Offers already made to 3 players ( merged )

maroonsgotop

It's all made up bollox.

underwhelmed will be the most used word on here this summer.

Edited by jambopilms

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Spencer

• JamboAl

• Absolute Scenes

rudi must stay
Just now, wavydavy said:

I think I would rather have Steven MacLean, he's quicker than Davidson. He plays about two decent games against us and everybody wants to sign him.

I seriously hope we are not after him. We desperately need some pace in the team and he will not provide it.

Davidson's worth the risk. He has it all as a player, also never far away from the Scotland scene and that's not a bad thing either. He'd be an exciting signing

HeartofHartley
49 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

In the SPL league, what defines a successful player? More to the point, you haven't really bothered to look at MacLeans scoring record over the past few seasons. He has averaged at 9 goals a season, which is around 1 in 4, which is pretty good scoring record for any player.

Steven MacLean has played a lot of games for St johnstone, even played in Europa league, knows the SPL well.

Of course he would play games, but we are killing 2 birds with one stone. Having someone who can play and also help coach.

its a brilliant idea

We have 6 first team coaches including CL. How many more do you want? You're over complicating it by having more and more coaches. 

He's 35 scored 5 goals in 30 games. Averaging 9 a season for a team like Hearts is not good enough... remember people want 17 goal Lafferty away and now all of a sudden this guy fits the bill? 

It's a shocking idea and a waste of limited resources. 

6 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Davidson's worth the risk. He has it all as a player, also never far away from the Scotland scene and that's not a bad thing either. He'd be an exciting signing

He might be exciting to you but if this is genuinely the type of player that Levein is looking to sign then I am totally underwhelmed and disappointed.

At this stage it is just a rumuor and I hope it stays that way.

5 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

We have 6 first team coaches including CL. How many more do you want? You're over complicating it by having more and more coaches. 

He's 35 scored 5 goals in 30 games. Averaging 9 a season for a team like Hearts is not good enough... remember people want 17 goal Lafferty away and now all of a sudden this guy fits the bill? 

The guy is not even a regular starter for St Johnstone nowadays so has even less chance of playing for us.

So is Levein saying that Lafferty can't pass any tips on to the youngsters or is he maybe getting punted in the summer as per the previous rumuor?

I have no problem with this, Levein is obviously using the Alex McDonald template from the 80s that tutored successfully the careers of John Robertson, Gary Mackay David Bowman and Craig Levein himself.

For Christophe Berra, Aaron Hughes, Don Cowie, Steven Naismith and possibly Steven McLean, read Alex Macdonald , Sandy Jardine, Willie Johnstone Donald Park and Jimmy Bone, every one a fantastic professional who had a huge bearing on the careers of that wonderful group of Hearts players.

1 minute ago, jbee647 said:

I have no problem with this, Levein is obviously using the Alex McDonald template from the 80s that tutored successfully the careers of John Robertson, Gary Mackay David Bowman and Craig Levein himself.

For Christophe Berra, Aaron Hughes, Don Cowie, Steven Naismith and possibly Steven McLean, read Alex Macdonald , Sandy Jardine, Willie Johnstone Donald Park and Jimmy Bone, every one a fantastic professional who had a huge bearing on the careers of that wonderful group of Hearts players.

:spoton:

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Is the  answer a manager that knows what he's doing.

Looked that way on Saturday

Finlay James
6 hours ago, peebles jambo said:

I see Stevie quite regularly , i'll ask him, big hibby though

He was as a lad but signing for Rangers changed all that.  His old man is Hibs through and through though.

Steven would be a better signing that folk think.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Anyone who thinks he is here to play 30 games, is a bit daft. Model pro who will provide back up on a low wage and add value to training. What goes into 90 minutes on a Saturday is way more than the 90 minutes.

Knows the league, intelligent player, coming to the end of his career, will be a cheap bit part for the first team and another excellent addition to the changing room and mentality.

Welcome Steven.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
34 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

People losing the plot because we are after an experienced squad player that will hardly play lol

We won last week, so this week we have vented our fury at Lego, fixtures and now a low cost back up option. I would love to see these people with something genuinely worth being angry about

Edited by Sir Gio

rudi must stay
18 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

He might be exciting to you but if this is genuinely the type of player that Levein is looking to sign then I am totally underwhelmed and disappointed.

At this stage it is just a rumuor and I hope it stays that way.

Hibs took a gamble on McGinn, McGeogh and they've come good. May not work but they may and there's no doubting their talent, and he's on a free. Would be delighted to acquire him, I bet he'd stroll some games at Tynecastle

Absolute Scenes
22 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

I think you have pretty much ignored every valid point I've made

Steven MacLean is not coming to fight for a place with Lafferty. Maclean is coming as a backup striker, because we need someone who is happy to sit on the bench and come on when needed

as well as this, he will help as a mentor for younger players, because in case you'd missed this as well, Hearts are a club that promotes from within and focuses a lot on building up our younger players. We have one of the best youth systems in Scotland. why? because aside from football we have brilliant coaches who spend time coaching players.

If Steven MacLean signs for us, I guarantee you it wont be the bar set for the standard of player. He is one of a many new faces, and is only here to fill in where needed.

9 goals a season for an SPL striker is above average.

Absolute Scenes
34 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

Whilst it's not the worst news in the world it is quite underwhelming.

We seem to have quite a few 'coaches' around already and with talk of Cowie and Hughes to join you wonder what they're all going to do. I get the experienced player helping the youngster philosophy however do we really need another striker to share advice when we have both Kirk and Daly, who have played at that level?

Also feel that if they were going to go down this road they could have looked to hold back the announcement until we've made a few other signings. The fans are more riled up than usual so to announce McLean as our first signing seems to be a strange move...

"announced" :facepalm:

Who in Hearts announced Steven MacLean as our first signing?

1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

Hibs took a gamble on McGinn, McGeogh and they've come good. May not work but they may and there's no doubting their talent, and he's on a free. Would be delighted to acquire him, I bet he'd stroll some games at Tynecastle

McGinn and McGeogh are much better players than Davidson will ever be. He is 30 now much older than the two Hibs players and not got any pace.

He may be a squad player but I really would hope we sert our sights a bit higher than this.

Absolute Scenes
20 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

The guy is not even a regular starter for St Johnstone nowadays so has even less chance of playing for us.

So is Levein saying that Lafferty can't pass any tips on to the youngsters or is he maybe getting punted in the summer as per the previous rumuor?

Hardly, come on use your brain

He is saying that as Lafferty is our main striker, how will he have the time to mentor younger folk?

Guys like Hughes, don't feature as much and will probably not be doing as many training sessions.

Likewise, MacLean is not stepping on Lafferty's toes by coming in to help mentor younger players. He has more experience than Lafferty therefore what's the issue?

Enzo Chiefo
36 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

People losing the plot because we are after an experienced squad player that will hardly play lol

Perhaps they're concerned that it's a waste of money when, so we are told anyway, money is tight. A cry for ST money early doesnt appear to sit well with bringing in an "experienced squad player that will hardly play" LOL. As it happens, I'm sick of hearing about the need for mentors and coaches. Players are over-coached nowadays which is why academies produce ident-kit players that don't know how to play off the cuff. Give them the freedom to play without following the restrictive instructions of managers or coaches.

johnking123

All for getting cover for striking position. If he helps our youth. Even better! I'm more interested in what players we get in for midfield. This is the position that needs attention and most of our cash on.

Mclean would be very underwhelming but lets not pretend Lafferty is injury prone. If signing Mclean could save some money up front and allow more to be invested in midfield, I don't really have an issue with it.

Not every window allows managers to get their ideal choice, Mclean offers a bit of competition for Lafferty and someone who can close out games without needing to change how we're playing. Not likely to win cups with him leading the line but could do enough to keep Laff on his game. 

Robbo-Jambo

36 on his next birthday.

No thanks

If that what we are looking at god help next season.

2 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Wants to start coaching as well. Seems we can offer him that unlike Saints 

I thought we were already going down that route with Hughes, Cowie & possibly Naismith?How many coaches do we need compared to creative midfielders for example? 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, big man said:

The youth policy is going from strength to strength 

I'll bite. See you just can please everyone. Some saying we won at the weekend because we abandoned youth.

If he starts 10 games I'd be very shocked

I'm sure he was a Hearts supporter in his youth so should be another good guy who cares on board. A bit of a poacher too so something that we need

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, iainmac said:

I thought we were already going down that route with Hughes, Cowie & possibly Naismith?How many coaches do we need compared to creative midfielders for example? 

We don't know who is staying yet

Edited by Sir Gio

johnking123

Lol. Will do as a bit cover for a year or two. Our you strikers are not ready yet. But in a year or two. They will be ready.

2 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Hardly, come on use your brain

He is saying that as Lafferty is our main striker, how will he have the time to mentor younger folk?

Guys like Hughes, don't feature as much and will probably not be doing as many training sessions.

Likewise, MacLean is not stepping on Lafferty's toes by coming in to help mentor younger players. He has more experience than Lafferty therefore what's the issue?

Have you watched Naismith during a game helping the younger players on the pitch? Don't see why Lafferty can't do that as well.

It's not just about on the pitch though it's when they are training etc. The issue for me is that we have enough older players already and plenty of coaches to bring the young players on.

We should be concentrating on getting in players that are going to be starting most games. We may well be doing that of course and it has just not been made public. I am just expressing my views that's all just like you.

Enzo Chiefo
23 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised Davy, given the previous rumours. Reading about the late John Lambie signing players of dubious character because they tended to be winners contrasts with our apparent desire for squeaky clean mentored perfectionists. If the club don"t make every effort to retain Milinkovic and Lafferty in the summer,  because they don't fit in with AB and CLs "code of behaviour" it will be a disgrace. Jumping the gun I know, but im sure others are thinking the same.

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

Have you watched Naismith during a game helping the younger players on the pitch? Don't see why Lafferty can't do that as well.

It's not just about on the pitch though it's when they are training etc. The issue for me is that we have enough older players already and plenty of coaches to bring the young players on.

We should be concentrating on getting in players that are going to be starting most games. We may well be doing that of course and it has just not been made public. I am just expressing my views that's all just like you.

yes I agree regarding players who we need to be in the first team...BUT the season isn't over and the window isn't open. Therefore no players can be borught in until this happens

You and I have no idea that Levein could have already got these players lined up, ready to sign as soon as we are allowed to do so.

Its knee jerk reactions like what has happened on here today that make this place utterly dreadful to be in.

Hearts signing Steven MacLean should not affect anyones lives, but several on here are in a very questionable state regarding this. Its quite scary to watch

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised Davy, given the previous rumours. Reading about the late John Lambie signing players of dubious character because they tended to be winners contrasts with our apparent desire for squeaky clean mentored perfectionists. If the club don"t make every effort to retain Milinkovic and Lafferty in the summer,  because they don't fit in with AB and CLs "code of behaviour" it will be a disgrace. Jumping the gun I know, but im sure others are thinking the same.

Be prepared for more shouting down Enzo just like me.

rudi must stay
7 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

McGinn and McGeogh are much better players than Davidson will ever be. He is 30 now much older than the two Hibs players and not got any pace.

He may be a squad player but I really would hope we sert our sights a bit higher than this.

I have watched football at Tynecastle a long time, and his performance last season, the 3-0 game is the best performance I've seen from a player in a long time. He was everywhere, he took the **** out of us, when he's feeling good he is a very tough guy to shift off the ball

2 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Correct but even overseas fans are entitled to their opinion. It's just when you try to come across as a smart arse like he does when he isn't in attendance at some of the shite we have had to watch, it just sort of make you dismiss everything he says.

I dismiss pretty much everything he says!! Slavering toilet.

3 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

"announced" :facepalm:

Who in Hearts announced Steven MacLean as our first signing?

:laugh:  are we just ignoring everything else that i said then?!

If this was just some rumour on twitter or facebook i wouldn't have used the word 'announced' however as nearly every journalist out there seems to think he's signing it seems like a matter of time. If you want to use that as a reason to ignore what else i've said go ahead but i just struggle to understand why this is such a good thing - maybe you can enlighten me?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, iainmac said:

It would appear CL does, otherwise why bother with this guy? 

I'm sure CL will.

MacLean is an intelligent person and striker. I would have thought Daly might have been involved coaching strikers, I see this more of a Paul Gallacher style signing, emergencies only, pretty sure Liam Fox was on one as well. Robbo used to coach the strikers but nobody since?

Ah, the old ‘leak the less glamorous names first, before bringing in the big guns’ routine, eh? :unsure:

:D

sairyinthat
1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

Levein is quoted as saying he wants Mclean as a mentor for our young strikers. Doesn't say much for Laff or Daly.

Mixer. End off

1 minute ago, Absolute Scenes said:

yes I agree regarding players who we need to be in the first team...BUT the season isn't over and the window isn't open. Therefore no players can be borught in until this happens

You and I have no idea that Levein could have already got these players lined up, ready to sign as soon as we are allowed to do so.

Its knee jerk reactions like what has happened on here today that make this place utterly dreadful to be in.

Hearts signing Steven MacLean should not affect anyones lives, but several on here are in a very questionable state regarding this. Its quite scary to watch

If it upsets you so much then don't participate. It's only people airing their opinions on news about potential signings.

I would prefer that we don't sign Maclean and Davidson and think we should be aiming a bit higher than those but if Craig Levein signs one or both then I will give those players my support and hope they do well in however many ganes they play.

That is not a knee jerk reaction and I don's see how it is affecting anyone's life.

2 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Lafferty is not a role model! But has done well for us. To much lad to be a role model.

Yes he like's the bookies too much a bit like his Manager.