World Cup qualifiers.....

Hendricks

Not if Portugal beat Andorra tonight and Switzerland next week

Switzerland need another 8 goals second half to change that.

You're right. I hadn't noticed that the table for that group on the BBC website was 'live'.

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right. I hadn't noticed that the table for that group on the BBC website was 'live'.

Yeah

That is confusing. No worries.

Portugal might settle it tonight though

Why are the Dutch playing Janssen up front who couldn't hit a barn door from 3 ft away for Spurs when they have Bas Dost on the bench who has 38 in his last 39 league games?

Why are the Dutch playing Janssen up front who couldn't hit a barn door from 3 ft away for Spurs when they have Bas Dost on the bench who has 38 in his last 39 league games?

commentators have just said he is not fully fit so could not start

commentators have just said he is not fully fit so could not start

Ah thanks for confirming - livescore app doesn't quite paint the full picture

portugal take the lead

Had to bring Ronaldo on to get the goal. As always he obliges almost immediately. They are so reliant on him I honestly think I'd prefer Portugal to Switzerland.

Had to bring Ronaldo on to get the goal. As always he obliges almost immediately. They are so reliant on him I honestly think I'd prefer Portugal to Switzerland.

Sacrifice someone in the first 5 minutes to kick him off the park

Didn't realise he was 1 booking away from a suspension. I hope he dives.

Bazzas right boot

The Dutch are embarking on a Scotland-style downward spiral.

Which means they'll bottom out at our level.

I know we're all living in the here and now but it's funny how folk are talking about tomorrow as the biggest game for, in your case, 14 years.

If we'd held on against Poland two years ago, we'd have been playing Gibraltar needing a win to make a playoff. Craig Levein's team I'm sure would have made a playoff but for a last minute Czech dive. George Burley faced Holland needling a win to make a playoff and Miller and Brown missed sitters (let's not talk Iwelumo!)

We've had plenty massive games but admittedly we've rarely entered the final match on such a high. Come on, Scotland, let's get it done this time!

Because Ireland beat Germany that night, a win v Poland did not guarantee us anything, it just meant we would have needed Ireland to win away in Poland.

So for me, this is the biggest game since Italy at home in 2007. It's simple, win and we are in the playoffs. All the games mentioned above needed other results to go our way and for once it is purely in our hands. Really hope we do it but it is Scotland....

As it stands.

RTt3HLX.jpg

In case this worries anyone, Greece's final game is against Gibraltar meaning that they can't improve their tally.

France looked a bit nervy tonight but secured qualification. Compared to the Spanish Euro winners who at times seemed to play almost without a striker, their squad is absolutely brimming with exciting attacking talent and I'd like to see them fulfill their potential in the finals.

Guest Paul Allen

As it stands.

RTt3HLX.jpg

I'd dread Portugal and Italy.

I'd be nervous about Sweden, Denmark, Wales and Croatia.

I'd settle for Greece or Northern Ireland.

Would imagine every other country would be hoping to get us. Obviously still a massive IF in terms of us getting into the play-offs.

As it stands.

RTt3HLX.jpg

Final round of fixtures:

Portugal (2) vs Switzerland (1)

Albania (3) vs Italy (2)

Netherlands (3) vs Sweden (2)

Denmark (2) vs Romania (4)

Norway (4) vs Northern Ireland (2)

Greece (2) vs Gibraltar (6)

Wales (2) vs Republic of Ireland (3)

Ukraine (3) vs Croatia (2)

(Current league position)

Would imagine every other country would be hoping to get us. Obviously still a massive IF in terms of us getting into the play-offs.

It will be based on seeding and there is a new FIFA list out before the draw from which the seeds will be chosen

I'd rather Wales, Greece, NI or Denmark over the others.

Riddley Walker

Because Ireland beat Germany that night, a win v Poland did not guarantee us anything, it just meant we would have needed Ireland to win away in Poland.

So for me, this is the biggest game since Italy at home in 2007. It's simple, win and we are in the playoffs. All the games mentioned above needed other results to go our way and for once it is purely in our hands. Really hope we do it but it is Scotland....

Still haven't got over Italy's second goal that night. Panucci shoulder barged Hutton off the ball on our bye line and Italy got the free kick. Devastating.

Footballfirst

FIFA rankings before the latest round of games

Portugal - 3 (Switzerland - 7)

Wales - 13 (ROI - 34)

Italy - 17

Croatia - 18  (Ukraine - 24)

N Ireland - 20

Sweden - 23

Denmark - 26

Scotland - 43

Greece - 47

Jambo in Yorkshire

I reckon today's results confirm Slovenia cannot make the play-offs. They could only get 11 pts (ignoring bottom team) and the 2nd team in every other group must get 12 or more.

Hopefully they have worked this out.

Guest Paul Allen

Still haven't got over Italy's second goal that night. Panucci shoulder barged Hutton off the ball on our bye line and Italy got the free kick. Devastating.

That was a classic case of brown envelopes if ever I've seen one.

What?s she situation between Slovakia and Slovenia in terms of rivalries? Is there one, do they hate each other? Could Slovenia lie down and let us sneak a place? Not saying they need to as we could do it ourselves without help but just interested?

IF we win it would be good to see Ukraine and Croatia ending in a draw as would possibly mean that Northern Ireland would be seeded. 

Switzerland/Portugal

Wales

Italy

Northern Ireland

Clearly we would want either Wales or Northern Ireland if thats the way it ended.

What?s she situation between Slovakia and Slovenia in terms of rivalries? Is there one, do they hate each other? Could Slovenia lie down and let us sneak a place? Not saying they need to as we could do it ourselves without help but just interested?

No real rivalry.

Slovakia split from Czechoslovakia and Slovenia split from Yugoslavia.

They don't border one another and other than name they aren't all that similar.

Don't think there is one. Slovenia share no border with Slovakia  and I remember reading that skiing is the main sport in Slovenia , not football. 

FIFA rankings before the latest round of games

Portugal - 3 (Switzerland - 7)

Wales - 13 (ROI - 34)

Italy - 17

Croatia - 18  (Ukraine - 24)

N Ireland - 20

Sweden - 23

Denmark - 26

Scotland - 43

Greece - 47

You beat me to this. Montenegro (37) still have an outside chance of taking Denmark's place.

Footballfirst

IF we win it would be good to see Ukraine and Croatia ending in a draw as would possibly mean that Northern Ireland would be seeded. 

Switzerland/Portugal

Wales

Italy

Northern Ireland

Clearly we would want either Wales or Northern Ireland if thats the way it ended.

Northern Ireland's ranking may drop below that of Sweden / Croatia / Ukraine / Denmark once the last two results in the group are added to the calculation.

Archived