Offers already made to 3 players ( merged )

maroonsgotop

Big Slim Stylee

There’s an awful lot of mentoring going on here.

Anyone think our first choice Coaches XI will be good enough for 6th next season?

Edited by Big Slim Stylee

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Spencer

• JamboAl

• Absolute Scenes

BobbyJenkins
2 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Find it amusing that a lot of you think he will be leading the line for us as our main striker. End of world stuff lol

I know, the nonsense some on here spout. Arrogant balloons.

53 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

That looks quite impressive tbh. When did we last have options like that. Not forgetting Henderson, Zanatta and Macdonald either.

I genuinely can't get my head round the desperation to find fault in everything Levein/the club wants to do.

Dont know if many people replied to @jamboinglasgow‘s post earlier (lost track in all the fighting), but his post about the reserve league is a really good point.

We have enough '' mentors '' for young strikers (or any other position for that matter), we have Lafferty, Naismith and John Daly was a striker. We are not a retirement home, we need to start building a squad. 16/17 year olds are not ready and ideally we would have a strong first team squad that they can be eased into when ready. Obviously there are budget restrictions to consider. But any player signed as a player, whether at the club already or coming in should be signed to improve the current first team squad now or have the potential improve. Young players should respond to and be inspired by the quality of the players they train with or they see on the pitch for the first team, what ever age those players may be. Marcus Godinho should be an inspiration for example. I am in no way opposed to senior first team players ( Berra has been very good all season ) as long as they are still good enough, the mentor bit can sometimes be a bonus, but is not their main role. IMO. if McLean improved our squad for even a season fair enough, but from a squad building point of view I would rather go for someone like Schalk.

Enzo Chiefo
14 minutes ago, BobbyJenkins said:

You're concerned about everything Levein does, you're a ****ing bore man.

I'd be happier if he had a mentor, someone to steer him in the right direction.

4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I'd be happier if he had a mentor, someone to steer him in the right direction.

He did have, when he was younger. His name was Sandy Jardine.

Saint Jambo
22 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

However, it does make it look as if Lafferty may be on his way, according to various rumours. Naismith will also be difficult to retain.

I don't really get this. Surely no one expected us to go into the new season still only having one senior striker? I don't see how it is possible to conclude from this (potential) signing that Lafferty will be away.

I can see a logic to the signing if limiting resources on back up strikers to an old pro and youngsters allows us to maximise the spend on the main striker. I can also see that rely on youngsters alone would be reckless. If they turn out not to be good enough we'd be in trouble. That said, I'll wait to be convinced that such an old and average pro is the answer.

On a more general point, I'm getting really sick of the 'super threads'. Am I really going to have to wade through a massive thread every day to check whether something interesting has turned up or it is just grown by an extra 30 pages of people arguing over whether Levein is god or the devil? Surely this deserved its own thread. It is making the forum pretty unusable for people that aren't on it all the time.

If MacLean can keep himself fit and available then see no real issue with the signing. IMO I dont think this means Lafferty is away, just that Levein felt he needed an exeperienced head who was able to provide the guidance to the kids and let Laff get on with his own thing. The guy is a freebie, will fill a position on the team sheet that is short on cover and wont be on a huge wage. Think it spells the end for a desire  many on here who were hoping to see Sammon back at Hearts. 

Edited by Fraggle

The list of angry luminaries have made up my mind for me. 

This is a decent squad signing who will be able to make a decent contribution in different areas of the footballing set up.

Still hoping we make a bid for Salah and that Randall will put in a good word for us.

Assuming we are keeping Lafferty and Naismith and we have Daly as s coach already then this is poor signing number 75 by hearts in the last few years

2 minutes ago, bighalders said:

Assuming we are keeping Lafferty and Naismith and we have Daly as s coach already then this is poor signing number 75 by hearts in the last few years

Assuming you are a Hearts supporter, that’s all just premature speculation as an excuse to whine and moan.

Big Slim Stylee

Really just enough of the “mentor” shite now ffs.

Bit more of the Marshall stuff would maybe have those rattles rattling and the old scarvies twirling....

ford donald
49 minutes ago, StanLaurel said:

I didn't realise he was 35. It doesn't make sense to me as a signing. I'd rather see guys like Keena, Currie and Henderson get more game time. 

He's not a player I've ever watched and thought 'he'd be a good player for us'. 

Hopefully he'll come in and do well though.  

It's obviously to me CL is bringing him in as a mentor for the younger strikers,Don't see a problem with that,age is a number.

Big Slim Stylee
5 minutes ago, ford donald said:

It's obviously to me CL is bringing him in as a mentor for the younger strikers,Don't see a problem with that,age is a number.

Aaaargh!!!!!!!

Edited by Big Slim Stylee
I added an exclamation point...sigh

TyphoonJambo
4 minutes ago, ford donald said:

Agreed, another piece of the “bigger picture” slipping into place.

Siphiwe Tshabalala
41 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

We have enough '' mentors '' for young strikers (or any other position for that matter), we have Lafferty, Naismith and John Daly was a striker. We are not a retirement home, we need to start building a squad. 16/17 year olds are not ready and ideally we would have a strong first team squad that they can be eased into when ready. Obviously there are budget restrictions to consider. But any player signed as a player, whether at the club already or coming in should be signed to improve the current first team squad now or have the potential improve. Young players should respond to and be inspired by the quality of the players they train with or they see on the pitch for the first team, what ever age those players may be. Marcus Godinho should be an inspiration for example. I am in no way opposed to senior first team players ( Berra has been very good all season ) as long as they are still good enough, the mentor bit can sometimes be a bonus, but is not their main role. IMO. if McLean improved our squad for even a season fair enough, but from a squad building point of view I would rather go for someone like Schalk.

Godinho dancing on nightclub tables after the last Derby defeat perhaps shows he's not ready to be an 'inspiration'.

Edited by Siphiwe Tshabalala

Absolute Scenes
2 minutes ago, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

Godinho dancing on nightclub tables after the last Derby defeat perhaps slows he's not ready to be an 'inspiration'.

:facepalm:

5 minutes ago, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

Godinho dancing on nightclub tables after the last Derby defeat perhaps slows he's not ready to be an 'inspiration'.

Like him even more now.

46 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

Mate you maybe forgetting who brought Godinho to the club? Like a few of our current first team player, Levein signed them a few seasons ago. Worth bearing in mind when folk (not you) go on about poor signings each window.

sairyinthat
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

JJ, it's because some of us see through , or are sceptical of, some of the corporate bull***t that the club come out with. In isolation, it maybe seems  a harmless enough signing albeit another wage from our scant resources. However, it does make it look as if Lafferty may be on his way, according to various rumours. Naismith will also be difficult to retain. 

I am concerned that Levein wants a team of robotic role models that are going to mentor a group of over coached academy kids. That is the wrong aporoach because every team needs a maverick, someone that's going to do something random . I'm thinking that Levein  wants Lafferty out due to some perceived indiscretion earlier in the season, as alluded to in Jan. That would be his worst decision to date...IF it happens.

Kerist.

Big Slim Stylee

None of us really mind a couple of old farts around the place but the odd signing that isn’t an amoeba or hanging on to a Zimmer frame wouldn’t go amiss.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Bez said:

This is where I am really. If it allows us to retain Naismith, then strikers of:

Lafferty

Naismith

Currie

McLean

Keena

Covers most of the bases I can think of.

Now, midfield...

It Really is that simple.

That is the best forward line outside of Celtic.

We already have the best defence outside of them.

As you say, the major surgery is in the midfield, where we do need 2/3 quality players on top of what we have and really need to let a couple go.

The midfield needs pace, creativity a left side and a bit of depth. 

Quality players ( strikers) won't be lining up to play for us to sit on the bench and get paid less than £1.5k a week.

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

Godinho dancing on nightclub tables after the last Derby defeat perhaps shows he's not ready to be an 'inspiration'.

Aye, he shouldn't dance until we beat hibs.

Is that were we are at now?

1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Why?

Because hes 21 years old, and I like the fact he is up for a bit of a laugh. It’s not like some of the stuff our 80s stars used to get up to, is it?

1 minute ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Guilty feet have got no rhythm.

Ron Burgundy
Just now, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Come on you're not stupid, a hibs sympathiser yes but not daft.

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Bez said:

Dont know if many people replied to @jamboinglasgow‘s post earlier (lost track in all the fighting), but his post about the reserve league is a really good point.

It was a very educated post, but was guesswork, no?

It may be that he is coming in with a specific coaching remit but, as far as we know, he is coming in as a player and "mentor" so his true value must lie in his on-field performances first.

And, already, this McLean discussion is turning into a carbon copy of the Aaron Hughes thread !

Edited by Nookie Bear

Walter Bishop
1 hour ago, johnking123 said:

Find it amusing that a lot of you think he will be leading the line for us as our main striker. End of world stuff lol

Dont think anyone thinks that, The issue is spending circa 100k per year on a 36 year old striker who is shite, but will be a mentor to our young strikers! Surely Daly and Kirk can "mentor" any strikers that require mentoring? 

I just don't see what the noise is with Maclean potentially signing 

Certainly not going to lose any sleep over it until I see all of the players brought in and over the summer

If Currie and Kenna are coming through the ranks and we are supposed to be signing in excess of 8 players then that tells me that another striker is coming in 

If we sign someone like shalk from RC then we have him, Laff and Naisy playing for the 2 slots, Maclean off the bench to bag us a winner now and again and loads of experience for Keena and Currie to lean on into the bargain ... 

I'm all for bringing in improvement but sometimes when you have good players rotting away on the bench because the other strikers are playing well then its not necessarily the best thing 

This might be a thought out strategy and just because the first player that signs isn't a first team player doesn't mean they aren't coming - Squad players and First Team Players will both be signed 

Come on you're not stupid, a hibs sympathiser yes but not daft.

:yas:

Plz explain how I am a “Hibs sympathiser”.

9 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It was a very educated post, but was guesswork, no?

It may be that he is coming in with a specific coaching remit but, as far as we know, he is coming in as a player and "mentor" so his true value must lie in his on-field performances first.

And, already, this McLean discussion is turning into a carbon copy of the Aaron Hughes thread !

All true. :thumbsup:

Nookie Bear
Just now, Walter Bishop said:

Dont think anyone thinks that, The issue is spending circa 100k per year on a 36 year old striker who is shite, but will be a mentor to our young strikers! Surely Daly and Kirk can "mentor" any strikers that require mentoring? 

The best way to mentor a young striker is to play them alongside a more experienced striker, like Lafferty or Naismith.

I dunno if our young strikers are going to make it, but we will never know if they don't get some game time in the 1st team.

Just now, Ron Burgundy said:

Do you have multiple profiles ?

No. Are you drunk mate? You’ve totally lost me. 

I am a Hibs sympathiser and you think I might have multiple profiles? :lol:

Ron Burgundy
5 minutes ago, Bez said:

No. Are you drunk mate? You’ve totally lost me. 

I am a Hibs sympathiser and you think I might have multiple profiles? :lol:

I was responding to another poster, you on the booze yourself?

I was responding to another poster, you on the booze yourself?

‘kin’ell... sorry. 

Made a ***** of myself there. Apologies. The wee bar came up to say you had posted and I thought it was saying to had replied to my post. 

Ron Burgundy
1 minute ago, Bez said:

‘kin’ell... sorry. 

Made a ***** of myself there. Apologies. The wee bar came up to say you had posted and I thought it was saying to had replied to my post. 

:thumbsup:

heartmussel

Excellent result against Aberdeen with first class performances all round,but looking at that bench before the game it was obvious how much we needed some experience there. No disrespect to any of the youngsters but I very much doubt any of them (maybe Cochrane)will be pushing for a first team start next season only my personal opinion but I think McLean would be an excellent signing for back up.A long way to go but I fully expect some much needed flair in the middle of the park.Sammon and Stockton and we are moaning about McLean!

sairyinthat
2 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Steven MacLean :rofl:

Genuinely thought it was a joke some hibs fan had started. Shambles.

Do you think maybe there is a reason the Herald article described the player as a Classy Forward? That you don't know that is

johnking123

Would not have Lafferty as a mentor! He is not the type the could talk a kid through the game. Do you even watch him! 

3 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Would not have Lafferty as a mentor! He is not the type the could talk a kid through the game. Do you even watch him! 

if a player needs a mentor and talked through the game theyre not ready for the 1st team , how many other teams have 35 year old mentors all over the pitch

Escobar PHM
40 minutes ago, Bez said:

‘kin’ell... sorry. 

Hey Bez. When you go out at the weekend and get aggressive and accusatory face to face with folk, do they punch your lights out, or dismiss you as a fool ?

Or is it just on here you behave like that ?

The Comedian
11 minutes ago, JimKongUno said:

if a player needs a mentor and talked through the game theyre not ready for the 1st team , how many other teams have 35 year old mentors all over the pitch

Aye, but it worked nearly 40 year's ago mate, ken.

MacLean's not exactly a goal machine is he? Not gonna stimulate season ticket sales either. However, if the manager thinks he can do a job then I'll give him a chance. Can't say I've ever noticed him when we were playing Saints. If he was a replacement for Lafferty I'd be concerned but he aint so I aint.

rudi must stay
19 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Ye, which makes you wonder if his days here are numbered. McLean probably can and Naismith definately does and has already

Nookie Bear
10 minutes ago, JimKongUno said:

Everyone needs help - even experienced players - but do agree with you.

I would prefer to see leaders who 'mentor' by playing well and showing attitudes on the pitch that young players can aspire to.

Sandy Jardine gets mentioned (Quite rightly, as he was tremendous) but he played every week alongside Levein. Jimmy Bone and Sandy Clark also played every week alongside Robbo.

Hughes, McLean and Cowie are all cited as mentors, but none of them are likely to play regularly.