• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seaside jambo
16 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Aye. that's an odd one but then on the other hand, they do get the best of the figgy burn high tide dead seaweed aroma. :lol:

Was thinking that Westbank is probably the only street in Portobello still with all its original (very shiny) setts (well I assume original as it's a very old street).  Can you think of anywhere else, other than Brighton Pl which now has some flat ones for cyclists, half of which are useless as they always hidden by parked cars?  :lol:

I was brought up in one of the flats in the two tenements you can see at the bottom of the street when it was called rosebank terrace 

The houses belonged to the power station (my dad worked there) they changed the street name because there was another rosebank terrace in Edinburgh also changed tower street to figgete street 

Maroon Sailor
11 minutes ago, JWL said:

My Primary School

What school is it ?

Other side of the city for me

11 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

What school is it ?

Other side of the city for me

Fort Street Primary. There was the old building across the road when you went into year 5 I think

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, JWL said:

Fort Street Primary. There was the old building across the road when you went into year 5 I think

Classroom c1960

0331-010-WEB.jpg.137035be89d639388bcfbb6c069b47fe.jpg

8 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210116_132214.jpg

Great Junction Street? Can't quite make out the name of the bar on the corner but if it's Cousin's Bar then that will be Bowling Green Street where my old man stayed.

11 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Nice one, Stuart. Any date on that, looks to be in the 70s, perhaps?

Bank of Scotland, Leith walk branch, one of the few I didn't work in,

On 15/01/2021 at 13:48, ArcticJambo said:

I didn't know that, or have forgotten due to the ravages of time.  Mate and I, often used to drop in there after a sesh with his grandfather at the Railwayman's Club just down the way, and then onto the Artisan, especially for the derby.  I was in the SL a year or so ago on a crawl back to Porty and I must say it was a bit hipster, and expensive but then Ihad worked my way up from Duke Street.  :lol:

Where was the railwaymen''s club you refer to, the only ones I knew of were on royal terrace or in bath st.

2 hours ago, JWL said:

Great Junction Street? Can't quite make out the name of the bar on the corner but if it's Cousin's Bar then that will be Bowling Green Street where my old man stayed.

It's definitely Cousins Bar on the corner there. It's a bloody shame that nothing in that photo is here anymore.

Maroon Sailor
14 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Leith / Edinburgh boundary

20210117_090513.thumb.jpg.aea9c749d3f4662228a36db0d4e0146f.jpg

Unique pub as Leith and Edinburgh had different licensing laws and you could get an extra half hour drinking time on the Leith side.

39 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Don't recognise that train station

20210117_090613.thumb.jpg.18309d8bb9a7b33fd75fd883d1db7efd.jpg

Looks like one on Lower Granton Road.

10 hours ago, argyjambo said:

Where was the railwaymen''s club you refer to, the only ones I knew of were on royal terrace or in bath st.

Was never in the Royal Terrace one but I guess they moved to Stanley Place, although what year I couldn't tell you.  Pretty sure my we were going up to it to meet my mate's grandad around '89, although I don't think it lasted many more yrs before that.  Terrible with dates so I might be a yr or three out!  Th ebuilding has now been converted into the Bellfield Brewery.

13 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210117_093509.jpg.81630d6a39be55f8adb018943f7d48b7.jpg

That's the Embassy on Boswall Parkway at the corner of Pilton Drive North. What was Royston Primary school( my first school in 1968) to left of that picture after St Margaret Mary's church and convent. Granton Primary school approx 300 metres to the right.

15 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Stanley place (lower London road - right at the back next to the railway line). 

It was the Royal Terrace one. Sold that and moved to a purpose built club early 80s. 

Like most clubs membership dwindled as the oldies died out.

Can you remember ¬ what yr it closed?

Maroon Sailor
Just now, John Findlay said:

That's the Embassy on Boswall Parkway at the corner of Pilton Drive North. What was Royston Primary school( my first school in 1968) to left of that picture after St Margaret Mary's church and convent. Granton Primary school approx 300 metres to the right.

Cheers, always wondered where about on Boswall Parkway The Embassy was

Never re-opened after a fire

10 hours ago, argyjambo said:

Bank of Scotland, Leith walk branch, one of the few I didn't work in,

:laugh:Probably just as well. :olly: