Goncalves - some Hearts fans in racist abuse claims

Swanny17

13 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I question if he personally was racially abused. 

A day in 2018:

Accuse and be believed.

A fair world:

Accuse and provide proof.

In this scenario in question a guy who played for us (half arsed most of the time) leaves the club then starts throwing arouund heinous allegations. Most people on this thread believe him because they know that there are racists out there. 

I want proof of his personal claims. I need more than "his wife heard it". And I hope to **** no-one on this thread ever sits on a jury. You have prejudice based on the fact there are racists out there. Shame on you. As in well there are racists out there so this must be true. Seriously have you any idea how wrong that is?

Note: this thread is only about one man's personal allegation. Please do not forget this.

You're choosing the wrong story to make a point about fake news.

A minority of racists go to Hearts matches. That isn't even debatable.

But in this case specifically, how many different witnesses do you require before you believe the word of a guy who says he's been racially abused? Put a number on it.

I've skimmed the start and end of this thread and I already count a few different people who have heard racial abuse directed toward Isma.

There is nothing in any way dubious about what Isma says.

Your comments, however, reek.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Only thing I heard was a lady telling her wee boy that Isma had been eating too much KFC, it's the kind of thing where if I'd said something she'd just act the fool and pretend she didn't mean it like that 

With Isma, Djoum and Buaben I have noticed that some in the crowd are almost on the edge of their seat waiting for them to do something wrong so that they can give it the "FFS insert name", tends to be middle aged folk who think they're too old to learn right from wrong 

I was sat in front of a group of guys like this before I moved last season. Never said anything racist but only directed abuse at Oshaniwa, Buaben, Djoum and Goncalves. If none of them were on the pitch they'd be as quiet as anything. 

2 minutes ago, Nobreath said:

What part of the ground do you sit in? I've heard racist outbursts at some point every where I've sat at Tynie. Normally only from the one moron at a time but I have heard it plenty times.

I've just noticed Section N. I sat in section N2 for three seasons and heard it plenty times. Glad it's all stopped now. 

Section N mate.

As i said, have never heard anything racially offensive. And there has been some arseholes roundabout me!!

Just now, ScottieMac17 said:

Completely agree with that.

I've been to many a game where other players have been poor but get no stick, where Isma, Djoum or Buaben make one mistake and its open season for them getting abuse at them. 

I hear this too. It's prejudice in action.

2 minutes ago, ScottieMac17 said:

I've been to many a game where other players have been poor but get no stick, where Isma, Djoum or Buaben make one mistake and its open season for them getting abuse at them. 

Correct. It's ridiculous. There are folk that can't wait for the tiniest opportunity to start having a pop at them.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

You'd have to be a complete roaster to call Isma a liar in this situation, just because "you've never heard any racism". What we need to do is find the very few intolerant arseholes in our support and weed them out.

i8- if you reach the point in an argument when you can’t progress it without simply asserting that everyone else is lying, it’s probably not a particularly robust position to be taking. 

Isma’s lying, his wife is lying, his brother is lying, the press are lying, all the people on this thread who’ve heard racist comments or noticed racial prejudice are lying. Come on FFS. Seriously?

2 hours ago, kimosavi said:

Find it hard to believe any hearts fans would condone racial shouts at our players and not be challenged or reported to security

Do you? I don’t. 

A lot of folk don’t want to get involved, especially during a game.

I’d certainly have challenged it if I’d heard it. Plenty of “lazy *******s” but nothing racist.

Certainly not surprised. We, like a lot of clubs have an ignorant element

3 minutes ago, ScottieMac17 said:

Happens all the time. Regularly see folk saying unlucky to players like Mitchell or Cochrane etc when they miss place a pass but when it’s Djoum or Bauben it’s “ffs you useless ****”

So Make Some Noise..

I actually remember the game in question, I'm sure it was St Johnstone at home as I sit in section S in one of the rows just off the hospitality crowd and recall seeing his family. He had an absolute stinker of a second half and was getting boo'd for his effort. His family looked really upset with the whole situation and his brother (was wearing Isma's hearts jacket) was looking around etc. Whilst I obviously don't condone the tw@ts who think it's acceptable to shout racist things, I do think this is all blown out of proportion and it was literally just a small number of knuckle draggers around where they sat muttering daft things. This news story suggests we have an issue with a significant (yes minority) of our fanbase.

4 minutes ago, Section G The Place To Be said:

I completely get the comment about the security and agree they are a joke at the best of times. There are police and the club itself though. 

Im not looking to say you are the problem but if people like yourself hearbthese things especially if as you said it’s been for a long period of time then really your not helping rid the club of these morons by staying silent. Especially if you know who is doing it or where they sit. 

Would you walk past someone that was trapped and Injured and not report it? 

No of course I wouldn't and I don't see the similarity between that and ignoring racist abuse when there are people in the vicinity who's job it is to deal with it and who's failure to do that job makes everyone else wary of taking it on themselves. There are circumstances in which I would challenge that kind of thing directly and have done. At a football match where emotions are high and you don't know who you are dealing with or who is with them or what their response will be. Nah its not my place to do something about that.

2 minutes ago, redm said:

I don’t think they meant that it’s exclusive, just that it’s a common accusation for our black players. And now I think of it, it totally is. 

Isma got the lazy tag because he came back from pre-season well overweight and he's still not shifted it. Looking at photos when he joined Hearts and when he left, massive difference.

Maybe there are racists who just want to shout at any of our black players calling them lazy, I've not heard that in the stands yet.

Djoum is another who until very recently didn't look all that interested. Injury hindering perhaps, or just out of form. Be a shame for remarks like that to be filed under 'common to accuse black players of being lazy' though. Maybe that is racist in its own right - treating any negativity toward's a black player's efforts with more eyebrow raising than negative towards a white player's efforts.

...a bit disco
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Correct. It's ridiculous. There are folk that can't wait for the tiniest opportunity to start having a pop at them.

My neighbour had an argument with the group behind us for this very thing. Even insinuated that it was a hidden agenda of racism. No reply to that one.

51 Shirts -Moments in Time

Racism on a small scale is alive and kicking amongst Hearts supporters at home and away games. Find it hard to believe that any supporter who attends regularly has not heard it first hand.

Just now, kila said:

Isma got the lazy tag because he came back from pre-season well overweight and he's still not shifted it. Looking at photos when he joined Hearts and when he left, massive difference.

Myth.

image.jpg

nintchdbpict0002992419331.jpg

13823977.jpg

William H. Bonney
18 minutes ago, redm said:

Friend of mine just pointed out that it’s nearly always black players described as being “lazy”. 

Interesting observation.

I wonder if the lazy tag is common due to comments by ron Atkinson. 

Either way it's disgraceful. 

Wonder if any of the other players not from Scotland have suffered racial abuse whilst playing in scotland. I'm. Including all players from all clubs. 

Are there morons who attend football matches. Yes. 

Don't believe everything you read in a paper. 

Not playing well doesn't mean you should be abused. However doesn't mean your immune to criticism. 

If you take things to heart when things goes tough, it says a lot about your character. 

31 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Sad as ****! 

Have we ever had this sort of co.plaint before from one of our black players?

I don't think so?

Very strange that Isma has been targeted and not others, not as if he was a dreadful player. 

Wage thieves like Laryea Kingston never (not to my knowledge) had complaints about racism, which tells me it's most likely the young team (too young at the time?) who are the ones most likely dishing it out.

I’ve heard it directed at Kingston, Obua, Ngoo and Goncalves. 

Not a new problem. 

Racism is still a big problem in society. Therefore there will be racists in football crowds. 

Hopefully something that can be stamped out. 

I was at Tynecastle for a show racism the red card event a few years ago. Chatting to Osman Sow about the issue had a massive impact on some of our boys - really opened their eyes to the impact words can have even on outwardly confident professionals athletes. 

Just now, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

You'd have to be a complete roaster to call Isma a liar in this situation, just because "you've never heard any racism". What we need to do is find the very few intolerant arseholes in our support and weed them out.

Totally disagree with your roaster claims. 

If its true Ismas family should back up there claims, where in the ground did they hear it, which game? 

Isma also needs to back up his instagram claim? i follow him on instagram and have seen nothing when looking at his pictures and reading the comments. 

He cant make a claim like that without backing it up. 

Yes i understand there is racists in all supports but as i said he cant make accusations like this without backing them up. 

Very fabricated IMO. If he was racially abused then why didn't he tell the club? 

Colonel Kurtz
5 minutes ago, redm said:

I don’t think they meant that it’s exclusive, just that it’s a common accusation for our black players. And now I think of it, it totally is. 

The perception was that djoum wasnt trying sinceafrican cup and isma threw in the towel to easily and gave up .

Bauben would also be cited for a lethargic casual approach when he was cauggt in possession for the fifth time

Walker. Juanma. Watt Martin eere called lazy recently 

Some people deem to be desperate to play the race card does nothing for the cause of rooting out racism

2 minutes ago, MacPhee said:

If its true Ismas family should back up there claims, where in the ground did they hear it, which game? 

Isma also needs to back up his instagram claim? i follow him on instagram and have seen nothing when looking at his pictures and reading the comments. 

Yes i understand there is racists in all supports but as i said he cant make accusations like this without backing them up. 

Very fabricated IMO. If he was racially abused then why didn't he tell the club? 

I heard it myself. I'm backing him up.

I personally haven't heard any racist comments in years at Tynie. Instead of seeing this as an attack on the club I think we should use this story as a reminder there is still plenty of work to do on this matter. 

I was there the day Hearts fans threw bananas on to the pitch at Mark Walters. We have come a long way since then. Education is the key. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

I hope this doesn't impact our chances of recruiting players in the future and if it does these idiots are undermining our future prospects of getting quality players who might happen to be black. Are they too thick to realize that!

4 minutes ago, jambojim said:

Racism on a small scale is alive and kicking amongst Hearts supporters at home and away games. Find it hard to believe that any supporter who attends regularly has not heard it first hand.

Spot on. 

IMO it's worse at away games though, when the 'hello hello', Union flag waving morons attend en masse

10 minutes ago, Section G The Place To Be said:

I completely get the comment about the security and agree they are a joke at the best of times. There are police and the club itself though. 

Im not looking to say you are the problem but if people like yourself hearbthese things especially if as you said it’s been for a long period of time then really your not helping rid the club of these morons by staying silent. Especially if you know who is doing it or where they sit. 

Helping someone that is trapped or injured is a completely different deal because you'll be helping someone that will appreciate the help.

Calling someone out for being a racist or bigot is generally met with an aggressive attitude because they don't appreciate you calling them a racist.

It cant just be the fans responsibility to police ourselves on this issue unless we are happy to return to the early 80's and start fighting each other again.

Calling out people for being racist always runs the risk of confrontation. Most people want to avoid that.

10 minutes ago, Section G The Place To Be said:

Helping someone that is trapped or injured is a completely different deal because you'll be helping someone that will appreciate the help.

Calling someone out for being a racist or bigot is generally met with an aggressive attitude because they don't appreciate you calling them a racist.

It cant just be the fans responsibility to police ourselves on this issue unless we are happy to return to the early 80's and start fighting each other again.

Calling out people for being racist always runs the risk of confrontation. Most people want to avoid that.

Yes there are racists in all areas of society.    Yes there are people around who are so grossly stupid so as to discriminate against a football player based solely on his race.    The gross stupidity of people should never be under estimated.    

Do I automatically believe a player when he says such things?    Not necessarily.     But do I believe the claims to be false?    Certainly not.      Without any other evidence I would tend to believe the guy making the claim but I would not treat it as an accepted fact.     There seems to be a fair weight of supporting anecdotal evidence in this case.

Ok Isma.   Sorry about the chronic imbeciles who racially abused you.    They are scum.    All the best in your career and good luck at avoiding racism where you have chosen to go to.   

3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I heard it myself. I'm backing him up.

Likewise. Along with players like Obua, Kingston, Dauda, Oshaniwa. 

Just now, MacPhee said:

Where in the ground and what game? 

P Upper. Ross County. A steward was stood about 6ft from me. I asked him if he had heard the same thing that I had just heard. He said yes and seat and row had been noted and would be passed onto the club.

What I find hard to believe is. so many folk have claimed to of  heard Racial abuse from our support directed at our own players, why did you not report this to the nearest Steward / Police officer or confront the individual?

Yes Racism is not to be tolerated at any level but for Isma not reporting the issue to the club I find strange. I am sure the club will be issuing a statement in due course.

10 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Do you? I don’t. 

A lot of folk don’t want to get involved, especially during a game.

I’d certainly have challenged it if I’d heard it. Plenty of “lazy *******s” but nothing racist.

Certainly not surprised. We, like a lot of clubs have an ignorant element

I was sat next to a drunk guy at Hamilton away earlier in the season and he not only used a racist phrase to abuse Isma but then corrected himself by using a second. To this day I feel pretty shit about not standing up to the guy.....he didn't come back for the second half, so luckily someone had the balls to report him. I will never let myself down like that again if faced with the same situation. 

Just now, Notts1874 said:

P Upper. Ross County. A steward was stood about 6ft from me. I asked him if he had heard the same thing that I had just heard. He said yes and seat and row had been noted and would be passed onto the club.

Fair enough. 

Just now, MacPhee said:

Where in the ground and what game? 

Hearts v Kilmarnock at Murrayfield. Some dick in the vicinity behind me somewhere was berating him for the entire game, constantly saying that they '****ing hated' him and at one point the second half he let a "black b*******" slip out before being sheepishly quiet for the rest of the match to avoid drawing attention to himself. Isma scored about 5 minutes later too which probably helped shut him up.

Also have heard him called a "useless black b*******" at Tynecastle in amongst a series of largely over the top moans. Can remember the exact game.

Homer and Barts

There is absolutely no place for racism at Tynie. If that was my family member i certainly wouldnt just let it go and decide to stay away from the ground

I really liked Isma, rated him, as inconsistent as he was. However I do feel coming out publicly slamming hearts fans like this once he’s left is just poor. Doesnt like talking to people about his problems but quite happy to talk to the media.

In future, I think the stewards and police should have a much bigger part to play, start listening out for racist shouts or comments rather than relying on a supporter to report to them. That way they cant be dealt with right away. If certain fans on here have heard racists shouts, i can absolutely guarantee you that stewards and police have too

18Jambo_dave74

That's really sad to read. I haven't heard any racist stuff aimed at Goncalves personally but horrible that its stopped his family come to games. 

I didn't particularly take to him because despite his obvious talent, his condition for a well paid professional sportsman was a disgrace and I did think he was lazy on the pitch. Therefore I was glad that he left (and we made a profit on him) but not under these circumstances.

I hope that his family or Goncalves himself raised this with the club however from the article that doesn't seem to be the case. I know if they did, Ann Budge would take it seriously and do everything to identify the culprits. Certainly if Goncalves was receiving these comments on Instagram I would hope he would make the club and/or the Police aware. 

8 minutes ago, MacPhee said:

I don’t follow his Instagram but while we’re on this subject I can tell you I’ve seen several racist comments on other social media networks from Hearts fans. Some older, some were very much youth team sort of age. So do I believe it happened? Yes. I certainly do. 

Just now, Ray Gin said:

Hearts v Kilmarnock at Murrayfield. Some dick in the vicinity behind me somewhere was berating him for the entire game, constantly saying that they '****ing hated' him and at one point the second half he let a "black b*******" slip out before being sheepishly quiet for the rest of the match to avoid drawing attention to himself. Isma scored about 5 minutes later too which probably helped shut him up.

Also have heard him called a "useless black b*******" at Tynecastle in amongst a series of largely over the top moans. Can remember the exact game.

Fair enough.

As i said above, i haven't heard anything from section N. 

This is not going to help Djoum's or Adao's confidence, knowing there are racists in our support. 

4 minutes ago, HEARTS_1874 said:

What I find hard to believe is. so many folk have claimed to of  heard Racial abuse from our support directed at our own players, why did you not report this to the nearest Steward / Police officer or confront the individual?

Yes Racism is not to be tolerated at any level but for Isma not reporting the issue to the club I find strange. I am sure the club will be issuing a statement in due course.

Who’s to say they haven’t? I’ve certainly mentioned it to security previously. Very difficult to point out one person in a crowd of hundreds though, especially if it’s not directly in your vicinity but close enough to hear. 

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Were there any stewards near by?

Racial abuse like that is illegal, and the stewards should be documenting that. Or maybe they did and that guy got dealt with afterwards.

7 minutes ago, redm said:

i8- if you reach the point in an argument when you can’t progress it without simply asserting that everyone else is lying, it’s probably not a particularly robust position to be taking. 

Isma’s lying, his wife is lying, his brother is lying, the press are lying, all the people on this thread who’ve heard racist comments or noticed racial prejudice are lying. Come on FFS. Seriously?

For someone that spends their entire online existence demanding fairness redm I am saddened to see you jump on this bandwagon. I simply like to use at least a modicum of fairness in these situations. 

Let us think pragmatically here ok.

·         This is one man’s claim (who he personally never actually heard) ,so really one woman’s claim.  I am still allowed to use the terms ‘man’ and ‘woman’ with you I hope.  Not sure if this will be deemed offensive to 0.0000001% of the forum.

·         There are many racists on the planet

·         There are many people who play race cards and falsely accuse

·         Hearts have racist fans, like all clubs and all walks of life in EVERY country (without exception). 

·         Isma left pissed off with the club

·         No other non-white player is making such allegations

Now, taking all the above into consideration is it fair for me to actually want proof of this incident (s)?

Or should we just send people to the Tower with every accusation? I mean come on ffs.

His claim could be very true and it could also be very untrue.  Note : I never once used the term “lying”, I  just like to be fair – surely you appreciate that?

5 minutes ago, HEARTS_1874 said:

Sometimes when you do stuff like that, the people in question don’t react very well. The type of folk who spout racism probably aren’t going to be particularly diplomatic, rational or normal individuals in a lot of cases. 

34 minutes ago, redm said:

Friend of mine just pointed out that it’s nearly always black players described as being “lazy”. 

Interesting observation.

Big Ron Knew... :facepalm:

34 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

Because Isma said it's true. Who would invent something like that?

Really? You think every single claim of racism is true and justified? 

Wowsers.

manaliveits105

It should have been reported at the time and the club could have issued reminders in programme and over tannoy that any racisim would be dealt with by culprits being ejected and banned . Im sure racism/ bigotry is dealt with by all Scottish clubs severely.

Unfortunately too late to help Isma and its given the hootsman/een another chance to stick the boot in.

Neverforgetfiveone
3 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Interesting 

https://t.co/RFMmQC0Zdu

First of, the ‘minority’ of Hearts fans who subjected him and his family to this abuse should take a long walk of a short cliff.  Inexcusable.

However, what is also inexcusable is punishing the majority of Hearts fans by going to the Edinburgh press with this.  Only served to damage the club who gave him a home and a platform to play at a decent level.  As the article progresses, it does start to read like the racism angle is complimented by trying to excuse his poor form and there being lots of money on offer in Uzbekistan.  Moves very quickly from references of being called “****ing black” to “****ing shit”.  Very different things!  

Why move over to Uzbekistan to escape racism? It’s probably worse over there!

I’m not denying there is a prehistoric element to our support, but blaming the minority of our supporters for his drop in form is bullshit imo.

Expecting pelters for this...

Racism is inexcusable. In all aspects of life not just football. We are a family club and the club itself has taken huge strides in becoming one of the most inclusive clubs in the country. However that article really annoys me. 1) agree with your post - if you have a problem with racism then why move to Uzbekistan to escape racism. Fact is you didn't, you went for the hard cash. 2) why did you not address the issue while you were here? Why did you wait until you were thousands of miles away? Lack of integrity and a cowardice act towards the hearts support who were on your case because, basically, you were shite 8 weeks out of 10. I'd have had the upmost respect for him if he had spoken about it while he was here but the fact the he's not really annoys me! We have players from all over the world playing for us and I can't recall any of them accusing the support of being racist. If he felt so strongly about it he could have went to the board with umpteen players to back him up!!! 

I smell....... shi..... te......

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
12 minutes ago, MacPhee said:

This isn't how these things work, he is backing them up. He said his wife and his brother heard these racist comments. That's 'backing it up'. I understand you're probably only looking to protect the reputation of our club/fans. But it's important for us to acknowledge there are still issues like this and try to work on them.

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

For someone that spends their entire online existence demanding fairness redm I am saddened to see you jump on this bandwagon. I simply like to use at least a modicum of fairness in these situations. 

Let us think pragmatically here ok.

·         This is one man’s claim (who he personally never actually heard) ,so really one woman’s claim.  I am still allowed to use the terms ‘man’ and ‘woman’ with you I hope.  Not sure if this will be deemed offensive to 0.0000001% of the forum.

·         There are many racists on the planet

·         There are many people who play race cards and falsely accuse

·         Hearts have racist fans, like all clubs and all walks of life in EVERY country (without exception). 

·         Isma left pissed off with the club

·         No other non-white player is making such allegations

Now, taking all the above into consideration is it fair for me to actually want proof of this incident (s)?

Or should we just send people to the Tower with every accusation? I mean come on ffs.

His claim could be very true and it could also be very untrue.  Note : I never once used the term “lying”, I  just like to be fair – surely you appreciate that?

You doth protest too much! 

1 minute ago, redm said:

I don’t follow his Instagram but while we’re on this subject I can tell you I’ve seen several racist comments on other social media networks from Hearts fans. Some older, some were very much youth team sort of age. So do I believe it happened? Yes. I certainly do. 

Fair enough mate. 

Uneducated arseholes.

This is actually shocking when you think about it. Opposition fans racially abusing our players would be bad enough. This is OUR OWN fans racially abusing OUR OWN PLAYERS. Its utterly classless and utterly unacceptable and the club will need to roll out some kind of active intolerance campaign that is SEEN to work and roots these people out once and for all. This could put good black players off from joining us. That's abhorrent  !!

Archived