• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Yes the fire was big excitement.

Recovered well as the fire was in 1956

1594918839_unnamed(12).jpg.c198e21458553d8548144a754b19d300.jpg

Anyone know the name of the street on the left where the bakers is ?

I struggle to picture this area as it was then

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Footballfirst
23 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

See the map at the attached link

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_buildings_g/0_buildings_-_parkers_stores_fiire_in_flat_above.htm

Edited by Footballfirst

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Marshal Street

5 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Marshal Street

Bristo Street was the street to the left of Parkers, the street across the road at the bakers was indeed Marshal Street, so it was Bristo Street @ Marshal Street.

Montgomery Brewster
On 11/02/2021 at 23:35, Sharpie said:

Marshal Street

Yes but I think a lot of people forget marshal street had another block on it. Compared to now. 

1 hour ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Yes but I think a lot of people forget marshal street had another block on it. Compared to now. 

I wasn't aware Marshal Street had lost a block, I really should not comment on most of the areas because they are barely a shadow of what I knew.

On 11/02/2021 at 08:29, jb102 said:

The Vietnam?

Yes

More blood spilled there than Vietnam hence the name. 

I can think of one possible 2 fatalities there in the 80s????

19 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Yes

Kate Adie was a barmaid and the piano had a bandage on its leg.One minute quiet next minute it went off like the space shuttle.

28 minutes ago, jb102 said:

Kate Adie was a barmaid and the piano had a bandage on its leg.One minute quiet next minute it went off like the space shuttle.

And here's me thinking the Gunners was bad back in the day😁

1 hour ago, PTBCAL said:

Yes

Somebody was killed with one of those big old glass ashtrays IIRC.

Either way, there was definitely some fatalities in the place. 

1 hour ago, PTBCAL said:

Yes

For some reason that whole area seems to have had more than its fair share of murders over the years.

2 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

32042A11-E1E6-42DD-B382-E131598B66FC.jpeg

The New Vic with the queue coming from St Patrick Square. Those cars parked were a police bosses delight and a constables hate, when it got dark you were supposed to check for those parked without lights which for the poor beat man led if diligently following orders handwriting multiple summonses,  and later travelling all over town to meet the offenders and deliver the summons. I failed in my duties  and was sentenced to working the Marchmont beat where there were no theatres, and the young people were the sixty year olds. Spent twenty years there one month. 

I realise  now this is some years later but the scenario at the Odeon looks the same I am discussing circa 60"s.

Edited by Sharpie

1 minute ago, Sharpie said:

The New Vic with the queue coming from St Patrick Square. Those cars parked were a police noses delight and a constables hate, when it got dark you were supposed to check for those parked without lights which for the poor beat man led if diligently following orders handwriting multiple summonses,  and later travelling all over town to meet the offenders and deliver the summons. I failed in my duties  and was sentenced to working the Marchmont beat where there were no theatres, and the young pople were the sixty year olds. Spent twenty years there one month.

Changed days, Marchmont is student central nowadays as you can make a lot of money renting those big old flats out to groups of them. 

On 10/02/2021 at 15:11, Maroon Sailor said:

20210206_223459.jpg

That's a great photo. Any idea of the year? Jaks and Junior Jaks were just by the buses. Got my first pair of proper jeans (Wranglers) out of there. 

2 hours ago, Cade said:

Absolutely loved the Odeon on Clerk St.
A stunning example of Art Deco.
picture-7.png.26ec4a8c11c57da790a80783fed67c01.pngauditorium1_h.jpg.0d05d99eb30da78c28adbd09d91908c4.jpg

Some things I didn't realise until recently: The auditorium at the Odeon isn't right behind the entrance on Clerk Street, but behind the buildings to the left of it.  Also, it used to have a back entrance on Buccleuch Street, which I'd imagine was used for deliveries, but the space is now occupied by student accommodation (no surprise there).

St Johns Road, Corstorphine looking east, the oak on the left hand side, horse and cart in there, 

no cars😧not sure about the year, 1910, wild guess, gas lamp on the left.

Old Photograph Corstorphine Scotland.jpg

Fxxx the SPFL
13 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

St Johns Road, Corstorphine looking east, the oak on the left hand side, horse and cart in there, 

not the Oak now some posh Bistro

45 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

I don't have a clue about the date, but whenever it was, phones must have been quite popular, going by the number of connection things on the telegraph poles.

Here's another pic of the same place about the same time.  The building beside the Oak/Torfin has acquired a couple of new windows upstairs.

Old-Photograph-St-Johns-Road-Corstorphin

J.T.F.Robertson
5 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

BAB50026-71E9-48D9-A78E-7FB00901ED3D.jpeg

5 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

BD6DF6A8-BD1F-477E-A4AD-F41EE6CFD227.jpeg

Totalled one of his trucks (not me)  at the bottom of Arthur Street when it careened down and into the park.

There's photographic evidence of the incident. 😨

what was the name of the gay bar that was on Broughton street where the restaurant Treacle currently is ? 
For some reason my daughters pal has asked me to find out , can’t say I’ve a clue as to what it’ was called , hopefully someone can help . 

12 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

what was the name of the gay bar that was on Broughton street where the restaurant Treacle currently is ? 
For some reason my daughters pal has asked me to find out , can’t say I’ve a clue as to what it’ was called , hopefully someone can help . 

I’m not sure where Treacle is but I’d imagine it’s on the site The Blue Moon Cafe was on as that was the gay bar on that street. Used to do a brilliant Sunday breakfast. 

Edited by Tazio

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’m not sure where Treacle is but I’d imagine it’s on the site The Blue Moon Cafe was on as that was the gay bar on that street. Used to do a brilliant Sunday breakfast. 

I’ve just checked where it is and it isn’t the Blue Moon. I only remember the site where Treacle is as the Smoke Stack steak house. Though it turned into a bar later I think but I’m not familiar with the name of it. 

58 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I think it was Baroque before Treacle. I’m trying to remember what it was before that, if it comes to me I will let you know.

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I’ve just checked where it is and it isn’t the Blue Moon. I only remember the site where Treacle is as the Smoke Stack steak house. Though it turned into a bar later I think but I’m not familiar with the name of it. 

26 minutes ago, obua said:

I think it was Baroque before Treacle. I’m trying to remember what it was before that, if it comes to me I will let you know.

Cheers, Treacle was given as the spot it was on but it could be she was out a bit on it , any helps greatfully accepted though 👍🏻

2 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

The Pink Triangle?

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

The Pink Triangle?

That was the slang name for the area from Broughton Street though to London Road. Now more commonly known as the rainbow triangle apparently. 

Just now, Tazio said:

That was the slang name for the area from Broughton Street though to London Road. Now more commonly known as the rainbow triangle apparently. 

Yes, realised my mistake almost immediately.  Not as quick as you did though!  😀

I know the name of the place in question, just can’t, for the life of me, get it right now.

8 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Yes, realised my mistake almost immediately.  Not as quick as you did though!  😀

I know the name of the place in question, just can’t, for the life of me, get it right now.

I’m the same and I used to drink in the place.🥳 obviously too much.

27 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Morgan,

I know there is a butcher’s called crombies on Broughton street, but I keep thinking that was the pub name as well. Or maybe something similar.

3 minutes ago, obua said:

Morgan,

I know there is a butcher’s called crombies on Broughton street, but I keep thinking that was the pub name as well. Or maybe something similar.

I think you’re right. I certainly remember it as Baroque as someone posted above but Crombie’s rings a big bell. I didn’t think of either of them as gay bars but I’ve been out of the drinking on the town game for a number of years.