Elvis interviewed (merged)

Never Let Them Forget

Geoff Kilpatrick

Once again Geoff, everything above is based purely on your wild speculation and nothing based on fact. How do you know what these managers are on? How do you know what the Hearts budget is for the next appointment is? My personal opinion is .... the speculative list of candidates are all pretty much the same, the names you produced in your post above are all what I would say are in the same category of manager. Manager's looking to either resurrect their career or managers who have kept their team in the SPL with a small budget, the bargain basement ?250k to ?400k a year bucket of managers if you will. All of them would potentially be around the same cost wise, with perhaps Freedman slightly more expensive, however that is purely speculation ... there is a lot of that goes on in here isn't there?

To be frank, if we couldn't afford a manager like McInnes or Lennon then I'd end the DoF position and redirect the salary. The first team manager is far more important.

And yes, there is plenty of speculation on here. That's the point of a forum.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be frank, if we couldn't afford a manager like McInnes or Lennon then I'd end the DoF position and redirect the salary. The first team manager is far more important.

And yes, there is plenty of speculation on here. That's the point of a forum.

Agreed, but the danger comes when people take that speculation as fact, form an opinion based on speculation and then call others out for not following their nonsense thought process. Some people prefer the factual method, and form opinion based on fact and context. That is my preference anyway.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Agreed, but the danger comes when people take that speculation as fact, form an opinion based on speculation and then call others out for not following their nonsense thought process. Some people prefer the factual method, and form opinion based on fact and context. That is my preference anyway.

That's fair enough. It doesn't mean we need to agree with the decisions being made either.

Deary me, to read that you would think we couldn't afford anyone. Even looking at the league the only managers who would probably get paid more are Rodgers, Caixanha, McInnes and potentially Mr Clarification. Are you seriously trying to tell me we couldn't afford Tommy Wright or Alan Archibald, both with far better records than Pressley? Freedman isn't worried about the salary either. The long and short is that a good manager is easily within our price range so that argument is moot.

Who do we know who has definitely applied for the Job? I'm not convinced with some of the names mentioned so far.

Are Hartley & Pressley the only two who have been interviewed so far?

A good manager may well be within our price range but most of the names mentioned so far, in my opinion are below the quality I would have expected to apply for what is, let's face it, a damn good job.

We have a divided support ?

You're excelling yourself in the drivel stakes today, Walter.

I think we do have a bit of division at present mate. Not so sure it's an even split or anything close to that, but we do have a group of supporters who have taken the hump about the direction the club is going in. Some go about voicing their displeasure in more idiotic ways than others, but there is definitely a group who do not like Budge, Levein and the board.

Does anyone know when Ann Budge gets back from her holidays? I was under the impression that with Daly still in charge for Ibrox she'd be back for further managerial talks at the start of next week, but not seen any clarification of this.

Geoff Kilpatrick

As an aside, can the club just get on and ******* appoint someone? Been two weeks already

This.

And not Pressley.

Yes, yes, yes. It's truly a choice between Pressley and Simeone. What can the board do?

Pressley's formations were all over the place at Coventry and Fleetwood. 4-4-2 for a long time, sometimes three at the back, sometime 4-3-3. An abstract view, given how bad the results were under him, is that he had no idea what he was doing.

Coventry I accept were a mess but Fleetwood are a progressive and relatively rich club who reached the League One play-offs after they replaced Pressley with a proper manager in Uwe Rosler.  Falkirk were relegated under him and nobody has touched him since Fleetwood, despite Pressley given the impression that he's being picky about jobs. Really, what more is there to say?

"Pressley's formations were all over the place at Coventry"...did you watch the video I linked here?

I do not want elvis as manager. If he gets the job then i will support him.

Unfortunutly he will divide tge support and put pressure on the board to remove him asap. For that he would be a disaster as a manager

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The Fleetwood chairman said he was happy at the job Pressley did after he left as he was asked to keep them up and that's what he did.

Graham Alexander was sacked by Fleetwood at the start of that season because they were getting humped everyweek. Did a great job at Scunthorpe last season though.

Pressley has had three jobs where he's been tasked with avoiding relegation so it shouldn't come as a shock that his win % is in the 30's.

This is a very good point.

I'd give my full backing to Elvis if he was appointed, though Freedman is now my candidate of choice with McClaren apparently out of the running.  People shouldn't mistake passion in playing for the green half of the Glasgow cancer as a GIUY to Hearts fans, IMO.

I stand by what I said a few days ago that I would be finished with hearts under the current regime if he's the manager.

What a ridiculous stance to take. If SP is hired (and I would prefer Sergio or Freedman, in that order), then the board feel he is the most suitable candidate. Granted his gesturing in a Celtic shirt was ill advised, granted his managerial record leaves the jury out, but Steven Pressley is a Hearts great, a magnificent captain and has all the passion in the world. Let's give him a chance, like any successful applicant. If that means you will be "finished with Hearts under the current regime" then screw you! At this delicate time, we need all the support we can get, but if it is not united, it is diminished. Of you go, laddie........

Pressley's formations were all over the place at Coventry and Fleetwood. 4-4-2 for a long time, sometimes three at the back, sometime 4-3-3. An abstract view, given how bad the results were under him, is that he had no idea what he was doing.

You want a manager who sticks rigidly to the same tactics, no matter who we're up against?  Are you one of those who chased Robbie out when we were second in the league because he altered his tactics to suit the opponent?

Well said

I'm pretty fed up of these petty fans who miscontrue a gesture made at the ownership of the club that despite delivering two Scottish Cups nearly sent us bust by a player who was forceably removed for pointing out the early warning signs.

I recall the player who had the stones to step up and take the first penalty in the Cup final, or who tried to play in a derby after getting his teeth knocked out against the Dutch four days before. Our greatest captain in the modern era but yeah lets just re-write history and call him a snake.

I'm not saying he should get the job, it should be considered on merit and if the board choose to go with him, it's because they feel it's the right thing to do. It can't be worse than the Cathro experiment. Maybe just back the team and the board decisions instead of holding a pointless vendetta against someone who gave as much to the club as anyone in recent history.

I think we do have a bit of division at present mate. Not so sure it's an even split or anything close to that, but we do have a group of supporters who have taken the hump about the direction the club is going in. Some go about voicing their displeasure in more idiotic ways than others, but there is definitely a group who do not like Budge, Levein and the board.

I've not seen any evidence of that, mate. Not to say it's not the case mind !

Plenty moaning at the games but that's been going on since I was a youngster.....don't ask how long !

I, obviously, disregard a lot of social media for very good reason.

It is simply amazing how many armchair UEFA Pro Licence coaches give their full blooded but grounded opinions based on their experience within the game over social media ;) if a painter and decorator came to my work and told me how to design a global data network, we would point and laugh! Why is it different for non football professionals to tell a club how to do their job?

It is simply amazing how many armchair UEFA Pro Licence coaches give their full blooded but grounded opinions based on their experience within the game over social media ;) if a painter and decorator came to my work and told me how to design a global data network, we would point and laugh! Why is it different for non football professionals to tell a club how to do their job?

With respect, you're over-thinking it, mate.

It's only a messageboard where fans offer opinions.

Nothing more.

It was tongue in cheek ;) let the professionals get on with it is what I am saying. I've a feeling the new manager won't be any of the ones currently causing all this opinion forming anyway

Letting them know all the best places to eat mice.

:lol:

This surely can't happen.

I would genuinely prefer kenny shiels as manager :lol:

I'd take Butcher over Pressley.

Geoff Kilpatrick

It was tongue in cheek ;) let the professionals get on with it is what I am saying. I've a feeling the new manager won't be any of the ones currently causing all this opinion forming anyway

How is anyone on here hindering these "professionals" with their "decades of experience" exactly?

Ah, hard to tell sometimes on here.

No worries. I agree for what it's worth.

Where have I said they were? My tongue in cheek point, was to highlight how seriously people outside the game take their opinions based on nothing but the fact they have watched a lot of football and bought a season ticket ;)

Geoff Kilpatrick

Where have I said they were? My tongue in cheek point, was to highlight how seriously people outside the game take their opinions based on nothing but the fact they have watched a lot of football and bought a season ticket ;)

^^^ Gordon Strachan type post

Come on then Geoff, you clearly have the hump with some of what I have posted today, which part is it that is making you respond in such a manner? Do you agree, if you are a professional in your role, you are more likely to do a better job than someone who is not? Good or bad experience included?

Come on then Geoff, you clearly have the hump with some of what I have posted today, which part is it that is making you respond in such a manner? Do you agree, if you are a professional in your role, you are more likely to do a better job than someone who is not? Good or bad experience included?

Levein is in a self-appointed role where his two picks have been Cathro and Robbie, hardly inspirational.  Ann has said numerous times she's not got a footballing brain.  Who's to say there isn't better out there who would make better decisions.  Blind faith in the board football side of things doesn't help. 

AB needs to make the decision and ensure the new gaffer calls everything in first team terms . Let levein focus on academy , scouting network, coach development etc and let the manager manage and have the major say in recruitment . If do then SP could be the man

Levein is in a self-appointed role where his two picks have been Cathro and Robbie, hardly inspirational.  Ann has said numerous times she's not got a footballing brain.  Who's to say there isn't better out there who would make better decisions.  Blind faith in the board football side of things doesn't help. 

Do you think Locke would have coasted the Championship, taken us to 3rd, and then left with us in 2nd?  I'd say the appointment of Robbie was fairly inspirational.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I don't have the "hump". I'm calling out your patronising attitude in regard to people having the temerity to discuss the pros and cons of Pressley.

Do you think Locke would have coasted the Championship, taken us to 3rd, and then left with us in 2nd?  I'd say the appointment of Robbie was fairly inspirational.

Probably not, but that's Gary Locke.  Considering we had the best squad another manager could have done so too.  

I've not seen any evidence of that, mate. Not to say it's not the case mind !

Plenty moaning at the games but that's been going on since I was a youngster.....don't ask how long !

I, obviously, disregard a lot of social media for very good reason.

I've noticed it on Social media, posters and that idiotic plane demo. Also at games. As Insaid, I think it's a very small number of fans, but there are some pretty noisy empty vessels out there too. It seems to be the club's attempt to be more community orientated that they dislike. The attempts to cut down on bigotry etc. All just my own observations though.

I'm quite sure there was plenty moaning in the 40s too though, man. ;)

glastonbury jambo

He would have pumped the hivs though, ...part of there resurgence {cup win} is Robbies fault imho.

I've noticed it on Social media, posters and that idiotic plane demo. Also at games. As Insaid, I think it's a very small number of fans, but there are some pretty noisy empty vessels out there too. It seems to be the club's attempt to be more community orientated that they dislike. The attempts to cut down on bigotry etc. All just my own observations though.

I'm quite sure there was plenty moaning in the 40s too though, man. ;)

Ha, i'll 40's ye !

Dusk_Till_Dawn

You want a manager who sticks rigidly to the same tactics, no matter who we're up against? Are you one of those who chased Robbie out when we were second in the league because he altered his tactics to suit the opponent?

:lol:

The **** you on about? Do some research into the guy rather than chatting bollocks.

Lucille's Thirsty

Neil Alexander clickme

That just strikes me as a former player feeling hard done by IMO.

He didn't expect to be let go and for Hamilton to take his place.

I don't have the "hump". I'm calling out your patronising attitude in regard to people having the temerity to discuss the pros and cons of Pressle

Is a patronising attitude similar to being open minded about the next manager and forming my opinion on what facts I actually know then happy to continue patronising you anytime.... Your not discussing anything as far as I can tell, just simply repeating "no to Pressley" .. based on what exactly? Your personal relationship with him? Your in depth knowledge of both Coventry City FC and Fleetwood under his watch? your understanding of his football philosophy?  Why he prefers the high press and against better teams the double pivot? Come on, give me something that would make me take notice of your fact based opinion and we can then actually have a discussion around it .... ill get a cuppa in and await with bated breathe! 

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Too many remembering Pressley for the great captain he was rather than judging him on the god-awful manager he is now

Geoff Kilpatrick

Is a patronising attitude similar to being open minded about the next manager and forming my opinion on what facts I actually know then happy to continue patronising you anytime.... Your not discussing anything as far as I can tell, just simply repeating "no to Pressley" .. based on what exactly? Your personal relationship with him? Your in depth knowledge of both Coventry City FC and Fleetwood under his watch? your understanding of his football philosophy? Why he prefers the high press and against better teams the double pivot? Come on, give me something that would make me take notice of your fact based opinion and we can then actually have a discussion around it .... ill get a cuppa in and await with bated breathe!

Results. It all boils down to results and his track record is awful. However, if you want another 30% odd win rate from a manager then go ahead and accept mediocrity.

That just strikes me as a former player feeling hard done by IMO.

He didn't expect to be let go and for Hamilton to take his place.

He does mention Levein in the dressing room and that though! He would have no reason to make it up. He also went to a club who finished well higher than us so no need to be bitter.

Context Geoff all about the context ... always key .... if he had a win percentage of 60% or over, would he be at Hearts? If Isma always made the correct decision in the final 3rd would he be at Hearts? The financial levels we are currently operating in, simply mean ... EVERY new appointment whether in management or playing staff can only guarantee risk and come with absolutely no guarantee of results or success. These are the facts of the current situation we operate in. It will improve but not in time for the next manager to guarantee either results or success I'm afraid. Regardless of who takes the position.

BobbyJenkins

Context Geoff all about the context ... always key .... if he had a win percentage of 60% or over, would he be at Hearts? If Isma always made the correct decision in the final 3rd would he be at Hearts? The financial levels we are currently operating in, simply mean ... EVERY new appointment whether in management or playing staff is  only guaranteed as a risk and has no guarantee of results.

Couldnt agree more, well said. Context and nuance are not abundant on here.

As an aside, can the club just get on and ******* appoint someone? Been two weeks already

But but....they are taking their time to get the right appointment. If they do not know who that is by now it is a joke. As you say it has been 2 weeks and it is not as if they have to trawl through mounds of CVs from guys with an unknown history. We are looking for an experienced manager and these are all known quantities.

I'm pretty fed up of these petty fans who miscontrue a gesture made at the ownership of the club that despite delivering two Scottish Cups nearly sent us bust by a player who was forceably removed for pointing out the early warning signs. 

I recall the player who had the stones to step up and take the first penalty in the Cup final, or who tried to play in a derby after getting his teeth knocked out against the Dutch four days before. Our greatest captain in the modern era but yeah lets just re-write history and call him a snake.

I'm not saying he should get the job, it should be considered on merit and if the board choose to go with him, it's because they feel it's the right thing to do. It can't be worse than the Cathro experiment. Maybe just back the team and the board decisions instead of holding a pointless vendetta against someone who gave as much to the club as anyone in recent history. 

It wasn't a gesture at the ownership of the club, it was directly in front of the Hearts fans to the Celtic support. Why would that be a gesture towards the owners of the club? The guy is a total snake.

It wasn't a gesture at the ownership of the club, it was directly in front of the Hearts fans to the Celtic support. Why would that be a gesture towards the owners of the club? The guy is a total snake.

This.. Pressley can gtf

Context Geoff all about the context ... always key .... if he had a win percentage of 60% or over, would he be at Hearts? If Isma always made the correct decision in the final 3rd would he be at Hearts? The financial levels we are currently operating in, simply mean ... EVERY new appointment whether in management or playing staff can only guarantee risk and come with absolutely no guarantee of results or success. These are the facts of the current situation we operate in. It will improve but not in time for the next manager to guarantee either results or success I'm afraid. Regardless of who takes the position.

Regardless of who gets the job, I can't see us finishing any higher than fourth this season and a decent cup run is no guaranteed either.

That's not " accepting mediocrity "....a phrase i'm beginning to despise on here...but a realistic view of our current squad's potential.

A decent appointment may improve that but it takes time. The loyalty of our support has shown that they are prepared to give it just that.

Can't help but wonder if Pressley had done exactly the same thing whilst playing for another team...for arguments sake Rangers, would there be the same pre-pubescent 'snake' screams anytime his name was mentioned?

Please tell me it's not grown men acting in this way?!

FFS, I couldn't care if he ran along the side of the pitch high-fiving the Celtic support whilst shaking his bare arse at us lot...if he was to come in and do well as our manager, that's all that matters (although I highly doubt it with his track record thus far in Management...even with the extenuating circumstances at the clubs he's managed before).

But there's always a first time (he could come in, and it could just click)...and for that reason, whoever the Board choose to appoint will get my support/encouragement to do well.

Nucky Thompson

Mr Romanov wasn't even there that day.

What gets me is that he hasn't ever came out and apologised or been quoted that he regretted getting it up the Hearts fans that day

Mr Romanov wasn't even there that day.

What gets me is that he hasn't ever came out and apologised or been quoted that he regretted getting it up the Hearts fans that day

In fact, he has been on radio shows like the now thankfully defunct Real Radio Football Phone In, and been really quite dickish towards Hearts. Now that the arse has fallen out of his managerial career, he's scuttling around trying to squeeze his way back in. He should have been told to f-off as soon as he sat down for the interview.

In fact, he has been on radio shows like the now thankfully defunct Real Radio Football Phone In, and been really quite dickish towards Hearts. Now that the arse has fallen out of his managerial career, he's scuttling around trying to squeeze his way back in. He should have been told to f-off as soon as he sat down for the interview.

:spoton:

Can't help but wonder if Pressley had done exactly the same thing whilst playing for another team...for arguments sake Rangers, would there be the same pre-pubescent 'snake' screams anytime his name was mentioned?

Please tell me it's not grown men acting in this way?!

FFS, I couldn't care if he ran along the side of the pitch high-fiving the Celtic support whilst shaking his bare arse at us lot...if he was to come in and do well as our manager, that's all that matters (although I highly doubt it with his track record thus far in Management...even with the extenuating circumstances at the clubs he's managed before).

But there's always a first time (he could come in, and it could just click)...and for that reason, whoever the Board choose to appoint will get my support/encouragement to do well.

The post of a "grown man"???

:qqb006:

Archived