Offers already made to 3 players ( merged )

maroonsgotop

5 hours ago, Barack said:

The Willie sniffers from TH, who haven't a monkey's vagina about talent from outside Scotland, should be going daft about this.

"Wish we'd died," will probably be a staple reply. 

3-4 other "names" incoming. Yet we're focusing on "senile auld Budge", and Levein, the lover of Budge. 

:lol: Children, children.

You got any hints at the other names?

It's a long boring weekend without a game, could do with a bit gossip.lol

Hopefully we get a few players signed up early to get a bit feel good factor again as we close the door on this season and look forward to the next

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Spencer

• JamboAl

• Absolute Scenes

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
5 hours ago, Barack said:

This lad, isn't a huddie. Presidential seal.

:thumbsup:

Good enough for me Mr President. :thumbsup:

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Balders said:

Olly Lee scored one of the best

Wait he didnt, he did......you tube wonder goal video. I'm all in!!

Clerry Jambo

‘Steven MacLean my best signing and ideal foil for Hearts’ Kyle Lafferty’

Barry Anderson
5-6 minutes

Steven MacLean is renowned for his link-up play

Published: 06:30 Saturday 14 April 2018

News of Steven MacLean’s imminent arrival has brought mixed responses from Hearts fans. Steve Lomas, the man who signed him for St Johnstone, is utterly convinced the 35-year-old will be a success.

Former St Johnstone manager Steve Lomas

In fact, Lomas predicted he could form a useful striking partnership with Kyle Lafferty whilst guiding young teenage forwards along the right path.

Hearts want an older head in the striking department next season to help youngsters Aidan Keena, Euan Henderson, Rory Currie and Anthony McDonald develop and learn the correct habits.

Lomas stressed they couldn’t pick a better role model than MacLean, who is out of contract at McDiarmid Park next month. He also expects the veteran to raise a few eyebrows on the pitch by becoming a regular in the Hearts team.

“If I’m being honest, he was my best-ever signing. He was absolutely superb,” the Northern Irishman told the Evening News.

Lomas reckons MacLean would team up nicely alongside Kyle Lafferty

“I think it’s a very clever move from Craig Levein, 100 per cent. It wouldn’t surprise me if he plays 25 games for Hearts next season. Stevie’s game is about more than scoring goals. His all-round link-up play is great. I could see him and Lafferty forming a decent partnership with Laff’s mobility and Steve’s guile.”

Lomas made St Johnstone the tenth club of MacLean’s career in September 2012. The player went on to inscribe his name in Perth folklore by scoring in the club’s 2014 Scottish Cup final win.

By then, Lomas had headed south to Millwall but MacLean had made a lasting impression on the former West Ham United captain. “When I went to Millwall, Steven was very much in my thoughts for bringing in. I thought he could definitely handle it. We just had too many strikers at the time and I couldn’t get rid of them,” explained Lomas.

“At St Johnstone, we had very little budget left and he came in for a pittance. He initially only signed a six-month contract but he said: ‘I’ll win a new deal.’ Straight away I thought: ‘I’m having you.’

“He was brilliant at the start and then he dislocated his elbow away at Dundee. He was back within six weeks from what was a terrible dislocation.

“He formed a really superb partnership with Gregory Tade and was instrumental in how we played. We had lost Cillian Sheridan and Fran Sandaza and were used to playing 4-4-2. We then went 4-2-3-1 and he was at the head of the link-up play.

“Stevie is actually a better player than I thought he was. I remember playing against him when he first joined Sheffield Wednesday and technically he was far better than I thought. He probably should have been playing higher if the truth be told.

“He just has a superb attitude. He’s a winner, a leader and just fantastic to work with. Steven’s guile and know-how made him the perfect foil for Tade, who had a bit of pace. I just can’t speak highly enough of the lad. He was brilliant for me and a model professional.”

The move to Hearts comes eight years after MacLean first went on trial at Riccarton. At the time, although manager Csaba Laszlo was desperate to sign him, the club’s then-owner Vladimir Romanov refused to sanction the move. Now MacLean could get the chance not only to play for the Tynecastle club but to eventually begin his coaching career there.

Hearts’ management structure is set up to give young coaches opportunities and Levein is keen to oversee their development. MacLean is wanted for playing qualities right now but, in time, management may be a natural progression.

“There’s no doubt Stevie will go into coaching and management. He’s got the right attitude for it and it would really suit him,” said Lomas.

Nookie Bear

Olly Lee: good age, played a lot of games so not injured, ambitious hopefully, midfielder. 

Same level Josh Windass came from and he’s not bad. 

Sounds good ?? 

Absolute Scenes

Olly Lee plays as number 8, could be who we've been crying out for in midfield

Does anyone know if he is a box to box player?

That goal though ?

Jambof3tornado
53 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

‘Steven MacLean my best signing and ideal foil for Hearts’ Kyle Lafferty’

Barry Anderson
5-6 minutes

Published: 06:30 Saturday 14 April 2018

News of Steven MacLean’s imminent arrival has brought mixed responses from Hearts fans. Steve Lomas, the man who signed him for St Johnstone, is utterly convinced the 35-year-old will be a success.

In fact, Lomas predicted he could form a useful striking partnership with Kyle Lafferty whilst guiding young teenage forwards along the right path.

Hearts want an older head in the striking department next season to help youngsters Aidan Keena, Euan Henderson, Rory Currie and Anthony McDonald develop and learn the correct habits.

Lomas stressed they couldn’t pick a better role model than MacLean, who is out of contract at McDiarmid Park next month. He also expects the veteran to raise a few eyebrows on the pitch by becoming a regular in the Hearts team.

“If I’m being honest, he was my best-ever signing. He was absolutely superb,” the Northern Irishman told the Evening News.

“I think it’s a very clever move from Craig Levein, 100 per cent. It wouldn’t surprise me if he plays 25 games for Hearts next season. Stevie’s game is about more than scoring goals. His all-round link-up play is great. I could see him and Lafferty forming a decent partnership with Laff’s mobility and Steve’s guile.”

Lomas made St Johnstone the tenth club of MacLean’s career in September 2012. The player went on to inscribe his name in Perth folklore by scoring in the club’s 2014 Scottish Cup final win.

By then, Lomas had headed south to Millwall but MacLean had made a lasting impression on the former West Ham United captain. “When I went to Millwall, Steven was very much in my thoughts for bringing in. I thought he could definitely handle it. We just had too many strikers at the time and I couldn’t get rid of them,” explained Lomas.

“At St Johnstone, we had very little budget left and he came in for a pittance. He initially only signed a six-month contract but he said: ‘I’ll win a new deal.’ Straight away I thought: ‘I’m having you.’

“He was brilliant at the start and then he dislocated his elbow away at Dundee. He was back within six weeks from what was a terrible dislocation.

“He formed a really superb partnership with Gregory Tade and was instrumental in how we played. We had lost Cillian Sheridan and Fran Sandaza and were used to playing 4-4-2. We then went 4-2-3-1 and he was at the head of the link-up play.

“Stevie is actually a better player than I thought he was. I remember playing against him when he first joined Sheffield Wednesday and technically he was far better than I thought. He probably should have been playing higher if the truth be told.

“He just has a superb attitude. He’s a winner, a leader and just fantastic to work with. Steven’s guile and know-how made him the perfect foil for Tade, who had a bit of pace. I just can’t speak highly enough of the lad. He was brilliant for me and a model professional.”

The move to Hearts comes eight years after MacLean first went on trial at Riccarton. At the time, although manager Csaba Laszlo was desperate to sign him, the club’s then-owner Vladimir Romanov refused to sanction the move. Now MacLean could get the chance not only to play for the Tynecastle club but to eventually begin his coaching career there.

Hearts’ management structure is set up to give young coaches opportunities and Levein is keen to oversee their development. MacLean is wanted for playing qualities right now but, in time, management may be a natural progression.

“There’s no doubt Stevie will go into coaching and management. He’s got the right attitude for it and it would really suit him,” said Lomas.

A ringing endorsement if ever I read one.

Finlay James
9 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Olly Lee update. He has already been up for a look round.

Ive just spoken with a mate who is a Luton season ticket holder.  They reckon the fans their would be gutted if he left and that he definitively has the ability to step up.

From what he says, the lad would be a hell of a signing.

Italian Lambretta
20 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Ive just spoken with a mate who is a Luton season ticket holder.  They reckon the fans their would be gutted if he left and that he definitively has the ability to step up.

From what he says, the lad would be a hell of a signing.

I'll give my old pal Tommy Robinson a tinkle to confirm this 

Where’s the Olly Lee rumour came from, is this just the usual kickback pulling names out a hat banter?

Enzo Chiefo
10 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

What a stupid post, Enzo.

Just a bit of light hearted banter JJ, embellishing our mentoring programme. Fwiw, I think this Olly Lee is the type of player we should be looking at. I don't know anything about him but the lower reaches of the English leagues are somewhere I feel we should be targetting players. Club's like Motherwell have been very successful in this market over several years. Our signing of Jon McLaughlin too, was an inspired one.

Finlay James
14 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

I'll give my old pal Tommy Robinson a tinkle to confirm this 

Which one?  The real Tommy Robinson or the EDL lad who changed his name to that of his idol?

i wish jj was my dad
27 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Just a bit of light hearted banter JJ, embellishing our mentoring programme. Fwiw, I think this Olly Lee is the type of player we should be looking at. I don't know anything about him but the lower reaches of the English leagues are somewhere I feel we should be targetting players. Club's like Motherwell have been very successful in this market over several years. Our signing of Jon McLaughlin too, was an inspired one.

That's much better. ?

When you think about the context of signing McLean as a reliable back up option rather than only having youngsters to turn to if our first choice strikers are out then it makes a lot of sense.

I agree with shift in policy where we are now primarily  targetting British players or ar least players with experience of playing in Britain. I don't know anything about Olly Lee but from what i have picked up here thats exactly the type we need.

Bridge of Djoum
10 hours ago, Barack said:

The Willie sniffers from TH, who haven't a monkey's vagina about talent from outside Scotland, should be going daft about this.

"Wish we'd died," will probably be a staple reply. 

3-4 other "names" incoming. Yet we're focusing on "senile auld Budge", and Levein, the lover of Budge. 

:lol: Children, children.

Were you a Lakeland Poet?

Phil Dunphy
25 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

That's much better. ?

When you think about the context of signing McLean as a reliable back up option rather than only having youngsters to turn to if our first choice strikers are out then it makes a lot of sense.

I agree with shift in policy where we are now primarily  targetting British players or ar least players with experience of playing in Britain. I don't know anything about Olly Lee but from what i have picked up here thats exactly the type we need.

I'd much rather have Connor Sammon.

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Email the club.

Tennant's  6's
11 hours ago, tcjambo said:

This is a terrible first signing if confirmed. Unbelievable given previous mistakes. 

decent back up, on, probably, relatively low wages, and as keena curry will be lower still, plenty left over for higher calibre forwards like Naismith,Jamie Mackie, Adam, MacGregor, Fletcher. .

hopefully! ...

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, droid said:

Where’s the Olly Lee rumour came from, is this just the usual kickback pulling names out a hat banter?

Notts1874 said it first a few posts back. His track record is really good.

Bridge of Djoum
3 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I doubt Craig Levein reads emails sent to the club.

Buy your newspapers from the same shop as him then.

Phil Dunphy
9 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

Buy your newspapers from the same shop as him then.

I don't buy newspapers.

Bridge of Djoum

I don't buy newspapers.

Well I'm sure Mr Levein doesn't read KB either so what's the point in moaning here if , (just as you don't buy papers and don't think he reads emails) he won't be listening?

i wish jj was my dad
19 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Good for you. Shame you can't get what you want.

Phil Dunphy
Just now, New York Fleapit said:

Well I'm sure Mr Levein doesn't read KB either so what's the point in moaning here if , (just as you don't buy papers and don't think he reads emails) he won't be listening?

I never said Levein reads Kickback.

I doubt he reads Twitter either but that doesn't stop people from voicing their opinions. If you don't like mine, stick me on ignore :thumbsup:

Phil Dunphy
Just now, i wish jj was my dad said:

Good for you. Shame you can't get what you want.

I'm happy with having somewhat more ambition for the club than someone who's scored 5 goals in 30 games for a club rooted in the bottom six.

If we sign MacLean then so be it, doesn't mean we all need to jump on board the happy bus.

Bridge of Djoum

I never said Levein reads Kickback.

I doubt he reads Twitter either but that doesn't stop people from voicing their opinions. If you don't like mine, stick me on ignore :thumbsup:

No, I respect your opinion, I just don't know what you hope to gain if the only outlet for your seethe is KB. You seem unhappy with various things about the club. With that level of unhappiness I thought you might be doing a bit more than crying here.

How's the compo claim coming along?

John Findlay

I'm happy with having somewhat more ambition for the club than someone who's scored 5 goals in 30 games for a club rooted in the bottom six.

If we sign MacLean then so be it, doesn't mean we all need to jump on board the happy bus.

You wouldn't know a happy bus if it hit you full on. You make Victor Meldrew look the life and soul of the party.

Phil Dunphy

No, I respect your opinion, I just don't know what you hope to gain if the only outlet for your seethe is KB. You seem unhappy with various things about the club. With that level of unhappiness I thought you might be doing a bit more than crying here.

How's the compo claim coming along?

Magic, I've got Injury Lawyers 4U on the case as we speak :thumbsup:

I am unhappy with the club right now, should we only post on Kickback when we want to pat them on the back? Or is anyone who posts something negative just 'crying'?

Just now, John Findlay said:

You wouldn't know a happy bus if it hit you full on. You make Victor Meldrew look the life and soul of the party.

Put me on ignore then John :)

i wish jj was my dad
2 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I'm happy we are pursuing Naismith, Adao and Mitchell. Ditto the other players we've been linked with so far like Mcgregor, Lee and the young Irish laddie. Looks like good business to me and I'm sure there will be other targets.

Enjoy your weekend.

Phil Dunphy

I'm happy we are pursuing Naismith, Adao and Mitchell. Ditto the other players we've been linked with so far like Mcgregor, Lee and the young Irish laddie. Looks like good business to me and I'm sure there will be other targets.

Enjoy your weekend.

I hope you're right. But I'm still holding out hope we get McLaughlin tied down long term.

Bridge of Djoum
7 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

How about pointing out the fact he has been part of a side punching well above their weight for several seasons now?

2015–16[54] Scottish Premiership 33 14 1 0 3 1 2[c] 0 39 15
2016–17[55] Scottish Premiership 32 9 2 1 5 2 39 12
2017–18[56] Scottish Premiership 25 5 0 0 1 0 2[c] 0 28 5

Weighs in with goals and I'm not sure exactly, but I'd wager he has a good few assists when used as a target/hold up striker.

Bridge of Djoum
2 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Magic, I've got Injury Lawyers 4U on the case as we speak :thumbsup:

I am unhappy with the club right now, should we only post on Kickback when we want to pat them on the back? Or is anyone who posts something negative just 'crying'?

Put me on ignore then John :)

I addressed this already. If you are so unhappy, do something about it. Maybe don't turn up for the 19th home game?:huh2:

i wish jj was my dad
4 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I hope you're right. But I'm still holding out hope we get McLaughlin tied down long term.

I would like that too but I wouldn't hold it against him or the club if he elected to follow the silly money down south.  We cant and shouldn't try to compete with that.

Phil Dunphy
4 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

How about pointing out the fact he has been part of a side punching well above their weight for several seasons now?

2015–16[54] Scottish Premiership 33 14 1 0 3 1 2[c] 0 39 15
2016–17[55] Scottish Premiership 32 9 2 1 5 2 39 12
2017–18[56] Scottish Premiership 25 5 0 0 1 0 2[c] 0 28 5

Weighs in with goals and I'm not sure exactly, but I'd wager he has a good few assists when used as a target/hold up striker.

Ok, you can be happy with him signing. Meanwhile, I hold higher ambitions for the club above chucking a last pay day at a player well past his best.

Phil Dunphy

I would like that too but I wouldn't hold it against him or the club if he elected to follow the silly money down south.  We cant and shouldn't try to compete with that.

No, I wouldn't want to break the bank for him either. But I'd be surprised if he would cost us more in wages than Allan McGregor.

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

Ok, you can be happy with him signing. Meanwhile, I hold higher ambitions for the club above chucking a last pay day at a player well past his best.

Yes, I too hold higher ambitions. But, Phil, this guy is not going to be a starter or one of our ''marquee signings''. He is back up, and a solid, proven reliable back up. 

I agree the merits of Sammon should be discussed, but at this point we don't know if he wants to come back to Hearts, if CL wants him, if another club is interested. There are many unknowns involved. I for one am happy we have acted quickly to secure a reliable player. And if we receive a bid for Sammon, would you not sell him?

i wish jj was my dad

No, I wouldn't want to break the bank for him either. But I'd be surprised if he would cost us more in wages than Allan McGregor.

McGregor has made his money andnis by all accounts a jambo who wants to play for us. I think he is much more likely to accept our wage ceiling. That's what I have heard from a guy who knows him. If we can't get Jon and I personally think the boat has sailed, the shagger is next best option.

Phil Dunphy
2 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

Yes, I too hold higher ambitions. But, Phil, this guy is not going to be a starter or one of our ''marquee signings''. He is back up, and a solid, proven reliable back up. 

I agree the merits of Sammon should be discussed, but at this point we don't know if he wants to come back to Hearts, if CL wants him, if another club is interested. There are many unknowns involved. I for one am happy we have acted quickly to secure a reliable player. And if we receive a bid for Sammon, would you not sell him?

I'd sell Sammon sooner than look at him, but I don't see what MacLean would offer that Sammon wouldn't.

1 minute ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

McGregor has made his money andnis by all accounts a jambo who wants to play for us. I think he is much more likely to accept our wage ceiling. That's what I have heard from a guy who knows him. If we can't get Jon and I personally think the boat has sailed, the shagger is next best option.

I suppose time will tell, hopefully we look at a younger keeper as well if Hamilton isn't going to make the grade.

I suppose time will tell, hopefully we look at a younger keeper as well if Hamilton isn't going to make the grade.

I don't think Hamilton is going to make it - will probably follow the same career trajectory as Ridgers. 

Bridge of Djoum

I'd sell Sammon sooner than look at him, but I don't see what MacLean would offer that Sammon wouldn't.

A comparable scoring record. Less wages. An eye on future coaching. There are more, I'm sure.

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, King prawn said:

I don't think Hamilton is going to make it - will probably follow the same career trajectory as Ridgers. 

I think this is the future for Jack, agreed. A decent back-up, but never a starter for Hearts. We have a long line of excellent keepers, he isn't and won't ever be in that bracket. I say that with no pleasure as he seems a good, hard working lad.

i wish jj was my dad

I suspect Sammon doesn't want to be here and I don't blame him. They are also entirely different players. Sammon runs the channels and makes space for others whereas McLean is a target man who holds the ball up and brings others into play. The only thing they have in common is that they are both in their thirties. 

I actually rate Jack and think that he was hung out to dry by central defenders who couldn't head the ball. He looked an entirely different proposition with Berra in front of him. That said, I can't see him being No.1 next season.

davemclaren

I think this is the future for Jack, agreed. A decent back-up, but never a starter for Hearts. We have a long line of excellent keepers, he isn't and won't ever be in that bracket. I say that with no pleasure as he seems a good, hard working lad.

I think Jack has the ability and all goalkeepers make mistakes. However, some keepers seem to be able to get over their mistakes and not let it badly affect them but Jack seems to just turn to jelly after a mistake. 

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

I think Jack has the ability and all goalkeepers make mistakes. However, some keepers seem to be able to get over their mistakes and not let it badly affect them but Jack seems to just turn to jelly after a mistake. 

Confidence does seem an issue with him, Dave. As someone mentioned above he perhaps wasn't helped by a somewhat less than solid defence in front of him last year. Having said that, confidence is vital for keepers. 

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I'd agree with this. 

If he fumbled the first cross or shot in a game everyone knew it was going to be a long 90 minutes. 

Gigolo-Aunt
9 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Forgot all about Hamilton.   I recall the debate when he was given the jersey and the abuse some posters got on here for suggesting it may be too much too soon for him.     Looks like they were right after all.

Edited by Gigolo-Aunt

13 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

According to the gossip this morning, Hull want McGregor to stay and if that’s the case I think he will

I wonder if we will make a move for Marshall instead.

Edited by andrew