Offers already made to 3 players ( merged )

maroonsgotop

stranraer-jambo
3 hours ago, Manny1874 said:

Noticed the following when I googled Maclean. Maybe Levein is looking for him to primarily help develop Keena whilst providing some low cost depth up front. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43552709

"It's great to be back playing alongside someone like Macca. He's helped me for many years now. He's such a good player and is always talking to me.

"During training he's always giving me wee hints about where I should be positioning my body and where I should be taking my touches.

"He's a great guy and is always trying to help me out as much as he can."

This is the reason, without a doubt. 

Squad player with experience of the league, and he can help nurture Keena, Currie, Henderson et al.

Lafferty and Naismith, if we can sign him - and by a lot of accounts it will happen, will be our first choice.

Edited by stranraer-jambo
Spelling

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Spencer

• JamboAl

• Absolute Scenes

6 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

I have watched football at Tynecastle a long time, and his performance last season, the 3-0 game is the best performance I've seen from a player in a long time. He was everywhere, he took the **** out of us, when he's feeling good he is a very tough guy to shift off the ball

I said in an earlier post he played a couple of good games against us and everyone wants to sign him. He might be decent enough if we sign him however it's just speculation at the moment and I hope that's all it turns out to be as I think we can do better.

Can someone please drop another name on here... bored shitless of the Steven MacLean bunfight already.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Yes he like's the bookies too much a bit like his Manager.

Whats wrong with the bookies? Make me a bad person does it?

Just now, Sir Gio said:

Whats wrong with the bookies? Make me a bad person does it?

Never said there was anything wrong with it did I?

57 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Davidson's worth the risk. He has it all as a player, also never far away from the Scotland scene and that's not a bad thing either. He'd be an exciting signing

Do you know who Davidson's agent is? 

I'd personally be surprised......... ? 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Bez said:

Can someone please drop another name on here... bored shitless of the Steven MacLean bunfight already.

Kris Doolan

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, wavydavy said:

Never said there was anything wrong with it did I?

You insinuated Lafferty and Levein couldn't be role models because they like the bookies.

What a great way to excite the fans and sell season tickets, sign a well past it 35 year old striker. Unless he's coming in as a coach/absolutely last resort back up.....then I just don't understand this one at all. 

Jambof3tornado

This chat about him being back up is all well and good but what if we actually have to use him. Lafferty gets a groin strain in the 1st league cup tie of next season and we're stuck with a 36 year old striker that Saints no longer wanted for god knows how many games.

We need a better player to compete with lafferty for his place not somebody whose ambitions have long gone.

Proper competition for places is key or players get used to being 1st pick regardless of how they are performing.

As for bringing him in to mentor youngsters.....Daly and Andy Kirk scored a few in their playing days.

If this was hibs signing maclean we'd be wetting ourselves.

Nowhere near the level we need. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, scotty2442 said:

What a great way to excite the fans and sell season tickets, sign a well past it 35 year old striker. Unless he's coming in as a coach/absolutely last resort back up.....then I just don't understand this one at all. 

You understood perfectly I would say, the boy himself knows his time is up, nice transition for him and a good person to have for the lads

5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

You insinuated Lafferty and Levein couldn't be role models because they like the bookies.

And.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

This chat about him being back up is all well and good but what if we actually have to use him. Lafferty gets a groin strain in the 1st league cup tie of next season and we're stuck with a 36 year old striker that Saints no longer wanted for god knows how many games.

We need a better player to compete with lafferty for his place not somebody whose ambitions have long gone.

Proper competition for places is key or players get used to being 1st pick regardless of how they are performing.

As for bringing him in to mentor youngsters.....Daly and Andy Kirk scored a few in their playing days.

Daly and Kirk have other duties, Robbo was the last person, who specifically looked after strikers

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, wavydavy said:

And.

So they cant be a role model. Bad person, no? Or maybe you can explain your comments

Just now, Sir Gio said:

Daly and Kirk have other duties, Robbo was the last person, who specifically looked after strikers

What about Fox and McPhee?

johnking123
3 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Who said it's the only striker we are after lol

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Is that Hughes or McLean ? :rolleyes:

If it’s a choice between Mark Hughes and Steve McLean its a tough call. 

Edited by soonbe110

heartsfc_fan

My guess is Hearts see this as lower risk than going for a Grzelak (unknown from abroad) or Stockton (lower leagues in England) type signing. Both failed.

He'll have my backing but I have my doubts over it.

Just now, Sir Gio said:

So they cant be a role model. Bad person, no? Or maybe you can explain your comments

If you read back my previous posts I said  what was wrong with Lafferty helping the younger players  in response to the Maclean mentoring.

Then this post was made.

8 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Lafferty is not a role model! But has done well for us. To much lad to be a role model.

I responded to that about the bookies. Doesn't mean that he or anyone who uses a bookie is a bad person.

16 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Do you know who Davidson's agent is? 

I'd personally be surprised......... ? 

I wasnt going to mention that. Will need to change his agent before we will sign him. Very unlikely. 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

I wasnt going to mention that. Will need to change his agent before we will sign him. Very unlikely. 

Not necessarily. 

There is more than one individual involved in the agency. 

Edited by iainmac

6 hours ago, DougieHMFC said:

The desperation to be seen as a better fan than some one else on this forum is so strange.

“You won’t be welcomed” :laugh:

It's strange behaviour who's anyone on here to tell folk they won't be welcomed ???

3 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Not necessarily. 

There is more than one individual involved in the agency. 

Not sure we even talk to the agency these days. Lot of bad feeling. 

If we were to sign Naismith on a high wage and McLean on a low wage I think that would be smart business, if money is a little tight I'd much rather see us spend a fair bit on star players and a pittance on cover, especially with the amount of youngsters knocking on the door at the moment

Clerry Jambo
29 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Totally this

36 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Exactly. Next we will be giving Buaben  a new deal to. That would knock me over the edge lol

51 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Spot on. If this is again the standard of squad player we are looking at we’d be better only signing half the players we are planning to, of a better quality and on higher wages and letting young players (in this instance a striker) have a chance when required. Quality over quantity has to be the mantra or we are destined for the same rancid season again. We need first team starters who improve us not a squad packed full of mediocrity. 

As for this “mentoring” pish there are literally no words for how much of a nonsense that is especially given our need to use every £ wisely ensuring not to repeat previous mistakes. Add in the fact we already have more ‘coaches’ (more like ex pros) involved than we have genuinely quality players  :vrface:

Edited by Hendricks

Phil Dunphy

If we really want someone to mentor the young players that much, there's plenty ****ing coaches out there.

We should be signing players because they'll improve the squad, not as part of some ****ing Big Brother initiative.

I'm sort of non-whelmed on this tbh.   Seeing as it hasn't happened and may never happen.     A sort of pre-whelm limbo I find myself in.    Wetters are in the perversely fortunate position of whelm certainty.    

Phil Dunphy
1 minute ago, ramrod said:

For  god sake 

5 goals in 30 games.

We'e going from players with Premiership pedigree to a guy who's good for one goal every 6 games.

For weeks or even months now we have had little on the bench that come on and make an impact. Could have done with him in January 

This is happening 

Jambof3tornado

I'm still hoping his agent is using us to get him a new deal in perth.

I know we might sign another striker but I'd rather youngsters got a chance that have us looking at a soon to be 36 year old. There is a reason saints havent given him a new deal.

Great entertainment. Good to read decent level of positivity. Seems that's winning just now. Which is good.

MacLean may be being targeted as more of a future coach. Guys like Levein and Daly will know him well. I do know he is very highly rated by Tommy Wright as a player and as a person. That's the Tommy Wright a lot of people prefer to Craig Levein. 

So he comes in, is back up and helps the youngsters. But people complaining about too many coaches should realise you don't want a coach to be seriously working with too many players. There isn't enough time. Then there is all the other age groups. Maybe he'll take the U14s for example. 

See what happens. 

IveSeenTheLight

Any more movement on McGregor joining you guys.

Goalkeeper is a very important position in the team and I'm guessing should be your top priority.

Jambof3tornado
56 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Who said it's the only striker we are after lol

Nobody. So we bring in another to challenge lafferty, makes signing a 36 year old even stranger.

Remember this isnt a keeper or centre half or at a push holding midfielder. Its a striker!!!! And not even a very good one.

Wont be many 36 year old strikers pushing for starts in the top flight.

fabienleclerq

I can't get my head round this one tbh, maybe its to help the like of Keena which is the only positive I can think off. 

Not  an inspiring signing tbh.

1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Nobody. So we bring in another to challenge lafferty, makes signing a 36 year old even stranger.

Remember this isnt a keeper or centre half or at a push holding midfielder. Its a striker!!!! And not even a very good one.

Wont be many 36 year old strikers pushing for starts in the top flight.

Outside of Kenny Miller you are correct.

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, Spencer said:

For weeks or even months now we have had little on the bench that come on and make an impact. Could have done with him in January 

This is happening 

I was thnking earlier that we would have been relatively happy to have him as cover after the jan window when we had very little. 

IveSeenTheLight
2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Outside of Kenny Miller you are correct.

There was a report saying he was ready to leave SevCo to continue playing.

Was there also a rumour he could go to you guys.

I recall someone saying he would be the first player to play for both main teams in Glasgow and Edinburgh

stranraer-jambo
7 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Any more movement on McGregor joining you guys.

Goalkeeper is a very important position in the team and I'm guessing should be your top priority.

Every position is important. 

Your post suggests we should drop everything until we sign a GK!

Lots of kettles on the go here at the moment,  some close to boiling, some luke warm and a few getting filled up.

How are you guys doing with recruitment? 

Just now, stranraer-jambo said:

Lots of kettles on the go here at the moment,  some close to boiling, some luke warm and a few getting filled up.

Yeah 

Luxury of having Lewis and Woodman gives that sort of arrogance 

IveSeenTheLight
2 minutes ago, stranraer-jambo said:

No not at all drop everything, but I think it has to be your no 1 priority (no pun intended).

Having went through years of sh!te goalkeepers at Pittodrie, it is a very important position to fill and can breed confidence from the back.

Our recruitment has not really kicked off in earnest yet, not even any decent rumours.

We did sign Sam Cosgrove (not sure he'll make it) and Mickey Devlin in January as pro-active options for next season.

stranraer-jambo
22 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Great entertainment. Good to read decent level of positivity. Seems that's winning just now. Which is good.

MacLean may be being targeted as more of a future coach. Guys like Levein and Daly will know him well. I do know he is very highly rated by Tommy Wright as a player and as a person. That's the Tommy Wright a lot of people prefer to Craig Levein. 

So he comes in, is back up and helps the youngsters. But people complaining about too many coaches should realise you don't want a coach to be seriously working with too many players. There isn't enough time. Then there is all the other age groups. Maybe he'll take the U14s for example. 

See what happens. 

Said much the same earlier. 

Every player signed will have different qualities and the Club will have a plan how to utilise these.

Edited by stranraer-jambo
Spelling