The Beast from the East

Swanny17

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I hate to be the old git but closed schools? Really? 

Whats worse is they have the day off and there isn’t even enough snow in my street for them to build a snowman 

sun beating down as we speak 

42 minutes ago, Tazio said:

There better be an absolute blizzard to end all blizzards later or this is going to be a bit of a joke. You're lucky if there's an inch or 2 of snow where I am.

At the start of the week, I booked Thursday off work just to have a "me" day, a bit of peace and quiet and lounging about on my ass doing nothing. Looks like I'm going to have end up thinking of something to do with the kids instead. 

Not pleased. 

34 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Would you rather have school buses full of children trying to drive through blizzard conditions on rural country roads?

It is blizzard conditions, increasing wind, drifting snow, main roads are barely passable, side roads forget about it as there is about 5 maybe 6 inches of snow lying on the roads and being added to minute by minute.

Now I know not everywhere is getting it as bad, some places are ok, but other places are getting hit with bad weather.

5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Would you rather have school buses full of children trying to drive through blizzard conditions on rural country roads?

It is blizzard conditions, increasing wind, drifting snow, main roads are barely passable, side roads forget about it as there is about 5 maybe 6 inches of snow lying on the roads and being added to minute by minute.

Now I know not everywhere is getting it as bad, some places are ok, but other places are getting hit with bad weather.

Fair enough to close the yokel ones out in the sticks, but there's no reason for schools in the city to be closed. Not snowing here, barely 1cm on the ground. The bus I was on this morning had no problem getting around.

There's been a good 3" since I got to work at 6am.

Currently 5.8° in the workshop. 

Stocks of teabags looking unlikely to last the day.

22 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Fair enough to close the yokel ones out in the sticks, but there's no reason for schools in the city to be closed. Not snowing here, barely 1cm on the ground. The bus I was on this morning had no problem getting around.

Agreed, especially in the city, which rarely ever gets as bad weather like the countryside often does.

Scottish Borders Council have tweeted this update.

Weather conditions are deteriorating and we have been advised that many rural and exposed routes are impassable. Our winter maintenance team are currently treating priority routes. You are urged not to travel.

Had pick the boy and wife from schools in the Land Rover, car has been left in the village about 6 miles away, its snowing but not too heavily, the problem is its drifting in the strong wind. 

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Fecking ridiculous the way this country panics about a wee dusting of snow. Closing schools :jj_facepalm:

How do they cope in Norway or Canada?

It's true what they say, the UK has turned into a country of bed wetters

Couldn't agree more. Litigation. Fear of being sued if someone falls on their premises.  People no longer responsible for their own actions. Someone always at fault apart from the individual who has acted stupidly 99 times out of a hundred.

49 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Maybe teachers coming from outside the city and unable to get to work. 

If not enough teachers get to school there won't be enough teachers to teach classes 

They are teachers not child minders 

9 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Maybe teachers coming from outside the city and unable to get to work. 

If not enough teachers get to school there won't be enough teachers to teach classes 

They are teachers not child minders 

As I understand it, if a teacher can't get to their usual school due to weather, they should make their way to the school closest to them. I refuse to believe that every single teacher lives in the sticks with impassable terrain surrounding them. 

Nelly Terraces

Off out for a 6 mile run soon. If I don't post back here in the next 24 hours can someone alert the emergency services!:thumbsup:

24 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

As I understand it, if a teacher can't get to their usual school due to weather, they should make their way to the school closest to them. I refuse to believe that every single teacher lives in the sticks with impassable terrain surrounding them. 

No probably not but most teachers do not live in the same city/town as where they teach. So will have to travel to a certain degree. 

There also has to be a  certain amount of staff in the school. 

Schools are pretty much damned if they do and damned if they don't regarding closures.

12 minutes ago, eighteen seventyfour said:

Met office red warning now from 1500hrs

Yip, including Edinburgh and the Forth Valley, looks like all the folks who were wondering what all the fuss was about are about to find out for themselves.

The commute home is going to be a nightmare, even worse than normal if the forecast is correct.

Between half a foot and a foot of snowfall in Norfolk so far.

Buses not running but the biggest problem is people who do not know how to drive in snow. Following a car home last night who slowed down to 5mph to get up a hill then started to spin out when they needed more momentum.

...a bit disco
Just now, GBJambo said:

Central belt about to take a hammering....

Worse than that...

Some of our public toilets will be closed today due to adverse weather. Colinton and Cramond toilets are currently shut - we'll update if we need to close any more

Scottish Borders Council latest tweet.

Advice from @policescotland is DO NOT DRIVE. In light of RED weather warning issued form @metoffice you are urged not to travel and stay indoors. #SBCtravel

This beast from the East has just got very real and very dangerous, if the Police are telling people to get off the roads and stay indoors, take heed.

2 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Worse than that...

Some of our public toilets will be closed today due to adverse weather. Colinton and Cramond toilets are currently shut - we'll update if we need to close any more

Will be plenty yellow snow outside toilets now 

Had to abandon the journey this morning, not fun with a pregnant wife and a toddler in the caret me tell you. 

Problem is I am the boss so am expected to be the one person who doesn't make excuses however, this is exceptional 

chester copperpot
58 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

DXHlMcMX0AA9xY0.jpg

Airdrie to be red from 1pm.

Nice knowing y'all.

I've cracked open a beer and watching day time telly. It's like being back at University :lol:

48 minutes ago, theshed said:

Will be plenty yellow snow outside toilets now 

Hahahahah

Yellow be aware warnings outside all the public toilets

At Gyle Park and it keeps stopping and starting. Can't see it amounting to the extreme ice age they are predicting. Can't be doing with no football this weekend.

Penicuik is getting a bit wild, lots of drifting and roads are white. Dafties driving too fast. It’s going from white out to sunshine and back.

My youngest started crying 5 minutes ago. She left her hairband in the garden earlier and wants me to go look for it. 

"Fine! Where did you leave it?" 

"Don't remember." 

"What does it look like?" 

"It's white." 

42 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Airdrie to be red from 1pm.

Nice knowing y'all.

I've cracked open a beer and watching day time telly. It's like being back at University :lol:

Airdrie has always been Red with a dash of white:laugh:.

6 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

I have milk, tea bags and biscuits.

Bring your worst Penicuik!!

Shit, meant to pop down to Lidl to get milk.

chester copperpot
13 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Airdrie has always been Red with a dash of white:laugh:.

:lol: fair point

Schools off tmrw here too. Happy days

chester copperpot
2 minutes ago, westbow said:

Got almond milk -gross

Went to Tesco at 11.30 this morning. Roads dead and pretty clear (the main ones)

Got a big lasagne and a slab of beer. Bring it beast of the East 

3 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Went to Tesco at 11.30 this morning. Roads dead and pretty clear (the main ones)

Got a big lasagne and a slab of beer. Bring it beast of the East 

That would have done you till about now so you will have ran out of beer

The Old Tolbooth

Just been for essentials (beer and wine), it was amazing fun driving in that, seen a few arseholes mind who hadn't a clue what they were doing, makes me cringe watching them :lol: 

Very strange to see how bad the blizzard has been last half hour or so yet not a touch of snow on my car but roads are bad 

snow is powder like getting blowing around in the strong wind 

Archived