World Cup qualifiers.....

Hendricks

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

France, Portugal and Argentina could be main contenders next year.

If they qualify.

Find out soon, overnight for Argentina unless anyone is staying up. 

9 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Find out soon, overnight for Argentina unless anyone is staying up. 

I am staying up to watch it, I do for all of their matches, and am very confident they will do it tonight :)  An absolute disaster if they don't....  

6 minutes ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

I am staying up to watch it, I do for all of their matches, and am very confident they will do it tonight :)  An absolute disaster if they don't....  

The floor for them is a playoff against New Zealand, so they'll still probably qualify one way or the other, but backing in is not the way you want to qualify for a major tournament.

15 minutes ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

they've not beaten ecuador in quito since 2001

3 minutes ago, kila said:

Where can I watch the Holland Sweden game?

Sky and their red button not got it :thumbsdown: 

They've got Greece v Gibraltar though..

itv 4

53 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

they've not beaten ecuador in quito since 2001

I know! I just think they will do it when it comes down to it. 3-0 Argentina. 

1 hour ago, Ugly American said:

The floor for them is a playoff against New Zealand, so they'll still probably qualify one way or the other, but backing in is not the way you want to qualify for a major tournament.

The play-off most certainly is not the worst for Argentina, they would grab that with both hands at present!!  

This campaign has been a disaster for various reasons: lack of goals (particularly surprising, given the talent at their disposal), managerial issues, the mess that AFA are in and, lets not forget the ridiculous ban handed out to Messi. 

6 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Does that mean Slovakia 

miss out as 9th best 2nd place?

not that I really care either way. Scotland out, Holland out so no-one to cheer on next summer. 

Yes 

I believe their chance was a draw last night in Wales game. 

Italy, Denmark, Croatia, Switzerland, Rep of Ireland, Greece, N.Ireland, Sweden.

Seedings then draw next week.  

16 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Does that mean Slovakia 

miss out as 9th best 2nd place?

not that I really care either way. Scotland out, Holland out so no-one to cheer on next summer. 

N.Ireland could still make it, which would give us a Hearts interest.  Big Kyle to set the finals alight and attract multi-million pound bids, would be nice, if highly unlikely.

7 minutes ago, vasco said:

Just back from Portugal game. How the **** did Switzerland win 9 out of 9?

I'm guessing they scored more goals than everyone INCLUDING Portugal in their previous 9

My oh my, Ecuador have just scored inside 45 seconds against Argentina. What always looked a big task is now perhaps a monumental one. At that altitude to! I read today that the Argies have only won once there in 57 years!

And again, 2-1. Messi taking control of the situation. He may need to score 3 or 4 himself here as the Argentina defence is an absolute shitshow.

From the BBCs live text.

1:10

Ecuador 1-2 Argentina

Gordon Strachan's genetics chat has gone down like a deep-fried haggis hasn't it? Lionel Messi would probably get a game for Scotland. He could probably beat Scotland I v XI.

Anyway, almost half time in Quito. It's been a treat.

You have to question how the **** Concacaf manage to get 3 automatic qualifying places. If tonights result holds (currently Trinidad and Tobago 2 USA ) it will mean that the USA qualify AUTOMATICALLY after winning 3 games (all at home) from 10 against the might of T+T, Honduras and Panama. I'm sorry but thats farcical and I want to see them there! Not only that but they get a play off spot for the 4th team too. 

3 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

You have to question how the **** Concacaf manage to get 3 automatic qualifying places. If tonights result holds (currently Trinidad and Tobago 2 USA ) it will mean that the USA qualify AUTOMATICALLY after winning 3 games (all at home) from 10 against the might of T+T, Honduras and Panama. I'm sorry but thats farcical and I want to see them there! Not only that but they get a play off spot for the 4th team too. 

2-0 to T+T :facepalm::turmoil:

TBF it's not as if it's a random qualifying group from across CONCACAF. It's the six best teams in the federation, and Costa Rica and Panama are very decent teams as Costa Rica demonstrated aptly in the last WC. Furthermore, all of the central American teams schedule the US in the most remote stadiums they can manage and then try to kick us off the park, so it's customary to play for a draw away b/c that's plenty to qualify if you win at home.  Anyway, the Hexagonal isn't so much of a qualifying hurdle as it is an elaborate ruse to ensure that Mexico and the US play each other during qualifying without risking either's qualification chances so CONCACAF can make some $$$$.

Oh and the OG was horrendous but the second was an Ozturk Special.

(oooh, embedded tweets!)

As it stands it could be a USA v Australia playoff..

Both teams that have improved their local leagues with an influx of money, however both national teams are regressing massively..

You'd have to assume Peru will beat New Zealand however it's probably the best draw New Zealand could have got..

. . . and it's official. US will not go to Russia. Utter humiliation of a result.

Arena has to get a huge share of the blame but Klinsmann left this team in shambles.

Panama qualify directly into the World Cup..

USA are a shambles.. 

Messi what a player..

I'm not often stunned by what happens in football but what I've just witnessed in the last 45 minutes has me pretty speechless. The US from a position of ridiculous strength and after an excellent result and performance on Friday have completely capitulated tonight against a frankly rubbish Trinidad and Tobago side. They simply did not turn up, just expected the results to be fine and now are OUT. Staggering. Horrendous for the game in the US but the boot up the arse they most definitely need. The irony of the World Cup being in Russia and the US not making it is incredible. Panama are in complete ecstasy and surely can't believe what has happened. They now make their first ever World Cup appearance whilst Honduras play Australia in the play off. 

Amazing given that soccer in the US is at its most popular by a long shot and as I said before I think Pulisic is quite possibly the best US player ever.

But there's apathetic mediocrity all over the squad. I honestly don't know where we go from here.

The USA were absolutely honking tonight. They seemed well off the pace in every position against a team rated 99th in the world rankings. Got exactly what they deserved. 

I just wonder how the non qualification will affect MLS which has been growing in interest recently. Will the red, white and blue abandon it? 

30 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

Amazing given that soccer in the US is at its most popular by a long shot and as I said before I think Pulisic is quite possibly the best US player ever.

But there's apathetic mediocrity all over the squad. I honestly don't know where we go from here.

Honestly struggling to take this one in. Just an absolutely disastrous performance tonight. And for the other scores to go against especially when both teams were behind is just unbelievable. Longer term I expect the US to come back strongly, the game is becoming ever more popular, there is great infrastructure in place and as always with US sport there is plenty money. But in the short term and the loss of the huge interest there would have been next summer its a shocker, evidenced by the texts I've been getting from people gutted that there won't be games with US participation next June. The World Cup is such an amazing event wherever it is being watched around the globe. 

I'll make one definite prediction, if it wasn't already likely I now think its a complete certainty that the US will host the expanded 48 team World Cup in 2026. No way FIFA risk their non involvement in what will be the biggest sporting event ever when it comes around and given the massive amounts of sponsorship money they invest. In fact if Qatar gets booted they'll probably move in and take that over. 

35 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Honestly struggling to take this one in. Just an absolutely disastrous performance tonight. And for the other scores to go against especially when both teams were behind is just unbelievable. Longer term I expect the US to come back strongly, the game is becoming ever more popular, there is great infrastructure in place and as always with US sport there is plenty money. But in the short term and the loss of the huge interest there would have been next summer its a shocker, evidenced by the texts I've been getting from people gutted that there won't be games with US participation next June. The World Cup is such an amazing event wherever it is being watched around the globe. 

I'll make one definite prediction, if it wasn't already likely I now think its a complete certainty that the US will host the expanded 48 team World Cup in 2026. No way FIFA risk their non involvement in what will be the biggest sporting event ever when it comes around and given the massive amounts of sponsorship money they invest. In fact if Qatar gets booted they'll probably move in and take that over. 

I've seen idle speculation, mostly in jest, that FIFA come up with some corruption charges against Putin and Russia and move 2018 to the US just to get us back into it. :lol:

Being serious, though, I will say that the level of sophistication of the average American soccer fan is 20 times what it was in 2002 or 2006, to the point that I could imagine fairly large numbers of Americans tuning in to watch even without the US. Of course, nowhere near the numbers it would have been, but still.

Arena will be fired -- that much seems certain -- the performance tonight was downright Cathroesque.  The knives seem to be coming out for Gulati too, and rightly so -- Klinsmann was his pick and he fought for him, and Arena was supposed to be the safe pair of hands to lead things out. If they roll out Bob Bradley as a replacement there will probably be a revolt. 

There's been a feeling of slow and steady progress for decades in US soccer.  2014 was a bit of a step back (JK's ridiculous decision to drop Donovan was a big factor there IMO) but there was some feeling that so long as we qualified we could build a squad around Pulisic and maybe make a little noise this time. Now, though, a generation of stalwarts in the team will be gone -- Howard, Dempsey, Bradley, Guzan and hopefully Altidore have been in the squad forever, and with a few exceptions the players coming in behind them are steps back from what we've had before. The back line is a disaster -- who TF knows why Gonzalez was playing in front of Cameron and the rest of the line were pedestrian at their best. The midfield, so long the strength of the US, is now Pulisic and a bunch of nobodies. Weirdly we have a few decent strikers for the first time since we pulled the national side back together in the 80s.

What an incredible mess.

UA - I think they might promote Tab Ramos from the U20's. He's done a fantastic job with them culminating in a U20 World Cup Semi-final appearance earlier this year. As you say the old guard is done, tonight was the end of an era with regards a number of players who have in fairness done a great deal in previous years for US football. It would therefore make sense for continuity purposes to utilise the coach who will presumably be planning on integrating some of these very promising young players. 

Its either that or they will throw a shed load of $$$ at a big name from Europe!!! 

2 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

UA - I think they might promote Tab Ramos from the U20's. He's done a fantastic job with them culminating in a U20 World Cup Semi-final appearance earlier this year. As you say the old guard is done, tonight was the end of an era with regards a number of players who have in fairness done a great deal in previous years for US football. It would therefore make sense for continuity purposes to utilise the coach who will presumably be planning on integrating some of these very promising young players. 

Its either that or they will throw a shed load of $$$ at a big name from Europe!!! 

Ramos would be a great pick IMO. I hope they have the guts to do that.

Huge fan of that rant.. I would doubt anyone can really argue with what was said..

Bringing it back to Scotland briefly.. where is that passion from our ex players and pundits.. there is an apathy around our national team..

Back to the US.. if they can get everyone pulling in the same direction they could be turn it around.. Aside from the Dortmund player there isn't really any great players.. Now is a time to bring in some of the younger guys.. If that's the case the previous poster might be right and promote the current U21's manager if he's being doing a good job as has been suggested..

40 minutes ago, RussAsia said:

Huge fan of that rant.. I would doubt anyone can really argue with what was said..

Bringing it back to Scotland briefly.. where is that passion from our ex players and pundits.. there is an apathy around our national team..

Back to the US.. if they can get everyone pulling in the same direction they could be turn it around.. Aside from the Dortmund player there isn't really any great players.. Now is a time to bring in some of the younger guys.. If that's the case the previous poster might be right and promote the current U21's manager if he's being doing a good job as has been suggested..

I'd hardly say there is an apathy. Scotland once again had one of the biggest crowds of the recent Euro qualifiers which is remarkable given our total lack of any success and relative size compared to many others. We also took one of the biggest away supports of the week. I've also heard countless ex players discussing yet another failure. The reason the US pundits are losing their shit is because this is one of the biggest upsets in any sport in many years. Scotland not qualifying doesn't even register in that regards!

Riddley Walker

I didn't even think it was possible for the US to get knocked out last night. ****ing hell. 

Glad the Argies are going to make it though, wouldn't have been the same without them. And Messi to miss the last World Cup while in his prime would have been a shame.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
4 hours ago, Ugly American said:

. . . and it's official. US will not go to Russia. Utter humiliation of a result.

Arena has to get a huge share of the blame but Klinsmann left this team in shambles.

TBF, we should be there, it was never a goal that Panama scored.

Archived