Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

On 25/05/2021 at 18:52, Maroon Sailor said:

20210525_185201.jpg

Old Dalkeith road. 

South East Royal Mail delivery office there now behind the cottages.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maroon Sailor
7 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That photo is fantastic .

Collar and tie and their suits.

👍

My Grandad dressed like that even if he went to the corner shop and the bookies.

Must have been the thing to do when you went anywhere in those days or there was limited fashion for men.

28 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

My Grandad dressed like that even if he went to the corner shop and the bookies.

Must have been the thing to do when you went anywhere in those days or there was limited fashion for men.

I think I was a teenager before my father wore a sports jacket and flannels. He had a good suit weddings and funerals, and a suit he wore when not wearing work clothes. Never seen him out walking on a Sunday in shirt sleeves regardless the weather, and wore his suit and bunnet to Hearts games.  Not in the political sense but in the working mans world they were very conservative. Fashion was a word that was only used in female conversations. Things had eased by the time I was in my early teens, but Sundays were still a day for the religious, good clothes were expected and demanded, and all shops stores pubs etc were closed. 

An eight hour train trip to London in 1952 and frequent visits there while in training was like being not in a new Country but a new world.  Businesses open on Sunday, pubs open, movies and dance halls, pleasure was seen as an entitlement at the weekend, not a time of Church and restraint as in Edinburgh.

Edited by Sharpie

The Real Maroonblood
31 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

They did.

No comparison nowadays fashion wise.

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

My grand father only passed away 5 years ago. You would never see him without his shirt, tie and suit.

been here before

Ive always thought the shirt and tie combo was a throwback to habits picked up in Army, conscrption or Natonal Service days.

You seldom see anyone in their 60s or 70s now cutting about like that and NS ended in 1960.

Just a theory.

11 minutes ago, been here before said:

Ive always thought the shirt and tie combo was a throwback to habits picked up in Army, conscription or National Service days.

You seldom see anyone in their 60s or 70s now cutting about like that and NS ended in 1960.

Just a theory.

No I don't think there was a military experience involved, it was family upbringing. In my own military experience for example when you were off parade we had denim clothing to wear of duty, comfortable, and easily maintained. I went into the army in 1952 and ties and open tunic necks and shirt with ties were relatively new.

4 hours ago, been here before said:

Parking on each side of The Mound in 1989:

1165431705_b25lY21zOmNjNzA2MmFiLTZjNjAtNGM0OS1iYWNjLWQxMGFlOTFjZDBkYTplYzgyZDM5Ny0wYTg3LTRhZGUtODI2MC0wMDMyYmNiZWRmNTQ.jpg.9395df38e77ca1a4a8c5e5345d79f14b.jpg

1989 when every other car was a UK built Ford or Vauxhall by the looks of things. Changed days. 

Captain Slog

I thought I recalled there was a Goldbergs round about there was i was a toddler (with an indoor zoo).  Does anyone recollect where it actually was?

The White Cockade
On 26/05/2021 at 17:09, Sharpie said:

Played there many times. Watched Speedway there on Saturday nights, went to the pits and helped the riders maintaining their bikes on a Sunday after the previous nights races. Remember Leith Athletic and there was also an Edinburgh City team. With no television, and only radio or the movies, sports were another way to get away from life for a wee while. It was by todays comparisons a pretty bland life, but you sure learned a life time lesson to be happy with what you've got.

My Uncle Alec Laird played for Leith Athletic in the 50’s

1 hour ago, Captain Slog said:

I thought I recalled there was a Goldbergs round about there was i was a toddler (with an indoor zoo).  Does anyone recollect where it actually was?

About where the yellow flats are in the photo above.

e83d7328e23bcd643eda400151241ffc.jpg

Edited by Lemongrab

Captain Slog
4 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

About where the yellow flats are in the photo above.

e83d7328e23bcd643eda400151241ffc.jpg

👍 Thanks, knew i wasn't senile yet

7 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

I remember seeing a parrot in Goldbergs when I was very young. Always assumed it was just in a pet department. 

been here before

This a gent called John Waldie Jnr. The picture was taken in the late 1800s. He would die in France during WWI.

0_edinburgh_transport_horses_comiston_dairy_horse_and_cart_john_waldie_c1900.jpg.6be5da62c640aa7a1d91ff22fe0e1f55.jpg

For me its weird to look at this picture of a young boy taken over 120 years ago and know what his fate would be.

32 minutes ago, been here before said:

This a gent called John Waldie Jnr. The picture was taken in the late 1800s. He would die in France during WWI.

0_edinburgh_transport_horses_comiston_dairy_horse_and_cart_john_waldie_c1900.jpg.6be5da62c640aa7a1d91ff22fe0e1f55.jpg

For me its weird to look at this picture of a young boy taken over 120 years ago and know what his fate would be.

I find it strange also, we know what is going to happen, it only seems reasonable to assume he would know also, but we also know that is not how life works.

10 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:
12 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210528_201558.jpg

South College Street?

37 minutes ago, jb102 said:

Its been a while since it happened but if that is a church its where I was married 12 Mar 1960.

4 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Its been a while since it happened but if that is a church its where I was married 12 Mar 1960.

19 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

👍 South College Street

My Grandad was the minister there around 1960.Also i used to fix Clarkes van albeit 2 generations later.BTW old man Clarke had a turbotechnics Capri that really blew my frock up.The vans meh.

2 hours ago, jb102 said:

My Grandad was the minister there around 1960.Also i used to fix Clarkes van albeit 2 generations later.BTW old man Clarke had a turbotechnics Capri that really blew my frock up.The vans meh.

Well if it was your Grandad he done a good job with the wee lecture he gave during the service, we must have listened well because we lasted a while.

13 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210528_165521.jpg

I loved going there with my friends. Reminds me of when I first started leaving my neighbourhood on my own without my parents. First wee feeling of freedom. Happy Days. 

Seymour M Hersh
4 hours ago, pablo said:

I loved going there with my friends. Reminds me of when I first started leaving my neighbourhood on my own without my parents. First wee feeling of freedom. Happy Days. 

Where is it? 

2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Where is it? 

The swimming pool at Wester Hailes

Seymour M Hersh
40 minutes ago, pablo said:

The swimming pool at Wester Hailes

Thanks. Never been so didn't recognise it. Is it still in action? 

been here before
3 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Thanks. Never been so didn't recognise it. Is it still in action? 

Yep. Not changed all that much either.

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, been here before said:

Yep. Not changed all that much either.

Apart from the water hopefully. :lol:

14 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Apart from the water hopefully. :lol:

I hope so as I remember peeing in it a number of years ago. 

21 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210528_165521.jpg

I lived it when the WHEC opened. I was a out 5, we lived in dumbryden at the time. My mother used to take me all the time. As it was only a 5 10 minutes walk, by the time I was 7, I was allowed to walk there with my friends, parent free.

Weekly trips to the WHEC for a swim was a hallmark of my early years.

First time me and my pals were allowed to go on our own felt like adulthood.

The whole wee gang of us on the bus there and back with no supervision.

:yas:

Best part of the day was getting hot chips from the cafe overlooking the pool after your swim session was over (damn those colour coded wristbands and the eagle-eyed lifeguards evicting you from the pool)

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Best part of the day was getting hot chips from the cafe overlooking the pool after your swim session was over (damn those colour coded wristbands and the eagle-eyed lifeguards evicting you from the pool)

There was a tray in the Commie where you were supposed to chuck your coloured band in on the way out. We kept them. Used to nip into the changing room and swap them when our colour was up :smile:

2 hours ago, Cade said:

Chips at the cafe is a memory of mine too.

The alarm that rang out when it was a coloured band's end of session used to terrify me at first.

25 minutes ago, kila said:

Chips at the cafe is a memory of mine too.

The alarm that rang out when it was a coloured band's end of session used to terrify me at first.

sounded like a feckin nuclear bomb warning

:sob: