• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Where and what's the story, MS?

Some interesting (maybe) facts about the old Eastern General. It was originally built as a poorhouse for Leith around 1905; replacing one for North Leith which was somewhere between North Junction Street and Madeira Street, and one for South Leith which was in the park area in front of the old Leith Hospital, off Great Junction Street. It was the last poorhouse built in Scotland. During WWI the poorhouse was taken over by the military as a hospital, and was given to the US Navy to use in 1918. It opened as the Eastern General Hospital in 1930. On closure of the hospital, the building in the photo was supposed to be made part of the new development, but there was a fire which left it unsafe, so it demolished. I assume the photo is after the fire, with it bricked up for H&S reasons. The only part of the old hospital which is left is the morgue.

19 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210113_211846.png.572fd7857c1dc6ee156f7088b4756601.png

That's the end of my street and the road surface looks better then than it does now! 

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, FWJ said:

If I remember right it was a ‘Texas’ before it was a Homebase?

It was was Ushers (Vaux) brewery before that.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

53 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Curious about this location.There's nothing to give me any indication where it might be. 

Leith Hospital, Mill Lane.

2641931_c7bf5049.jpg

Edited by Lemongrab

2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Some interesting (maybe) facts about the old Eastern General. It was originally built as a poorhouse for Leith around 1905; replacing one for North Leith which was somewhere between North Junction Street and Madeira Street, and one for South Leith which was in the park area in front of the old Leith Hospital, off Great Junction Street. It was the last poorhouse built in Scotland. During WWI the poorhouse was taken over by the military as a hospital, and was given to the US Navy to use in 1918. It opened as the Eastern General Hospital in 1930. On closure of the hospital, the building in the photo was supposed to be made part of the new development, but there was a fire which left it unsafe, so it demolished. I assume the photo is after the fire, with it bricked up for H&S reasons. The only part of the old hospital which is left is the morgue.

Nice one.  Remember the bus going in and out of the the years but never ever ventured in myself, was always one of those out of the way places that wasn't on the way back from drinking night outs, otherwise .... 😆

4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210114_162301.jpg.e09491d6b58721738fb18f766a775979.jpg

Is this Abbeyhill, the only if it is the only  time I really ever spent time there  was doing traffic points duty at that intersection.it was a bit different thats for sure

5 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Is this Abbeyhill, the only if it is the only  time I really ever spent time there  was doing traffic points duty at that intersection.it was a bit different thats for sure

Yes, Artisan right middle where orangy coloured front is (roughly). and phpoto taken roughly outside the Station Bar, now called the Safari Lounge!

3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Did someone stay in Granton Crescent or even Granton Medway.

Went to Sea Cadets there.

Wardieburn Terrace. Back in the days when entire extended families all lived in the same schemes. We moved to Boswell eventually but my grannie lived there until the day she died. 

14 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Yes, Artisan right middle where orangy coloured front is (roughly). and phpoto taken roughly outside the Station Bar, now called the Safari Lounge!

The back of the Station was always the Safari Lounge, Christ knows why. Now the whole pub is and hipster central. Tosspots I know love it and go on about how it’s an “authentic” pub. Bollocks, they would have run a mile from the Safari a few years ago. I hate all these classic boozers getting turned into craft ale shithouses so middle class ponces can kid themselves they go into a proper pub to drink their imported grapefruit IPA and pay a fiver a can for the muck.
Rant over. 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The back of the Station was always the Safari Lounge, Christ knows why. Now the whole pub is and hipster central. Tosspots I know love it and go on about how it’s an “authentic” pub. Bollocks, they would have run a mile from the Safari a few years ago. I hate all these classic boozers getting turned into craft ale shithouses so middle class ponces can kid themselves they go into a proper pub to drink their imported grapefruit IPA and pay a fiver a can for the muck.
Rant over. 

I didn't know that, or have forgotten due to the ravages of time.  Mate and I, often used to drop in there after a sesh with his grandfather at the Railwayman's Club just down the way, and then onto the Artisan, especially for the derby.  I was in the SL a year or so ago on a crawl back to Porty and I must say it was a bit hipster, and expensive but then Ihad worked my way up from Duke Street.  :lol:

7 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Well said. I used to love the Station bar now and again before a derby or when on an Abbeyhill pub crawl (Artisan, Regent Buffet, Hop Step, Marionville, Middletons etc.). Even my granddad's railway club is now Bellfield craft brewery (although one of the owners of that is a mate so I'll let them off). 

:lol: :fonzie:

2 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

I didn't know that, or have forgotten due to the ravages of time.  Mate and I, often used to drop in there after a sesh with his grandfather at the Railwayman's Club just down the way, and then onto the Artisan, especially for the derby.  I was in the SL a year or so ago on a crawl back to Porty and I must say it was a bit hipster, and expensive but then Ihad worked my way up from Duke Street.  :lol:

I think there might have been a craze at some point for giving lounge bars a different more glamorous name than the pub they were attached to. Make them sound exotic and interesting. I used to enjoy the Dolphin Lounge which was attached to the Crown Bar at the foot of Leith Walk. Mainly because the barman was forever forgetting to close at the proper time. And I do mean forgetting by accident, you’d be getting a pint in and he’d spot he should have been shut an hour ago, swear like a trooper and still serve it. Same place my future wife asked for a glass of wine and got offered half a cider as a replacement. I know how to treat a lady. 

Maroon Sailor
30 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Bag of coal heading for the beat mans car.:bobby:

Not the traditional blue police box in the 60's then?

It's blue now

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I think there might have been a craze at some point for giving lounge bars a different more glamorous name than the pub they were attached to. Make them sound exotic and interesting. I used to enjoy the Dolphin Lounge which was attached to the Crown Bar at the foot of Leith Walk. Mainly because the barman was forever forgetting to close at the proper time. And I do mean forgetting by accident, you’d be getting a pint in and he’d spot he should have been shut an hour ago, swear like a trooper and still serve it. Same place my future wife asked for a glass of wine and got offered half a cider as a replacement. I know how to treat a lady. 

:lol: love an lunchtime/afternoon drink down that area, racing on the telly and top-notch shan music.  I though the Dolphin was near the bottom of Easter Road but as usual, most likely getting confused again.  Was it not one of those facades that had blue vertical 4" wooding siding. no windows, and a white box lighting with Dolphin Lounge lit up. or am I thinking of a chippie. or perhaps a massague parlour along Fountainbridge? :th_o:  Anyway, need to get out and about again, as soon as this affliction is consigned to the bin!

46 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Wardieburn Terrace. Back in the days when entire extended families all lived in the same schemes. We moved to Boswell eventually but my grannie lived there until the day she died. 

👍aye I was Royston Mains place, my mum's sister was Royston Mains crescent and their parents, my Grandparents were the bottom of Crewe Road North.

13 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

:lol: love an lunchtime/afternoon drink down that area, racing on the telly and top-notch shan music.  I though the Dolphin was near the bottom of Easter Road but as usual, most likely getting confused again.  Was it not one of those facades that had blue vertical 4" wooding siding. no windows, and a white box lighting with Dolphin Lounge lit up. or am I thinking of a chippie. or perhaps a massague parlour along Fountainbridge? :th_o:  Anyway, need to get out and about again, as soon as this affliction is consigned to the bin!

Nah the Dolphin definitely Leith Walk. The Crown was on the corner of the Walk and Crown Street(Place?) with Dolphin the back of it with a separate entrance and is now a Papa John’s pizza shop. You’re right about the relative lack of windows though. Pete Simon’s (Caledonian Bar) just up the road is now Dominoes pizza. 
Leith Walk used to be an impossible pub crawl if you started at the Central and made your way up to Elm Row finishing in the Elm Bar. 

50 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Nah the Dolphin definitely Leith Walk. The Crown was on the corner of the Walk and Crown Street(Place?) with Dolphin the back of it with a separate entrance and is now a Papa John’s pizza shop. You’re right about the relative lack of windows though. Pete Simon’s (Caledonian Bar) just up the road is now Dominoes pizza. 
Leith Walk used to be an impossible pub crawl if you started at the Central and made your way up to Elm Row finishing in the Elm Bar. 

Right, gotcha! It's kinda coming into focus a bit more now. Aye, changed a lot. least I can still get my pie from Storries, and maybe a wee fly cemetery. :laugh:

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

Rant over. 

:greatpost:

Although I wouldn't mind having the option to pop in right now for a Friday end of week pint.

8 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210113_095415.png

Westbank Street off Porty High Street, opposite Aldi today.  Back in the day the site on the right would become the Outdoor pool by the mid '30s. and on the left out of sight, you already had the Power Station generating power for the city - day I moved to Porty they were wrecking the last of that building with a ball; that was early '79.

Edit:  Should add you can see the Figure 8 Big Dipper rollercoaster at Fun City in the background.

Edited by ArcticJambo

41 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Westbank Street off Porty High Street, opposite Aldi today.  Back in the day the site on the right would become the Outdoor pool by the mid '30s. and on the left out of sight, you already had the Power Station generating power for the city - day I moved to Porty they were wrecking the last of that building with a ball; that was early '79.

Edit:  Should add you can see the Figure 8 Big Dipper rollercoaster at Fun City in the background.

Sadly all gone now, Porty shows replaced by poncy flats which, by the way, have balconies overlooking the Forth & get hee haw sunshine.

5 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Definitely Bob, I crossed that road every day at that junction to go to Abbey hill school 1959 - 1966 .Only got knocked down once. Uncle Ted or Bert from Edinburgh & Borders polis went round Edinburgh schools in these days hammering home the road safety message. Wish I'd listened🤐

32 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

Definitely Bob, I crossed that road every day at that junction to go to Abbey hill school 1959 - 1966 .Only got knocked down once. Uncle Ted or Bert from Edinburgh & Borders polis went round Edinburgh schools in these days hammering home the road safety message. Wish I'd listened🤐

I was still in the Edinburgh Police 1959 - 1966, It hadn't become changed until after that. If the policeman ever stopped the traffic for you and your pals to cross it could have been me.

3 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I was still in the Edinburgh Police 1959 - 1966, It hadn't become changed until after that. If the policeman ever stopped the traffic for you and your pals to cross it could have been me.

I wouldn't have admitted that, he could sue.

1 hour ago, argyjambo said:

Sadly all gone now, Porty shows replaced by poncy flats which, by the way, have balconies overlooking the Forth & get hee haw sunshine.

Aye. that's an odd one but then on the other hand, they do get the best of the figgy burn high tide dead seaweed aroma. :lol:

Was thinking that Westbank is probably the only street in Portobello still with all its original (very shiny) setts (well I assume original as it's a very old street).  Can you think of anywhere else, other than Brighton Pl which now has some flat ones for cyclists, half of which are useless as they always hidden by parked cars?  :lol:

7 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Not the traditional blue police box in the 60's then?

It's blue now

I seem to remember them all being a bland grey.

1 minute ago, maroondevo52 said:

argyjambo said : "Only got knocked down once. "

Ah,ok, that is funny, being who/what I am I wondered if there was something I wasn't seeing, thanks for the response.

2 hours ago, maroondevo52 said:

I wouldn't have admitted that, he could sue.

🤷🏿‍♂️

Edited by Morgan

17 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Right, gotcha! It's kinda coming into focus a bit more now. Aye, changed a lot. least I can still get my pie from Storries, and maybe a wee fly cemetery. :laugh:

Dolphin Lounge.jpg