• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That makes 2 of us

Thinking St Andrew's Square but the bus is putting me off

Can't make out the destination of the bus. ________ Road. It's got Northfield on the route part so could be Bingham Road but that would be the 4 not 24

I'm demented,  screwing my eyes up something terribly and maybe that Northfield could be Bruntsfield and I wonder if the destination might be Marchmont Road? 

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, Meathook said:

I'm demented,  screwing my eyes up something terribly and maybe that Northfield could be Bruntsfield and I wonder if the destination might be Marchmont Road? 

Marchmont Road was an old terminus for the 24

Bruntsfield and Marchmont Road would make sense, now we have a confirmed location and the direction we are looking towards

11 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Marchmont Road was an old terminus for the 24

Bruntsfield and Marchmont Road would make sense, now we have a confirmed location and the direction we are looking towards

👍

3 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

So where was Canal Street ?

From my recollections , the trains ran from Granton to Scotland Street where they were winched up  to Waverley due to the incline. The last train ran around 1964 (but that was only Granton -> Scotland St) and the tunnel leading up to Waverley had long since been bricked up by then.  

Bricked up entrance but still there. When we were teenagers we, erm, persuaded, the padlock on the small door to open and let us in. Torches at the ready headed into the tunnel to explore. Lots of little huts built in there that were apparently to be a bombshelter and were built at the height of the cold war. I believe at some point a company rented part of it to grow mushrooms. We kept going to the end and to our surprise found ourselves on the opposite side of a plattform at Waverley which wold be the gate in the photo a few posts back. We got into the other tunnel heading north as welll but it had been blocked with a huge pile of rubble so we only got a short distance in. 

On 16/08/2021 at 18:21, Footballfirst said:

That's the saddest pair of photographs on this thread.

When you see what was done with the old GPO building, these facades at least could have been kept. 🤨

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Bricked up entrance but still there. When we were teenagers we, erm, persuaded, the padlock on the small door to open and let us in. Torches at the ready headed into the tunnel to explore. Lots of little huts built in there that were apparently to be a bombshelter and were built at the height of the cold war. I believe at some point a company rented part of it to grow mushrooms. We kept going to the end and to our surprise found ourselves on the opposite side of a plattform at Waverley which wold be the gate in the photo a few posts back. We got into the other tunnel heading north as welll but it had been blocked with a huge pile of rubble so we only got a short distance in. 

We used to "gain entry" to the old warehouse at the far end of the goods yard and play in the sacks of stuff stored there. How nobody got killed , I don't know. 

Am old enough to remember the "north" tunnel being unblocked. 

:sad3:

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, EIEIO said:

Picardy Place?

Aye - just before they made a mess of it for the 48th time

On 25/11/2021 at 22:38, Maroon Sailor said:

20211125_223728.jpg.5ec7babca92bc786a7887b3f419b4e5d.jpg

The circular tower on the right was built as a watchtower for the graveyard to guard against grave robbers.

12 minutes ago, Daktari said:

The circular tower on the right was built as a watchtower for the graveyard to guard against grave robbers.

Our back windows looked right on to one in the cemetery at East Preston Street There was also a pillar with a statue of a lady at the wall, at night some times if the moon was correct it cast a shadow on the bedroom wall that caused me many childhood panics.

On 30/12/2021 at 16:03, JWL said:

An elephant interrupts a table of readers in a library building

Leith Central Library. Wonder what book the elephant borrowed?

One of those guys is saying 'there's an elephant in the room we need to talk about....' 😏

1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

Our back windows looked right on to one in the cemetery at East Preston Street There was also a pillar with a statue of a lady at the wall, at night some times if the moon was correct it cast a shadow on the bedroom wall that caused me many childhood panics.

I thought you were going to say you looked out for grave robbers too...😁I used to do the same job as you did - one good thing about dead people, I was never, ever assaulted by one...😉

2 hours ago, Daktari said:

I thought you were going to say you looked out for grave robbers too...😁I used to do the same job as you did - one good thing about dead people, I was never, ever assaulted by one...😉

Working beats, the old Parkside Street beat we had keys to check that cemetery. It wasn't unusual to be shocked by a drunk who crawled under one of the stones at the Greyfriars Church. I was lucky or something never had to charge anyone with assault the Polis. Never was assaulted.

22 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

E38FD7BA-1C98-426D-9B09-2762467066E2.jpeg

That looks like it might have been taken from Broomview House. Were the flats there before the Calder Road was made a carriageway with roundabouts?

On 28/01/2022 at 22:35, Maroon Sailor said:

20220128_223317.thumb.jpg.fb93009ec1bf3efee6aa0248a450efe9.jpg

Would the time of this picture mean that just to the left in the photo that stupid neon sculpture thing would sitting ( and not working) ??? 

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Would the time of this picture mean that just to the left in the photo that stupid neon sculpture thing would sitting ( and not working) ??? 

It was gone by then

20220130_173138.thumb.jpg.47012c0527274055b7e0e837f7450a49.jpg

33 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It was gone by then

20220130_173138.thumb.jpg.47012c0527274055b7e0e837f7450a49.jpg

I’ve got it in my mind it’s further up than that 🙈😂

Maroon Sailor

They must have moved the Kinetic Sculpture (probably more than once the amount of changes that place has had)

20220130_181056.thumb.jpg.a465c52d80367217ab5e5a80b2f42e44.jpg

18 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Working beats, the old Parkside Street beat we had keys to check that cemetery. It wasn't unusual to be shocked by a drunk who crawled under one of the stones at the Greyfriars Church. I was lucky or something never had to charge anyone with assault the Polis. Never was assaulted.

i always seemed to be standing next to the person who got punched, so maybe I was lucky too. Different times too - by the time I started, any sense of respect for the police was rapidly disappearing... Kids didn't run away from the polis like we used to!

On 16/01/2022 at 15:18, Radio Ga Ga said:

EE571A02-6579-4E73-84A6-9F73BDDF56A8.jpeg

I've seen a few photos on here of the old Calton Jail, now of course the site of St Andrews House on Regent Road.  I've worked in St Andrews House and it's an interesting building in itself. At one of the entrances there are a series of boards showing the history of the place. The old photos show vast 'typing pools' filling whole floors. The noise must have been horrendous. The supervisors are always middle aged men who are often dressed in what I think they would call 'morning dress' tail coats, pin striped trousers etc. Difference from when I started, there was a guy cutting about in camouflage shorts and timberland boots with a t shirt. I will try to either photograph them or see if there's an electronic copy. (The boards, not the shorts...)

Really interesting thing though is it's built on the foundations of the jail in places. The house security team do tours for staff occasionally and the outline of the condemned cell is still there, and the stairwell where hangings took place. And, some of the residents are still there - literally and allegedly. Literally, because executed prisoners were buried in unmarked graves in the grounds. They weren't exhumed so they're still under the car park somewhere.  There's also many stories about hauntings not surprisingly. Bear in mind this is a place that although bustling during normal times, empties at night. Everyone swipes in and out so security know if someone is still there working late. One tale is that a security guard was doing night rounds and passing through the top floor when out of the darkness a female voice called out 'Can you help me?'. Needless to say, he didn't and made a beeline for the front foyer...

I'm sure I also read somewhere that there was a Nazi plan to use it as an administrative HQ 'when' they invaded britain.

been here before
30 minutes ago, Daktari said:

I'm sure I also read somewhere that there was a Nazi plan to use it as an administrative HQ 'when' they invaded britain.

Aye that was the plan. I once saw a picture of what it would have looked like with this long thin swastika flags draped down the outside. Very sinister and Ive never been able to find it again.

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Aye that was the plan. I once saw a picture of what it would have looked like with this long thin swastika flags draped down the outside. Very sinister and Ive never been able to find it again.

The very picture - you know now  I think about  it, it might have been a newspaper feature about declassified documents or something similar.... 

3 hours ago, Daktari said:

I'd not heard that before, but here's St Andrew's House on a German military map from 1941.  On the legend 107 is 'neues regierungsgebäude', which means new government building.

You can see the whole map here.

astandrews.jpg

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, The White Cockade said:

Who knows where this is?

Pic I took from my flat in late 70's

oldhoose.jpg

Looks very Oxgangsy to me

Byyy The Light
On 28/01/2022 at 21:06, Tazio said:

Orwell Place August 1966

309B9166-CF5A-42A2-9280-7359D6AC158A.jpeg

Can’t see my dad in it but pretty sure he’ll know people in it. He grew up in Caley Road  .

8 hours ago, Meathook said:

I'd not heard that before, but here's St Andrew's House on a German military map from 1941.  On the legend 107 is 'neues regierungsgebäude', which means new government building.

You can see the whole map here.

astandrews.jpg

Thanks for that, pretty chilling really but I suppose our side probably did the same for Berlin. 

14 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

They must have moved the Kinetic Sculpture (probably more than once the amount of changes that place has had)

20220130_181056.thumb.jpg.a465c52d80367217ab5e5a80b2f42e44.jpg

I’m guessing they kept moving it in the hope that it would actually work 😀

Maroon Sailor

20220130_213621.jpg.d70dfda12aa02738929b9e4bd7146674.jpg.8721cb0d675b5c06b91c2d43a0283753.jpg

12 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

They should have used Homepride

Dalrymple Bakeries must have been good for rolls

10 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

Who knows where this is?

Pic I took from my flat in late 70's

oldhoose.jpg

Gracemount?