The Beast from the East

Swanny17

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Believe it or not we actually used slates in 1971 when I started primary school for when we were learning to write. Either our teacher was very backwards thinking or very forward thinking and trying to save paper. 

Must have been Royston. We got them from 1968. For writing and doing sums on.

J.T.F.Robertson
3 hours ago, bairdy said:

Did you know that every snowflake has it's own distinctive shape ? Amazing...

Just thought I'd mention it.

There have to have been trillions upon trillions (and the rest) fallen since the beginning of an atmosphere, all with no two ever identical.

What's truly amazing is how we've managed to examine every one of them. Mind boggling, so it is. :ph34r:

Cairneyhill Jambo
5 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

Got a work colleague on the same flight. She's been told there are contingency plans to move it to Glasgow if Edinburgh is unusable, although they did say they expect it to go as planned unless there is 'absolutely unmanageable snowfall' beforehand.

Cheers for that. Will give Jet2 a phone tomorrow. Meant to be staying at the Holiday Inn at the airport tomorrow night.

21 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

There have to have been trillions upon trillions (and the rest) fallen since the beginning of an atmosphere, all with no two ever identical.

What's truly amazing is how we've managed to examine every one of them. Mind boggling, so it is. :ph34r:

"A typical small snow crystal might contain 1018 water molecules scattered throughout the snow crystal."

That's 1,000,000,000,000,000,000--one quintillion. Needless to say the odds that any two snowflakes are ever going to form identically are vanishingly small. The old adage is close enough to dead cert!

Source

J.T.F.Robertson
1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

"A typical small snow crystal might contain 1018 water molecules scattered throughout the snow crystal."

That's 1,000,000,000,000,000,000--one quintillion. Needless to say the odds that any two snowflakes are ever going to form identically are vanishingly small. The old adage is close enough to dead cert!

Source

That's way too technical for me, you win. Your quintillion, alone, positively wallops my trillions. :mad:

4 hours ago, Bozi said:

Scrap that, full on blizzard in Bathgate now 

Drove over the Bathgate hills at about 7pm. Absolutely terrifying. More like a bobsleigh course than a road. My car decided sideways was the correct way to deal with things. 5-10mph, brakes did nothing, steering did nothing. Coming down the big hill on the Linlithgow side just after Beecraigs was by far the worst moment. Let the brakes off at the top and said a prayer. Tried to feather the brakes all the way down but to no avail. Bounced off the kerb at the bottom and lived to tell this remarkable tale. 

Just been upgraded to red down here. Going down from Cockburnspath to burnsmouth is now impossible. It's easily 5cm at the bottom of the hill. 

Coming up I can't see a truck having enough traction o climb the hill 

1 hour ago, Smack said:

Drove over the Bathgate hills at about 7pm. Absolutely terrifying. More like a bobsleigh course than a road. My car decided sideways was the correct way to deal with things. 5-10mph, brakes did nothing, steering did nothing. Coming down the big hill on the Linlithgow side just after Beecraigs was by far the worst moment. Let the brakes off at the top and said a prayer. Tried to feather the brakes all the way down but to no avail. Bounced off the kerb at the bottom and lived to tell this remarkable tale. 

So........ You weren't on your way to the game then? ?

Heavy snow here in the Borders now, can't see where the road and the pavement meets anymore, wife is supposed to be working tomorrow and will be leaving around 6.30am, even with a 4wd I think she could be struggling to get to work, if it continues like this, and this is before the amber warning kicks in.

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Smack said:

Nae offence mate but driving up there in these conditions wasn't your best idea.. 

4 minutes ago, CornhillHearts said:

39CC2D2C-563B-4025-A810-B722D67AEBB4.jpeg

All schools in the Scottish Borders are also shut tomorrow and Thursday, waiting to hear about Friday.

Kinda of a bummer for trying to arrange childcare at such short notice for many parents (I'm not affected), daughter and her two are tho.

8 hours ago, Tazio said:

Believe it or not we actually used slates in 1971 when I started primary school for when we were learning to write. Either our teacher was very backwards thinking or very forward thinking and trying to save paper. 

Just shows how health and safety has gone too far these days. No way would a teacher be able to teach a class on the roof these days. Worlds gone mad. 

William H. Bonney
4 minutes ago, graygo said:

Christ, say a prayer that they don't close the East Lothian schools folks.  :sob:

Or west Lothian. My work will have a hissy fit if I have to phone in. 

Dundee City Council have prepared well for this one then. 

This is the City Centre...

20180228_041252.jpg

It should have been ten
15 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Feck me minus 2. Michty me.

:lol:

Jings, crivvens, help ma boab

It should have been ten
6 hours ago, Smack said:

Nah, just dropped the offspring off with the beast from the west. 

:laugh: ??

It should have been ten

If the weather is to be as treacherous as forecast surely the council would be as well closing the schools now for the rest of the week given that many schools have  the half day on a Friday. Would give parents/ guardians plenty notice to arrange childcare if needed. Just saying :happy:

It should have been ten
14 hours ago, redjambo said:

Time to put out or refill the bird feeders guys.

It will make a difference to the birds in this weather.

This! My heart goes out to the birds and animals outside in these conditions. Doesn’t bare thinking about ?

It should have been ten
10 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Do it every day mate. 

Sparrows, blackbirds, and a wee robin. 

The robin actually sits on my conservatory steps waiting for the food.

Brilliant! ?

Schools are shut & no way I'm attempting to drive to West Linton. A wee day off it is then :pleased:

Cheers ya big sexy beastie!

I will get out and fill the bird feeders etc before I try for work. Seen a wee snowplough clearing the pavements on Dalkeith Rd at 5.30 AM...

1 hour ago, It should have been ten said:

If the weather is to be as treacherous as forecast surely the council would be as well closing the schools now for the rest of the week given that many schools have  the half day on a Friday. Would give parents/ guardians plenty notice to arrange childcare if needed. Just saying :happy:

I agree. 

And the schools can arrange to extend the term to make up for lost teaching hours as well. 

Салатные палочки

Since I work round the corner I'll be the only one in. 

Should be a :muggy: but with my work colleagues, it's a :pleasing:from me. 

Screenshot_20180228-071557.jpg

I know it’s freezing and very slippery but so far at the moment I wouldn’t say there has been that much in the way of snow in Edinburgh. Was a dusting on my car this morn 

It should have been ten
39 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I agree. 

And the schools can arrange to extend the term to make up for lost teaching hours as well. 

Considering they've closed the schools tomorrow it only leaves the Friday half day ?

Lovely.   Very pleased with the driving ice bullets in the face earlier.    Frostbite is another one off the bucket list.   

24 minutes ago, theshed said:

I know it’s freezing and very slippery but so far at the moment I wouldn’t say there has been that much in the way of snow in Edinburgh. Was a dusting on my car this morn 

Saw on the TV yesterday, I think it was the M20 and it was at a virtual standstill with only one track through the snow on each carriageway, 15 miles further up the M20 it was brilliant sunshine and not a drop of snow and folks there were asking what all the fuss was about.

That's the thing, some places are getting it bad but a few miles along the road it's fine. 

2 hours ago, Pennywise said:

Schools are shut & no way I'm attempting to drive to West Linton. A wee day off it is then :pleased:

Cheers ya big sexy beastie!

Did tell you the other day, about the joys of driving on country roads in winter and they probably wouldn't have been gritted either and if they had, it would have been last night, nothing overnight.

Wise move to just stay at home.

2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Wouldn't worry about school closures in East Lothian it's not even cold and it's bright sunshine with minimal snow.

East Lothian schools are closed.

The council areas which have closed all schools include;

Scottish Borders, East Lothian, Fife, Clackmannanshire, Edinburgh, Midlothian, West Lothian, Falkirk, Stirling, North Lanarkshire, South Lanarkshire, East Dunbartonshire, Glasgow, West Dunbartonshire, East Renfrewshire, Renfrewshire and Inverclyde.

A number of other councils including East Ayrshire, North Ayrshire, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Angus, Moray, Perth and Kinross, Highland and Dumfries and Galloway have some closures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-43222960

1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

Since I work round the corner I'll be the only one in. 

Should be a :muggy: but with my work colleagues, it's a :pleasing:from me. 

Screenshot_20180228-071557.jpg

Yawn!

Салатные палочки
8 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Yawn!

Tired today Old Blue Eyes?  Were you up all night looking for snow updates on facebook?  

17 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

East Lothian schools are closed.

The council areas which have closed all schools include;

Scottish Borders, East Lothian, Fife, Clackmannanshire, Edinburgh, Midlothian, West Lothian, Falkirk, Stirling, North Lanarkshire, South Lanarkshire, East Dunbartonshire, Glasgow, West Dunbartonshire, East Renfrewshire, Renfrewshire and Inverclyde.

A number of other councils including East Ayrshire, North Ayrshire, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Angus, Moray, Perth and Kinross, Highland and Dumfries and Galloway have some closures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-43222960

:lol:

Nucky Thompson

Fecking ridiculous the way this country panics about a wee dusting of snow. Closing schools :jj_facepalm:

How do they cope in Norway or Canada?

It's true what they say, the UK has turned into a country of bed wetters

3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Fecking ridiculous the way this country panics about a wee dusting of snow. Closing schools :jj_facepalm:

How do they cope in Norway or Canada?

It's true what they say, the UK has turned into a country of bed wetters

Have you seen the news and the pictures from Croatia looks about 10 times worse than the UK has and I bet they are going about there normal life.

Hardly any traffic at rush hour, office is quiet. Nice and sunny with a crisp coolness. Wish every day was like this. 

chester copperpot
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

West Granton Road at 8am this morning

20180228_075927.jpg

20180228_075918.jpg

20180228_075910.jpg

Were you in a car travelling 500mph when you took these fella?

Archived