• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maroon Sailor
16 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Very , very famous in his day. 

The ladies loved him but he didn't love the ladies. 

Looking at his Wiki page there seemed to be a lot of people that didn't like him

I've had a great time paging through this thread over the past few nights. I'm just about halfway through catching up but thought I'd try to post a couple of mine I have scanned. See if anyone can spot the potential disaster in this one...

Triumph mounted team 1975.bmp

Edited by Daktari

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Daktari said:

And is there a 'how to' somewhere tat tells me how to upload photos properly?  🙄

Hit ‘Add Files’ and select your photograph, simple as that bud👍

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

A couple of them types were they 🤨☹️

I couldn't say that it was the usual for rookies, and I became as big a user of it as anyone. I may be wrong but for some reason I feel that Catherwood had some dealings with the police football teams, or something that gave him a orm of reputation.

Tried the photo again, and even clicked 'insert' to put it in the main body of the message,  but it still wants to load in as a file rather than an image. Sorry for the mess!

Edited by Daktari

Maroon Sailor
14 minutes ago, Daktari said:

Tried the photo again, and even clicked 'insert' to put it in the main body of the message,  but it still wants to load in as a file rather than an image. Sorry for the mess!

20220126_190307.jpg

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Christ they probably broke down every time they had to chase someone if they were on Norton Commandos. 

I was a wee bit concerned about the Chief Superintendent entering the first left hand bend with the side stand still down....😣

14 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Laurence Harvey

Thank you very much for identifying Laurence Harvey.

I have read the thread in more depth now and it seems Mr Harvey may have hailed from Peebles.

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

St Andrews Square looking towards Harvey Nics

Been a long time since a vehicle moved in that direction at St Andrew's Square.

The way things are going there might not be any vehicles moving at all there.

luckyBatistuta
7 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Been a long time since a vehicle moved in that direction at St Andrew's Square.

The way things are going there might not be any vehicles moving at all there.

It certainly is. It takes ages to drive around it now with a set of lights on every corner and also the wonderful tram, which is probably the single biggest cause of congestion in the city centre. The council are certainly doing their best to make it so difficult and frustrating for motorists in the city centre. They’re going to kill off all the shops and businesses. It’s difficult enough already for them without the council’s madness.

4 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

It certainly is. It takes ages to drive around it now with a set of lights on every corner and also the wonderful tram, which is probably the single biggest cause of congestion in the city centre. The council are certainly doing their best to make it so difficult and frustrating for motorists in the city centre. They’re going to kill off all the shops and businesses. It’s difficult enough already for them without the council’s madness.

Sitting at the front of the bus last night with my son, on the way to the game and I noticed that they've somehow contrived to make a once proud and wide thoroughfare, Princes Street look claustrophobic.  Bus passing the tram on the inside with barely any room. Road markings that barely make sense anymore.  An utter mess.  All very sad!

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, ArcticJambo said:

Sitting at the front of the bus last night with my son, on the way to the game and I noticed that they've somehow contrived to make a once proud and wide thoroughfare, Princes Street look claustrophobic.  Bus passing the tram on the inside with barely any room. Road markings that barely make sense anymore.  An utter mess.  All very sad!

It really is, a once bustling city centre full of local residents, now full of deliberately caused congestion with business slowly dying out, as more and more folks stay away. 

30 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

It really is, a once bustling city centre full of local residents, now full of deliberately caused congestion with business slowly dying out, as more and more folks stay away. 

This is a great thread but it's so sad to see the architectural vandalism that's been done to Princes Street in particular over the years. Some stunning old buildings taken down for bland, characterless concrete horrors. I guess else where in the city, some of the really old buildings and streets were probably at the point of being beyond financially viable restoration, but still sad that a lot of that individuality has gone.

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, Daktari said:

This is a great thread but it's so sad to see the architectural vandalism that's been done to Princes Street in particular over the years. Some stunning old buildings taken down for bland, characterless concrete horrors. I guess else where in the city, some of the really old buildings and streets were probably at the point of being beyond financially viable restoration, but still sad that a lot of that individuality has gone.

And they’re not even finished yet☹️

as you say, it’s a great thread. It’s not even just for the erseholes on here, brought so many memories and smiles to older family members.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

No doubt covered already in this thread, but what's the story with Canal Street Station, which is now Waverley Station?

I assume there must've been a Canal Street hence the name, but search results only mention the station and struggling to find a Canal Street on old maps.

Also, why Canal Street? Was there a canal there? Seems a silly question almost, but where was it, where did it come from and where did it go? 

been here before
18 minutes ago, Locky said:

No doubt covered already in this thread, but what's the story with Canal Street Station, which is now Waverley Station?

I assume there must've been a Canal Street hence the name, but search results only mention the station and struggling to find a Canal Street on old maps.

Also, why Canal Street? Was there a canal there? Seems a silly question almost, but where was it, where did it come from and where did it go? 

map.gif.7fc60b3d2767f330ee385482b88d9e6d.gif

It was named Canal Street station from the nearby street which took its name from an ornamental canal that was proposed to be formed from the Nor Loch, but never built

It was built over by wjat is now Waverley Market.

Edited by been here before

Maroon Sailor
4 hours ago, Locky said:

Despite having been closed for over 130 years, the terminus of the old Canal Street Station can still be found opposite Platform 19 in Waverley Station.

0_edinburgh_transport_railways_canal_street_-_opp_platform_19_1yo18 (1).jpg

Edited by Maroon Sailor

7 hours ago, Locky said:

The Canal Street station was the start/end of the Edinburgh to Granton line. 
It ran to Granton via Trinity station and on its way there the Scotland Street station adjacent to St Bernard’s FC’s Gymnasium ground (now King George V park). You can walk through the tunnel under Rodney Street and emerge at Tesco which occupies the site of rail sidings. 
The line shadows what is now Logie Green Road which sits on the site of the football ground of the same name (another of St Bernard’s grounds) where Hearts won the SFA Cup in 1896 beating Hibs 3-1.

2 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

The Canal Street station was the start/end of the Edinburgh to Granton line. 
It ran to Granton via Trinity station and on its way there the Scotland Street station adjacent to St Bernard’s FC’s Gymnasium ground (now King George V park). You can walk through the tunnel under Rodney Street and emerge at Tesco which occupies the site of rail sidings. 
The line shadows what is now Logie Green Road which sits on the site of the football ground of the same name (another of St Bernard’s grounds) where Hearts won the SFA Cup in 1896 beating Hibs 3-1.

So where was Canal Street ?

From my recollections , the trains ran from Granton to Scotland Street where they were winched up  to Waverley due to the incline. The last train ran around 1964 (but that was only Granton -> Scotland St) and the tunnel leading up to Waverley had long since been bricked up by then.  

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20220128_105318.jpg

Can't seem to place this; first I thought Bruntsfield then Marchmont Road but nahh, stumped!?

46 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

So where was Canal Street ?

From my recollections , the trains ran from Granton to Scotland Street where they were winched up  to Waverley due to the incline. The last train ran around 1964 (but that was only Granton -> Scotland St) and the tunnel leading up to Waverley had long since been bricked up by then.  

See “Been here before” on previous page.

It was my understanding too that the present Waverley Market (or part of it) covers the old station site.

I’ve read about the “winch” part of the journey too. Must try and find out more about this!

Maroon Sailor
29 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Can't seem to place this; first I thought Bruntsfield then Marchmont Road but nahh, stumped!?

That makes 2 of us

Thinking St Andrew's Square but the bus is putting me off

Can't make out the destination of the bus. ________ Road. It's got Northfield on the route part so could be Bingham Road but that would be the 4 not 24

9 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That makes 2 of us

Can't make out the destination of the bus. ________ Road. It's got Northfield on the route part so could be Bingham Road but that would be the 4 not 24

St Andrews Sq looking northbound

12 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

See “Been here before” on previous page.

It was my understanding too that the present Waverley Market (or part of it) covers the old station site.

I’ve read about the “winch” part of the journey too. Must try and find out more about this!

:thumb:

18 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That makes 2 of us

Yes, you're right, the two towers are the Portrait Gallery. :thumbsup:

e: I see @Jambo314 had previously confirmed.

Edited by ArcticJambo

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

The inspiration for the Specsavers ad.

Aye, could be! 😊 Wonderful vista and the subject of many photographs.

The Crags with the Old Town spread out below. Captures the essence of Auld Reekie  like no other aspect in my view.