• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

il Duce McTarkin
13 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Not keen on the new school, although according to someone who knows a bit, it’s fantastic.

I picked this passenger up one night snd as we drove past the new Boroughmuir school, I mentioned that I wasn’t a fan. He told me had been around it and it was tremendous. I said it was probably because I went to the old building. He then asked why I didn’t know who he was. Couldn’t see him in the dark... but it was only the legend... Mr Swan

That **** attempted to teach me mathematics too.

I wasn't for learning.

Our relationship was often strained.

Edited by Dirk McClaymore

1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

I think that is the Oxford Bar in Hill St.

Not the Oxford in Young Street. Might be another old Hill or Thistle Street bar though. The frontage of the Oxy is wider, the green hanging sign is missing, also the cellar has metal bars on the window. There is a photo on the internet showing the front of the pub  that I can’t seem to attach. This shows it was much the same as before I was born 

Radio Ga Ga

Rose Street, now Element.

It is very similar to the Oxford Bar, but if you look on Google Earth you can see the stair to the RHS is now incorporated into the bar

Radio Ga Ga
5 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

It is the Element Bar in Rose St

Apologies Stuart, just saw you posted this as I was writing up my last post, it is indeed Element

Carl Fredrickson
11 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

BDD398F7-D5D1-4771-8D18-237EE47B4AF0.jpeg

Used to work with a good friend of "Ricky Tickets" and got many a gig ticket reserved to save me waiting in a queue. Havent used TS for many years. Internet has changed many things for me. 

Stuart Lyon
1 minute ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Apologies Stuart, just saw you posted this as I was writing up my last post, it is indeed Element

Funny Wonfiveone and I posted within a minute of each other and you were only a minute or so later. I completely missed reading the bar name i.e. the 110 Bar - should have been a big clue.

ArcticJambo

I'm 99% certain it's on the corner of Rose Street and Rose Street S Lane, looking East.  Currently listed as the Element. I had the picture titled as 'Rose St 1957' and was acquired in the same batch as Radio posted earlier.  I'm sure you'll have a list of previous PH names for that property, Stuart. :thumbsup:

e: :lol: note to self, read on!

Edited by ArcticJambo

The Real Maroonblood
16 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Funny Wonfiveone and I posted within a minute of each other and you were only a minute or so later. I completely missed reading the bar name i.e. the 110 Bar - should have been a big clue.

Was that The Goblet at one time?

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

That **** attempted to teach me mathematics too.

I wasn't for learning.

Our relationship was often strained.

Had a wooden duster and chalk thrown across the maths class on numerous occasions. We were talking about the day they banned the belt and the big raffle in the junior school playground where the winner got to give Mr Swan the belt, seeing as he gave the belt more than any other teacher. I told him I reckoned it was a fix, as a guy named Bruce Wilson won it. There was a massive groan went out across the crowd when his named was called, because everyone was hoping it was going to be one of the psychos that won, so they could hurt him.

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Used to work with a good friend of "Ricky Tickets" and got many a gig ticket reserved to save me waiting in a queue. Havent used TS for many years. Internet has changed many things for me. 

There is a name I’ve not heard for a long time. Done me a couple of good favours way way back. The friends initials weren’t SB were they?

Carl Fredrickson
3 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

There is a name I’ve not heard for a long time. Done me a couple of good favours way way back. The friends initials weren’t SB were they?

JB, SB might have been JBs Mrs.....

luckyBatistuta
24 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

JB, SB might have been JBs Mrs.....

Must be a different person, no idea who JB is

Carl Fredrickson
Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

Must be a different person, no idea who JB is

JB had a brother - possibly SB is his brother? 

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

JB had a brother - possibly SB is his brother? 

460CB2F5-F8DA-4E30-9BA5-7932BE0928CC.jpeg

Montgomery Brewster
On 01/04/2022 at 16:01, luckyBatistuta said:

Leaving night from Sciennes Primary school in there, loved the place, especially coming back from the Commie

Ditto 

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Jambo314 said:

Apex?

Been a long day, heads mince and I’m lost🤷🏼‍♂️🤪

Say What Again
On 01/04/2022 at 16:51, luckyBatistuta said:

Think in my day, they would have went to Boroughmuir, knew quite a few guys from Southside and Dumbiedykes who went to Boroghmuir. Probably Gillespies these days.

I'd guess that's pretty accurate.

Boroughmuir was my catchment school (but I went to Leith) for that area in the mid/late 80s. My sister stays in Viewcraig now and my nephews off to Gillespie's in the summer.

wentworth jambo
On 01/04/2022 at 14:57, Radio Ga Ga said:

McVitie & Price, Robertson Avenue 1935

056EA6AC-8694-4BDA-9CBC-92BB0B0C4109.jpeg

Anyone else look at this one and imagine the smell ?? 😍

35 minutes ago, wentworth jambo said:

1930's newspapers = today's mobiles

Two men in plus fours does anyone wear them today.

44 minutes ago, wentworth jambo said:

Anyone else look at this one and imagine the smell ?? 😍

Reminds me when I lived down wind from Burtons. Lovely. The only smells I get now is when the farmer's spreading shite on his fields. 🤮

7 hours ago, Meathook said:

Reminds me when I lived down wind from Burtons. Lovely. The only smells I get now is when the farmer's spreading shite on his fields. 🤮

Was that at the Calders I remember the smells from Burtons Buscuits and also from the Golden Wonder factory that made the crisis and roast peanuts

2 hours ago, otterjohn said:

Was that at the Calders I remember the smells from Burtons Buscuits and also from the Golden Wonder factory that made the crisis and roast peanuts

No, luckily sometimes the smell made it down to Saughton Mains. 

Footballfirst
10 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

Is that not up the terminus  Dreghorn/Redford way?

Yes. It looks like Westgarth Avenue outside the tennis courts.

Radio Ga Ga
Just now, Footballfirst said:

Yes. It looks like Westgarth Avenue outside the tennis courts.

Exactly where it is. 

On 08/04/2022 at 08:54, Radio Ga Ga said:

Queen Street 1966

8B2490A1-C8A7-4630-BCD8-0B315FB27782.jpeg

Tunics, hats on, clean shaven regulation haircuts and polished boots. Not a man bun or hipster beard in sight. Sorted.

4 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

Tunics, hats on, clean shaven regulation haircuts and polished boots. Not a man bun or hipster beard in sight. Sorted.

Thems were the days, it wasn,t guards like, but if you were shoddy you would soon be told. The thing you found was that if you and your uniform were smart and tidy, and you had neat haircut you gained more respect and people of all classes showed it.