Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maroon Sailor

Off the Hearts supporters bus at Haymarket, The Pink then next door to this great establishment 

20210209_184623.jpg.ebd57f79c7d87054d9c1e77d44c6c9f7.jpg

7 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Top of London Rd/Easter Rd ?

The place was modernised about 1970 and is now a kilt hire place. 

Pic is the one on St Mary's Street.

They had a shop at the top of Easter Road too.

Just now, Janbo1874 said:

Pic is the one on St Mary's Street.

They had a shop at the top of Easter Road too.

🙄

I'm beginning to wonder if I even know Edinburgh. 

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Is this your Tron Box Bob?

high street 1.jpg

I also came across this, something called a Sky Lantern, that I knew nothing of

The one I was used to was at the south west corner of High Street South Bridge further down the street than that one, there was no box at that location.

46 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Top of London Rd/Easter Rd ?

The place was modernised about 1970 and is now a kilt hire place. 

Don't thinks so Nano, I think it's the shop on St Mary''s St. I posted earlier in this thread about the Abbeyhill shop on corner of East Norton & West Norton place. The Abbeyhill shop's front door was right on the corner, the St Mary st one was a flat frontage.

6 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Policeman inspecting his glove !

20210209_193217.jpg

No doubt a conversation about what is running at Pontefract. Possibly even accepting the bets, thats why the polis is looking at something so busily as he doesn't want to see whats happening.

5 hours ago, jb102 said:

I remember a test in Oxgangs.1975 maybe.

Probably similar year for me. The siren on the police box at the entrance to Liberton Park. There's some cracking you tube clips of people cranking up restored ones

52 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210209_184537.jpg

Junction of Morningside Road &  Belhaven terrace. Bairds the Bootmakers must have been demolished and replaced by a modern building housing the Morningside Branch of Bank of Scotland, where I worked in the early 1980''s. 

1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

No doubt a conversation about what is running at Pontefract. Possibly even accepting the bets, thats why the polis is looking at something so busily as he doesn't want to see whats happening.

I used to love going there after a Saturday night binge and getting the Sunday papers.

On 07/02/2021 at 13:21, Maroon Sailor said:

46735565505_77eca322e9.jpg

A google image search says it was taken in 1989 - would that be correct?  I spent a lot of time in the Fiddlers Arms when it was at Cowgatehead, many a Friday night busting Kevin's baws like we all did :lol: .  Ravages of time and beer obviously but I'd say my time at the Fiddlers was anytime between 1988-96.  Anybody know when it moved and then back again?  Also, is the Cowgatehead premises still Bar Salsa - think I watched England lose their opening WC14 match to Italy in there.  :D

38 minutes ago, Hook said:

Is that what became Smiths menswear?

The Smith''s Menswear I knew was on the Royal Mile on the site of the old Hyams menswear shop. Smiths also had a shop in Glasgow, Renfield St as I recall. 

In my professional capacity with BofS I dealt with the owner Alan Smith who used to have his company name stencilled on the seats of the old main stand back in the mid- late eighties. His younger brother Brian, whom I was at Broughton Senior Secondary with, now sadly deceased, used to be involved with Smiths menswear until he branched out on his own selling jeans at Premises in Cockburn Street.

Edited by argyjambo
Adding material

20 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

A google image search says it was taken in 1989 - would that be correct?  I spent a lot of time in the Fiddlers Arms when it was at Cowgatehead, many a Friday night busting Kevin's baws like we all did :lol: .  Ravages of time and beer obviously but I'd say my time at the Fiddlers was anytime between 1988-96.  Anybody know when it moved and then back again?  Also, is the Cowgatehead premises still Bar Salsa - think I watched England lose their opening WC14 match to Italy in there.  :D

Fiddler's Arms had a great jukebox.

I think it was bought by a consortium from Glasgow which included Walter of the waistcoat fame.

It morphed into Bar Alba and lost the windows and dare I say it it's soul.

A Jambo and his taxi driver father took over the lease and also Valentine's on the High Street renamed McGregor's .

They passed over the lease to a girl who owned a bridal dress shop further up the street and well I gave up.

Last time I was in I walked out.

14 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

The Smith''s Menswear I knew was on the Royal Mile on the site of the old Hyams menswear shop. Smiths also had a shop in Glasgow, Renfield St as I recall. 

In my professional capacity with BofS I dealt with the owner Alan Smith who used to have his company name stencilled on the seats of the old main stand back in the mid- late eighties. His younger brother Brian, whom I was at Broughton Senior Secondary with, now sadly deceased, used to be involved with Smiths menswear until he branched out on his own selling jeans at Premises in Cockburn Street.

Smiths was on he corner of the High Street and Hunter Square and heavily promoted in the programmes of the day.

12 minutes ago, Janbo1874 said:

Fiddler's Arms had a great jukebox.

I think it was bought by a consortium from Glasgow which included Walter of the waistcoat fame.

It morphed into Bar Alba and lost the windows and dare I say it it's soul.

A Jambo and his taxi driver father took over the lease and also Valentine's on the High Street renamed McGregor's .

They passed over the lease to a girl who owned a bridal dress shop further up the street and well I gave up.

Last time I was in I walked out.

Chrissakes, that too complicated! :lol:  The Fiddlers Arms was a time of simple pleasures. 

1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

The Fiddlers Arms was never at Cowgatehead - was at the bottom end of the Grassmarket, changed to the Bar Alba in the early 2000's and changed back to the Fiddlers Arms in 2012, what is now Bar Salsa at Cowgatehead was the Candlemakers Arms and Before that was Aqua Bar, Chequers and The Black Heart.

Loved going to the Candlemakers Arms after Hearts v Hibs games to take the piss out of Kevin Tait, him being a big Hibby - miss him on the Folk circuit - he is now plying his trade down near London from what I hear.

1 minute ago, ginga said:

The Fiddlers Arms was never at Cowgatehead - was at the bottom end of the Grassmarket, changed to the Bar Alba in the early 2000's and changed back to the Fiddlers Arms in 2012, what is now Bar Salsa at Cowgatehead was the Candlemakers Arms and Before that was Aqua Bar, Chequers and The Black Heart.

Loved going to the Candlemakers Arms after Hearts v Hibs games to take the piss out of Kevin Tait, him being a big Hibby - miss him on the Folk circuit - he is now plying his trade down near London from what I hear.

:jj_facepalm:

Candlemakers Arms!  tbf I don't think I was ever sober in there; not surprised I've been thinking it was the Fiddlers Arms.  Thanks for clearing that up for me. :lol:

13 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

:jj_facepalm:

Candlemakers Arms!  tbf I don't think I was ever sober in there; not surprised I've been thinking it was the Fiddlers Arms.  Thanks for clearing that up for me. :lol:

A mates dad had the Candlemakers for all of the 70’s and early 80’s and it was rough to say the least. Very popular with Irish road workers and builders. He used to have his Doberman in the pub with him all the time and an old police truncheon stashed under the bar. Which he used on occasion, including one time where he twatted a massive navvy over the head with it and to his horror the guy shrugged it off and turned round to stare at him. Then apologised for his behaviour. 

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

A mates dad had the Candlemakers for all of the 70’s and early 80’s and it was rough to say the least. Very popular with Irish road workers and builders. He used to have his Doberman in the pub with him all the time and an old police truncheon stashed under the bar. Which he used on occasion, including one time where he twatted a massive navvy over the head with it and to his horror the guy shrugged it off and turned round to stare at him. Then apologised for his behaviour. 

:lol: I could imagine. Tbh for all the time I was in there  I don't recall too much in the way of bother. Guess we were all jovially beating up on Kevin! Plenty of falling off stools, etc.  Then along to Sneeky Petes. :olly:

8 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

:lol: I could imagine. Tbh for all the time I was in there  I don't recall too much in the way of bother. Guess we were all jovially beating up on Kevin! Plenty of falling off stools, etc.  Then along to Sneeky Petes. :olly:

To be fair there would never have been anything as poncy as music when Roy ran it. It was a drinking shop, and nothing else. 

12 hours ago, Mister T said:

Probably similar year for me. The siren on the police box at the entrance to Liberton Park. There's some cracking you tube clips of people cranking up restored ones

I ****ing shit myself.The Cold War was on everyones mind then and there was only 2 television channels.Imagine Nato and the Warsaw Pact in a stand off on the North German Plain these days.

I miss the good old days.

7 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Artic Jambo tell me this wasn't you thinking it was a drive through!

Candlemaker Arms.jpg

30 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Artic Jambo tell me this wasn't you thinking it was a drive through!

Candlemaker Arms.jpg

Haha, no, my first car was a late 70s Hillman Avenger cast-off from my aunt.  I assume this budding Jackie Stewart has come down the West Bow and taken the Cowgatehead turn at speeds well above his car's class, with inevitable consequences. 

Thanks for posting the photo. btw.

5 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

0CC844DB-CC62-4AB0-8F16-EE4B7A80C873.jpeg

That's Porty Power Station - used to heat the pool next door - and a No.12 bus full of bammers ,enroute to Niddrie.

1976 a bit late for Bob to be on that bus ?

Building stands opposite (almost) Ramsay Tech - which was factory just before the war. Run by a popular German family. All their assets stripped when war declared, and ended up bankrupt, iirc.

1 hour ago, felix said:

That's Porty Power Station - used to heat the pool next door - and a No.12 bus full of bammers ,enroute to Niddrie.

1976 a bit late for Bob to be on that bus ?

Building stands opposite (almost) Ramsay Tech - which was factory just before the war. Run by a popular German family. All their assets stripped when war declared, and ended up bankrupt, iirc.

I just spat my coffee on my keyboard. 

18 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Is that Bonnington/Redbraes somewhere ?

I can just about remember that bridge in the early 60s. 

The photo is taken from Pilrig Street looking towards the Bonnington Road junction. 

7 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210204_175341.jpg

I saw a smaller version of this a while back and couldn't make out the 'Plaza' sign.  Without that, I'd never have guessed at it being Morningside.