Offers already made to 3 players ( merged )

maroonsgotop

Keeping it separate from the other thread as he looks to be set to sign up according to various news outlets.

Having thought about it more, I’m happy to back Craig’s judgement on the lad who has had a decent career north and south of the border, keeps himself in good condition and could be a player to bring on if things aren’t going our way or back up to Laff and another striker.  

Hes a a lot less risk than YouTube football agency also. 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Spencer

• JamboAl

• Absolute Scenes

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
41 minutes ago, GorgieRules22 said:

It’s a crap signing, no point trying to butter it up any other way, massive summer in terms of recruitment, piss poor start.

Correct. I would rather keep the wage and use it to pay a transfer fee for Milinkovic. If Levein is in the market for these types of players while not pursuing him then I'm not going to be happy. 

22 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Mclean may sign as cover and for a future coaching role 

Just what we need....another coach 

Million pound on a new pitch and 430 coaches, coaching how to play attractive hoofball in our shiny new stand 

In Levein we trust 

We’re going to have more coaches than players at this rate. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

For those that missed it we signed Paul Gallagher and all he has ever done is coaching. 

Lots of wet pants on this story 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 minutes ago, Bez said:

Merge please mods??

For the second time. Opening a new thread just means a car and a train crash 

Bridge of Djoum
5 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

Fleapit will be quite happy for us to sign this guy seeing as it won’t really impact on his viewing pleasure from his piss stained armchair in New York.

unfortunately is fans that actually go along to the games and sit through it in the freezing cold will need to put up with the dross.

its always easier to not be as critical or upset when it’s costing you F all.

Bitter much?

Never had any interaction at all with you, and your opener is a wee personal dig. Dear dear, wee man. 

Just now, gedster said:

Is this the guy who is so fragile he can only play on grass, not on astro?

So wouldn’t be able to train indoors at our training ground.....

This signing makes zero sense and I’m still not believing it.

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

But you can't be a role model?

I could but maybe Levein thinks that Maclean would be better than Lafferty.

That is the inference I get from Levein's comments.

Enzo Chiefo
8 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I would prefer us to have a couple of wayward maverick types like Lafferty at times. Yes, he sometimes goes off the rails and also picks up silly bookings but he's a winner. You want guys like that to pass on their experiences to the youngsters. Nowadays the academies tend to bring through identikt players who have all been over-coached and pampered to an extent. We're becoming so squeaky clean that I expect AB to shortly announce a sponsorship deal with WD40 .

Edited by Enzo Chiefo

Hungry hippo
1 hour ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

I'm guessing if we're in for Maclean and it's not just his agent fishing, then it means Naismith is off.

I'd say the opposite. If we're to finance Naismith on a long term deal it makes sense to have a reasonably priced alternative for the squad.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Oh a smart arse to boot. Hilarious :lol:

The Comedian

You'd have McLean mentoring strikers for the same reason you'd have Levein mentoring coaches - because you know **** all about anything.

:cornette:

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Hearts 1983 side was nicknamed “dads army” Sandy Jardine (aged 34), Alex MacDonald (35), Willie Johnston (36), Stewart Maclaren and Donald Park (both 30).

Jimmy Bone was the veteran former Partick striker added to that team for free at age 34 to play alongside John Robertson in his first season in the top division. Hearts 3-2 Hibs, say no more.

Craig Levein knows that history better than most. I suspect he is maybe trying to slightly replicate it in some way. 

MacLean himself is not what matters, his career is just about done same as Bones was when he came to Hearts. What matters is, what is the best way to help Keena, Henderson, Moore, Cochrane and McDonald to perform? Along with keeping the main man Lafferty happy and hopefully Naismith. MacLean did a pretty good job with Stevie May, who would probably tell you that he would not have much of a career if not for him.

Our Midfield requirements are an ENTIRELY different story

Football has moved on so much since those days.

We need players in the 24 to 30 bracket still young but also the desire and drive.

Sorry to say I see this as a poor move.

I really hope I am wrong but signings like that make me think we will be going through another CL experiment. I personally am on the edge with CL backed him at the start as I thought he would kick us on but get the feeling that's not his agenda these days.

Unknown user
Just now, Rents said:

We need players in the 24 to 30 bracket still young but also the desire and drive.

I really hope I am wrong but signings like that make me think we will be going through another CL experiment. I personally am on the edge with CL backed him at the start as I thought he would kick us on but get the feeling that's not his agenda these days.

Not everything in football has changed though, it's not like youngsters just gain experience and wisdom by osmosis these days, and that's before you take into account how much better footballers are able to look after themselves now with our more advanced understanding of nutrition, the human body, training etc etc

16 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I'd say the opposite. If we're to finance Naismith on a long term deal it makes sense to have a reasonably priced alternative for the squad.

Agreed 

I can see the sense behind it with MacLean 

He is another player who clearly lives the right lifestyle. To still be playing over 30 games a season over 35yrs old he is obviously a good role model to younger players. 

An ideal type of player to have in the squad just like Hughes if we want to use young players from the academy.

Since young players lack experience and consistency they need people round them who can provide that crutch until they have gained it themselves. 

I would rather him than say Stockton as a back up. Not going to start but can be competent coming on and knows how to score in Scotland. Who knows or really cares what he is like at coaching or mentoring it's a bonus if anything.

siegementality
4 hours ago, PUMPHY said:

Ffs scrambling in the basement again.Steve McLean does not excite me in the least.Is this the best we can do.

If there is any substance to the rumour I would be really disappointed.  As others have said between the coaches and seasoned pros we already have at the club we have more than enough role models. A few exciting signings who will make sure every player has to work for their place in the team is required. 35 year old average strikers, no thanks.

5 hours ago, PUMPHY said:

Ffs scrambling in the basement again.Steve McLean does not excite me in the least.Is this the best we can do.

7 posts, every one slagging off Hearts. 

Brighton Jambo

what i want to know is who people actually expect to sign and what constitutes a good signing.  Everytime we sign anyone it is relentless negativity and it's doing my head in.  The only two people agreed on were Berra, only got him because he wanted to come home, and Naismith who is on loan.  Literally everyone else people moan.  Do people really think we can afford a team of Naismith calibre players?  

chester copperpot
On 08/04/2018 at 21:04, New York Fleapit said:

I wont say how I know but McLean has defo agreed to sign.

Feel free to drag this up if I am wrong.

Wont say what else I know as nothing else is concrete but McLean is a defo

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

For those that missed it we signed Paul Gallagher and all he has ever done is coaching. 

Lots of wet pants on this story 

Trust me. He is very good at it.

A_A wehatethehibs
35 minutes ago, Rents said:

You dismiss a very big lesson from the history of our club, a lesson about how we brought through some of our greatest ever young players John Robertson, Gary Mackay, and Craig Levein who we signed from Cowdenbeath that season.

And Dave Bowman 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

what i want to know is who people actually expect to sign and what constitutes a good signing.  Everytime we sign anyone it is relentless negativity and it's doing my head in.  The only two people agreed on were Berra, only got him because he wanted to come home, and Naismith who is on loan.  Literally everyone else people moan.  Do people really think we can afford a team of Naismith calibre players?  

Given how far behind our rivals we have been I would expect us to be looking at players that could get a game in a top 6 club minimum. Maclean isn't that now. Having defended the management over some attacks it is to me absolutely correct to express disappointment at this as a potential signing. I can't agree with the idea you have of relentless negativity about signings. Some have produced much anticipation which unfortunately proved unfounded.

Enzo Chiefo
4 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Players from the lower leagues in England. McLaughlin, Curtis Main, Louis Moult  , Joe Lewis at Aberdeen. Players that are on low wages, do not have academy backgrounds and are hungry to better themselves. That involves driving up and down the motorways and doing the hard graft that managers and their coaching staff need to do. Watch a player on a cold winter's night when tgey are 3 down and get an idea of their will to win and their character. Old fashioned scouting. I dont know that we do that. All the nutritional , analysis and stats stuff is useful but it doesn't identify hungry players with a desire to win.

Goldstone Wonder

Can’t be arsed looking through this thread but has Murray Davidson been mentioned on this? Been mentioned in dispatches on Twitter. 

If this is true re McLean then it’s surely all about him providing coaching input. Christ, he’s not even that great a striker to begin with, but at age 35, is likely to make little, if any, useful contribution in games. I’m assuming Craig’s like Baldrick and has some cunning plan. If he thinks McLean is a decent striker my respect for the manager just went down a notch.

Lee Wallace is fit and has a 3 year deal from us on the table. He's keen and is mulling it over, but has a testimonial year at the Huns within touching distance, should they offer him an extension. 

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, pablo said:

Lee Wallace is fit and has a 3 year deal from us on the table. He's keen and is mulling it over, but has a testimonial year at the Huns within touching distance, should they offer him an extension. 

He’s contracted to 2019

Lord Beni of Gorgie
33 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Takes one to recognise one perhaps :happy:

It doesn't. 

4 minutes ago, pablo said:

Where are you hearing this?

Nookie Bear
7 minutes ago, pablo said:

I was under the impression Mitchell was confident of coming back. Can’t see us having both. 

3 minutes ago, pablo said:

He'd be a good addition if he can stay fit.

Is it just a rumour?

Unknown user
1 minute ago, jambocub said:

He'd be a good addition if he can stay fit.

Is it just a rumour?

Yeah I reckon, he has another year to go with the rangers

Fly the Saltire
1 hour ago, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

Correct. I would rather keep the wage and use it to pay a transfer fee for Milinkovic. If Levein is in the market for these types of players while not pursuing him then I'm not going to be happy. 

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Yeah I reckon, he has another year to go with the rangers

Just with him being a local lad I thought a few on here would be close to him..

No that it matters as nothing is guaranteed until any deals are signed

Cant wait to hear the reasons behind Buaben getting his new deal. That's coming. Are we all in agreement that shouldn't be happening or will the experience excuse come out again.

Judge Fudge
4 minutes ago, Fly the Saltire said:

Agree Can't see point of signing another 35 year old striker / target man when the team lacks pace up front

We lack pace upfront because our midfield needs surgery. I don't think for a minute that 8 or 9 players coming in that Levein talked about will go straight in or be on the bench. If we get an Indian summer out of a 35 year old  striker with the right attitude I'll be happy. Berra was apparently passed his best. Adding to what we already have and getting the right blend is the key here.

3 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

Lafferty cant be any sort of role model next season if he is no longer with us. 

Oh, is he away then ??

There is no way MacLean should be signing.

I can't believe some on here trying to justify the signing when they should be shaking their heads in amazement...now I know Craig will see him as cover as he likes at least one big forward in his side but if that's the best he can get then we need to look at the scouting network

Of course what makes it worse is having him possibly be the first signing when the fans want a statement of intent from the club by signing someone who we think would improve the side not jut add to the numbers.

This smacks of another Sammon like signing where some defended it and those who did not were proved right within 6 months.

I have read some of the threads kicking the club for no reason and been shaking my head at some but cannot disagree with this one.it will do nothing for us and indeed will simply anger more people

tolcross lad

We have Levein Macphee Daly Fox Gallagher and a fitness coach as well as Berra Cowie Lafferty and possibly Naismith as senior players in the dressing room.We need to recruit players who will compete for places not to be back up.Its beginning to look as though there is another form of experimenting going on if Hughes and Maclean sign.

In the 80s Macdonald and Jardine were player managers.Johnston Bone and Park made many appearances for the club.

There will be big signings and squad fillers over the next few months, can we at least try to no act ****ing spoilt children about  every last one.