confusingly, its NOT in Russell Road, but according to old maps it was between Roseburn Street and Roseburn Crescent - roughly between the primary school and the east entrance to Murrayfield stadium.  Its grounds extended into what is now Roseburn Park.  There seems to have been a  flour  & paper mill nearby, probably owned by the Russells too.  

Roseburn House

It seems that today it lies  within the grounds of number 68 Roseburn Street.  You can't actually see it from the street , but here's what it looks like now after various alterations over the centuries.  Nice to see a fair wee  bit of it still standing.

Roseburn House, Edinburgh

image.jpeg.bac8b5b2d1d70909ca4228a753a9c92b.jpeg

image.jpeg.cab5f070c1dbd0d67f6bf4a08fa42d7b.jpeg

11 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Do they still have the back room cinema with cushion seating?

Never ben in it, but I see the board on the right of the door refers to it as a 'movie bar'.

joondalupjambo
7 minutes ago, Daktari said:

Never ben in it, but I see the board on the right of the door refers to it as a 'movie bar'.

Ok name bother.  Sounds like it is still there given the notice.  Could not enlarge enough on phone to see it so thanks for highlighting it.  Yeah you could book the room, use their films or bring one and get drinks brought to you.  Mainly aimed at the regular Student clientele.  Good boozer with great real ales last time I was in.

Also they had a b/w photo on the right hand wall as you enter of the Scotland team on the pitch in their civvies before one of the England games.  I think it was the 1967 one.  Anyway far right is Charlie Cooke with a gag in his hand🙂

Biggar Road roundabout junction with Edinburgh Bypass A701… | Flickr

There was an excellent site on the net a few years ago with a huge photo library detailing the construction of the Edinburgh bypass.

I can't find it anywhere.🙄

53 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

1B2E682C-FE05-444F-9AF1-6E8FED75332D.jpeg

Steak and chips in the disco restaurant then nip next door to the Classic cinema for a mucky movie. Surgeon's Hall had it all. 

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Edinburgh 1961 by Charles W Cushman. 

3F541A40-B823-4688-ACEE-22107CB436F6.jpeg

1722D111-6DA5-4938-887A-4D47D3DD93E9.jpeg

CF20DF3F-853F-4CFC-BB85-C80EB478A0CA.jpeg

D0AD4C7F-E8C8-4030-A314-52C9E383F63F.jpeg

It must have been busy the cop has surrendered. Actually his right hand is stopping the oncoming traffic, while his left hand is beckoning the bus to complete its right turn on to Princes Street.

Carl Fredrickson
28 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

641EA1F3-F0B5-4CED-98C4-2A89D33B5679.jpeg

FA419B0A-D5ED-443B-B501-C711272EB0F2.jpeg

CA3B8F57-9273-4825-8ADE-6BFF448B5D56.jpeg

So many memories of waiting on buses home from concerts and work before I passed my driving test in the 1980s. Also visited many friends round the country by bus and they would leave from the north part of the station (2nd pic). I mind the wee newsagent/confectioner and that is where I bought the EEN the day Mo Johnson singed for Rangers FC (RIP). 

been here before
7 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I mind the wee newsagent/confectioner and that is where I bought the EEN the day Mo Johnson singed for Rangers FC (RIP). 

Thete was a bigger John Menzies or WH Smiths at one end but the wee one at the other end was owned by ex Hearts player, Captain, Coach, Director and Cairman Bobby Parker.

Carl Fredrickson
33 minutes ago, been here before said:

Thete was a bigger John Menzies or WH Smiths at one end but the wee one at the other end was owned by ex Hearts player, Captain, Coach, Director and Cairman Bobby Parker.

Thanks for the info, I didnt know that.