Goncalves - some Hearts fans in racist abuse claims

Swanny17

11 hours ago, Thought Police said:

Not surprised at all. Some of the casual racism from our fans is quite sad. This was mentioned on a couple of threads, and too many people were quick to shut it down.

Definitely not specfically a Hearts thing though. Scotland is full of bigotry and ignorance. A shame his brother or wife never reported the idiots. Sad the guy left for this reason.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is not good reading! And some folk are condemning people who haven’t reported it more than the racists themselves! 

1 minute ago, Dave McCreery's knee said:

His comment that his brother felt some fans were not happy because it was him that had scored backs up his position for me. I have said it before on here that a few guys sitting along from me slated him all game at Murrayfield and then didnt celebrate or even applaud when he scored a really good goal (cut in from left, scored with his right). 

That's absolutely mental. Some of our fans really are weird ***** :lol:

Some of the stuff you hear at matches is absolutely shocking not only to opposing team players but to our own as well.This is shit though but I'm not shocked to hear about it.

Thought Police
1 minute ago, Section Q said:

Definitely not specfically a Hearts thing though. Scotland is full of bigotry and ignorance. A shame his brother or wife never reported the idiots. Sad the guy left for this reason.

No it definitely isn’t. I’m surprised more wasn’t made of Hibs fans thinking Buaben was Djoum for 90 minutes during the first game at Tynie this season.

The racism comments really do show how far we still have to go as a fanbase and as a society. Hopefully it won't take long before stone age attitudes are eradicated and people grant others basic human respect. Whilst I don't believe our fanbase is worse than others in Scotland, this article certainly could give potential signings something to think about, and we've brought it on ourselves.

As an aside, I find it hard to imagine Isma being congratulated by Craig after that Aberdeen match, surely his instructions weren't 'go out there and miss sitters'.

Sub4TiddlerMurray

Absolutely appalling that we have racist morons in our support. I’ve confronted one guy for shouting racist abuse at Isma, almost came to blows till the guy apologised and said “I’m a d!ckhead”. Made me think there was hope.

People also forget the poor strikers we’ve had to endure before Isma arrived. 15 goals he’s scored. I’ve never heard a player with that ability get so much abuse, including the “lazy” black stereotype.

The club has to do more to stamp racism out. 

Reporting it, for me, after is absolutely the right thing to do. Reporting it at the time does absolutely **** all. The stewards are useless and the Police would rather not deal with the aggro.

Myself, I'd rather not cause a scene and the potential for anything to kick off. Especially when I'm with my 6 year old son and the person could be drunk and part of a group of scumbags etc. Seen this at a few away games (namely Raith a couple years back) so it's easy to sit from the comfort of your home and tell everyone that they should be calling folk out when they hear racist abuse. 

2 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

So it is inexcusable. i.e. there can be no excuse for it.

Your choice of words was correct. It absolutely is inexcusable.

To be fair to Ryder, my choice of the word inexcusable for going to the press and tarring the majority was probably a bit too heavy.  Think I was just slightly irked at the time by the fact that he stated that he wasn’t the type of person to talk about his problems, but he’s sitting with an EN reporter telling him about it.  It doesn’t paint the club and it’s officials in a particularly good light either let alone the supporters.

Going to be an interesting place on here today.  

I think the club would do well to reintroduce that text alert number where fans can report this kind of thing. 

6 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Any hearts fan racially abusing a player should hang there head in shame

Or just themselves. Eradicate the problem 

Howdy Doody Jambo

Absolutely shocking disgusting, yet again the minority spoil everything, could harm us attracting players and business in the future this could do lots of serious damage to our club 

Football is the only sport that attracts the lowest forms of life to the game, why? its so sad in this day and age

We as a club need to weed out this major problem in the support or families will stop coming along to the games

Completely unacceptable and the club should now come out with a zero tolerance stance before more damage is done to the club. If season ticket holders then should be kicked out.

Interesting also that he acknowledges he didn’t kick on and improve inspite of the supportive coaches. And then gives this interview to the press without having previously discussed it with the club. Seems a strange way to behave but then probably feels he owes us nothing due to his treatment from a minority. 

Never heard racist abuse myself but not overly surprised.

Particularly at away games you see some of the low life that unfortunately support out team.

This article both angers and saddens me. Firstly, I am not denying it has happened as there is undoubtedly a horrible element in our support, although I never heard it in Section A. However, there are holes in the story, such as not telling Craig Levein or anyone in authority at Hearts this, "because he doesn't like to share his problems" then running to the EEN.

Where does his wife/kid/brother sit? If they're hearing it then surely someone from Hearts would have too?

He took a helluva lot of abuse for putting on weight and playing shit over the year he was here. Whether that was deserved or not is your own opinion. I was at Aberdeen when he missed the target from 8 yards near the end and there were a lot of "useless fat b*****d" shouts. Could his wife have misheard fat for black? Just asking as I've never heard Djoum or Buaben or Sowah or Oshaniwa receive racist abuse either for playing poorly and they've been every bit as culpable for loss of form as Isma, except they still looked like footballers. 

2 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Absolutely shocking disgusting, yet again the minority spoil everything, could harm us attracting players and business in the future this could do lots of serious damage to our club 

Football is the only sport that attracts the lowest forms of life to the game, why? its so sad in this day and age

We as a club need to weed out this major problem in the support or families will stop coming along to the games

Not to be political but people still think football fans are "criminalised". The fact these people are still able to easily get into football games shows that not enough is being done on a club or legal level to stomp this problem out

34 minutes ago, Section Q said:

But he still recommended the club to our on loan midfielder from Sion.

Yes which potentially says even more about him as a bigger and better man than these shitebags who went racist on him. 

And I get grief when I say some of our fans are cretins.

Great way to sell our family and community based club guys. We can do without this minority at our club.

Far too many people taking their social media rage into real life these days.

Sadly the are a few who let the support down. I personally have heard racially spurs over the years and sectarian shouts. Rather these cavemen didn't come to tynecastle. I remember a few years ago that a hearts racially abused Bartley at hibs and had to write an apology. Small minded and quite frankly an embarrassent to hearts 

58 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Interesting 

https://t.co/RFMmQC0Zdu

First of, the ‘minority’ of Hearts fans who subjected him and his family to this abuse should take a long walk of a short cliff.  Inexcusable.

However, what is also inexcusable is punishing the majority of Hearts fans by going to the Edinburgh press with this.  Only served to damage the club who gave him a home and a platform to play at a decent level.  As the article progresses, it does start to read like the racism angle is complimented by trying to excuse his poor form and there being lots of money on offer in Uzbekistan.  Moves very quickly from references of being called “****ing black” to “****ing shit”.  Very different things!  

Why move over to Uzbekistan to escape racism? It’s probably worse over there!

I’m not denying there is a prehistoric element to our support, but blaming the minority of our supporters for his drop in form is bullshit imo.

Expecting pelters for this...

You'll deserve all the pelters you get. Wanting incidents of racism swept under the carpet is not much better than committing them yourself. 

Why did he not report this at the time? Why wait until he moved to a deifferent club before then coming out to an Edinburgh newspaper and drag the entire club and support through the mud for what is blatantly the absolute minority.

I am a season ticket holder and I have never once heard him get racially abused. For those of you that are saying that you have heard it. Can I ask why you did not report this yourself? Even to the club after the match if you were worried about reporting it to a steward at the game?

All clubs have a minority of idiots who indulge in this. Completely unacceptable and there can be no excuse for anyone who behaves in this fashion.

This thread gives me hope, I know, racism amongst Hearts fans is very poor and quite backward, but look how many people are surprised and against it, a few years ago this would not have been mentioned, so well done the good folk and F- ### the racists

Just now, Lambo85 said:

Why did he not report this at the time? Why wait until he moved to a deifferent club before then coming out to an Edinburgh newspaper and drag the entire club and support through the mud for what is blatantly the absolute minority.

I am a season ticket holder and I have never once heard him get racially abused.

16 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

To be fair to Ryder, my choice of the word inexcusable for going to the press and tarring the majority was probably a bit too heavy.  Think I was just slightly irked at the time by the fact that he stated that he wasn’t the type of person to talk about his problems, but he’s sitting with an EN reporter telling him about it.  It doesn’t paint the club and it’s officials in a particularly good light either let alone the supporters.

Going to be an interesting place on here today.  

Ah, I only noticed the 1st use of it in your 1st paragraph.

I've never specifically heard racist abuse of Isma, but I've definitely heard plenty racist comments over the years where I've ended up arguing with people, so it's no great stretch to believe this.

It's sad in this day and age it goes on, but he's definitely right to highlight it.  People saying why not come out when he was still here, maybe he thought it'd exacerbate the problem and get him more flak for pointing it out.  Either way, if this has happened, highlighting it regardless of when is the right thing to do.  He also stresses it was a minority and praises other sections of our support. 

Just now, FarmerTweedy said:

You'll deserve all the pelters you get. Wanting incidents of racism swept under the carpet is not much better than committing them yourself. 

Please tell me where I said sweep it under the carpet?  If you read the thread you’ll also see me commenting on me reporting racism to stewards at games.  I think it’s diabolical and embarrassing that we have this element in our support, all I was doing though was being honest and pointing out some holes in the article which there clearly are and others on the thread have pointed out.  I wasn’t saying it was an excuse for his or his family’s treatment FFS, far from it.

2 minutes ago, sandylejambo said:

This thread gives me hope, I know, racism amongst Hearts fans is very poor and quite backward, but look how many people are surprised and against it, a few years ago this would not have been mentioned, so well done the good folk and F- ### the racists

Amen to that ?

For those in denial about our own players receiving racist abuse (fair enough if you haven’t heard, I’m referring to anyone then extrapolating that to concluding it hasn’t happened), why would Isma lie about this?

1 minute ago, Lambo85 said:

I am a season ticket holder and I have never once heard him get racially abused.

I think we owe it to our club to take this seriously and accept that if him, his wife and brother have heard it, along with it being confirmed by several members of our support, then it happened. We should be mortified by this not doubting the guy, and to be honest, his motives for not mentioning it are irrelevant, he's not on trial, he's done nothing wrong. 

Utterly disgusting if true, Shameful, they shouldn't be associated with the fine football club. 

Can only apologize to Isma and his family as a Hearts supporter. 

Dagger Is Back

You're always going to get a small % of people who can't hold back expressing their racist views. In a crowd of 16000 people that small % can turn out to be quite a few. Have never heard any racist comments where I stand but let's face it we all know that it's more likely than not, to have happened. Really disappointed that that small % have once again let us down, and we should all be standing together in condemning it.

Also disappointed though in Isma for waiting until now and going public with it. He says he had a good relationship with those at Hearts but doesn't like going to people with his problems? So instead of doing that he goes to the press (if we can believe every word in that rag mind you)

I would have had more respect for him if he'd talked to the club as AB would most definitely have taken action. He denied the club and the supporters, the opportunity to show the racists that they're not welcome.

12 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I think we owe it to our club to take this seriously and accept that if him, his wife and brother have heard it, along with it being confirmed by several members of our support, then it happened. We should be mortified by this not doubting the guy, and to be honest, his motives for not mentioning it are irrelevant, he's not on trial, he's done nothing wrong. 

Well said. I suspect if he had raised this, he would have been accused of being a troublemaker who was working his ticket. And potentially stuck at a club where his relationship with its fans became even worse. 

Nucky Thompson

Are there still simpletons in this day and age abusing people because of the colour of their skin :laugh:

Fxxx the SPFL

I can honestly say that I never once heard any racist abuse directed at Goncalves from section N and there are some numpties in there. Plenty folk giving him grief about being lazy. Why raise this now and surely his family would have been in the better seats.  Having said that very disappointing if true. 

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I think there’s a few wires being crossed on this thread.  A number of folk, like me, have never heard anything from where we sit but I don’t think anyone is in denial that this happened, far from it.  I think, whether people like it or not, it’s the medium that has been used here that is splitting opinion, mainly because it didn’t allow us to support him through it as a club.

3 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

You're always going to get a small % of people who can't hold back expressing their racist views. In a crowd of 16000 people that small % can turn out to be quite a few. Have never heard any racist comments where I stand but let's face it we all know that it's more likely than not, to have happened. Really disappointed that that small % have once again let us down, and we should all be standing together in condemning it.

Also disappointed though in Isma for waiting until now and going public with it. He says he had a good relationship with those at Hearts but doesn't like going to people with his problems? So instead of doing that he goes to the press (if we can believe every word in that rag mind you)

I would have had more respect for him if he'd talked to the club as AB would most definitely have taken action. He denied the club and the supporters, the opportunity to show the racists that they're not welcome.

I suspect that the relief at getting away from a club where he has encountered racial abuse may outweigh any feeling he may have of a missed opportunity in terms of addressing the issue at that club. 

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
5 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Good post. 

2 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Well said. I suspect if he had raised this, he wouldn’t have been accused of being a troublemaker who was working his ticket. And potentially stuck at a club where his relationship with its fans became even worse. 

That’s quite an accusation that you don’t think Hearts would have taken action against racial abuse of one of our players from our own supporters. 

He comes across in the article as having a bit of a chip on his shoulder as well, his complaints about getting booed and then racially abused seem to mix together and also I find it hard to believe that he didn’t want to report it but then makes it the main topic of his first post Hearts interview. 

1 minute ago, Bigkyle said:

My question is were are the players family sitting? I'm guessing behind the dugout 

Non-playing players, and families have been sitting in Section P in the new Main Stand this season. 

Haven't heard anything myself but sadly I'm not surprised. We do have some cretins in our support and Isma did get undue criticism at a lot of points during his time at hearts. 

And who sits at home and decides messaging abuse to players on social media is a good use of their time? It's something I'll never understand. 

1 hour ago, Ryder said:

Because Ive heard it happen plenty of times with my own ears.

Did you do anything to bring this to the attention of the Stewards / Police or confront those in question the "plenty" of times you have heard it.

13 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Theres better ways of handling though isn’t there than reporting it to an Edinburgh newspaper. I am sure if it he had reported it at the time then the club would gave dealt with it straight away.

Racism is totally unacceptable and there are people on here that claim to have head him get racially abused. My question to them is why did you not report this yourselves? You you could have reported this to the club after the game if you were worried about reporting it to a steward or a police officer during the game.

Archived