• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shanks said no
30 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Gorgie, 1915, I thought McVities was on the site of where Feranti was but the railway is throwing me 

9CB8781E-E049-4A05-A8B2-E4FC89B4792C.jpeg

Don't think this is the St Andrews Biscuit Works, Robertson Avenue, think the BBC are wrong 

Looks more like Harlesden London built in 1902

https://mcvities.co.uk/about

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

Radio Ga Ga
3 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Don't think this is the St Andrews Biscuit Works, Robertson Avenue, think the BBC are wrong 

Looks more like Harlesden London built in 1902

https://mcvities.co.uk/about

Yes, definitely London looking at that website, the website I got the photo from said Gorgie 1915, clearly not the case. Beautiful building none the less. 

Shanks said no
6 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Yes, definitely London looking at that website, the website I got the photo from said Gorgie 1915, clearly not the case. Beautiful building none the less. 

Here's where I found the BBC link

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-57084762

There was a brass plaque on the wall 3/4 of the way up Robbie Ave, saying when McVities built it. Unsure if its still there.

6 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

C8A28B21-8A7C-4B75-A73B-FA70351C9F78.jpeg

751AE67D-7502-41D9-8F10-D7A89BE36120.jpeg

I think the top one is Corstorphine, looking towards St. John's Road?

56 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I think the top one is Corstorphine, looking towards St. John's Road?

I think the hotel on the left is now beside ,(maybe even part of?),the Toby Carvery.

2 minutes ago, Meathook said:

I think the hotel on the left is now beside ,(maybe even part of?),the Toby Carvery.

It’s not my part of town, but my grandparents lived in St John’s Road, sort of opposite Station Road.  That’s how I recognised it. 

5 minutes ago, Meathook said:

There was a pub there, many moons ago, but I can’t remember it’s name.

Perhaps you do?  If not, I think @Harry Potter will know it.

1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

C8A28B21-8A7C-4B75-A73B-FA70351C9F78.jpeg

751AE67D-7502-41D9-8F10-D7A89BE36120.jpeg

That was my main area after I moved to Corstorphine with my new bride in 1960,

37 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Was the Harp Hotel when it had a public bar.

Harry Potter
44 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Was called the Harp hotel a few years back, which is now the toby carvery /hotel,

The harp hotel had a large bar called blazers done up in about 1988, a haunt where Wayne Foster and Neil Berry could be found, 

Not sure of the exact date of the change from the Harp to Toby but im sure it was the late 90s.

Before 1988 the Harp hotel had 2 bars , one a lounge , and a public bar with darts and dominoes, i frequented these bars quite often .

Edited by Harry Potter

1 hour ago, Biko said:

Was the Harp Hotel when it had a public bar.

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Was called the Harp hotel a few years back, which is now the toby carvery /hotel,

The harp hotel had a large bar called blazers done up in about 1988, a haunt where Wayne Foster and Neil Berry could be found, 

Not sure of the exact date of the change from the Harp to Toby but im sure it was the late 90s.

Before 1988 the Harp hotel had 2 bars , one a lounge , and a public bar with darts and dominoes, i frequented these bars quite often .

That’s it!

The Harp.

Thanks, lads.  👍

36 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

8190E91C-6CA3-4618-8762-AB1E47EEAF3E.jpeg

Prefabs remember them being instituted just after the war. When I started on the Niddie beat Greendykes was all still prefabs. When they started to remove them some of the occupants pleaded that they  wanted to stay in theirs.

18 hours ago, Morgan said:

That’s it!

The Harp.

Thanks, lads.  👍

Had many a pint in theer when I lived in Wester Broom then Clerwood.

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Rose Street 1957

925DD561-C693-49E5-BDB4-970E6FA2BF1A.jpeg

Think that might be across from The Kenilworth.

43 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

McVitie & Price, Robertson Avenue 1935

056EA6AC-8694-4BDA-9CBC-92BB0B0C4109.jpeg

My wife worked in the office in Robertson Avenue, she only left in 1963 when she was expecting our first child.

luckyBatistuta
52 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

A6951F51-E20B-481E-9E3A-7C4027F4AF84.jpeg

Leaving night from Sciennes Primary school in there, loved the place, especially coming back from the Commie

ArcticJambo
14 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Leaving night from Sciennes Primary school in there, loved the place, especially coming back from the Commie

If you were in P7 at Preston Street, what Secondary would you go to? Was walking past around midday, heard the kids playing and wondered this question?

General question for anybody, just used your post to ask it, lucky. :D

luckyBatistuta
32 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

If you were in P7 at Preston Street, what Secondary would you go to? Was walking past around midday, heard the kids playing and wondered this question?

Think in my day, they would have went to Boroughmuir, knew quite a few guys from Southside and Dumbiedykes who went to Boroghmuir. Probably Gillespies these days.

1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

Prior to 1972 they might have gone to James Clark's at St Leonards.

conn artist
55 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Think in my day, they would have went to Boroughmuir, knew quite a few guys from Southside and Dumbiedykes who went to Boroghmuir. Probably Gillespies these days.

It's was gilliespies in my day and I left in 1997. 

36 minutes ago, conn artist said:

in my day 1947 those with a brilliant brain such as I went to Boroughmuir the less intelligent went to James Clarks, Jimmy's. It was good for those poor souls It was straight down St Leonards Street so even they couldn't get lost, at least not all the time.😇

ArcticJambo
1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

54 minutes ago, Meathook said:

Prior to 1972 they might have gone to James Clark's at St Leonards.

40 minutes ago, conn artist said:

Ahh, was forgetting about Gillespies.  Maybe even St Tams!

John Findlay
4 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

St Tam's was purely Catholic when I went there in 1975, the first group of boys to do so since 1939. There was 80 boys to 700 girls.

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

0959AA30-17ED-4FBF-94A8-6A40101AB251.jpeg

Lauriston Place Fire Station. Lady Lawson Street going off to the left beyond the folks talking. 

ArcticJambo
2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

St Tam's was purely Catholic when I went there in 1975, the first group of boys to do so since 1939. There was 80 boys to 700 girls.

It was purely girls then before 75?  Must have been tough for you, John! :D

John Findlay
11 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

It was purely girls then before 75?  Must have been tough for you, John! :D

Was purely girls from 1939-1975. It was hell😁

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, conn artist said:

I left 1984

51 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Didn’t want to go there, constant beatings on Bruntsfield links from us Boroughmuir boys💪🏻

Oh wait, Gillespies got a hiding regular too💪🏻

ArcticJambo
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I left 1984

Didn’t want to go there, constant beatings on Bruntsfield links from us Boroughmuir boys💪🏻

Again, on my walk today (back from Tynie) past the new school  I noticed that they had one of those urban roof-top outdoor caged pitches - must be quite cool to much around in that.

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, ArcticJambo said:

Again, on my walk today (back from Tynie) past the new school  I noticed that they had one of those urban roof-top outdoor caged pitches - must be quite cool to much around in that.

Not keen on the new school, although according to someone who knows a bit, it’s fantastic.

I picked this passenger up one night snd as we drove past the new Boroughmuir school, I mentioned that I wasn’t a fan. He told me had been around it and it was tremendous. I said it was probably because I went to the old building. He then asked why I didn’t know who he was. Couldn’t see him in the dark... but it was only the legend... Mr Swan

ArcticJambo
15 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Not keen on the new school, although according to someone who knows a bit, it’s fantastic.

I picked this passenger up one night snd as we drove past the new Boroughmuir school, I mentioned that I wasn’t a fan. He told me had been around it and it was tremendous. I said it was probably because I went to the old building. He then asked why I didn’t know who he was. Couldn’t see him in the dark... but it was only the legend... Mr Swan

warriors-then-now.jpg

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Lauriston Place Fire Station. Lady Lawson Street going off to the left beyond the folks talking. 

I dropped in there one day when the guys were doing there vehicle clean up. They offered or dared me to go up in the ladder. I accepted the challenge, the frightening bit to me was when I lay down on the ladder and got strapped in, it then was sort of jerky as it got up, once it was ready to extend it was quite pleasant they took it up quite a bit , then leaned it over some and displayed me to the windows of the NCB offices across the road. The girls came to the widows are were waving to me, it was quite funny. When I got down I had made new friends with the firemen who respected my acceptance of the challenge.  I had many a cup of tea in that hall later.

Edited by Sharpie

ArcticJambo

^^ Had a shot of the pole at an open day in 2014. :sweeet:

I should emphasise that it was the LP Fire Station Pole, and that I am on the correct thread and not the Lap Dancing Clubs Banned in Edinburgh one!

Edited by ArcticJambo

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I left 1984

Couple of Tynie lads got a bit of a doing off bmuir bums so next day around seventy of us Tynie lads marched upto Bmuir for a scrap it was like the ok corral a few bloody noses but more pavement dancing than anything serious cops turned up and everyone scarpered this was circa 1972