Offers already made to 3 players ( merged )

maroonsgotop

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Spencer

• JamboAl

• Bridge of Djoum

sairyinthat
2 hours ago, kimosavi said:

No chance on Mclean

Levein knows he is on a shaky peg this is make or break for him this summer

With the fans at least 

If Mclean is the type of player we are looking at after 3 years of brutal recruitment i wont renew either. I work hard for my money and want to enjoy my Saturdays out 

My money will  go to Big Hearts instead and i'll go shopping with the wife on Saturdays 

Do you seriously think Craig is looking at a coat peg when he offers terms to any player he considers a good fit for his team? He has I'm sure more self belief than than that.

Escobar PHM
11 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

So what do we do about back up? The only reason Berra is playing still is cause there is no one else, his ankle is in bits. We need a squad of players, not just a first 11.

If you have a squad of 22 and half a dozen of them have been signed merely as 'back up' i.e they wouldn't be first choice, you've actually got a squad of 16 who are realstic first team picks. I hate the term 'back up' or 'squad player' It generally means they aren't good enough.

What we need is 6 defenders, 6 midfielders and 4 strikers and you can look at every single one of them and say. He's a first team player that can be picked and he'll do a great job. Instead we're looking at some players some weeks and we're saying, 'yeh I suppose it will have to be XXXX that steps in' If you're doing that and thinking that, you've got a weak squad overall.

Edited by Escobar PHM

Absolute Scenes
5 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

He isn't.

I meant one of, he's one of the most capped British players of all time

that isn't something to just throw away

You have to agree that he has been solid and is good to have at Hearts

Escobar PHM
2 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

I meant one of, he's one of the most capped British players of all time

that isn't something to just throw away

You have to agree that he has been solid and is good to have at Hearts

What he has done in the past is not relevant. What we are going to get out of him, other than a bit of mentoring is the crux of the matter. Your giving one of 11 jerseys to him. He's got to be worth picking in his own right.

Edited by Escobar PHM

rudi must stay
6 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Are you holding up Michael Stewart and Jamie Hamill as examples of he kind of experienced players we need on the pitch?

Apologies if I have misunderstood!

I'm saying the opposite

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Escobar PHM said:

What he has done in the past is not relevant. What we are going to get out of him, other than a bit of mentoring is the crux of the matter. Your giving one of 11 jerseys to him. He's got to be worth picking in his own right.

He is, and he's proven it.

23 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Rubbish. I want Levein to be a success but he's digging a hole for himself with Hughes and now this story about Mclean.

You were disturbed by the Hughes chat.  You must be apoplectic about this rumour.  You should email the club before it's too late.

GorgieRules22

If Steven McLean was 30 I wouldn’t be amused at signing him never mind going on 36.

Lets hope it’s not true or we’re off to a bad start in recruiting players.

Unknown user
34 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

As is your right if your within the rules. I'll also reserve the right to decide my input without being called a clown, if you don't mind.

Nice one Escobobo

rudi must stay
14 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

No objection to having experienced players in the team who can lead and contribute. However if  the prime reason for them getting a game, becomes to talk another player(s) through a game and they're not contributing a whole lot in their own right apart from that, its an empty jersey and a wasted wage.

Ye agree with this, too many of these and you get a passive team. We have that at the moment IMO due to our midfield and attack not quite being the quality required

Ron Burgundy

Maybe we are going down the route of providing every academy prospect with a past it pro to mentor them?

I don't believe the McLean rumour at all. He's finished and was never that great even at his peak. Decent SPL standard 5 years ago.

3 minutes ago, GorgieRules22 said:

If Steven McLean was 30 I wouldn’t be amused at signing him never mind going on 36.

Lets hope it’s not true or we’re off to a bad start in recruiting players.

He is around 1 goal in 3 at St Johnstone over last 6 years. Absolutely tried and tested in this league and has generally played in a side who have secured top 6 with regularity 

I really don't get the anxiety on this tbh. Good squad option and evidently fit given his longevity at this level 

Certainly a better option than likes of Stockton.  Sammon won't play for Hearts again and will be on far better money than MacLean will command 

If it's just for a year it makes sense. Other areas of the squad required attention simultaneously and there will be a finite amount of resources 

Sparingly used I believe he could make a contribution 

19 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

I take it you just want 16 players and that’s it? No back up cause of suspensions/injuries? You really are clueless it’s laughable ?

Who said 16 players STOP making things up.

Just now, Ron Burgundy said:

Maybe we are going down the route of providing every academy prospect with a past it pro to mentor them?

I don't believe the McLean rumour at all. He's finished and was never that great even at his peak. Decent SPL standard 5 years ago.

So do we dismiss almost 50 goals at SPL level in last 6 years? 

Bridge of Djoum
2 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Ye agree with this, too many of these and you get a passive team. We have that at the moment IMO due to our midfield and attack not quite being the quality required

You seriously don't think Mr Levein, one of the finest defenders our country has produced, and a PHM would pick a defender whom he didn't think could do more than just mentor young players?

Aaron Hughes is, and has proven, that he is more than capable of playing at this level. To think otherwise is ludicrous. 

Ron Burgundy
Just now, Spencer said:

So do we dismiss almost 50 goals at SPL level in last 6 years? 

Pele scored over a thousand career goals, do we go for him.

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Spencer said:

He is around 1 goal in 3 at St Johnstone over last 6 years. Absolutely tried and tested in this league and has generally played in a side who have secured top 6 with regularity 

I really don't get the anxiety on this tbh. Good squad option and evidently fit given his longevity at this level 

Certainly a better option than likes of Stockton.  Sammon won't play for Hearts again and will be on far better money than MacLean will command 

If it's just for a year it makes sense. Other areas of the squad required attention simultaneously and there will be a finite amount of resources 

Sparingly used I believe he could make a contribution 

Loving positive Spencer.

13 minutes ago, Haken said:

You were disturbed by the Hughes chat.  You must be apoplectic about this rumour.  You should email the club before it's too late.

And who should i email. 

Saints fan at work seems to think it's common knowledge we are after Murray Davidson but nothing on MacLean. 

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, Ron Burgundy said:

Pele scored over a thousand career goals, do we go for him.

:cornette:

What an utterly childish and worthless comment. Ironic that you attempted to pull someone up earlier for not expressing opinion or debate.

Ron Burgundy

Thanks, your opinion is noted.

The point being that whatever someone has done in the past is irrelevant ,it's what he can bring in the future.

I don't think he will bring anything worthwhile.

Now off you pop.

2 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

You seriously don't think Mr Levein, one of the finest defenders our country has produced, and a PHM would pick a defender whom he didn't think could do more than just mentor young players?

Aaron Hughes is, and has proven, that he is more than capable of playing at this level. To think otherwise is ludicrous. 

It's ludicrous that Levein says "if he wants to sign a new contract he can have one". Hughes is too slow, his passing is getting worse and he's no good in the air plus he doesn't tackle.

Loving positive Spencer.

If we can do deals for our mains transfer targets and this type of deal can be done then I can see merit in it. Not going to cost the earth. Realistically we are not likely to be able to sign someone this summer with ability to push Laff down pecking order. If we can get Naismith signed and others then this type of shorter term option seems sensible to me 

I believe there is substance in our reported jnterest 

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, mitch41 said:

It's ludicrous that Levein says "if he wants to sign a new contract he can have one". Hughes is too slow, his passing is getting worse and he's no good in the air plus he doesn't tackle.

FFS.

I'm done with you. 

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

As a centre back I think most on here could play in this league, but his big game experience makes him a good addition for as long as he wants to keep playing

1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

The point being that whatever someone has done in the past is irrelevant ,it's what he can bring in the future.

Now off you pop.

Not sure I see the comparison with a man in his late 70's and a guy who has operated at top 6 SPL level for the last 6 years 

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Spencer said:

If we can do deals for our mains transfer targets and this type of deal can be done then I can see merit in it. Not going to cost the earth. Realistically we are not likely to be able to sign someone this summer with ability to push Laff down pecking order. If we can get Naismith signed and others then this type of shorter term option seems sensible to me 

I believe there is substance in our reported jnterest 

Hey, man. I'm with you. Whether it has substance or not I like the reasoning.

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, rudi must stay said:

As a centre back I think most on here could play in this league, but his big game experience makes him a good addition for as long as he wants to keep playing

No, no they couldn't.

2 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

But despite the grudging praise he has played 20 times this season for a side with 2nd best defensive record?

I have been critical about a number of things but I don't think lambasting Hughes or rubbishing notion of Maclean are areas where I feel criticism is merited 

rudi must stay
Just now, New York Fleapit said:

No, no they couldn't.

What I was saying is it ain't tough to play in this league. Whether what I said there was an exaggeration doesn't matter

Hey, man. I'm with you. Whether it has substance or not I like the reasoning.

Got to be better than taking a punt on likes of Stockton and cutting him loose after 6 months. 

Guys like Hughes and MacLean - you know what you are getting. This type of signing to augment the main additions required makes sense. Well it does to me anyway 

Maybe I'm wrong. Couldn't criticise this approach if it's indeed what Levein has in mind 

9 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Now off you pop.

Fleapit will be quite happy for us to sign this guy seeing as it won’t really impact on his viewing pleasure from his piss stained armchair in New York.

unfortunately is fans that actually go along to the games and sit through it in the freezing cold will need to put up with the dross.

its always easier to not be as critical or upset when it’s costing you F all.

Just now, Robbo51 said:

Literally just seen Maclean in tescos and i asked him if he was signing and he said no hes happy at saints

Thank **** for that

GorgieRules22

Sick of hearing that he’ll be used sparingly and make a contribution ... not what we need I’m afraid.

We need players to improve our starting11 and this kind of signing doesn’t do this.

All very underwhelming if true.

Ron Burgundy
3 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Fleapit will be quite happy for us to sign this guy seeing as it won’t really impact on his viewing pleasure from his piss stained armchair in New York.

unfortunately is fans that actually go along to the games and sit through it in the freezing cold will need to put up with the dross.

its always easier to not be as critical or upset when it’s costing you F all.

Correct but even overseas fans are entitled to their opinion. It's just when you try to come across as a smart arse like he does when he isn't in attendance at some of the shite we have had to watch, it just sort of make you dismiss everything he says.

Absolute Scenes
38 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

But there are more than 11 jerseys in a team!!!!

He is with us because he provides options as an experienced professional!

Berra goes off injured, when we are 1-0 up in the derby - you bring on Daniel Baur do you??

Escobar PHM
4 minutes ago, Barack said:

What did he buy?

Nothing. He had a teenage boy with him. Showed him how to stack his trolley and avoiding hitting the shelves. Had an animated chat about when you can go for self check out and when you have to queue at the conventional conveyor belt till. Got the laddie a loyalty card.Patted him on the back on the way out the shop. Great guy to have around the supermarket with you. He's been shopping at Tesco successfully for 6 years. That kind of experience is just what a young shopper needs.

Escobar PHM
5 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Berra goes off injured, when we are 1-0 up in the derby - you bring on Daniel Baur do you??

No I bring on my 3rd centre half who's been pushing hard for a place and is very unlucky not to have had a run in the team. I can trust him. He's very good. When Berra retires, he's first pick.

Edited by Escobar PHM

Ron Burgundy
2 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Nothing. He had a teenage boy with him. Showed him how to stack his trolley and avoiding hitting the shelves. Had an animated chat about when you can go for self check out and when you have to queue at the conventional conveyor belt till. Got the laddie a loyalty card.Patted him on the back on the way out the shop. Great guy to have around the supermarket with you. He's been shopping at Tesco successfully for 6 years. That kind of experience is just what a young shopper needs.

Morrisons and ASDA will be sniffing about.

Escobar PHM
1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Morrisons and ASDA will be sniffing about.

He's co-op level, no better these days

Absolute Scenes
2 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

No I bring on my 3rd centre half who's been pushing hard for a place and is very unlucky not to have had a run in the team. I can trust him. He's very good. When Berra retires, he's first pick.

But that centre back wants to leave hearts because he isn't getting enough game time and because of his lack of game time his motivation in training has diminished, and is not trying hard enough. Then once he leaves and signs for a rival team, fans get on the managers back and blame him for buying him when he didn't get played.

Whereas, I bring on my older, experienced centre half who has had a long and very successful club and country career, amassing more than 600 appearances, but is still fit enough to play regularly. I trust him because he is experienced, and is confident and the youngsters learn so much from him and even claim it in news articles.