Offers already made to 3 players ( merged )

maroonsgotop

heartsfc_fan

McLean? Maybe 3 years ago but not now surely. The guy plays barely once a month with his knee taped up.

No thanks.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Spencer

• JamboAl

• Bridge of Djoum

I’m happy for MacLean to be back-up if Naismith stays.

If Naismith goes, and MacLean is expected to play regularly alongside Lafferty, then that’s simply not good enough!

Nookie Bear
3 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

can folk stop wetting the bed already

An offer for an older player, who wont demand high wages, will be happy to be backup, and can be used for suspensions, injuries.

It's an intelligent move.

Levein has already said he wants more than just one 35 year old striker

Come on guys keep it together!

There is still months left to do business but we seem to be constantly linked with bench players who *might* work out. 

The team needs about 5 starters, minimum.  

Those kinds of players will will not be available yet though, but people will speculate on rumours etc and the signs are disappointing in all honesty. 

If this is the standard we're looking at then there's no point in renewing my season ticket. Absolute joke.

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

not at all.

Sammon isn't value for money, on a fair wedge and he obviously wants first team football.

schalk is good enough to be a main striker for someone, again first team football. imo, He'll feel this way.

If we have Naismith and Lafferty as options, whoever comes will be a bench player. McLean fits that mould.

cheap, experienced, would be happy as back up.

it's more complicated than just Hearts, the player will also have demands.

some on here think in such 1 dimensional terms, no thought to all the issues. 

we can't hrow £3/£4k at players just so they're happy on the bench.

Celtic can, they throw £8k/£10k at fringe players, players who pick money over game time.

we don't have the cash or quite frankly the prestige to do this.

slaughtered for signing a player who no one knows  was even interested in us in the first place -classic stuff.

calm yourself down to a frantic state.

there is no reason why we cannot use Laff, Naismith AND Schalk over a season. He is signing from the bottom team, is hardly wildly prolific, so cannot truly expect to be the Main Man. 

Absolute Scenes
Just now, Nookie Bear said:

There is still months left to do business but we seem to be constantly linked with bench players who *might* work out. 

The team needs about 5 starters, minimum.  

Those kinds of players will will not be available yet though, but people will speculate on rumours etc and the signs are disappointing in all honesty. 

I agree...but the window isn't even open yet

the season isn't even over and people are going nuts over this

Why is it such a bad move? He's a player we need on the bench. An experienced striker who can come on against tougher opposition rather than chucking Euan Henderson against someone like Hamilton and watching him get ragdolled

If you let rumours get your hopes up too much then stop reading into them too much

I guarantee you we will have started our recruitment and this is just one of the players we're looking at.

In our current strongest team (taking out injuries etc, and if we were to keep the good loanees like Naismith, Adao and Milinkovic) who needs dropped to allow 5 new  starting 11 players (and that's not a dig btw, I'm just curious)

Absolute Scenes
3 minutes ago, Currahee! said:

If this is the standard we're looking at then there's no point in renewing my season ticket. Absolute joke.

ridiculous post

Don't renew it then

Fans like you wont be welcomed.

season isn't even over, window isn't even open.

Absolute Scenes
5 minutes ago, Tenor said:

I’m happy for MacLean to be back-up if Naismith stays.

If Naismith goes, and MacLean is expected to play regularly alongside Lafferty, then that’s simply not good enough!

Hopefully that's a sign that the process to keep Naismith has started ;) 

2 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

ridiculous post

Don't renew it then

The desperation to be seen as a better fan than some one else on this forum is so strange.

“You won’t be welcomed” :laugh:

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, Absolute Scenes said:

I agree...but the window isn't even open yet

the season isn't even over and people are going nuts over this

Why is it such a bad move? He's a player we need on the bench. An experienced striker who can come on against tougher opposition rather than chucking Euan Henderson against someone like Hamilton and watching him get ragdolled

If you let rumours get your hopes up too much then stop reading into them too much

I guarantee you we will have started our recruitment and this is just one of the players we're looking at.

In our current strongest team (taking out injuries etc, and if we were to keep the good loanees like Naismith, Adao and Milinkovic) who needs dropped to allow 5 new  starting 11 players (and that's not a dig btw, I'm just curious)

I am basing it on us not keeping guys like Naismith right now. Until they are confirmed, the loanees are not here next season.

We we also need a keeper, a couple of midfielders and then a striker. Plus some competition because, let’s face it, our best player will get injured! 

But I agree, a long way to go. 

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

How about Moussa or Wighton at Dundee?

Neither are free agents 

36 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

You two are at the wind up aye? I’d be seriously concerned about Leveins sanity if he signed Steven maclean. If  we are going down that route, just keep Sammon for a year. He’ll especially get slaughtered if he signs this guy and ignores Shalk

I'm not at wind up at all. If we are laying a new pitch at a cost of c. £1M and have a £3M stand overspend to finance together with a squad overhaul to oversee, it stands to reading that funds are likely to be a bit tight. Would it be a decent option for 12 months? I think so. Would allow budget to be allocated in areas of squad priority. He won't start ahead of Laff but could be a good option in some games or off the bench

Could we be doing with him right at this moment as an option? I would respectfully suggest we could 

2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Neither are free agents 

....and Moussa has scored one goal from open play, the rest pens!!!! ??

Folk will throw any name in without engaging their brain.... ?

heartsfc_fan
Just now, GavK1012 said:

:D I just realised when I posted that it was Kamara who I was thinking of. And he's not even a striker...

Absolute Scenes
6 minutes ago, DougieHMFC said:

The desperation to be seen as a better fan than some one else on this forum is so strange.

Wellbeing honest it doesn't make you look like a great fan

Considering not renewing your season ticket because we are potentially looking to Steven MacLean as an obvious backup striker, since we don't currently have any. That's pretty poor

Absolute Scenes
7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I am basing it on us not keeping guys like Naismith right now. Until they are confirmed, the loanees are not here next season.

We we also need a keeper, a couple of midfielders and then a striker. Plus some competition because, let’s face it, our best player will get injured! 

But I agree, a long way to go. 

Aye that's a good point about the loanees...I'm still too optimistic that we will keep them all!

So you're right, if none of them stay then 5, minimum, are needed

1 minute ago, GavK1012 said:

This, the guys looked a complete donkey any time iv seen him .

Considering not renewing your season ticket because we are potentially looking to Steven MacLean as an obvious backup striker, since we don't currently have any. That's pretty poor

Not every one has to be a super fan. If money’s tight and even if it’s not I completely understand people having more enjoyable things to do that watching this current hearts team.

Absolute Scenes
2 minutes ago, DougieHMFC said:

Not every one has to be a super fan. If money’s tight and even if it’s not I completely understand people having more enjoyable things to do that watching this current hearts team.

Agreed...but making it look like you are not going to renew your season ticket because Hearts are considering offering an older player a contract is poor. It shows that anything you don't agree with is enough to make you turn your back on your team

The current hearts team is by far NOT the worst team I've ever seen. I have seen some utterly diabolical teams in my lifetime. teams that allowed Dundee United to pump us 4-0 at home.

this one really isn't that bad

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

there is no reason why we cannot use Laff, Naismith AND Schalk over a season. He is signing from the bottom team, is hardly wildly prolific, so cannot truly expect to be the Main Man. 

he could easily be a first teamer for a bottom 6 side.

If he's happy to play 2nd fiddle, we should get him.

If he's not, I understand why we aren't going for him.

no one knows, so to be having a go at the club is just daft.

Hearts had most of their experienced players fit and available on Sat and they beat Aberdeen. Cowie, Berra, Hughes, Lafferty, Naismith all 30+. The experience showed. Playing a combination of older and younger players has helped Hearts in the past and has been the bedrock of some of the best Hearts teams - I’m thinking late 80s. Hearts are never going to attract the best players technically but experienced players who have looked after themselves physically (Cowie as an example) is a safe option for us in terms of recruitment to help support the academy products. Plus hopefully the odd wildcard early-mid 20s player who’s career has stalled, like Hartley/Weir/McCann.

A much smarter approach to recruitment than what we’ve seen in the last 2-3 years.

Jambof3tornado
10 minutes ago, Spencer said:

I'm not at wind up at all. If we are laying a new pitch at a cost of c. £1M and have a £3M stand overspend to finance together with a squad overhaul to oversee, it stands to reading that funds are likely to be a bit tight. Would it be a decent option for 12 months? I think so. Would allow budget to be allocated in areas of squad priority. He won't start ahead of Laff but could be a good option in some games or off the bench

Could we be doing with him right at this moment as an option? I would respectfully suggest we could 

A 36 year old will not stay match sharp coming off the bench occasionally.

33 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

With all these top senior pros around to positively influence the kids, our squad is going to be like that Channel 4 programme where they sent a group of 4yr olds into an old folks home. 

:lol:

Was funny, I lol’d.

Escobar PHM
9 minutes ago, Spencer said:

So we don’t need or can’t afford to resolve one of our main issues this season in that we don’t score enough goals, partly because we don’t have good enough striking options. And bringing in McLean (when we already have an identical striker on the books in sammon) is the answer ?

18 minutes ago, DougieHMFC said:

:laugh:

1 minute ago, Escobar PHM said:

So we don’t need or can’t afford to resolve one of our main issues this season in that we don’t score enough goals, partly because we don’t have good enough striking options. And bringing in McLean (when we already have an identical striker on the books in sammon) is the answer ?

I'm as critical as anyone for the current squad composition.  I just think for 12 months given foregoing it's not worst option I've heard 

I believe it might have happened in January 

heartsfc_fan

Out of contract strikers:

Kenny Miller

Ryan Bowman

Michael Gardyne

Alex Schalk

David N'Gog

Rakish Bingham

Nicky Maynard

Escobar PHM
17 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Steven McLean would be an utter waste of what (probably little) resources we have for players this season. We have far higher priorities surely than signing a boy to sit on the bench ahead of youth strikers. They don’t work for nothing you know. They cost a weekly wage. His weekly wage might be the difference between affording a really good attacking midfielder and not affording them. Complete waste of resources to sign this guy. We just don’t need him 

Edited by Escobar PHM

51 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

It’s not, when you are looking for a player as back up for Kyle Lafferty who offers similar height and a good work rate. 

Id certainly take Maclean over that QoS boy we were linked with, by a million miles. Folk talk about signing proven SPL players well there you have one who is as proven as it gets. 200 odd games at this level and a decent 1 in 4 return (for a big target man type) 

Not as though we’re going to be signing Adam Rooney... although come to think of it I don’t think he’s played much for Aberdeen this year... could be worth a bid to see if Aberdeen will potentially sell? 

It is laughable. He's terrible.

Dr Ian Malcolm

Not convinced Steven MacLean would be worthwhile but let's not allow "Levein ignored Schalk" to become a thing. Alex Schalk ffs.

Ron Burgundy
31 minutes ago, DougieHMFC said:

It's tragic.

I didn't even know we had a welcoming committee.

16 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Kenny Miller

Ryan Bowman

Michael Gardyne

Alex Schalk

David N'Gog

Rakish Bingham

Nicky Maynard

Bowman works his balls off 

Escobar PHM
13 minutes ago, Spencer said:

I'm as critical as anyone for the current squad composition.  I just think for 12 months given foregoing it's not worst option I've heard 

I believe it might have happened in January 

We have ONE out and out striker. The priority SHOULD be to sign another one at least of really good quality that can play alongside Lafferty. A first choice striker. If we have two first choice strikers then we need to sort midfield, goalkeeper, left back. Then we need a 3rd centre half. We don’t need a ‘back up’ striker. We already have at least 3 on the books.

Absolute Scenes
12 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Steven McLean would be an utter waste of what (probably little) resources we have for players this season. We have far higher priorities surely than signing a boy to sit on the bench ahead of youth strikers. They don’t work for nothing you know. They cost a weekly wage. His weekly wage might be the difference between affording a really good attacking midfielder and not affording them. Complete waste of resources to sign this guy. We just don’t need him 

Aiden keena will be ahead of him. Euan Henderson isn't ready to compete in the first team. Sammon doesn't want to sit on the bench. Therefore Steven macLean fits the bill of backup striker.

Would you rather we waste a chunk of our wage bill on someone, to then tell them they will be sitting on the bench most weeks?  What player would agree to that?? Steven MacLean is someone who will be quite happy to sit on the bench and come on when needed...who will also take up a very small wage compared to someone we would need to buy.

it's the furthest thing from wasting resource. Its actually using them wisely

I really really doubt it, if Levein had to choose between signing a 35 year old back up or a good attacking midfielder, he would choose the older striker...because that's not what a good manager would do. But I don't think you can see anything positive about what Levein does because of your downright hatred for him

Absolute Scenes
23 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Kenny Miller

Ryan Bowman

Michael Gardyne

Alex Schalk

David N'Gog

Rakish Bingham

Nicky Maynard

Bar Miller, all of those players will want confirmation that they will be playing each week. None of them would start ahead of lafferty, and none of them would be happy to have a low wage and sit on the bench

edit: Shalk would be a good swoop and could see him alongside Lafferty and Naismith (if we can keep him)

Edited by Absolute Scenes

Jambof3tornado
47 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

2+2=37.

Cant see any way of us keeping Naismith. I'd be delighted if we somehow did though.

48 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Here’s hoping! ?? 

Jambof3tornado
3 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Bar Miller, all of those players will want confirmation that they will be playing each week. None of them would start ahead of lafferty, and none of them would be happy to have a low wage and sit on the bench

edit: Shalk would be a good swoop and could see him alongside Lafferty and Naismith (if we can keep him)

I'd see schalk as a naismith replacement.

Edited by Jambof3tornado

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

2+2=37.

Cant see any way of us keeping Naismith. I'd be delighted if we somehow did though.

I really hope so

Surely a club has to take into consideration a players desire to leave. Norwich don't want to keep paying wages for someone in the reserves.

Naimsith had already said he'd happily take a reduced wage. I hope it happens

Escobar PHM
5 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

So we’re signing players and ‘guaranteeing’ them first team football now ? When did that start ? How about the old fashioned method where you try your guts out in training to force your way into the team and stay there. How’s  that going to work if there are players in the squad ‘guaranteed to start’ What a load of shite

Jambof3tornado
Just now, Absolute Scenes said:

I really hope so

Surely a club has to take into consideration a players desire to leave. Norwich don't want to keep paying wages for someone in the reserves.

Naimsith had already said he'd happily take a reduced wage. I hope it happens

If by some miracle we keep naismith it will be a fantastic bit of business by the club.

May even completely erase the Oshinawa deal.

52 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

ridiculous post

Don't renew it then

So you're the spokesman for all Hearts fans? Who are you to say I won't be welcomed. 

You enjoy rustling your sweetie papers nice boy.

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, Escobar PHM said:

So we’re signing players and ‘guaranteeing’ them first team football now ? When did that start ? How about the old fashioned method where you try your guts out in training to force your way into the team and stay there. How’s  that going to work if there are players in the squad ‘guaranteed to start’ What a load of shite

My goodness

You've lost it :rofl:

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, Currahee! said:

So you're the spokesman for all Hearts fans? Who are you to say I won't be welcomed. 

You enjoy rustling your sweetie papers nice boy.

:kiss:

Absolute Scenes

If by some miracle we keep naismith it will be a fantastic bit of business by the club.

Aw you had to remind me of that deal :facepalm:

Escobar PHM

My goodness

You've lost it :rofl:

And how about answering the question next ? 

Unknown user

I don't think it'll take that much of a miracle mate, don't forget we were trying to sign him permanently in January and only changed to a loan deal at the last minute as Norwich moved the goalposts