Goncalves - some Hearts fans in racist abuse claims

Swanny17

Bazzas right boot

We have a dim witted, vile element in our support.

There is no denying it.

Even at the hibs game ,in a pub I was lucky to hear the full rendition of Edinburgh is wonderful except a, b and c, quickly followed by the gid auld version of hello, hello, There was also two union jack in the crowd that were singing  it.

It's 2018 and  the folk that say "if true" and "I didn't hear anything"  are having a jolly.

We have an element that need to go elsewhere.

We do seem to pick a player and decide that's it as well- in the last few years, Sammon, Prince and Goncalves stand out ( along with Robbie and the plane  stunt). I could be wrong but young Ross is getting dogs along with Djoum at the moment. I am sure both can't wait for Martin to get a game , he'll go straight in to number 1

We do like to have a boo boy, don't see how this benefits anyone. Craig was one result from the guns being turned on him by some.

An element of our "support" need to get a grip.

Folk will defend  their actions but it's 2018 and racism and bigotry has no place at Tynecastle at all.

The folk that feel they need to abuse certain players for whatever reason can GTF as  well- ffs they are our players!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

This isn't how these things work, he is backing them up. He said his wife and his brother heard these racist comments. That's 'backing it up'. I understand you're probably only looking to protect the reputation of our club/fans. But it's important for us to acknowledge there are still issues like this and try to work on them.

I get it, its obviously true but what i dont understand is why he didnt report it to the club, so it could be dealt with internally.

Nice of him to go to the press and give us a bad rep. 

Lazy arsehole. 

letsalldothebeattie

If this claim is true then a section of our support are a disgrace and need to have a look at themselves. There is no place for racism in Football let alone at Hearts, and it’s even sadder that a small minority of our support have driven a player out the club because of this. 

Im not saying it’s true and I’m not saying he’s making it up but from where I sit in the main stand I haven’t seen or heard any racial comments made about or made toward Isma or any other players of colour. The worst I’ve heard and I’ve said it myself is calling him a lazy barsteward because at times in games he was just that. 

3 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

You doth protest too much! 

I just like fairness Des my man. It is what I am about.

Sending people to the tower based on an accusation is in no way fair.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
Just now, MacPhee said:

I get it, its obviously true but what i dont understand is why he didnt report it to the club, so it could be dealt with internally.

Nice of him to go to the press and give us a bad rep. 

Lazy arsehole. 

I also don't think anyone is in a position to criticise someone's response to any form of abuse they suffer.

50 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Good old trial by social media. Gotta love it.

You're having a ****ing nightmare on this thread bud 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

I'd send them to the tower if there were multiple corroborations of the accusation. That is what we have here.

Just now, Spencer said:

You're having a ****ing nightmare on this thread bud 

I'm one of the only ones not jumping on any bandwagons and wanting proof.  My bad.

31 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

For someone that spends their entire online existence demanding fairness redm I am saddened to see you jump on this bandwagon. I simply like to use at least a modicum of fairness in these situations.   

Let us think pragmatically here ok.

·         This is one man’s claim (who he personally never actually heard) ,so really one woman’s claim.  I am still allowed to use the terms ‘man’ and ‘woman’ with you I hope.  Not sure if this will be deemed offensive to 0.0000001% of the forum.    Wtf are you on about?

·         There are many racists on the planet    

·         There are many people who play race cards and falsely accuse   Are there? Many? Provide statistical evidence please.

·         Hearts have racist fans, like all clubs and all walks of life in EVERY country (without exception).   So what? Nobody's saying it's a problem exclusive to HMFC. 

·         Isma left pissed off with the club ·       Sounds it. I'd be pissed off too if I'd been treated like this. 

No other non-white player is making such allegations  -   So what?

Now, taking all the above into consideration is it fair for me to actually want proof of this incident (s)?   Posters have provided evidence throughout this thread.

Or should we just send people to the Tower with every accusation? I mean come on ffs.

His claim could be very true and it could also be very untrue.  Note : I never once used the term “lying”, I  just like to be fair – surely you appreciate that?  Is it fair to automatically assume he might be lying or that all the people on this thread might be lying? Is that how your version of fairness begins? At the position that everybody is probably not telling the truth?

Jeezo i8. 

Couple of my mates said they’ve heard stuff from behind them, think they sit section D or E lower.

Edit: They did last year, but on reflection may have moved into the new stand.

As redm said, some people will feel intimidated standing up to someone already behaving in a highly aggressive manner.

Just now, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

I also don't think anyone is in a position to criticise someone's response to any form of abuse they suffer.

True. 

Just a bit pissed off by it all. 

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

I'll be honest when I first read the story I thought he wasn't telling the truth. That's probably because I didn't want it to be true and the fact I just don't understand hating someone cause of the colour of their skin. However quite a few respected posters have said they've heard the same thing. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
Just now, MacPhee said:

True. 

Just a bit pissed off by it all. 

I think we all are. It's 2018 it's truely disappointing and unfortunately unsurprising that some people are still of a certain mentality.

Just now, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

I think we all are. It's 2018 it's truely disappointing and unfortunately unsurprising that some people are still of a certain mentality.

Absolutely moronic behaviour. 

The problem is deeper than anyone could imagine as well, hemmed in to generations and very difficult to eradicate.. 

5 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I'm one of the only ones not jumping on any bandwagons and wanting proof.  My bad.

Like I say - a ****ing nightmare 

I'm scrolling through past threads and I can't seem to find the "I saw Isma racially abused at the game today".

Can someone please help me out?

I have never heard anything racial being shouted where I sit, if I did I would hope the security or police would deal with them and they would be issued with a lifetime ban. It's very sad to hear that Isma suffered and I hope Budge issues a statement to all that this behaviour is completely unacceptable. If any fans hear anything in future I would hope they inform security if they don't want to confront them. My 2 boys are half Nigerian, they've had a season ticket for 4 years in section T, and love going to the footie, I'm sure they would be very upset if they heard uneducated fans shouting abuse at players just because they are black. It's disgusting.

Just now, i8hibsh said:

I'm scrolling through past threads and I can't seem to find the "I saw Isma racially abused at the game today".

Can someone please help me out?

Look for one the threads after the killie game at murrayfield 

1 hour ago, brux said:

I have to say I have not heard any racist comments.  Sectarian stuff however I still hear most games

I've not personally heard anything that involved actual racist terms for quite some time, however there is a guy who, until recently, sat not far behind me, who would shout abuse at any of our black players whenever they made the slightest mistake, but never uttered a thing when any of our other players made mistakes, even if they were absolute howlers. His motives were obviously racist, but not really something that could be reported. 

Thankfully, he hasn't been there for a while. 

Francis Albert

Doesn't come as a surprise to me but a few things puzzle me.

For the last few years the occasional racist remark in my area of the main stand has immediately been shouted down by other fans. Why did this not happen here?

Did Goncalves or any of the fans who heard it report it to the club (or, in the case of fans, stewards) and if not why not?

Why given so many heard it did it take the EEN article to trigger a multi-page JKB thread on the topic?

I assume the club will talk to our current black players to see if they or their relatives have suffered or are suffering similarly.

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Did Goncalves or any of the fans who heard it report it to the club (or, in the case of fans, stewards) and if not why not?

Why given so many heard it did it take the EEN article to trigger a multi-page JKB thread on the topic?

This is my gripe. An official complaint should have been raised. 

When I saw the article this morning it made me sick to my stomach.

Whatever you may think of Isma as a player, to abuse him on grounds of race is absolutely abhorrent, to do so in earshot of his family compounds it.

Whether we like it or not, there are way too many nasties within our support (racists, religious bigots and sub humans who feel their awful behaviour is justified because they "support" the club). I would even say the problem with these idiots is even increasing, certainly since the "Championship" season.

It is sometimes embarrassing to be in a Hearts support and I have found myself in potential bother on several occasions when I have dared to confront them. But confront them I will, even if my fellow supporters fail to back me up (as usually happens).

Any steps the club / police / steward take I will support, but the best way to rid the support of the low lifes is at the time they are commits these acts / singing these songs, but we need to do so in groups, for one day someone will be seriously hurt in trying to do so alone.

Heart of Midlothian is a world famous club with a history to be proud of. These idiots must be identified and banned for good, for the sake of our history and our reputation

maroonlegions

Vermin fans all coming out the wood work about some Hearts fans racist  comments regarding Isma .

Tell me there was no racist comments directed at Sir Rudolf when he gave them the 5-1 hand gesture.

27858139_828537430651955_2307275841159933010_n[1].jpg

And then we had the Thumb in a certain bar signing a certain song about Rudi before a derby. 

3 hours ago, kimosavi said:

Find it hard to believe any hearts fans would condone racial shouts at our players and not be challenged or reported to security

"All it takes is for a good man to do nothing . . . ."

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, Texia said:

That’s quite an accusation that you don’t think Hearts would have taken action against racial abuse of one of our players from our own supporters. 

He comes across in the article as having a bit of a chip on his shoulder as well, his complaints about getting booed and then racially abused seem to mix together and also I find it hard to believe that he didn’t want to report it but then makes it the main topic of his first post Hearts interview. 

He definitely does have a chip on his shoulder. For his weak lazy peformances he rightly imo received some stick and his petulant ear cupping when he scored doesn’t endear you to your own supporters I’m afraid. 

I have my doubts he was called anything racist, that stuff doesn’t happen at Tynecastle anymore for me. I haven’t heard a racist comment for years. 

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

I question if he personally was racially abused. 

A day in 2018:

Accuse and be believed.

A fair world:

Accuse and provide proof.

In this scenario in question a guy who played for us (half arsed most of the time) leaves the club then starts throwing arouund heinous allegations. Most people on this thread believe him because they know that there are racists out there. 

I want proof of his personal claims. I need more than "his wife heard it". And I hope to **** no-one on this thread ever sits on a jury. You have prejudice based on the fact there are racists out there. Shame on you. As in well there are racists out there so this must be true. Seriously have you any idea how wrong that is?

Note: this thread is only about one man's personal allegation. Please do not forget this.

you said there are racists in the Hearts support, and most people have said that Goncalves took a lot of abuse. It's not exactly a huge jump to think that some of that abuse would be racist. I repeat, no person has been accused of racist abuse. How can you get proof of the abuse?? 

Just now, jack D and coke said:

He definitely does have a chip on his shoulder. For his weak lazy peformances he rightly imo received some stick and his petulant ear cupping when he scored doesn’t endear you to your own supporters I’m afraid. 

I have my doubts he was called anything racist, that stuff doesn’t happen at Tynecastle anymore for me. I haven’t heard a racist comment for years. 

Well, there are fans on here who have heard it!

So they are lying, are they?

RalphieCifaretto
18 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

We have a dim witted, vile element in our support.

There is no denying it.

Even at the hibs game ,in a pub I was lucky to hear the full rendition of Edinburgh is wonderful except a, b and c, quickly followed by the gid auld version of hello, hello, There was also two union jack in the crowd that were singing  it.

It's 2018 and  the folk that say "if true" and "I didn't hear anything"  are having a jolly.

We have an element that need to go elsewhere.

We do seem to pick a player and decide that's it as well- in the last few years, Sammon, Prince and Goncalves stand out ( along with Robbie and the plane  stunt). I could be wrong but young Ross is getting dogs along with Djoum at the moment. I am sure both can't wait for Martin to get a game , he'll go straight in to number 1

We do like to have a boo boy, don't see how this benefits anyone. Craig was one result from the guns being turned on him by some.

An element of our "support" need to get a grip.

Folk will defend  their actions but it's 2018 and racism and bigotry has no place at Tynecastle at all.

The folk that feel they need to abuse certain players for whatever reason can GTF as  well- ffs they are our players!

Good post.

I don't find this surprising as at the Motherwell game recently I heard some racist abuse aimed at Buaben in section T of the new stand - and these claims by Isma need to be taken seriously by Hearts and all efforts should be made to eradicate the absolute morons - albeit a small minority - of so called supporters from Tynecastle. It's disappointing when we are starting to get a lot of things right off the park we are held back by these idiots.

Also still cringe when Hearts fans belt out 'Hello, hello with use of the word F***** -  it's vile bigotry and is used by the sevco knuckle draggers and associates us to them.

Also never bought into the 'lazy' myth that surrounded Isma - load of pish that.

People that deny this stuff happens need to get a ****ing grip.  Funnily enough, it's always the same people that "never hear" any sectarian elements from some of our support, making sarcastic comments about "if this is true" or "what did you do about it" in some asinine comment that doesn't help anyone.

Newsflash: Some of our fans are absolute scumbags, and absolutely every single game you hear something that makes you ashamed to be a part of it.  There is no way that people don't hear it going on around them unless they choose to ignore it, or pretend it was something else.  These sort of people are incredibly quick to fly off the handle if Djoum makes a mistake, but "one of our guid young Scottish laddies" could present a goal on a silver platter and everything would just be peachy.  It would be unlucky rather than shite.

Racial abuse happens at Tynecastle.  People joking that players like Buaben and Goncalves "all look the same" are racist.  People who don't applaud a black player scoring are racist.  People who make snarky comments about "going back where you came from" are racist.  It's a very small minority, but unfortunately these are also the people that shout the loudest.    It is not, however, something that just happens at Tynecastle, and other clubs will have their knuckledraggers as well, but I would expect better from us.

If you take part in this sort of racist chat, then **** off somewhere else.  If you deny this sort of thing takes place, then **** off somewhere else. If you directly hear someone shouting this nonsense at the match, get them reported and get them the **** out of our stadium.  

We do not need publicity like this.  Absolutely disgusting.

2 hours ago, adayinmay said:

Really depressing read. 

The sectarian and racist issue is on the rise it seems.  ... and amongst our fans too. 

I've heard it more this season than in any other in the last 10. 

We need much more support from stewards to help deal with it. Having more qualified stewards would help. 

Twice this season I've tried asking a guy behind me to stop racist shouts and it just ends in a blown up argument with his mates backing him up. Became me against 4. When you're sitting there with your kid and you're threatened with having your head smashed it's no fun. 

It shouldn't and can't just be up to the fans to police ourselves. 

The club needs to help. 

The rise of UKIP/Brexit/EDL/Britain First in the last few years has made this a growing issue accros the UK. At Hearts it is a small minority using openly racist abuse however there are a lot more who describe every black as eg 'lazy' no matter their  playing style or work rate. 

Footballfirst

As someone pointed out earlier, in a crowd of 16,000 we will have a small proportion of numpties who are openly racist or sectarian bigots.

I don't think I would be over estimating the problem if I said that 1% are likely to hold strongly racist views. That's 160 people at each game. If only 10% of them express their views vocally, that is still 16 people shouting racist abuse, and why some people have heard it and some not.

I would like Scott Wilson to amend his "Unacceptable Conduct" script that he reads out before each game to give more encouragement for fans who witness such conduct to report it to stewards and the club, to enable action to be taken against the perpetrators. It can be as simple as noting rows, seat numbers, male/female, age, wearing glasses, beards etc. If there are multiple complaints I'm sure the identities could be cross checked with CCTV footage and action taken.

32 minutes ago, kila said:

Were there any stewards near by?

Racial abuse like that is illegal, and the stewards should be documenting that. Or maybe they did and that guy got dealt with afterwards.

Not that I could see.

2 minutes ago, XB52 said:

you said there are racists in the Hearts support, and most people have said that Goncalves took a lot of abuse. It's not exactly a huge jump to think that some of that abuse would be racist. I repeat, no person has been accused of racist abuse. How can you get proof of the abuse?? 

Of course it is likely to be true.  But it could also not be true. Agree?

My heart tells me with sadness that it probably is true but the cynic in me tells me he is trying to mitigate his shite performances. 

This thread kinda sums up society nowadays for me and this is where I take issue.  One person makes an allegation and instantly with no thought people jump right aboard.  I don’t live like that and never want to.

33 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Really? You think every single claim of racism is true and justified? 

Wowsers.

You honestly think that’s more likely than the his family just happening to sit next to one of the many racist imbeciles in our support.

I would rather he spoke to the club internally and gave them a chance to deal with it, it's poor to come out after and say this is the reason he left.

Yes we have a minority of racist arseholes at the club - just like every other club, no need to use an interview to try and tarnish your ex employers reputation. 

Racism and casual racism is rife in Scotland. Hear it pretty much multiple times daily. Especially in poorer areas.

I would love to be an upstanding citizen and challenge everyone on thier language, but it really isn’t possible. Never mind the fact that these people are clearly challenged individuals, you don’t know what they are capable of, and could potentially be putting yourself in danger.

Far right wing politics only helps to fuel this hatred.

There is definitely opportunity in a football ground to stamp this out within our support. Maybe hearts could create some form of task group, made up of season ticket holders dotted around the ground, somehow identifiable to other supporters, that may discourage these idiots from spouting thier pish, knowing they WILL be challenged by these ambassadors. Fans could apply, the more fans signed up the better. 

3 hours ago, Thommo414 said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/esmael-goncalves-claims-minority-of-hearts-fans-racially-abused-him-1-4688586

Just read this. Glad he pointed out that it was definitely only a minority of the support but shows just how much the man was up against it here and I can honestly understand why he hated the place.

And you believe this guy!!   To me it is a cheap shot - playing the racist abuse card is just so easy for him.

I have watched games from locations in the stand close to where players families sit and I have NEVER heard anybody call him a "Black" anything - "lazy or useless B********" yes, but never any racist abuse.  He got a hard time from our support and this is his payback!

If this was happening why did he not report it to the Club - he would know that Ann Budge would jump right on top of this kind of thing!

I'm calling B/S on this from a failed player with a chip on his shoulder!

The Hibsman are delighted to run this story and stand by for the BBC making a huge issue of it

2 minutes ago, Ryder said:

You honestly think that’s more likely than the his family just happening to sit next to one of the many racist imbeciles in our support.

As I have just said it is likely true. The word likely however means there is reasonable doubt. Agreed?

I'm going to be really cynical here and ask whether he'd have gained financially by reporting this to Hearts and having it fully investigated with the hope the culprit(s) could be located and dealt with by the club? This, imo, is how it should have been dealt with.

Then I'd ask whether the Scotsman/EEN paid him for the interview?

Given that he refers to the cash in Uzbekistan early in his interview, it may well be his motivation for revealing this so dramatically.

Either way I'm disappointed he never gave the club a chance here and I'm sure Ann Budge, Craig Levein and especially Austin McPhee will feel the same.

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Reasonable doubt

There's at least 6 or 7 people on this thread saying they have witnessed it first hand at Tynecastle.

His wife, brother and other family members have seen/heard it too.

2 hours ago, ScottieMac17 said:

I have noticed some of the same sort of things directed at Prince, yeh he isn’t the best player but a few times Iv seen people slate him and then if he does something well it’s not applauded. I have heard some ‘useless b***k c***’ directed at Prince and Isma during games I have attended. 

Unfortunately racism is still around, we need to do everything to stop it! It’s a disgusting thing.

I have heard it towards Prince last season and I challenged it, to which the big hard guy shrunk back into his seat. Honestly I should have reported it as well as shouting it down. Had he repeated it I would have. I hadn’t seen him before or since, so not sure if he was a regular.

The one thing that did quite shock me was that I was the only one that did challenge it. I do believe that the best way of weeding this behaviour out is through doing it ourselves. 

I also appreciate that a lot if people don’t like conflict and prefer to stay quiet, but the more people making it clear it won’t be tolerated the easier it gets. 

It is a shame that Isma didn’t report it to the club at the time too as I’m sure the club would have dealt with it appropriately. 

19 minutes ago, Jambosammy said:

I have never heard anything racial being shouted where I sit, if I did I would hope the security or police would deal with them and they would be issued with a lifetime ban. It's very sad to hear that Isma suffered and I hope Budge issues a statement to all that this behaviour is completely unacceptable. If any fans hear anything in future I would hope they inform security if they don't want to confront them. My 2 boys are half Nigerian, they've had a season ticket for 4 years in section T, and love going to the footie, I'm sure they would be very upset if they heard uneducated fans shouting abuse at players just because they are black. It's disgusting.

Theres a plea (which I feel it is) at the start of every game to refrain from various behaviours. Scott Wilson reads it out at the start. Sadly some choose to ignore it. 

7 minutes ago, tian447 said:

People that deny this stuff happens need to get a ****ing grip.  Funnily enough, it's always the same people that "never hear" any sectarian elements from some of our support, making sarcastic comments about "if this is true" or "what did you do about it" in some asinine comment that doesn't help anyone.

Newsflash: Some of our fans are absolute scumbags, and absolutely every single game you hear something that makes you ashamed to be a part of it.  There is no way that people don't hear it going on around them unless they choose to ignore it, or pretend it was something else.  These sort of people are incredibly quick to fly off the handle if Djoum makes a mistake, but "one of our guid young Scottish laddies" could present a goal on a silver platter and everything would just be peachy.  It would be unlucky rather than shite.

Racial abuse happens at Tynecastle.  People joking that players like Buaben and Goncalves "all look the same" are racist.  People who don't applaud a black player scoring are racist.  People who make snarky comments about "going back where you came from" are racist.  It's a very small minority, but unfortunately these are also the people that shout the loudest.    It is not, however, something that just happens at Tynecastle, and other clubs will have their knuckledraggers as well, but I would expect better from us.

If you take part in this sort of racist chat, then **** off somewhere else.  If you deny this sort of thing takes place, then **** off somewhere else. If you directly hear someone shouting this nonsense at the match, get them reported and get them the **** out of our stadium.  

We do not need publicity like this.  Absolutely disgusting.

Are you seriously expecting me to believe that there were Hearts fans in the ground who did not applaud that goal scored by Mitchell on Saturday????  Really????

I remember the game away to Raith a couple of years ago when we all turned on a guy for racially abusing , an ex Hearts player , that’s how we deal with these people . 

6 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Reasonable doubt

There is no doubt. Heard by multiple people on here. Not sure why you are continuing down this road but it doesn't show you in a particularly favourable light.

2 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Theres a plea (which I feel it is) at the start of every game to refrain from various behaviours. Scott Wilson reads it out at the start. Sadly some choose to ignore it. 

Have you heard them shouting racist abuse at Tynecastle?  When and where do they sit??

10 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

And you believe this guy!!   To me it is a cheap shot - playing the racist abuse card is just so easy for him.

I have watched games from locations in the stand close to where players families sit and I have NEVER heard anybody call him a "Black" anything - "lazy or useless B********" yes, but never any racist abuse.  He got a hard time from our support and this is his payback!

If this was happening why did he not report it to the Club - he would know that Ann Budge would jump right on top of this kind of thing!

I'm calling B/S on this from a failed player with a chip on his shoulder!

The Hibsman are delighted to run this story and stand by for the BBC making a huge issue of it

There's like a dozen or so people on this thread alone that have heard it first hand.

I personally haven't but given the utterly over the top criticism he got I can certainly believe it.

3 hours ago, kimosavi said:

If people have heard racial abuse and i am not having a go but.... 

What did you do about it???? 

EXACTLY!!

Archived