Offers already made to 3 players ( merged )

maroonsgotop

Absolute Scenes
4 minutes ago, JimKongUno said:

If that doesn't answer some of the moon howlers questions on here I don't know what will

Signing as a view to coaching and mentoring younger strikers, but as a back up striker

Simple. end of. Move on

Edited by Absolute Scenes

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Spencer

• JamboAl

• Absolute Scenes

Escobar PHM
18 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

But that centre back wants to leave hearts because he isn't getting enough game time and because of his lack of game time his motivation in training has diminished, and is not trying hard enough. Then once he leaves and signs for a rival team, fans get on the managers back and blame him for buying him when he didn't get played.

Whereas, I bring on my older, experienced centre half who has had a long and very successful club and country career, amassing more than 600 appearances, but is still fit enough to play regularly. I trust him because he is experienced, and is confident and the youngsters learn so much from him and even claim it in news articles.

I can play my centre half if Berra or Souttar is out for 5 or 6 weeks. Ive told him when he signs that he'll get a chance if he works hard because he's a good player but Berra and Souttar are the standard and the men he has to get past. If he wants to leave Hearts, Ive misjudged him and he can go. I can't stop him making that call.

I can play my older experienced centre half for 5-6 weeks running..........Oh wait........I can't....He can only manage half a game a fortnight.

Edited by Escobar PHM

rudi must stay
1 minute ago, Absolute Scenes said:

If that doesn't answer some of the moon howlers questions on here I don't know what will

Signing as a view to coaching and mentoring younger strikers, but as a back up striker

Simple. end of. Move on

McDonald isn't a striker either. Anderson throws in comments like that all the time (totally inaccurate), he is most definately a winger

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, HeartofHartley said:

Steven Maclean..... is that some sort of a sick joke by us?? FFS HEARTS.

Have you read the article?

34 minutes ago, Robbo51 said:

Literally just seen Maclean in tescos and i asked him if he was signing and he said no hes happy at saints

One "in the know" I sincerely hope is right. Maybe we are relaying the pitch to extend the careers of the likes of Maclean? Maybe the pitch cost is lowering our shopping trip from Poundland to the penny arcade?

Absolute Scenes
3 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

I can play my centre half if Berra or Souttar is out for 5 or 6 weeks. Ive told him when he signs that he'll get a chance if he works hard because he's a good player but Berra and Souttar are the standard and the men he has to get past. If he wants to leave Hearts, Ive misjudged him and he can go. I can't stop him making that call.

I can play my older experienced centre half for 5-6 weeks running..........Oh wait........I can't....He can only manage half a game a fortnight.

Sounds like you should have signed the older experienced player I signed

Enzo Chiefo
2 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Another coach??  Can the coaches at Riccarton not coach the strikers or at least coach the coaches who are going to coach the youngsters.? What exactly is McLean going to teach the strikers that the experienced over 30s like Lafferty, Naismith, Cowie and Hughes can't?? Well I suppose we're flush with cash anyway so we can just look at his salary as a way of reducing our tax liability. 

HeartofHartley
1 minute ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Have you read the article?

Yes I have. To think it's purely a coaching role is ridiculous - he would play games. To have a striker as a coach who is not prolific nor been a success even more so. 

Escobar PHM
4 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Sounds like you should have signed the older experienced player I signed

So we've got a decent youngish centre half prospect who we've judged is ready or there or thereabouts and we've got Aaron Hughes who's biggest remaining asset is his experience, and you'd take Hughes as a signing ? If Hughes was a free agent coming out of another club this summer, would you sign him ?

Edited by Escobar PHM

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Another coach??  Can the coaches at Riccarton not coach the strikers or at least coach the coaches who are going to coach the youngsters.? What exactly is McLean going to teach the strikers that the experienced over 30s like Lafferty, Naismith, Cowie and Hughes can't?? Well I suppose we're flush with cash anyway so we can just look at his salary as a way of reducing our tax liability. 

Not to mention Daly and our current under 20's coach. Generally see where Levein is going but times like this are nearly on a par with Cathro...................no, that's not really fair!

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

well for starters, Lafferty, Naismith and Cowie have to focus on theirown game as they are some of our main players, as do the other starting 11 players. Players like Hughes, who aren't in the starting team more often, can focus on balancing their time between keeping fit and mentoring.

Likewise, MacLean will come in as a back up striker, someone who is proven in the SPL, who can also mentor younger strikers as he knows he will be on the bench most weeks.

I don't know why people are so angry at this. Levein has clearly said that he knows the areas we need to strengthen, so signing a backup striker shouldn't affect any of this.

Absolute Scenes
3 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

Yes I have. To think it's purely a coaching role is ridiculous - he would play games. To have a striker as a coach who is not prolific nor been a success even more so. 

In the SPL league, what defines a successful player? More to the point, you haven't really bothered to look at MacLeans scoring record over the past few seasons. He has averaged at 9 goals a season, which is around 1 in 4, which is pretty good scoring record for any player.

Steven MacLean has played a lot of games for St johnstone, even played in Europa league, knows the SPL well.

Of course he would play games, but we are killing 2 birds with one stone. Having someone who can play and also help coach.

its a brilliant idea

Fitzroy Pointon
Just now, Absolute Scenes said:

In the SPL league, what defines a successful player? More to the point, you haven't really bothered to look at MacLeans scoring record over the past few seasons. He has averaged at 9 goals a season, which is around 1 in 4, which is pretty good scoring record for any player.

Steven MacLean has played a lot of games for St johnstone, even played in Europa league, knows the SPL well.

Of course he would play games, but we are killing 2 birds with one stone. Having someone who can play and also help coach.

its a brilliant idea

Scored in a cup final also.  Pretty successful in SPFL terms.  

Absolute Scenes
7 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

So we've got a decent youngish centre half prospect who we've judged is ready or there or thereabouts and we've got Aaron Hughes who's biggest remaining asset is his experience, and you'd take Hughes as a signing ? If Hughes was a free agent coming out of another club this summer, would you sign him ?

if Hughes was a free agent i would 100% sign him

Having someone on the bench who is happy being a sub most and who I can call upon and trust is what I'd want, rather than keep a "prospect" on the bench

To be fair, hughes only played for Newcastle in the English Premier League, not that big a deal,  so he must have got that gig for having had "good Experience".

3 hours ago, Deans Jambo said:

MacLean is a player that knows the league and has a decent goal record. 

My worry is that he's maybe starting to struggle now,  only 5 goals this season (12 and 15 the season's before).

Imo would be a good addition as a squad player but worried he's maybe past it.

Just 5 goals and he's been playing for a master tactician who was being touted by some as our manager?

Thought Police

Oh boy, it’s true.

I suppose from the articles it seems he’d be more of a benefit at training for the younger guys, but the guy has no knees!

1 hour ago, Escobar PHM said:

I'm available by PM for stupid questions, insults, abuse, bullying and intimidation. Feel free. I'm sure people discussing our prospective signings don't want to read your irrelevant garbage.

Bullying and intimidation.

:ears:

GorgieRules22

We have Jon Daly at the club who was a decent striker in his time, can glee not pass on some coaching tips ? 

Aaron Hughes and Steven Mclean now more or less becoming coaches....were gonae need a bigger dugout.

Keep the good news coming Hearts ?

2 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Folk going nuts, having a go at levein and cancelled season tickets all over a made up story in the paper. 

KB hysteria by some  if ever

Shows you how may mantivanis we have in our support

Escobar PHM
14 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

if Hughes was a free agent i would 100% sign him

Having someone on the bench who is happy being a sub most and who I can call upon and trust is what I'd want, rather than keep a "prospect" on the bench

To be fair, hughes only played for Newcastle in the English Premier League, not that big a deal,  so he must have got that gig for having had "good Experience".

12 years ago he played for Newcastle.

How are you going to develop a squad and bring young players forward if your signing over 35 stop gaps all the time ?

This is precisely where we've been going wrong for years. Weve got absolutely zero succession planning in our squad

Edited by Escobar PHM

33 minutes ago, JimKongUno said:

That article is a waste of time, no sources and no quotes. Hearts may well be in pre contract talks with him but anything else is just speculation.  Mentoring the kids, aye? 

Homer and Barts

You dont have to be 35-40 years old and on the verge of retirement to be a good mentor to a player. Berra was 32 most of the season, in his prime and a fantastic mentor to Souttar. You could be in your late 20s and still be a great example for younger players. A 35 year old Steven MacLean would be an unbelievably underwhelming signing, find it strange there are so many that are all for it. Each to their own but i’d prefer Hearts to be after a higher standard of player than that, back up or not

Absolute Scenes
8 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

12 years ago he played for Newcastle.

How are you going to develop a squad and bring young players forward if your signing over 35 stop gaps all the time ?

This is precisely where we've been going wrong for years.

I think we have two players, at the most who are over 35 at hearts, and one of them is a goalkeeping coach.

So your "all the time" argument is just continuing to show how clueless you are on this.

18Jambo_dave74

I'm really hoping this isn't true as I don't think he is of the required standard. I think I'm right in saying he can't play on all the pitches either (Hamilton & Killie). 

I like the idea of having older experienced pro's in the team (and squad) but for me there is a big difference between the likes of Hughes, Berra, Cowie, Naismith and Steven MacLean. 

We really need pace up front and in attacking positions and this prospective signing obviously wouldn't address that.

If he does sign and is 4th choice striker then I guess its not a big deal but I was hoping for better quality. 

Escobar PHM
3 minutes ago, Homer and Barts said:

You dont have to be 35-40 years old and on the verge of retirement to be a good mentor to a player. Berra was 32 most of the season, in his prime and a fantastic mentor to Souttar. You could be in your late 20s and still be a great example for younger players. A 35 year old Steven MacLean would be an unbelievably underwhelming signing, find it strange there are so many that are all for it. Each to their own but i’d prefer Hearts to be after a higher standard of player than that, back up or not

Berra, Naismith(if we can keep him) Lafferty to a certain extent. 3 pretty good mentors and leaders and more than enough in that specific department.

rudi must stay
6 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Why is signing a pish striker really really bad, but signing a pish striker with the view to becoming a striking coach good?

Good pro, who knows maybe he'll be brought in instantly as a coach. People haven't thought of that...

1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

Good pro, who knows maybe he'll be brought in instantly as a coach. People haven't thought of that...

That doesn't answer my question. If signing him as a player is seen as such a bad move, why is signing him to coach other players how to find the net a good move?

Edited by Wham Bam Austin McCann

19 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

That article is a waste of time, no sources and no quotes. Hearts may well be in pre contract talks with him but anything else is just speculation.  Mentoring the kids, aye? 

Anderson usually gets stuff correct the news he publishes from inside the club. 

1 hour ago, Spencer said:

But despite the grudging praise he has played 20 times this season for a side with 2nd best defensive record?

I have been critical about a number of things but I don't think lambasting Hughes or rubbishing notion of Maclean are areas where I feel criticism is merited 

Levein is quoted as saying he wants Mclean as a mentor for our young strikers. Doesn't say much for Laff or Daly.

Edited by mitch41

Just now, mitch41 said:

Levein is quoted as saying he want Mclean as a mentor for our young strikers. Doesn't say much for Laff or Daly.

Where ? I didn't see any quotes in the article ? 

Agree with the bit in bold though but actually i think that is just a cover for the fact he won't be playing many games. 

Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

Where ? I didn't see any quotes in the article ? 

Agree with the bit in bold though but actually i think that is just a cover for the fact he won't be playing many games. 

Whilst I agree about the cover bit it's saying in the article that Saints can't compete financially with us to keep him which kind of indicates he will be getting a not bad wage regardless. 

Robbo-Jambo
1 hour ago, New York Fleapit said:

You seriously don't think Mr Levein, one of the finest defenders our country has produced, and a PHM would pick a defender whom he didn't think could do more than just mentor young players?

Aaron Hughes is, and has proven, that he is more than capable of playing at this level. To think otherwise is ludicrous. 

Yeah we should just give him the left back slot because he was outstanding  at Dens Park a couple of weeks ago.

He is finished as a player, slower than my granny and she has been dead for ten years.

3 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

Anderson usually gets stuff correct the news he publishes from inside the club. 

Why no quotes or sources then , it's hardly Deep Throat stuff.

1 minute ago, johnking123 said:

People losing the plot because we are after an experienced squad player that will hardly play lol

Is that Hughes or McLean ? :rolleyes:

Homer and Barts
14 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Agree. The player has to make a significant contribution to the team for us as well for us to start challenging at the top end of the table. The 3 examples you mentioned, thats what we should be after. Fantastic players who are first picks every week and great role models for the younger lads. Steven MacLean will not improve us IMO

Anyway, let’s hope Banderson talking out his erse

2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Why no quotes or sources then , it's hardly Deep Throat stuff.

Because the club wouldn't discuss offering a contract to a player who is with another club until a deal is done perhaps?

Anderson wouldn't just make stuff up when he gets news from the club anyway.  He also says MacLean is open to the offer too. 

Whilst it's not the worst news in the world it is quite underwhelming.

We seem to have quite a few 'coaches' around already and with talk of Cowie and Hughes to join you wonder what they're all going to do. I get the experienced player helping the youngster philosophy however do we really need another striker to share advice when we have both Kirk and Daly, who have played at that level?

Also feel that if they were going to go down this road they could have looked to hold back the announcement until we've made a few other signings. The fans are more riled up than usual so to announce McLean as our first signing seems to be a strange move...

Edited by Mr Rabbit

1 hour ago, Juanjo15 said:

Saints fan at work seems to think it's common knowledge we are after Murray Davidson but nothing on MacLean. 

I think I would rather have Steven MacLean, he's quicker than Davidson. He plays about two decent games against us and everybody wants to sign him.

I seriously hope we are not after him. We desperately need some pace in the team and he will not provide it.