World Cup qualifiers.....

Hendricks

Jambo in Yorkshire

It's also confirmed that there is no set of results that allows us to reach the play-offs if we draw.

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What?s she situation between Slovakia and Slovenia in terms of rivalries? Is there one, do they hate each other? Could Slovenia lie down and let us sneak a place? Not saying they need to as we could do it ourselves without help but just interested?

Not sure if there is any rivalry.  Slovakia was part of the former Czechoslovakia, Slovenia part of the former Yugoslavia.  Both are Slavic in origin, but I don't think there is any strong connection historically (i.e. nothing to suggest they are either big rivals, or big allies).

Don't think there is one. Slovenia share no border with Slovakia and I remember reading that skiing is the main sport in Slovenia , not football.

No real rivalry.

Slovakia split from Czechoslovakia and Slovenia split from Yugoslavia.

They don't border one another and other than name they aren't all that similar.

thanks guys [emoji1303]

thanks guys [emoji1303]

I'd recommend Slovenia for a cheap weekend get away in December. Ljubljana was brilliant :thumbsup:

I'd recommend Slovenia for a cheap weekend get away in December. Ljubljana was brilliant :thumbsup:

ooft no chance of a holiday in December at my work unfortunately but cheers for the heads up [emoji1303]

IF we win it would be good to see Ukraine and Croatia ending in a draw as would possibly mean that Northern Ireland would be seeded. 

Switzerland/Portugal

Wales

Italy

Northern Ireland

Clearly we would want either Wales or Northern Ireland if thats the way it ended.

The group placings will have absolutely no bearing on the seedings.

The seedings and the world rankings will be purely based on who FIFA want to have the best chance of getting to the finals, that will probably mean NI can forget about it.

The seedings and the world rankings will be purely based on who FIFA want to have the best chance of getting to the finals, that will probably mean NI can forget about it.

You mean the draw will be fixed, not the rankings.

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/index.html

The way to 'fix' the rankings is win competitive games and avoid playing friendlies

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/procedure/men.html

https://thesetpieces.com/world-football/beating-system-wales-planned-seeding-success-calculator/

:spoton:

Portugal/Switzerland/Italy v Scotland

Allowayjambo1874

There is a published methodology for the ranking based on results/competition etc and though it is complicated it wouldn't take long to work out if there was jiggery pokery going on.

Out of interest at the last world cup, Bilic was a pundit on ITV and was discussing how some countries just have a hex on others and actually mentioned that Croatia have never beaten Scotland. I might be clutching at straws but I don't think Croatia would relish being drawn against us if that were to happen.

rudi must stay

Dutch still need to beat Swedes by seven goals.

12. Shame, they always add something to a world cup. Advocaat seems a poor coach these days

You are correct about it being based on World Rankings but there is every possibility Northern Ireland could be seeded. In the last set of World Rankings, which will be updated before the draw Northern Ireland were in 20th spot. They may go down a few spots especially if they lose to Norway tomorrow or someone may go passed them but as things stand they could be touch and go for a seeded spot. 

No real rivalry.

Slovakia split from Czechoslovakia and Slovenia split from Yugoslavia.

They don't border one another and other than name they aren't all that similar.

Yes, both southern Slavs.... Have given England real tests..... I'd say on a par with Scotland or Ireland.

12. Shame, they always add something to a world cup. Advocaat seems a poor coach these days

7 goals would give them a swing of 14 so they don't need to win by 12

Unknown user

It's more that they just don't have the quality of player they used to IMO. There's been a trend recently of Eredivisie exports returning after failing to make an impact at bigger clubs, something which was very very rare in previous years.

EDIT I found this list of players who returned to dutch football in 2017;

Marco van Ginkel (Chelsea), Siem de Jong and Tim Krul (Newcastle), Alexander Buttner (Dynamo Moscow), Ricky van Wolfswinkel (Norwich), Steven Berghuis (Watford), Kevin Diks (Fiorentina), Oussama Assaidi (once bought by Liverpool but eventually ditched even by Al-Ahli in Dubai), Ouasim Bouy (Palermo)

If Holland beat Sweden by 12 they will be better off than Sweden by 12 goals.

Each goal Holland score changes the difference by 2. +1 for Holland -1 for Sweden.

Holland need to win by 7 due to goals scored.

You could get a job commentating for ITV though.

rudi must stay

It's more that they just don't have the quality of player they used to IMO. There's been a trend recently of Eredivisie exports returning after failing to make an impact at bigger clubs, something which was very very rare in previous years.

An excellent post. Totally agree. Players that are great but not as good as the fans became used to

FIFA rankings before the latest round of games

Portugal - 3 (Switzerland - 7)

Wales - 13 (ROI - 34)

Italy - 17

Croatia - 18  (Ukraine - 24)

N Ireland - 20

Sweden - 23

Denmark - 26

Scotland - 43

Greece - 47

So if we beat Slovenia, we should see our ranking improve, but highly unlikely to be enough to make the top 4, so we'll be one of the second seeds.

The list as it stands would leave us potentially playing Portugal, Italy, Wales or Croatia.

However, a lot depends on the final round of games.  If Portugal beat Switzerland, then the Swiss become a  potential opponent.  Likewise, Ukraine could leapfrog Croatia if they win their head to head, and ROI could beat Wales, in which case N.Ireland could be in the top seeds if they beat Norway, though Sweden or Denmark could also nick a top 4 place.

Seems like we'd be in a better position if Portugal, ROI and Ukraine win their final games.  That would likely leave a top 4 of Switzerland, Italy and 2 from N.Ireland, Ukraine, Sweden and Denmark.

Unknown user

An excellent post. Totally agree. Players that are great but not as good as the fans became used to

I've read two theories why; one is that dutch players are going abroad at younger ages than ever and are missing out on a key stage of their development at first team level in the eredivisie.

The other is that the eredivisie is just too slow, and that players that are going abroad can't adjust quickly enough to the relative pace and just don't make an impact.

Maybe it's a combination of both but there's no doubt that players like Van Persie, Bergkamp, Robben, Rijkaard, Kluivert, Gullitt (you could go on and on and on!) just aren't there any more

What?s she situation between Slovakia and Slovenia in terms of rivalries? Is there one, do they hate each other? Could Slovenia lie down and let us sneak a place? Not saying they need to as we could do it ourselves without help but just interested?

No animosity. In fact, diplomats from both countries regularly meet in London to swap mail that gets sent to the wrong embassy!

Unknown user

No animosity. In fact, diplomats from both countries regularly meet in London to swap mail that gets sent to the wrong embassy!

:laugh: that's lovely that

It must be a bummer if you're a Switzerland fan, knowing you've won all 9 of your qualifying games to date, but could still end up in the play-offs if you lose to Portugal in your final match.

It would be pretty harsh if they lost in the play-offs after picking up 27 points out of 30 in the group stage.

You are correct about it being based on World Rankings but there is every possibility Northern Ireland could be seeded. In the last set of World Rankings, which will be updated before the draw Northern Ireland were in 20th spot. They may go down a few spots especially if they lose to Norway tomorrow or someone may go passed them but as things stand they could be touch and go for a seeded spot. 

If Northern Ireland lose to Norway and we beat Slovenia, we will jump above them in the rankings.

It must be a bummer if you're a Switzerland fan, knowing you've won all 9 of your qualifying games to date, but could still end up in the play-offs if you lose to Portugal in your final match.

It would be pretty harsh if they lost in the play-offs after picking up 27 points out of 30 in the group stage.

That's almost Scotlandesque.

Almost.

Looking at their group it was ridiculously easy tho.. Faroe Islands are sitting 4th.. It's unsurprising they've won all their games..

If Northern Ireland lose to Norway and we beat Slovenia, we will jump above them in the rankings.

Is this true.. that would be a swing of about 20 places if we are currently in the 40's and they are currently around 20th.. that doesn't seem feasible.

Looking at their group it was ridiculously easy tho.. Faroe Islands are sitting 4th.. It's unsurprising they've won all their games..

Is this true.. that would be a swing of about 20 places if we are currently in the 40's and they are currently around 20th.. that doesn't seem feasible.

If we beat Slovenia we'll move onto 910 ranking points which would have us 24th in the current rankings. If N.I. lose to Norway they'll drop to 889 points, which would also place them 24th in the current rankings. So yeah, if both those results pan out we'll move above them and be ranked somewhere in the mid-20s. 

Riddley Walker

3 other countries being wiped from the map, by a North Korean missile?

Other than that...I?d put decent money on no.

I'd go for the first option if it meant a World Cup spot. Nuclear-free lands are overrated anyway.

It's a bit shit that the play offs are seeded in the first place, probably for another thread but I just think it is wrong and is purely money driven.

If for instance the Scottish Cup was seeded all the way to the final, which would ultimately be for the benefit of the two big clubs in Scotland I would lose interest in it very quickly.

Open draws all the way for me.

The best team should still prevail.

(this is not a Japanese poem)

Riddley Walker

It's a bit shit that the play offs are seeded in the first place, probably for another thread but I just think it is wrong and is purely money driven.

If for instance the Scottish Cup was seeded all the way to the final, which would ultimately be for the benefit of the two big clubs in Scotland I would lose interest in it very quickly.

The fact that the play-offs are seeded is an absolute disgrace. The teams have already been seeded for the groups, no need to do it again.

Graygo?s right anyway. Money. Pure & simple.

Who wants to see NI, Wales or Scotland there(apart from us), when Italy & Portugal & Croatia, could potentially get KO?d. FIFA are probably seething that The Netherlands have cocked it up too.

Croatia have to go to Ukraine and get something tonight for them to get in to the play offs.

Allowayjambo1874

The ironic thing is FIFA/ UEFA will be desperate for Portugal & Italy to qualify for tv revenue but the fans from the Scandinavian and British countries bring more to the tournament than either of those two, make it a great atmosphere and spectacle.

Riddley Walker

Croatia have to go to Ukraine and get something tonight for them to get in to the play offs.

I'd be quietly confident we could take Ukraine.

Riddley Walker

Personally wouldn?t bother me too much about Croatia either.

If we get to playoffs, then only Italy I?d be concerned about.

The rest, we can give a game too. Even Italy at Hampden we could.

I think we'd struggle against Portugal or Switzerland as well, but we'd definitely make a game of it.

Italy would be a 3-1 defeat on aggregate, they're too smart.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

The odds aren?t exactly favourable. :lol:

50/50? Basically if we win today our chances of making it to Russia is a coin toss. Ffs the draw will be more nerve-wracking than the game today. :(

we wont make the play offs Slovenia haven't conceded in 4 home games. we will Hibs it. guaranteed. under 2.5 goals at 8/15 is free money. put your house on it

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

I won?t know the results until about 8pm tonight, so not nervous about today at all, never mind the draw.

Whatever happens today, happens.

I wish I was as cool as you. :lol:

The rankings are a major flaw in football some awful teams making that top 20, Poland at 6th is nonsense. How long is it until the nations league starts? 

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Things to do today I?m afraid, that take priority over football.

Folk got themselves into a state about the Belgium match last night, so I can imagine some will be in psychiatric wards by FT tonight.

Very true but hope it's nothing bad.

Hopefully come 8pm you'll be hearing some good news :thumbsup:

And they are going with a new manager after the draw with Finland sacking and replacing Ante Cacic

That is unusual

Things to do today I?m afraid, that take priority over football.

Folk got themselves into a state about the Belgium match last night, so I can imagine some will be in psychiatric wards by FT tonight.

Hope all is well with you?

So even if we Scotland win later we'll be in another round of matches for qualification, is that right? someone please explain.

So even if we Scotland win later we'll be in another round of matches for qualification, is that right? someone please explain.

correct a two legged play off in November

Ukraine v Croatia is Monday night. A draw would actually see both of them eliminated IF Scotland and the Rep of Ireland both win or Scotland win and Wales draw/win. So there is much to play for in Kiev!

Morgaro Gomis

That's a really good finish from Griffiths. First team to score against Slovenia in Ljubljana.

Archived