World Cup qualifiers.....

Hendricks

I know someone mentioned that Northern Ireland would be seed but if Wales qualify would they also be seeded?

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bazzas right boot

Slovenia have Thier two midfielders suspended, the ex inter guy and the cheivo guy.

I know someone mentioned that Northern Ireland would be seed but if Wales qualify would they also be seeded?

Too early to tell. There is still the possibility of all of Italy, Portugal, Croatia and Holland being in the play offs! Along with the likes of Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales and apparently the latest World Rankings are announced the day before the draw!

Bazzas right boot

Wales, unlikely.

Shanks said no

Ok I am currently on the peeve on the algarve (sorry) but will someone please tell me if Scotland have a chance!

Ok I am currently on the peeve on the algarve (sorry) but will someone please tell me if Scotland have a chance!

yes we do

Wales, unlikely.

They would be seeded based on current rankings and the teams likely to make the play-offs.  They are behind Portugal, Croatia and Italy, but ahead of the rest.

Well yes but we have to be realistic and say its still a slim chance of getting to the finals. Slovenia will be a really tough game for a must win, ordinarily you'd take a draw there but we can't obviously. 

Then, assuming another result(one of several we need to happen) goes in our favour we'll have a two legged play off against a team likely to be 'ranked' well above us.

Qualification for the finals is STILL a HUGE ask.

They would be seeded based on current rankings and the teams likely to make the play-offs.  They are behind Portugal, Croatia and Italy, but ahead of the rest.

Wales are ranked above Croatia and Italy at the moment.

If Bosnia beat Belgium are we bang in trouble?

No. There is still loads of other results that can go our way.

We just have to beat Slovenia. It would then be unlikely that we wouldn't be in the play offs

Scotland have to win tomorrow first.....

Got a funny feeling the playoff will be against Ireland....

Having had an Irish mum and dad, big brother, and me born in Scotland, this is the nightmare scenario...

But want Scotland to win 100%..... I remember feeling left out last summer with the welsh, Irish and English playing....

Bazzas right boot

Eh ? Wales are the highest ranked home nation at the moment mate.

Ah, ofc I seen NI as highest but that's because wales weren't on the list as they were 3rd. It was a BBC list, ni were 22nd I think.

Cheers.

Footballfirst

Big result for the USA last night with a 4-0 win over Panama.  It guarantees them into an automatic qualifying position if they win away to bottom side Trinidad & Tobago in their final game on Tuesday. A draw would probably be enough too.

Mon the Belgium. Gonna watch it tonight. They better not play a weakened team.

My weekend bet at 6/4 Belgium win ?20... Great squad.....

This is a ****ing nonsense to be fair. Top 2 should go through from every group with all the 2nd place teams going into a play off. Teams should only be focused on what they have to do rather than permutations,it?s a mockery. The results against the lowest team being scrapped pish is also a further admission that half these teams should be punted in pre qualifiers. Waste of time.

I hadn't noticed that Serbia lost to Austria, so to add to the equation, if we beat Slovenia, and Serbia fail to win at home to Georgia, that would also put us in the play-offs.

So as it stands, if we win our final game, all of the following would have to happen to prevent us making the play-offs...

Group A - Sweden must pick up 4 points from a home game v Luxembourg and away to Netherlands

Group C - N.Ireland need to pick up a point in Norway

Group D - Serbia must win at home to Georgia, and Wales must beat ROI

Group E - Denmark must pick up a point at home to Romania

Group G - Italy must avoid a heavy defeat away to Albania

Group H - Bosnia must beat Belgium at home and Estonia away

Group I - Iceland must pick up a point at home to Kosova, and Ukraine v Croatia mustn't end up a draw

Looking at the above, the most likely failures to stop us will be Bosnia in Group H, then Sweden in Group A, then Wales in Group D. I happen to fancy Italy will not lose by 5 or 6 against Albania.

Without the Bosnia away to Estonia game and Sweden away to Netherlands, bookies odds are 21/1 for the rest to happen so seems highly unlikely a win in Slovenia won't be enough.

wheatfield to sheffield

I know that, but Estonia have always played football like a vallied sloth

I remember them once losing 3-0 and they didn't touch the ball once

Wales, unlikely.

Wales are currently likely 3rd best seeded team if they get into play offs though see that's been clarified above

Of course Wales could win group

Unknown user

I remember them once losing 3-0 and they didn't touch the ball once

That's right, McCoist hat-trick wasn't it?

wheatfield to sheffield

That's right, McCoist hat-trick wasn't it?

Tosh McKinley's celebrations are what sticks in my mind

Scotland have to win tomorrow first.....

Got a funny feeling the playoff will be against Ireland....

Having had an Irish mum and dad, big brother, and me born in Scotland, this is the nightmare scenario...

But want Scotland to win 100%..... I remember feeling left out last summer with the welsh, Irish and English playing....

Republic of Ireland and Scotland would be unseeded

This is a ******* nonsense to be fair. Top 2 should go through from every group with all the 2nd place teams going into a play off. Teams should only be focused on what they have to do rather than permutations,it?s a mockery. The results against the lowest team being scrapped pish is also a further admission that half these teams should be punted in pre qualifiers. Waste of time.

It might be made easier

14 out 32 are European. Just 13 qualifiers. Maybe when they go to 48 teams it will be easier though that is a farce with the proposal to have groups of 3 - go all the way to World Cup for maybe just 2 games.

When we qualified last time 1998 we finished 2nd in group but avoided play off due to late goal in another game making us best (of 9) second place.

Some performance yet again by Iceland. Currently 3-0 up in Turkey and putting huge pressure on Croatia who are currently 0-0 at home to Finland. Even if they eventually go on to win that game Iceland have much the easier final game, at home to Kosovo whilst Croatia travel to Ukraine. Strong possibility that Iceland qualify automatically and Croatia go into the play offs. Although Ukraine could actually eliminate Croatia altogether with a win putting themselves into the play offs.

What's happened with Iceland is quite possibly beyond comparison. A country with a population of c. 300,000 are basically ripping the pish out of the apparent European establishment. They're about to win a group comprising Croatia, Ukraine, Turkey and Finland.

It's utterly phenomenal what they've achieved. I can't think of a comparative achievement. It's astonishing

Bazzas right boot

What's happened with Iceland is quite possibly beyond comparison. A country with a population of c. 300,000 are basically ripping the pish out of the apparent European establishment. They're about to win a group comprising Croatia, Ukraine, Turkey and Finland.

It's utterly phenomenal what they've achieved. I can't think of a comparative achievement. It's astonishing

There's not you are correct.

At club level , Leicester?

There's not you are correct.

At club level , Leicester?

Leicester at club level. But this arguably surpasses that

Leicester at club level. But this arguably surpasses that

To show it wasn't a one off too

Lot to be said for looking at what they do

Uruguay getting to the semis? Population close to that of Wales. Hell, they've even won the damn thing although that was a while ago when it was almost a different sport.

Unknown user

Uruguay getting to the semis? Population close to that of Wales. Hell, they've even won the damn thing although that was a while ago when it was almost a different sport.

Denmark winning the euros with a population of 5 million maybe?

Tosh McKinley's celebrations are what sticks in my mind

Care to comment BigDavesHeed?

:)

Denmark winning the euros with a population of 5 million maybe?

especially since they hadn't qualified for it and only got in when IIRC yugoslavia were kicked out

you could also add greece winning the euros

Watt-Zeefuik

Big result for the USA last night with a 4-0 win over Panama.  It guarantees them into an automatic qualifying position if they win away to bottom side Trinidad & Tobago in their final game on Tuesday. A draw would probably be enough too.

Honestly thought we might choke it, and be in the depressing situation of having our best player ever in the squad but fail to qualify for the first time since 94.  Fortunately, that player, Pulisic, decided that was depressing too and took over the match.

The worst that can happen to the US now is to be forced into a playoff with an African nation.  It's fairly well done and dusted. This is far from our best team but I'm genuinely excited to see Pulisic in the Stars and Stripes at the World Cup.  Decent chance he has one of those "coming out" tournaments and the US gets its first real international superstar.  (He's already at Dortmund so his career scarcely needs the boost but this could be the tournament that makes him more of a household name.)

Samuel Camazzola

Honestly thought we might choke it, and be in the depressing situation of having our best player ever in the squad but fail to qualify for the first time since 94. Fortunately, that player, Pulisic, decided that was depressing too and took over the match.

The worst that can happen to the US now is to be forced into a playoff with an African nation. It's fairly well done and dusted. This is far from our best team but I'm genuinely excited to see Pulisic in the Stars and Stripes at the World Cup. Decent chance he has one of those "coming out" tournaments and the US gets its first real international superstar. (He's already at Dortmund so his career scarcely needs the boost but this could be the tournament that makes him more of a household name.)

The US qualified in 1990 before they hosted it in 1994.

Riddley Walker

Ya dancer. Can't get Red Button through Now TV, why on earth are Sky showing Sweden Luxembourg on the main channel?

Bazzas right boot

A bit of me thinks we'd be better going into Tommorrows game not knowing a win would put us through.

If Belgium win tonight, and we know a win is good, watch the shakes set in.

Unknown user

A bit of me thinks we'd be better going into Tommorrows game not knowing a win would put us through.

If Belgium win tonight, and we know a win is good, watch the shakes set in.

I know what you're saying but I'm cool with it. I'd be more concerned if we only needed a draw tbh!

Archived