VAR review

Hagar the Horrible

Hagar the Horrible

Just read a report on VAR  and its interesting to see the stats a rate of 90.3% of on-field decisions rose to 97.8% thanks to VAR

we have benefited since its been in as there was a lot of revies correcty given to us otherwise we would have once again lost points as a consequence

But this season the VAR reveiw team say 26 decisions were wrong, and get this 3 wrong ones went in our favour while 1 went against us

1. Hearts v Hibs, we should have never had a pen.  hmm

2. Hearts v celtic, we should NOT have had a penalty

3. St Mirren v Hearts, it should have been a penalty to St Mirren

and the other

1. Hearts v Celtic (same game as above)  Celtic should never have had a penalty in which they missed in any case

So I say VAR i working, in the past we got more decisions in out favour right that before it we would have left the game fizzing,  and for balance we keep getting told that decisions even out, so hopefully VAR will also keep making an erchie of it in our favour.

Interesting every dodgy penalty to Ranger has been seen as the right decision,  but 10 of the 26 have been made public, I would suspect therefor the remaining 16 are indeed penalties to Rangers

LarrysRightFoot

These ‘stats’ are subjective as what is a correct or incorrect decision is still down to an individuals opinion/interpretation. 

I also dare say not every incident has been reviewed. 

Forrest

I thought it was determined a few months ago that two were wrong in the first part of the season:

Boyce getting studded in the chest v Motherwell

Forrest being booked for diving v ?Ross County 

But I agree (if that's what you were saying) - keep it, but get the refs better at using it. 

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/var-independent-review-panel-irp-update/?rid=14258

Wednesday 1 May 2024

Following the conclusion of the pre-split SPFL Premiership fixtures in the 2023/24 season, the VAR Independent Review Panel (IRP) have met to consider Key Match Incidents (KMIs).

The panel comprises former players, managers and coaches, guided by experts on the Laws of the Game.

In the opinion of the IRP, based on incidents requested by the panel or submitted for consideration, 26 KMIs have been adjudged to have reached an incorrect outcome since the start of the season.

To date, there have been a total of 1181 VAR reviews conducted in the SPFL Premiership. Whilst the majority of these are silent checks of on field incidents which require no intervention, 76 have resulted in on-field reviews (0.4 on-field reviews per match) while another 36 have been factual overturns (ie offside, inside/outside penalty area).

90.3% of on-field decisions are considered correct by the IRP, increased to 97.8% when including VAR interventions.

Scottish FA Referee Operations shared these statistics to the Premiership clubs on Wednesday morning as part of an update on the performance of VAR in Scotland.

Had a quick look at the SFA website but cannot see who is on the VAR Independent Review Panel.

Why keep it a secret?

Percival King
4 minutes ago, Forrest said:

I thought it was determined a few months ago that two were wrong in the first part of the season:

But I agree (if that's what you were saying) - keep it, but get the refs better at using it. 

That sounds familiar but I think it was qualified by saying that not all VAR decisions were included in that review and, iirc, they didn't say how many had been, which meant there was a lack of context. And I agree with your final comment.

Busby8
2 minutes ago, Forrest said:

Muppets on doughnut net speculating that h1b5 were done out of a top 6 place because of the latest subjective interpretations, while conveniently forgetting that this is only the most recent VAR review.

Seems that they are ignoring what went on earlier in the season with VAR.

Ex member of the SaS

Have to remember the Sevco jersey pull that in the end cost us the game. VaR COULD work ok BUT we need the decisions made public by mikeing up the refs so the crowd can hear what is being said between ref and VaR. It has been suggested that the ref used VaR and told the observer ( for want of a better description ) what to look at and how to judge it. This is wrong and the fans need to be brought into the discussion.

Ex member of the SaS
3 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

Muppets on doughnut net speculating that h1b5 were done out of a top 6 place because of the latest subjective interpretations, while conveniently forgetting that this is only the most recent VAR review.

Seems that they are ignoring what went on earlier in the season with VAR.

They also seem to forget the number of times VaR was used to send off an opposition player so they played 10 men in far more games than any other team in the league.

stuart500

Vargas falling in the box against Hibs was obviously the reason we were around 20 points better off than them at the split. 

Any team with Martin Boyle in the team has no moral high ground against cheating.

TheBigO
37 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Just read a report on VAR  and its interesting to see the stats a rate of 90.3% of on-field decisions rose to 97.8% thanks to VAR

we have benefited since its been in as there was a lot of revies correcty given to us otherwise we would have once again lost points as a consequence

But this season the VAR reveiw team say 26 decisions were wrong, and get this 3 wrong ones went in our favour while 1 went against us

and the other

1. Hearts v Celtic (same game as above)  Celtic should never have had a penalty in which they missed in any case

So I say VAR i working, in the past we got more decisions in out favour right that before it we would have left the game fizzing,  and for balance we keep getting told that decisions even out, so hopefully VAR will also keep making an erchie of it in our favour.

Interesting every dodgy penalty to Ranger has been seen as the right decision,  but 10 of the 26 have been made public, I would suspect therefor the remaining 16 are indeed penalties to Rangers

This is absolute nonsense of the highest degree (not you OP, the "facts").  Not read rest of thread so prob late to the party but here goes...

We've had 6, maybe 7 stonewall penalties denied, including one they admitted where Forrest was given a yellow for diving.  But top of head I can think of Boyce kicked in chest, Shankland (same game) brought down, Forrest tripped, plus the one above, another on Boyce where the guy slid past the ball.  None of them open to interp - all DEFINITE penalties.

I'll also through in the Motherwell (I think) GK who should have been sent off for a karate kick on Oda.

Now my point here is nowhere near an out to get us type thing in fact it's more if every team can report similar incidents as above, and why wouldn't they, then what does this show?!?! It's a total shitshow.  And the fact they can turn round and say we've been involved in only 4 incorrect calls and 3 of them went in our favour is just wild.  Absolutely WILD!

PS The one we "shouldn't" have got against Hibs apparently.  Soft, yes.  Contact?  Yes.  Not a definite mistake.  Fish made a tit of it and there was hip on hip contact.  We've had 2 dives which were pretty identical given as penalties against Celtic, but only one recorded as error.

It's a pile of shite and as I say, very interested to know if other supports have similar to my post here as it would show it's endemic.  And let's be honest, I'm only remembering the ones which went against us, perhaps there are more we benefited from which were wrong.

jamboinglasgow
17 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

This is absolute nonsense of the highest degree (not you OP, the "facts").  Not read rest of thread so prob late to the party but here goes...

We've had 6, maybe 7 stonewall penalties denied, including one they admitted where Forrest was given a yellow for diving.  But top of head I can think of Boyce kicked in chest, Shankland (same game) brought down, Forrest tripped, plus the one above, another on Boyce where the guy slid past the ball.  None of them open to interp - all DEFINITE penalties.

I'll also through in the Motherwell (I think) GK who should have been sent off for a karate kick on Oda.

Now my point here is nowhere near an out to get us type thing in fact it's more if every team can report similar incidents as above, and why wouldn't they, then what does this show?!?! It's a total shitshow.  And the fact they can turn round and say we've been involved in only 4 incorrect calls and 3 of them went in our favour is just wild.  Absolutely WILD!

PS The one we "shouldn't" have got against Hibs apparently.  Soft, yes.  Contact?  Yes.  Not a definite mistake.  Fish made a tit of it and there was hip on hip contact.  We've had 2 dives which were pretty identical given as penalties against Celtic, but only one recorded as error.

It's a pile of shite and as I say, very interested to know if other supports have similar to my post here as it would show it's endemic.  And let's be honest, I'm only remembering the ones which went against us, perhaps there are more we benefited from which were wrong.

It was Kilmarnock that the goalkeeper got Oda with a karate kick.

But agree with you.

With the Vargas penalty, if the explanation was that they felt there was not enough grounds for VAR to intervene as it was not a clear and obvious error by the ref I would understand them saying that it should have not gone to VAR. But instead it makes out once reviewed the penalty was incorrect. 

Ferryjambo99

Most of the decisions listed as wrong in previous updates have been clear cut but there's quite a few here which are very subjective and calling them as wrong outright is just nonsense. Would be interesting to see which former players and managers on the review body were pushing against certain decisions 

Hungry hippo

We had 3 against us and one for in the previous review and the opposite this time so that's 4 for and 4 against according to the reviews.

Hungry hippo

I'm very surprised at the penalty we were given against Celtic being ruled incorrect. I thought it was very harsh but seemed correct based on the current laws as far as I was aware.

Ricardo Quaresma
6 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I'm very surprised at the penalty we were given against Celtic being ruled incorrect. I thought it was very harsh but seemed correct based on the current laws as far as I was aware.

Agree, 2 of them moved the ball illegally, similar to Hampden 2012

So, which penalty against hibs were we supposed to have not got? The rocky handball or the double assault on Forrest and Vargas? LAUGHABLE :rofl:

Oh, if anyone is totting up, the Atkinson shout in the RC home game, plus the 'defensive dive' by Holt on Boyce, penalty all day long

So, they're not counting cases where there wasn't a decision made, just correcting some that were 🤔

They should put a YouTube video of all of these 'corrections' with an explanation

JamboAl

Is the review panel comprised of OF sympathisers as well?

Bull's-eye

Its the same Muppets that decide watching a tv screen that its a penalty only to watch it again a few weeks later and decide it wasn't a penalty.

VAR shouldn't have been required on the majority of these decisions, semi competent referees without an ingrained bias should be the starting point.

As predicted VAR is now the escape root for any blatant cheating that we're subjected to on a weekly basis by every single top flight referee.

colinmorewasgash

No surprise that rangers as usual seem to be the victims for red for sterling  it was defo red terrible tackle and killie shouldn't have got a pen v rangers haha what a joke, again how many times did goldson handle last 2 years and celtic handled it twice but no penalty for us aye sure laughable as was hibs one how was that not a pen. Only one they say was wrong I agree with was yang nvr pen. Who was on review panel dallas walsh petrie lawwell collum and brought up just before we play who next quelle surprise. Denholm one could have went either way but if it was old firm player who made challenge no way would st liedoon have got it either.

boag1874

We have benefited from decisions a couple of times most of us will attest to that, 2 of those were the ref sticking with their original call I believe so without VAR we still get those calls in our favour, we didn’t benefit from VARs intervention.

We’ve also been on the shite end of a number of calls earlier in the year and it took til near enough the winter break to get a league penalty in our favour.

End of the day these are all subjective calls. The Hibs one for example, is it soft? Absolutely. Did he go down easy? Absolutely but there is contact, whether enough for a pen is open to interpretation. The Celtic one is just another example of the handball rule being a complete joke. The Saints one was clumsy from Denholm and we got away with one imo but it’s not like a total stonewaller

jock _turd

If VAR decisions have to be reviewed to see if they were correct or not why bother having the system at all ? The people using VAR have everything the reviewers have but came to a different conclusion as to  what the correct decision should have been? Is that due to actual application of rules or just interpretation of what actually happened at the incident under investigation? The conclusion has to be that VAR, due to the people entrusted to use it, is not fit for purpose!

Bazzas right boot
Posted (edited)

I think VAR use should be refined and used for offside and missed incidents only.

If the ref calls a incident and it's a non pk/ or pk or a foul given/ or not  or the gives a booking and not a red or vice versa then he shouldn't be asked to review it.

He saw it and made the call.

If it was behind his back or missed completely due to LOS issues then he should be called back to review the missed incident.

Var has resulted in more correct decisions and that is why it will and should stay, but it needs refined.

They seem to use it much less in Europe, it doesn't ref games for them and it's being used less in England when the ref makes the call.

The hand ball rule is gubbed, they just made that so daft it's hard to believe they thought it was a good idea.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

kingantti1874

Nonsense review. The one against stmirren was never a pen in a million years.  The decisions against hibs was dodgy however 2 seconds before it, in the same attacking phase there was a stonewall pen on Forrest. 

Mikey1874

Hibs, Celtic and St Mirren penalty decisions were all correct. 

Certainly if the Celtic one isn't a penalty that's a bigger list of incorrect decisions this season. 

AC Mallin_51
5 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

and the other

Agree with this one we got lucky, the other 2 were pens