The Beast from the East

Swanny17

1 hour ago, Normthebarman said:

My youngest started crying 5 minutes ago. She left her hairband in the garden earlier and wants me to go look for it. 

"Fine! Where did you leave it?" 

"Don't remember." 

"What does it look like?" 

"It's white." 

:bolt:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wife just phoned me to say that she is staying at the Hospital tonight as they have been advised not to travel unless absolutely necessary.

Kinda makes sense as there isn't really any point in her trying to struggle home tonight at 8pm only to then try and get back down the road at 6am for her shift in the morning.

Don't think she'll be the only one doing the same.

5 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Watch the Edinburgh Hotels ramp up the prices of rooms for tonight.

If public transport grinds to a halt, and it may well do following the Red Alert, then how will people get home ? 

ScotRailVerified account @ScotRail

?⚠️REMINDER. In areas where the RED Met Office weather warning applies, customers should head for home NOW. See this thread for full info ?

Guess that means they will be stopping the trains as well soon.

Edit: Indeed they are, just said on the news that no trains will be running tonight or tomorrow morning in the red warning zones.

Is kind of extreme the weather. People on here acting as if this is the norm for Edinburgh. 

Will be even worse tomorrow. 

9 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

All Edinburgh,Midlothian and West Lothian schools closed tomorrow.

Apologies if already covered earlier in the thread.

Add East Lothian to that list :(

5 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

45 mins till SNOWMAGEDDON 

Away to put another brew on :greggy: 

Yes im just sitting down to watch Minder then The sweeney on ITV4

Will be watching out the window as the world comes to an end 

Pretty tame in Edinburgh. Roads clear. Drove up from London overnight and it was fine once I got past Birmingham. Suspect it's a just in case warning so the old bill can cover their arses

38 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Watch the Edinburgh Hotels ramp up the prices of rooms for tonight.

If public transport grinds to a halt, and it may well do following the Red Alert, then how will people get home ? 

I see that Stobo Castle are telling their guests they can stay an extra night tonight free with all meals paid as they dont want guests leaving in this weather ??

Dagger Is Back

Just home after it took me an hour to get from Hermiston Gait to Swanston. It was utter carnage. Couldn't see the carriageway and it was an educated guess to get up the slip road. Slip road at Clovenstone was not pleasant. If the worst stuff is coming at 3pm, I hope everyone gets home safely before then

29 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Pretty tame in Edinburgh. Roads clear. Drove up from London overnight and it was fine once I got past Birmingham. Suspect it's a just in case warning so the old bill can cover their arses

Would hardly call this tame. 

chester copperpot
1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

That would have done you till about now so you will have ran out of beer

Almost upside doon behind the telly

I'm glad I filled up the bird feeder this morning. I've never seen such a long queue of different kinds of birds eager to nibble my seeds. Loads of tits about too - I normally don't see that many. I'm glad I was able to give them something to munch on in this weather.

Seriously, get a bird feeder out. It will make a difference.

Just now, redjambo said:

I'm glad I filled up the bird feeder this morning. I've never seen such a long queue of different kinds of birds eager to nibble my seeds. Loads of tits about too - I normally don't see that many. I'm glad I was able to give them something to munch on in this weather.

Seriously, get a bird feeder out. It will make a difference.

:oohmatron:

6 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Would check your car insurance if you are driving during a red weather warning as some  policies don't cover this 

Also with the Police warning people not to drive, get off the roads and stay indoors, would that not have an effect on folks insurance as well, you know what insurance companies are like, any excuse not to pay out.

3 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

In the red zone now...

Underwhelming.  Not even snowing.

Its snowing now but more wind blowing it around 

See what next few hours bring but at the moment I’ve seen much worse 

8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Also with the Police warning people not to drive, get off the roads and stay indoors, would that not have an effect on folks insurance as well, you know what insurance companies are like, any excuse not to pay out.

Yep which makes it crazy that some employers aren't letting their staff get away 

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Yep which makes it crazy that some employers aren't letting their staff get away 

Good on the employers I say

8 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

In the red zone now...

Underwhelming.  Not even snowing.

Netweather.tv, who are usually pretty reliable, aren't predicting much snow between now and 11pm. They're predicting a decent amount overnight though.

I think we can just expect more of what we've had already today - a lot of light showers with the occasional heavy one. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Got on a bus in town at half one heading to newtongrange, just past Cameron toll now. 

To make matters worse, the bus is now stopping at Tesco at eskbank. 

Might get some cans cans for the drink home. If tesco’s Not shut!

Once you get to Liberton high it's pretty much clear to Gilmerton. 

5 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Got on a bus in town at half one heading to newtongrange, just past Cameron toll now. 

To make matters worse, the bus is now stopping at Tesco at eskbank. 

Might get some cans cans for the drink home. If tesco’s Not shut!

Sounds like you’ve already had enough cans cans :D

7 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Bang on 3pm we had a blizzard. 

The snow I see is really fine flakes blowing about.  I want the big juicy ones! 

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Ali-1874 said:

Netweather.tv, who are usually pretty reliable, aren't predicting much snow between now and 11pm. They're predicting a decent amount overnight though.

I think we can just expect more of what we've had already today - a lot of light showers with the occasional heavy one. 

So the same as yesterday then, kept moving it out when nothing happened.

All the tubes in the met office, Scottish government and Council will be preying that we get battered so it doesn't make them look stupid

Glasgow Airport shut for the rest of the day.

Glasgow AirportVerified account @GLA_Airport

Due to continued severe weather conditions and the large number of flights which airlines have had to cancel, there will be no further flights to or from Glasgow Airport for the remainder of the day. Further heavy snowfall is forecast and we will provide updates regarding......tomorrow’s scheduled services later this evening. Anyone with travel plans should contact their airline directly for specific flight information.

Nucky Thompson

It's now 3.40pm and most school children will be walking back home. Tell me it was justified for Edinburgh council to close all schools

4 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

The snow I see is really fine flakes blowing about.  I want the big juicy ones! 

With you on this one, since I’m at home I want heavy snow and so far it really hasn’t came to much 

No where near as bad as the heavy snow we had a few years ago and yet the way the reports are going we won’t survive the red alert 

AlphonseCapone
5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's now 3.40pm and most school children will be walking back home. Tell me it was justified for Edinburgh council to close all schools

Damned if they do, damned if they don't though. They have to go on the Met's advice.

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Edinburgh schools shut tomorrow 

Unreal. Why not wait and see what tomorrow brings?

I can't remember ever getting a day off school for snow when I went

I think people look out of their window and think because it looks ok from where they are the rest of the country is the same! 

Work closed so everyone sent home. Guess the mug that had to get off the bus to drop a package of at a courier pick up point a mile from his house on the way home. The snow deliberately waited until I stepped off the bus to be at its heaviest for the 20 minute walk home. 

luckyBatistuta
49 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Would check your car insurance if you are driving during a red weather warning as some  policies don't cover this 

Correct, seen a a couple of cars crash in to garden walls on the way home, hope they’ve read theirs.

Why is it so many people get told not to come in to work and others can’t, yet hospital workers don’t and can?

Just home, 3hrs to go about 4 miles, it was fun though.

25 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I have four blackbirds in the back garden fighting over the seed. 

Yup, I've had a few rooks too, but the birdfeeders are too small for them to use so they get the stuff that spills to the ground. I put some extra out for them though just in case - they're bigger chaps and need more to eat.

17 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You seem very annoyed about all this, Nucky. U ok hun?

Chill out, have some hot chocolate and go and do some slide tackles. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2klBn-rCCXpbfuE0vyKl

15 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Unreal. Why not wait and see what tomorrow brings?

I can't remember ever getting a day off school for snow when I went

jealousy-quote-1.thumb.jpg.4918e98c216605b26ab0a53ad98ab6c8.jpg

24 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You canny open the schools if most of the teachers canny get in.

luckyBatistuta
8 hours ago, John Findlay said:

West Granton Road at 8am this morning

20180228_075927.jpg

20180228_075918.jpg

20180228_075910.jpg

6 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

Were you in a car travelling 500mph when you took these fella?

Just noticed this,

Think you might have actually seen something at that speed chester, unlike John ‘David Bailey’ Findlay’s photos :laugh:

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, Glottis said:

You canny open the schools if most of the teachers canny get in.

Ach, you don’t need them anyway. Open them up, they’ll be fine

A7810746-ECD5-4C3E-9347-5BE1CE52ABAD.gif

Archived