Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

19 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I would guess some time between the two wars. I don't know when the houses in Greenbank Crescent were built, but the farmland in what is now Braidburn Park was used as allotments and there was an open air there shortly after WW2. 

I think you're bang on - the photo of Braidburn looks to be taken around 1935 .

Houses on Greenbank Cres  (on right) were started 1908 - the park was given over to the city in 1933 - the cherry tree avenues (not visible) planted in 1935 .  There's no open air theatre visible. Built in 1937.  Braid burn dammed up in 1945, to let the Queen mother sail up in the Royal barge, to watch a performance of Midsummer Nights Dream.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

0A136C9B-CE4D-4C61-A500-3E6DDAB52085.jpeg

4 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Duddingston Road West, Station Road the tenements on the left, the white painted shop could be Tam Mackenzie Hearts full back, not known as a shopkeeper by most as a smiling person, but can well imagine the many comments he would get about his Hearts career and how tiring it could be for him. Can smell the breweries now, 1130am here now just about pundy time. Another treasure trove of memories for me. This whole Edinburgh History page is like a This Is Your Life program that used to be on TV.

Well, as I’m always saying…every day is a school day. When I first read that, I was thinking that you must be getting things a bit confused Bob, it’s Peffer Street, not Station Road. After having a wee look on Google Earth, there it is…Back Station Road. I’ve been a black cab driver in Edinburgh for 18 years and I bow to your superior knowledge pal😊

Edited by luckyBatistuta

1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

I was the same. Thought it was Peffer Place though. 

1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

I was the same. Thought it was Peffer Place though. 

The old memory is not perfect but for some reason I on thinking about it thought the wee road if I recall led into the Harewoods was something like Peffer Bank or Mill  Road or street.When working from Niddrie sometimes it was split between two men, one done the one half of the area and when doing Craigmillar, returned to the box at Wauchope Avenue using the Peffer route. For some reason I thought it was something like Peffer Bank or Peffer Mill Street. Its been well past 50 years since I was there , but if I last another fifty the whole Niddrie ,Craigmillar, areas will have a place in that memory box. 

Edited by Sharpie

1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

The old memory is not perfect but for some reason I on thinking about it thought the wee road if I recall led into the Harewoods was something like Peffer Bank or Mill  Road or street.When working from Niddrie sometimes it was split between two men, one done the one half of the area and when doing Craigmillar, returned to the box at Wauchope Avenue using the Peffer route. For some reason I thought it was something like Peffer Bank or Peffer Mill Street. Its been well past 50 years since I was there , but if I last another fifty the whole Niddrie ,Craigmillar, areas will have a place in that memory box. 

Bob, Station Road was renamed Peffer Street at some time.  The road that goes from there to the  Harewoods, which is now Peffer Place, used to be called Mitchell Street.

5 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Bob, Station Road was renamed Peffer Street at some time.  The road that goes from there to the  Harewoods, which is now Peffer Place, used to be called Mitchell Street.

Thanks for that, the trouble with the word age is it is also contained in another word change, the older you get the harder it is to remember and accept that change happens.

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210823_222519.jpg

Gilmerton Road

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210823_222549.jpg

Not sure if that’s part of the old station being torn down. Seems like the exact spot of the Belhaven.

Fxxx the SPFL
14 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210823_151859.jpg

am i being thick but why is that car going up on the right hand side

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, **** the SPFL said:

Can only assume it was a one way system at the time

Maroon Sailor

Looks really narrow from that angle

20210824_123052.jpg

Edited by Maroon Sailor

16 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Probably because it is being driven by a non native who is driving on the wrong side of the road, I have done similar myself when driving a rental and I lost a daughter because she made that exact error of turning into the wrong lane in Ireland and having a head on accident.  I have no proof of my opening line, just seems reasonable in a tourist city.

The Real Maroonblood
17 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Can only assume it was a one way system at the time

Correct answer.

South St Andrews Street was the opposite way down.

Fxxx the SPFL
40 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Correct answer.

cheers 

wentworth jambo
2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Correct answer.

All 4 exits from St Andrew Square were one way when I was younger...up N.St Andrew ST and S.St David Street and down the other 2

Edited by wentworth jambo

42 minutes ago, wentworth jambo said:

All 4 exits from St Andrew Square were one way when I was younger...up N.St Andrew ST and S.St David Street and down the other 2

That all feels recent to me. 😄

Lone Striker
3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Looks really narrow from that angle

20210824_123052.jpg

Aye it does look awfy narrow.   If its the main bridge (Gillespie ROad to Colinton village), its currently got a pavement on each side plus 2 lanes.     Is the current bridge a rebuild of this one  perhaps ? 

Lone Striker
4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210824_123026.jpg

Clermiston Road. Can't believe that I actually used to cycle up that  ...... long, long ago.   It was scarier going down though - sore fingers trying to get your  brake handles to  full squeeze.   😲

Shanks said no
26 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Aye it does look awfy narrow.   If its the main bridge (Gillespie ROad to Colinton village), its currently got a pavement on each side plus 2 lanes.     Is the current bridge a rebuild of this one  perhaps ? 

Having issues pasting off my phone but looks as though they widened the top section and kept the bottom section 

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3159426

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

15 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Does anyone have any old photographs of Old Burdiehouse Road for a relative🤞

Here is a picture of the Old Bordeaux on Old Burdiehouse Road. Demolished in the early 2000's.

(1611)oldboldb1990.jpg

Edited by ginga

luckyBatistuta
19 minutes ago, ginga said:

Here is a picture of the Old Bordeaux on Old Burdiehouse Road. Demolished in the early 2000's.

(1611)oldboldb1990.jpg

Cheers pal👍 I’m now trying to remember the name of that years before(think it had a birds name in it🤷‍♂️)

I’m actually, if possible, trying to find any older pictures of the cottages that run along the back of where that was.

6 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Cheers pal👍 I’m now trying to remember the name of that years before(think it had a birds name in it🤷‍♂️)

I’m actually, if possible, trying to find any older pictures of the cottages that run along the back of where that was.

It was also called The Bird in the Hand and The Burdiehouse Inn.