Offers already made to 3 players ( merged )

maroonsgotop

Escobar PHM
53 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

34 I think it is for Scottish teams now.

play v a team from Saturn to qualify.

Good trip Saturn. Nae atmosphere though.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Spencer

• JamboAl

• Absolute Scenes

The Comedian

If Aberdeen or Hibs or perhaps Rangers (the sides we should be competing with) were trying to sign McLean this board would be pishing itself laughing, mentoring squad member or not. That's a fact.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
8 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Possibly.

Best young Scottish Centre Back at the moment ;) 

Ah, if only statistically that were true :) Have you managed to get him over his trauma from last week. Still don't think he has found Lafferty yet

Nookie Bear
3 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

If Aberdeen or Hibs or perhaps Rangers (the sides we should be competing with) were trying to sign McLean this board would be pishing itself laughing, mentoring squad member or not. That's a fact.

A Rowan Vine-esque signing.

IveSeenTheLight
3 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

After taking him on loan for 6 months we never followed up trying to get him permanently.

that at a time when we were really poor and was 8 years ago already.

IveSeenTheLight
Just now, Sir Gio said:

Ah, if only statistically that were true :) Have you managed to get him over his trauma from last week. Still don't think he has found Lafferty yet

Young loons will have off days for sure.

Strolled through the two international games.

Name a better left sided Scottish centre back at the moment?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Not even going to dignify that with a response :rofl:

Last Saturday was witness to men against boys literally

BobbyJenkins
5 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

?

IveSeenTheLight
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Not even going to dignify that with a response :rofl:

Last Saturday was witness to men against boys literally

Is Berra left footed?

I was talking about young CB's

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Is Berra left footed?

I was talking about young CB's

If you don't know Berra is left footed.......and you didn't mention age in that post, you did earlier, but then you didn't mention left sided in that post, it came in the later one.

But I can help.

McKenna is the best left sided under 25 centre back living in Bridge of Don

IveSeenTheLight
Just now, Sir Gio said:

If you don't know Berra is left footed.......and you didn't mention age in that post, you did earlier, but then you didn't mention left sided in that post, it came in the later one.

But I can help.

McKenna is the best left sided under 25 centre back living in Bridge of Don

LOL.

Ok, I missed out age in that post, but the conversations was around young Scottish CB's

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

LOL.

Ok, I missed out age in that post, but the conversations was around young Scottish CB's

I think he is a very good player joking apart, comfortable on the ball for his size, but he needs a lot more experience. He was tortured last Saturday, probably not helped by the donkies  around him right enough, played well in the internationals, but true tests will come. How is he going to handle a Harry Kane for example for Scotland. Whole different ball game to 2 kickabouts

tolcross lad
17 hours ago, Smithee said:

MacDonald signed as a player then became manager but kept playing for another 4 years while sandy signed at 34 and played for 4 years before becoming co manager, winning the writers' player of the year at 37.

Alex became player manager in 1981.Sandy became his captain and assistant manager in 1982.These great guys were real value for money not signed just for back up or mentoring

Bazzas right boot
22 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Good trip Saturn. Nae atmosphere though.

:clap:

Also heard their front 3 run "rings" round you!

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

Alex became player manager in 1981.Sandy became his captain and assistant manager in 1982.These great guys were real value for money not signed just for back up or mentoring

Sandy signed in 82 but wasn't made co manager until 86

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, tolcross lad said:

I agree. I wouldn't compare this potential signing to those. I really don't think he will be used in anything other than cameo roles. Keena, Henderson and Currie, added to the 2 star players he is there to make up numbers and coach I would think. Perhaps add experience in a difficult situation off the bench. Bottom line, I doubt it will even cost 2k a week that seems to have been plucked out of the air.

Bazzas right boot
24 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Not if they had Lafferty and Naismith up front I wouldn't.

Any person with half a brain can see what McLean's role is going to be in the team.

If you want to worry about what other fans think or piss your breeks because he's not a £5m rated 25 year old striker then crack on. Probably be a tough summer for you, tho.

Otherwise the adults of the board will take it all in and then judge the transfer window after the window has opened and then shut and then even,  maybe after the new players have played a few times for Hearts before judging.

The alternative seems to be -

See the source image

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Not if they had Lafferty and Naismith up front I wouldn't.

Any person with half a brain can see what McLean's role is going to be in the team.

If you want to worry about what other fans think or piss your breeks because he's not a £5m rated 25 year old striker then crack on. Probably be a tough summer for you, tho.

Otherwise the adults of the board will take it all in and then judge the transfer window after the window has opened and then shut and then even,  maybe after the new players have played a few times for Hearts before judging.

The alternative seems to be -

See the source image

Quite possibly the most patronising post i have ever read on here. Horrific.

Of course, as an adult, you will be waiting until the window is over and we've played a few games before judging this to be a good move.

Naismith actually signing will be a good move.

Yes, we all understand what McLean's role is but it doesn't mean his value as a player is beyond criticism (unless he has been offered a Player/Coach role, of course)

There is the assumption he will be a good mentor because he is old. Now, i am assuming Levein knows a lot more about his personality than me and he sees him as the kind of guy who can d more than just sit on the bench but, at the end of the day, we have signed an ageing striker and an untried coach.

Very few people are panicking here. The only stress i am seeing is from those who cannot understand why not everyone is buying into this, even though the reasons for not doing so are quite clear.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

You said he was on the verge of being punted...which was categorically wrong. There were a few offers that had apparently come in and Levein said he had no intention of selling our top goal scorer (which you all of a sudden seem keen to have a negative light on...hmmm)

Levein denying means it didn't happen. If something did happen he would have said it had but confirmed it had been sorted.

You only put half of what CL said, we won’t sell him . . . unless we have a replacement. Or is that a lie?

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-will-only-sell-kyle-lafferty-if-they-have-replacement-1-4680389

50 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Possibly.

Best young Scottish Centre Back at the moment ;) 

I've only seen him once in the flesh , at Tynecastle and he was utterly horrendous tbh . 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Lovecraft said:

I would prefer Aberdeen 2nd, Hibs or Kille 3rd and Rangers not in Europe at all.

Kille 3rd and Motherwell win the cup, Huns and Hibs miss out ??

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Of course, as an adult, you will be waiting until the window is over and we've played a few games before judging this to be a good move.

Yes, we all understand what McLean's role is but it doesn't mean his value as a player is beyond criticism (unless he has been offered a Player/Coach role, of course)

There is the assumption he will be a good mentor because he is old. Now, i am assuming Levein knows a lot more about his personality than me and he sees him as the kind of guy who can d more than just sit on the bench but, at the end of the day, we have signed an ageing striker and an untried coach.

Very few people are panicking here. The only stress i am seeing is from those who cannot understand why not everyone is buying into this, even though the reasons for not doing so are quite clear.

Let’s no go over the Hughes thing again but multiple posters said coaches can’t mentor players, but it seems McLean might do this (as Gallagher did last season) and combine the two. Do we need another coach (can’t Daly and Kirk mentor players) and bit part player.

Escobar PHM
30 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Okay its a bit arsey of you but its a decent point. If we get to mid July and weve signed 3 decent looking midfield players, a starting striker, a starting left back and a centre half who can play in a 3 or step in to a 2, plus a goalkeeper, no one will be in the least concerned about Mclean and if he picks up a wage for a year for not very much back from him no-one will care much. Its not the cover Levein needs to fix first, its the starting 11 and close options.

People will judge transfer by transfer though, and when you look at what the perception is on what we need in total, this is an uninspiring start, Yes it might well just be coincidental that he is first of quite a few and most of the others will excite and satisfy but you can hardly blame folk for being a bit 'meh' on Mclean to say the least, given Hearts somewhat hit and miss recruitment record in the last few years.

I don't think we need him or a player of his age in his position, but if we fix all the main things needing fixed, I don't really give one about Steven Mclean's retirement fund contract.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Okay its a bit arsey of you but its a decent point. If we get to mid July and weve signed 3 decent looking midfield players, a starting striker, a starting left back and a centre half who can play in a 3 or step in to a 2, plus a goalkeeper, no one will be in the least concerned about Mclean and if he picks up a wage for a year for not very much back from him no-one will care much. Its not the cover Levein needs to fix first, its the starting 11 and close options.

People will judge transfer by transfer though, and when you look at what the perception is on what we need in total, this is an uninspiring start, Yes it might well just be coincidental that he is first of quite a few and most of the others will excite and satisfy but you can hardly blame folk for being a bit 'meh' on Mclean to say the least, given Hearts somewhat hit and miss recruitment record in the last few years.

I don't think we need him or a player of his age in his position, but if we fix all the main things needing fixed, I don't really give one about Steven Mclean's retirement fund contract.

If we lose Lafferty and don't keep Naismith and Mclean has number 9 on his back then I'll be pissing my pants as well.

Up until that happens I'll be cool and Welcome him aboard and hopefully when called upon he can do a good job. At a guess, He'll be better than Stockton from the bench.

Escobar PHM
1 minute ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

If we lose Lafferty and don't keep Naismith and Mclean has number 9 on his back then I'll be pissing my pants as well.

Up until that happens I'll be cool and Welcome him aboard and hopefully when called upon he can do a good job. At a guess, He'll be better than Stockton from the bench.

Is he better than Stockton ? Yes I think you can say without fear of contradiction that he is. Is he capable of getting a good few goals and playing a big part at this level ? Probably not anymore but you never know would be my answer to that. As long as he's not draining the budget and we miss out on someone really good because we cant afford him because of signing Mclean, then hey ho, dusnae matter a whole lot.

Bazzas right boot
31 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Lots of folk criticising, moaning, pant wetting, saying enough is enough, worry about other fans, blah blah etc.

That is not what an adult should do imo.

As my post a few above( now below) it is a perfectly sensible signing.

-

we don't have the prestige or cash for that ( quality in depth), not If we want Naismith  type signings.

we are relaying on the players professionalism to do his best when called upon, we'll also still have young, hungry players around.

really is about balance.

youth, experience 

quality v squad depth v keeping players happy.

he's not an exciting signing, but as 3rd choice and given his personal ambition it seems a good fit.

Cowie and Miller show that you can still be an effective player in the veteran stage.

nothing to get excited about, but nothing to be getting angry or concerned about either.

Only sky , football manager and FIFA fan boys along CL haters will have an issue with this. Most others can see it for what it is and get behind the guy as soon as he pulls on our famous top.

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Personally I think it is an uninspiring signing, regardless of what happens before August. 

But is definitely better than Stockton. I’ll accept that

lofty praise as fact :laugh:

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Personally I think it is an uninspiring signing, regardless of what happens before August. 

But is definitely better than Stockton. I’ll accept that

lofty praise as fact :laugh:

he'll be a better lb than Osh as well..... sticking my neck out here.:huh2:

Dr Ian Malcolm
1 hour ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Off days?

06204816-FE4C-4397-A6AD-4F36488F7428-11301-00000D52C2A8EB8A.jpeg

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Spencer said:

What a thread :facepalm:

Join the merriment. As far as JKB goes exciting as it gets time being 

maroonsgotop
9 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

McLean signs. His old man just confirmed.

totally underwhelmed. hope he wasn't one of the 3

3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

What do people make of Paul Gallacher on a playing contract?

He was awesome in the charity games at the end of last season. Played in an advanced wide right role.

heartsfc_fan

Here's a thought.

Is McLean better than Sammon or Stockton?

Yes he is. He's here for backup.

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

Whether or not, presumably one of the nine and one of the six to be signed before the season begins in mid July.

chester copperpot
21 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

McLean signs. His old man just confirmed.

Signed yesterday by all accounts.

More to come soon.........

1 minute ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Here's a thought.

Is the correct answer.He's also here to help the younger players.Anyone remember Craig brewster?.I kept writing him off only to see him constantly make an impact against us.Both very similar players in that their game intelligence stuck out.

Jamboscanbevicius

I am not too concerned by this. He has been a decent SPFL player for a while and probably has a bit to offer the squad on and off the park for a year as a backup option (unlike having someone like Stockton as backup for example)!

Signing him as our first bit of business for the summer is probably not a good PR move, so wouldn't surprise me if we do not officially announce this even if a pre-contract is signed.

I also hope this means that Sammon will be away permanently - he is younger and better than McLean but clearly will be on a much higher wage. So if we're paying it anyway we'd be better off with Sammon as backup.

6 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Here's a thought.

Sammon's career includes some decent clubs and 9 caps so that is perhaps debatable. What will count for us is what they do from now on I suppose.

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

what does it matter, one of the three, one of the nine?

what's the difference?

Sexton Hardcastle
7 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Signed yesterday by all accounts.

More to come soon.........

Put pen to paper an hour or so ago 

chester copperpot
Just now, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Put pen to paper an hour or so ago 

Must've been agreed yesterday though as heard it was definite last night

A_A wehatethehibs

We are all missing the bigger picture here

This is absolutely brilliant news 

Losing their central focal point striker Maclean, and big reason for their top 6 success, surely now next season will be finally the season we have all been waiting for:

St Johnstone for relegation

:yas:

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Sexton Hardcastle
3 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Must've been agreed yesterday though as heard it was definite last night

Seems to have been but I guess the usual add ons and agent fees hold things a little.

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We are all missing the bigger picture here

This is absolutely brilliant news 

Losing their central focal point striker Maclean, and big reason for their top 6 success, surely now this will be finally the season we have all been waiting for:

St Johnstone for relegation

:yas:

He’ll be their player until the season ends.