Goncalves - some Hearts fans in racist abuse claims

Swanny17

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/esmael-goncalves-claims-minority-of-hearts-fans-racially-abused-him-1-4688586

Just read this. Glad he pointed out that it was definitely only a minority of the support but shows just how much the man was up against it here and I can honestly understand why he hated the place.

Interesting 

https://t.co/RFMmQC0Zdu

First of, the ‘minority’ of Hearts fans who subjected him and his family to this abuse should take a long walk of a short cliff.  Inexcusable.

However, what is also inexcusable is punishing the majority of Hearts fans by going to the Edinburgh press with this.  Only served to damage the club who gave him a home and a platform to play at a decent level.  As the article progresses, it does start to read like the racism angle is complimented by trying to excuse his poor form and there being lots of money on offer in Uzbekistan.  Moves very quickly from references of being called “****ing black” to “****ing shit”.  Very different things!  

Why move over to Uzbekistan to escape racism? It’s probably worse over there!

I’m not denying there is a prehistoric element to our support, but blaming the minority of our supporters for his drop in form is bullshit imo.

Expecting pelters for this...

I just made an attempt to start a thread on this but you Must've posted as I was still writing. It is absolutely shocking and its honestly the most disgusting way to treat someone. Hope fans over at his new club are a bit more respectful than some of the wanks we have here 

It’s 100% true. No idea if his family sat anywhere near the two different seats in different stands that I’ve occupied since he’s been at Hearts, but I’ve heard him called a black ******* on plenty of occasions. Also heard him called a coon at Hampden in the League Cup Final. We have some ****ing scum in our support.

If this is true then it really is sad. It is 2018 ffs. Really hate the thought of this. But as I said, IF it is true.

Just now, i8hibsh said:

If this is true then it really is sad. It is 2018 ffs. Really hate the thought of this. But as I said, IF it is true.

Of course it’s true ffs. 

Find it hard to believe any hearts fans would condone racial shouts at our players and not be challenged or reported to security

Obviously completely unacceptable, very poor for the club.

If he didn't like it here he could well be in for a shock in Uzbekistan though !

3 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Interesting 

https://t.co/RFMmQC0Zdu

First of, the ‘minority’ of Hearts fans who subjected him and his family to this abuse should take a long walk of a short cliff.  Inexcusable.

However, what is also inexcusable is punishing the majority of Hearts fans by going to the Edinburgh press with this.  Only served to damage the club who gave him a home and a platform to play at a decent level.  As the article progresses, it does start to read like the racism angle is complimented by trying to excuse his poor form and there being lots of money on offer in Uzbekistan.  Moves very quickly from references of being called “****ing black” to “****ing shit”.  Very different things!  

Why move over to Uzbekistan to escape racism? It’s probably worse over there!

I’m not denying there is a prehistoric element to our support, but blaming the minority of our supporters for his drop in form is bullshit imo.

Expecting pelters for this...

Its not inexcusable at all ffs. He was racially abused in front of his wife and kids. No point hiding from it or trying to blame him for speaking out about it. We to start accepting we have folk like that in our support and hopefully deal with it.

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Why of course?

Because Ive heard it happen plenty of times with my own ears.

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Obviously there is a large element of hearsay within the whole thing but from hearing the vitriol he took from the stands week after week, I don't find it hard to believe we've some sections of  the support mentally unhinged enough to think it's acceptable to chuck racist abuse his way 

Said on the other thread find it hard to believe any hearts fan to condone this at a game or not challenge an idiot or report to security

If you are hearing stuff like this then we need these idiots punted. No place for it at tynecastle

1 minute ago, Ryder said:

Its not inexcusable at all ffs. He was racially abused in front of his wife and kids. No point hiding from it or trying to blame him for speaking out about it. We to start accepting we have folk like that in our support and hopefully deal with it.

Poor choice of words on my part chief, you’re absolutely right in what you said.  Breaks my heart that these problems still exist in our club, but equally that us good folk get tarred with it.

1 minute ago, kimosavi said:

Said on the other thread find it hard to believe any hearts fan to condone this at a game or not challenge an idiot or report to security

If you are hearing stuff like this then we need these idiots punted. No place for it at tynecastle

This.  I’ve called it out a few times myself at games.  Stewards are out of their depth though.

4 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Because Ive heard it happen plenty of times with my own ears.

I have not. 

I am not naive enough to think it does not happen but I certainly do not want to live in a society that convicts a minority of people of a crime just because they have been accused of it.

kingantti1874

Should have highlighted it whilst he was here.. Absolutely positive if he had highlighted this type of thing in the vicinity of his family the club would ha e taken every measure necessary to deal with it it.. Pretty strange to only highlight a grievance after you've left.. Even stranger to try Nd resolve that problem by going to Uzbekistan 

Jean Louis Valois

Shocked at reading this, hand on heart I've never heard any racist abuse from any fellow Hearts fans around me. And to be honest I'd find it hard to just sit there and listen to it if I did. Surprised these people haven't been reported by other fans before now. Shocking if true this.

10 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

I just made an attempt to start a thread on this but you Must've posted as I was still writing. It is absolutely shocking and its honestly the most disgusting way to treat someone. Hope fans over at his new club are a bit more respectful than some of the wanks we have here 

With all due respect thommo uzbekistan is going to be worse than anything he hears in Scotland unfortunatlley for the lad wish him well.

10 minutes ago, Ryder said:

It’s 100% true. No idea if his family sat anywhere near the two different seats in different stands that I’ve occupied since he’s been at Hearts, but I’ve heard him called a black ******* on plenty of occasions. Also heard him called a coon at Hampden in the League Cup Final. We have some ****ing scum in our support.

We do.

They’re not going to stop being dicks spontaneously though.  They need reported and banned.

1 minute ago, kimosavi said:

With all due respect thommo uzbekistan is going to be worse than anything he hears in Scotland unfortunatlley for the lad wish him well.

I'm not necessarily doubting it, but I really don't know anything about the place or the people 

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Should have highlighted it whilst he was here.. Absolutely positive if he had highlighted this type of thing in the vicinity of his family the club would ha e taken every measure necessary to deal with it it.. Pretty strange to only highlight a grievance after you've left.. Even stranger to try Nd resolve that problem by going to Uzbekistan 

I sit close to where the players families etc. have been sitting in the main stand. I’ve heard players, including Isma, being abused unacceptably. I’ve heard racist abuse directed at one of our players (pretty sure it was him). 

Not that strange only highlighting after he has left. Perhaps he just wanted to get away from the club, and not making a big fuss made that easier for him? 

No surprise his form dipped towards the end of his run. He definitely never got the patience from fans that other players had, and I did hear some unsavoury words used against him. I’m impressed that he seemed quite calm in him interview, and turned down the chance to properly go to town on the club and or fans.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
16 minutes ago, Ryder said:

I think it's the same for pretty much every club. No club is safe from the spangles who choose to support them. Some feral old woman near me with no teeth racially abuses opposition black players every game.

2 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

If people have heard racial abuse and i am not having a go but.... 

What did you do about it???? 

In the particular instance I refer to, the guy in front of me reported to a steward, as he was able to pinpoint the person who had shouted it. 

7 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Very good question? 

1 minute ago, Section Q said:

But he still recommended the club to our on loan midfielder from Sion.

Aye? I thought that was Jose Goncalves...

3 minutes ago, Section Q said:

But he still recommended the club to our on loan midfielder from Sion.

He didn’t though did he?  It was big Jose.

11 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

11 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Could be right chaps..... my mistake....!

I personally haven't heard any racial stuff from where I sit so hopefully it's an isolated incident. Good luck in Uzbekistan though..!

15 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Post about it on a fans forum.

We really do have some shitebag cretins in our support.

Anyone hearing racial abuse should report it. Take note of who it is, seat numbers etc and get in touch with the club / police.

disgusting and shameful. Even though it’s apparently only a few it’s disgraceful for our club to be dragged down by it.

i don’t understand why he never went to the club or even police about it at the time though ? It would of been dealt with.

if I ever heard anyone around me come out with that filth I wouldn’t sit and do nothing.

Thought Police

Not surprised at all. Some of the casual racism from our fans is quite sad. This was mentioned on a couple of threads, and too many people were quick to shut it down.

Carl Fredrickson

It is a disgrace that he and his family have suffered such abuse. Not only has it harmed them but it also harms OUR club - both in reputation and the impact on players. 

Why do so many folk criticise our own players at games rather than encourage? Surely folk realise that criticism (let alone abuse) isnt going to help our players.

28 minutes ago, Ryder said:

So it is inexcusable. i.e. there can be no excuse for it.

26 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Poor choice of words on my part chief, you’re absolutely right in what you said.  Breaks my heart that these problems still exist in our club, but equally that us good folk get tarred with it.

Your choice of words was correct. It absolutely is inexcusable.

Dave McCreery's knee

His comment that his brother felt some fans were not happy because it was him that had scored backs up his position for me. I have said it before on here that a few guys sitting along from me slated him all game at Murrayfield and then didnt celebrate or even applaud when he scored a really good goal (cut in from left, scored with his right). 

Thought Police
Just now, Irufushi said:

Provide evidence plz. 

Are you one of these people who denies it happens?

6 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Anyone hearing racial abuse should report it. Take note of who it is, seat numbers etc and get in touch with the club / police.

disgusting and shameful. Even though it’s apparently only a few it’s disgraceful for our club to be dragged down by it.

i don’t understand why he never went to the club or even police about it at the time though ? It would of been dealt with.

if I ever heard anyone around me come out with that filth I wouldn’t sit and do nothing.

I agree with the sentiment. However, it is quite possible that people will hear things being said, without having sufficient information to take things to the police. For example, with thousands of people on the stadium, it can be hard to pinpoint who said something. 

As for Isma, sounds like it just made him want to leave (understandably). Perhaps he thought not raising it officially was easiest way for that to happen. 

Thought Police
Just now, Dave McCreery's knee said:

His comment that his brother felt some fans were not happy because it was him that had scored backs up his position for me. I have said it before on here that a few guys sitting along from me slated him all game at Murrayfield and then didnt celebrate or even applaud when he scored a really good goal (cut in from left, scored with his right). 

This is my experience too

Archived