• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

That circle's full of houses now.

Sadly yes. Anyone else remember the Piltin men meeting every Sunday in the Circus park, all ages, everyone welcome, jerseys for goal posts, twenty or more a side sometimes. Those were the days.

Footballfirst
3 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

May yer lum reek. 

I think this one has definitely been posted before, however, i think it highlights perfectly how Edinburgh became known as Auld Reekie, imagine this duplicated all over our city and it must have been Smog Central

2D617EFE-FCB6-4E25-9F2C-076A7E409076.jpeg

Another "Auld Reekie" image.

286106447_AuldReekie.jpg.a7ab90e99e82a0a229de31006ed4d54c.jpg

That was the Edinburgh of my childhood, men at the bools, the fires burning, chimneys smoking and knowing its there can even make out the Dumbiedykes police box at the foot of Arthur Street at the gate to the park near the Parkies house.  So many times sat in that box, called Braid Place to make my hourly call, fourteen at fourteen.That was the beat PC reporting his beat and box #s.  Fourteen was a night beat, Simon Square the full day shift beat box nine at thirteen.

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Look at all the red death on show 😁

It was the cans of Piper I was laughing at !

luckyBatistuta
49 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Another "Auld Reekie" image.

286106447_AuldReekie.jpg.a7ab90e99e82a0a229de31006ed4d54c.jpg

39 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

That was the Edinburgh of my childhood, men at the bools, the fires burning, chimneys smoking and knowing its there can even make out the Dumbiedykes police box at the foot of Arthur Street at the gate to the park near the Parkies house.  So many times sat in that box, called Braid Place to make my hourly call, fourteen at fourteen.That was the beat PC reporting his beat and box #s.  Fourteen was a night beat, Simon Square the full day shift beat box nine at thirteen.

Dunno how any of you survived that, between the chimneys and the coffin nails. If you weren’t coughing, you must have been the odd one out.

55 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Dunno how any of you survived that, between the chimneys and the coffin nails. If you weren’t coughing, you must have been the odd one out.

When it has been there since birth you never even noticed it, may have had something o do with the fact I was a non smoker, and only started for a while when I first came to Canada. I guess my lungs must have been craving for some smoke. There was lots of coughing, and men spitting to the extent there were signs on the lampposts saying no spitting on the pavement, but I guess it was ok to hawk a biggie in the gutter, which was where the dogs had to crap.

2 hours ago, Janbo1874 said:

Fantastic pics and much appreciated 👍

This one has me stumped

I know it but i can't place it.

Hamilton Place 1902

luckyBatistuta
8 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

2B71BA60-2FAC-408A-A712-62C5C21B7BCD.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

5596D211-7ADB-4A66-B270-82D158BB2EB2.jpeg

You are on fire with these bud, tremendous job. Think that’s the oldest one I’ve seen outside Register House. The bottom one is annoying me, feel like I should know it

luckyBatistuta
17 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

When it has been there since birth you never even noticed it, may have had something o do with the fact I was a non smoker, and only started for a while when I first came to Canada. I guess my lungs must have been craving for some smoke. There was lots of coughing, and men spitting to the extent there were signs on the lampposts saying no spitting on the pavement, but I guess it was ok to hawk a biggie in the gutter, which was where the dogs had to crap.

Must have been rivers of spit running down the gutters 

40 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

You are on fire with these bud, tremendous job. Think that’s the oldest one I’ve seen outside Register House. The bottom one is annoying me, feel like I should know it

Lauriston Street looking towards West Port/Bread Street👍

Footballfirst
21 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

rough idea of year?

I would guess some time between the two wars. I don't know when the houses in Greenbank Crescent were built, but the farmland in what is now Braidburn Park was used as allotments and there was an open air there shortly after WW2. 

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Lauriston Street looking towards West Port/Bread Street👍

Would never have got that👍

3 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Must have been rivers of spit running down the gutters 

You had to be there, but there was no runny spit, these deposits were deposited from the lungs.

10 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

2B71BA60-2FAC-408A-A712-62C5C21B7BCD.jpeg

The length of the exposure has left the ghost of a horse and cart. And possibly the shadow of the driver

PSX_20210822_090105.jpg

11 hours ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Look at all the red death on show 😁

Lucky this colouring app has a red bias 

1629618886221.png

Edited by Mister T

Byyy The Light
9 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I would guess some time between the two wars. I don't know when the houses in Greenbank Crescent were built, but the farmland in what is now Braidburn Park was used as allotments and there was an open air there shortly after WW2. 

Cheers Ff 

41 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

0A136C9B-CE4D-4C61-A500-3E6DDAB52085.jpeg

Duddingston Road West, Station Road the tenements on the left, the white painted shop could be Tam Mackenzie Hearts full back, not known as a shopkeeper by most as a smiling person, but can well imagine the many comments he would get about his Hearts career and how tiring it could be for him. Can smell the breweries now, 1130am here now just about pundy time. Another treasure trove of memories for me. This whole Edinburgh History page is like a This Is Your Life program that used to be on TV.