Steve McClaren

Hendricks

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wattie exploited

Wattie....we can't get him...its no happening you need to think of someone else.

:wicked:   well got me there lol !

Howdy Doody Jambo

I wonder if SAF has had anything to do with McClaren applying/being considered.

Speaks well of Queen Ann from what i remember. His ex assistant. I would assume we may have sounded him out and McClaren may also have asked him about us.

I know this means bigger all but it was a thought I had.

JC is his agent

LarrysRightFoot

JC is his agent

I thought JC wasn't an agent anymore?

But I am sure he would know him either way.

WeeWillyWinky

Haven't read all posts so not sure if it's been mentioned already but I'm sure I read recently that he was studying for a degree with view to moving upstairs within football. He has ambitions to own/run a football club.

Maybe he sees this as an opportunity to manage whilst gaining experience in the running of a club which is being run properly.

Just a thought.

AuldReekie444

I could not remember Anatoliy Korobochka at all. I remember Malofeev, he played Neilson as a winger or something, 

Would also piss of Brenda who suddenly wouldn't be the most high profile manager in Scotland

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Buffalo Bill

I just can't see him being happy enough with the wage or player budget for him to want to do it.

In terms of wages, I would imagine he'd know (roughly) what that would be in advance. And believe it or not, being the head coach at Hearts still offers a decent salary. But consider this: his England pay-off alone would surely have made him a wealthy man and set for life. He'll have been a high-earner too in the 10 years since but right now, his professional stock has fallen having been on the receiving end of quite a few sackings in recent years. At the moment, he'd struggle to get a gig with any of the top 30 or 40 clubs in England.

So where does Hearts come in?

Well he knows the club, the city, the owner, the DoF, the set-up, and what's in store for the stadium having enjoyed a visit to Tynecastle last season AND seeing it at its best. Plus, we're only three hours up the road from where he lives. Hearts may be a struggling side right now, but the nick of the club on the whole is superb, and it's about to get a whole load better.

Looking at both parties, the question isn't 'why would he want the job?' The question is 'why wouldn't he?'

Well it is leveins responsibility, if it fails then its leveins fault. If the next appointment does well then levein takes credit.

That's generally how it works.

I was under the impression that it is the board's responsibility and Levein is only one member of the board - his opinion may carry more weight than others but I'm pretty sure Ann will be heavily involved in choosing managers. 

Sorry if this upsets all the Levein haters...

In terms of wages, I would imagine he'd know (roughly) what that would be in advance. And believe it or not, being the head coach at Hearts still offers a decent salary. But consider this: his England pay-off alone would surely have made him a wealthy man and set for life. He'll have been a high-earner too in the 10 years since but right now, his professional stock has fallen having been on the receiving end of quite a few sackings in recent years. At the moment, he'd struggle to get a gig with any of the top 30 or 40 clubs in England.

Well he knows the club, the city, the owner, the DoF, the set-up, and what's in store for the stadium having enjoyed a visit to Tynecastle last season AND seeing it at its best. Plus, we're only three hours up the road from where he lives. Hearts may be a struggling side right now, but the nick of the club on the whole is superb, and it's about to get a whole load better.

Looking at both parties, the question isn't 'why would he want the job?' The question is 'why wouldn't he?'

Exactly my thinking. I think these are all very valid reasons for his interest. 

I live to read posts like these. 

I thrive on reading posts like these. 

I continue to support the Hearts thanks to posts like these. 

It's the way he ends it, like Andy Murray finishing a rally with a smash down the line. Take that.

Buffalo Bill, one of the very finest. 

AuldReekie444

Does McLaren have a burning desire to still be.a winner or is becoming a damp squib

Still Sergio for me

It would be a unique opportunity. Not Chinese, or Arabian, or USA. Or Irish or Welsh. 

Spot on.

IF he's expressed an interest (which, according to the press seems to be the case) then he'll already know that the salary on offer will be nowhere near that which he got at Derby. Why, then, would he express an interest unless he's genuinely interested in taking the job? If he wants it and is prepared to fit into our salary structure it's a no-brainer for me.

According to the DR Edgar David's has thrown his hat into the ring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And Aidy Boothroyd

Ferryjambo99

And it shall swiftly be thrown back out

Just remembered, wasn't Shteve bigging up Kitchen and Bjorn last January while he was Derby manager?

Paterson, walker, Johnson and souttar was who he scouted

Got to say I think it is a real compliment to Hearts that we can attract someone of McLaren's calibre. While I was hoping for Paulo, if a deal can be struck here I'll be delighted.

...a bit disco

In terms of wages, I would imagine he'd know (roughly) what that would be in advance. And believe it or not, being the head coach at Hearts still offers a decent salary. But consider this: his England pay-off alone would surely have made him a wealthy man and set for life. He'll have been a high-earner too in the 10 years since but right now, his professional stock has fallen having been on the receiving end of quite a few sackings in recent years. At the moment, he'd struggle to get a gig with any of the top 30 or 40 clubs in England.

Well he knows the club, the city, the owner, the DoF, the set-up, and what's in store for the stadium having enjoyed a visit to Tynecastle last season AND seeing it at its best. Plus, we're only three hours up the road from where he lives. Hearts may be a struggling side right now, but the nick of the club on the whole is superb, and it's about to get a whole load better.

You have a way with words BB.

Ever considered writing a book?

:D

gashauskis9

Got to say I think it is a real compliment to Hearts that we can attract someone of McLaren's calibre. While I was hoping for Paulo, if a deal can be struck here I'll be delighted.

To be fair, in the early days of Vlad we attracted similar calibre with the likes of Burley, Robson, Keegan (PHM) and Ranieri. Shame we felt Rix and Valdas (no offence to the big guy) fitted the bill better.

I'd be very interested in Aidy Boothroyd if he's applied.

Doubt it very much. He's the England Under-21 manager.

To be fair, in the early days of Vlad we attracted similar calibre with the likes of Burley, Robson, Keegan (PHM) and Ranieri. Shame we felt Rix and Valdas (no offence to the big guy) fitted the bill better.

We attracted Burley... then Vlad started sticking his nose in team selection and we could only attract the desperate. 

Doubt it very much. He's the England Under-21 manager.

I doubt it too. Would be an interesting choice though, and possibly a good one.

ford donald

I was under the impression that it is the board's responsibility and Levein is only one member of the board - his opinion may carry more weight than others but I'm pretty sure Ann will be heavily involved in choosing managers. 

Sorry if this upsets all the Levein haters...

:spoton:  It will be a board decision.

Jambo 4 Ever

I'd be very interested in Aidy Boothroyd if he's applied.

Would be interesting!!

He played and scored for us too didn't he!!

Would be interesting!!

He played and scored for us too didn't he!!

Scored a cracker against Huntly in a 6-0 win IIRC.

gashauskis9

He scored two that day. Pretty much the last we saw of him.

Got a brace. c1992/3. As a kid, I thought we must have been amazing when I watched that game in the shed with my old man.

Benny Factor

He scored two that day. Pretty much the last we saw of him.

A Huntly fan asked me to swap scarves that day. Still got the scarf up my folks' loft.

132goals1958

Every single appointment and signing this club makes is a gamble. That's the market we operate in. Our recruitment comes with no guarantees at any level.

McLaren has a pretty decent CV and ticks the experience box several times over. He ticks the contacts box and he ticks the 'high level' box He doesn't really tick the success box (apart from a Leicester type freak title win in Holland) though and he doesn't tick the 'knows Scottish football' box. In fact I've seen him cut a pretty sad figure on occasion and question whether he's a 'winner' or has the baws to manage up here.

That doesn't mean I don't want him. I certainly do but he only looks good on his cv at this stage. He could easily be shite in real life.

Its about minimising the risk and he's certainly less of a risk than someone like Hartley. But he isn't risk free. Not by a long way.

I'd be happier with Freedman to be honest, even though on paper its a no brainer between the two.

I'm on the fence regarding McLaren.  

PROS: Big name, high profile.  Good contacts, Experienced

CONS: Apart from a great season in Holland not really laden with success

If it happens then I would be mildly excited but not overwhelmed.

Laden with success :lol: how high are your expectations ffs. :lol:

He did well with Middlesbrough won them their first cup and got them to Europe. 

He did well with Middlesbrough won them their first cup and got them to Europe.

Not just Europe, the UEFA cup final. Looks like this is happening, dancer :)

the fact he has no connection with weegie land is a plus but whether he's gonna bring a change in style of play I'm not so sure. he's more used to playing a containing game scraping out a result with smaller teams than going for it. it's this negative style of fitba that most have been complaining about, grinding out a point away to partick isn't gonna endear him to the fans

I have a feeling it will be Dougie Freedman

I was okay with that a few days ago.... but now McClaren is rumored it would feel like second choice.

All about what they leave IMO. Do well, and I think McClaren and Freedman would, and they won't be here long. I have a feeling we wouldn't be back to square one if Freedman left and we might with McClaren

I think this is possibly less true of McClaren. He's been to the top of the game (briefly), so if he was doing well in the current Hearts set up, I can't imagine his head being easily turned by, say, a championship team. Compare that to a younger, "more ambitious" manager (e.g. Neilson, jumping ship at sign of interest from MK Dons)

Archived