The Beast from the East

Swanny17

I left work at 1pm today heading for Dunbar. Single lane clear on the A1 southbound. Sat on the inside lane doing 40 a safe distance behind the person in front, who was doing the same. There was a feking Range Rover behind me, doing the same (40mph safe distance).

The amount of wee lassie/laddies whizzing by was incredible. Never seen any in a field on fire, unfortunately.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When did it become ok for folk to only halfscrape two small circles on the windscreen(with a magazine) to look out of when driving hundreds of kilos of metal down snowy and icy roads?

The amount of ****wits I’ve seen driving whilst on a mobile today has been unreal , what are these people all about ??

Also where are the gritters none along Stevenson Drive all day today , maybe they didn’t know there was bad weather on the way 

17 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I agree with this. Newcastle and into the Berwick area could be ok but the Scottish Borders Council have closed all schools and the weather warnings for tomorrow morning in the central belt look terrible 

Keep safe Smithee. 

Cheers bud, looks like it'll be a night on the dog. Hard life!

1 hour ago, marriott said:

True mate hindsight is a wonderful thing, after 30 years of driving in the snow I should have foreseen that ice cubes would form on my wiper blades as it happens all the time :huh2:

Happened to me earlier. Never seen anything like it - at one point it was look an icy baseball bat scraping along the windscreen.

luckyBatistuta
39 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

The amount of ****wits I’ve seen driving whilst on a mobile today has been unreal , what are these people all about ??

Also where are the gritters none along Stevenson Drive all day today , maybe they didn’t know there was bad weather on the way 

Guy went tearing towards us in a works van texting, another overtook ourselves and all the other cars doing about 30/40mph, coming up to a bend too. They might not care about their lives, but try caring about others you total ####wits. 

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

we came round the corner about a minute after this idiot, stuck for ages.

Where is that? Frogston Rd?

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, jake said:

Is it true your car insurance is invalid after a red weather warning ?

‘Some policies are mate, got to read the small print.

12 minutes ago, Thaw said:

Don't remember buses ever being cancelled in 2010, but maybe someone will correct me.

Pretty sure some did or were a bit less frequent at least

4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Wife just phoned me to say that she is staying at the Hospital tonight as they have been advised not to travel unless absolutely necessary.

Kinda makes sense as there isn't really any point in her trying to struggle home tonight at 8pm only to then try and get back down the road at 6am for her shift in the morning.

Don't think she'll be the only one doing the same.

So the hospital has spare beds?

I think the NHS are lying to us!!

19 minutes ago, Thaw said:

Don't remember buses ever being cancelled in 2010, but maybe someone will correct me.

Don’t know about cancelled but 26s have stopped going up corstorphine hill in the past. For obvious reasons. 

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

Pretty sure some did or were a bit less frequent at least

Don’t remember that either. I was out on the streets most nights during that and pretty sure they were on too.

4 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Don’t remember that either. I was out on the streets most nights during that and pretty sure they were on too.

There was definitely one afternoon where a few services were cancelled but most kept going. I remember it as the services that were cancelled were the only ones I needed :lol:

5 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I could definitely be wrong. I remember schools closing early and that though which im sure we were told at the time was also because transport had gotten bad.

16 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

So the hospital has spare beds?

I think the NHS are lying to us!!

There are often spare beds, just not got the staff to staff them, that's the problem.

Surely you've heard of whole wards being closed down, because there isn't enough staff to keep them open.

luckyBatistuta
20 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

There was definitely one afternoon where a few services were cancelled but most kept going. I remember it as the services that were cancelled were the only ones I needed :lol:

18 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

I could definitely be wrong. I remember schools closing early and that though which im sure we were told at the time was also because transport had gotten bad.

I remember there was one day in particular back then that no gritters had been out. I was on princes street and all the buses were just sliding from side to side. It looked like something from Dancing on Ice :laugh:

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

There are often spare beds, just not got the staff to staff them, that's the problem.

Surely you've heard of whole wards being closed down, because there isn't enough staff to keep them open.

And surely you've noticed Der Kaiser rarely post anything serious.

38 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

‘Some policies are mate, got to read the small print.

41 minutes ago, jake said:

Is it true your car insurance is invalid after a red weather warning ?

Taken from BBC...

17:18

Driving during a red alert

Social media reports that you will not be covered by insurance if you drive during a red warning are untrue, according to insurers.

However, they advised drivers to heed warnings.

Malcolm Tarling, from the Association of British Insurers, said: "We would urge all drivers to pay close attention to advice from local authorities and the emergency services in areas affected by snow – particularly where there is a red warning.

"People’s safety is paramount.

"However social media claims that motor insurance will be invalid if people drive during a red warning are not true.

"Motor insurance will cover you in the usual way, providing you are driving within the law.”

Psychedelicropcircle

Cropcirclette left Bathgate at 2 on the way to the honest toon diverted to her maws in piltonia at 5.30. Nae eastenders or any o that shoite on the Tv in here the night❄️?

Stewie Griffin
45 minutes ago, Thaw said:

Don't remember buses ever being cancelled in 2010, but maybe someone will correct me

I was living in gorebridge at the time and the buses were definitely cancelled at least one of the days 

3 minutes ago, Stewie Griffin said:

I was living in gorebridge at the time and the buses were definitely cancelled at least one of the days 

You sure they didn't just not go further than Dalkeith, happened quite often for Gorebridge and Mayfield.

2 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Sure I read somewhere that gritting has no effect on temperatures less than -2.

Further checking says that it begins to lose it's effectiveness at -4 and is useless at -10.

Back of the Bus
26 minutes ago, theshed said:

Not snowed since the red alert at 3 

well apart from odd shower 

I just said exactly that.

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Further checking says that it begins to lose it's effectiveness at -4 and is useless at -10.

also i believe the grit has to be on the road before the snow or is again ineffective

Psychedelicropcircle
1 minute ago, gjcc said:

Did I imagine a flash of lightening and thunder a few minutes ago? Nobody near me noticed it. :lol:

ISIS nap!

2 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Did I imagine a flash of lightening and thunder a few minutes ago? Nobody near me noticed it. :lol:

Nope, definitely thundersnow.

AlphonseCapone
3 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Defo blue lightening!

10 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Thank Christ someone else saw it :lol:

15 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Nope. Wife and daughter have just came through to ask if thunder and lightning is possible too in snowy weather as they've just seen and heard it. 

Corstorphine.

20 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Nope. Snow, lightning and power cuts and I’m a two miles from the city centre! Apocalypse now. 

5c96028d652f38072b99af0b381d371d.jpg

2 minutes ago, Zico said:

Nope. Snow, lightning and power cuts and I’m a two miles from the city centre! Apocalypse now. 

5c96028d652f38072b99af0b381d371d.jpg

The day after the morn. :blush:

37 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

also i believe the grit has to be on the road before the snow or is again ineffective

Something the gritters in Norfolk didn't adhere too and now all our major roads have been closed for the day

31 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Defo blue lightening!

Yeah I saw a bright blue flash over towards Murrayfield stadium

SFA maybe making sure football really won't be possible there

Archived