Steve McClaren

Hendricks

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BlingCrosby

McClaren wasn't a great international boss, but last time I checked we were a club. His main talent - full time coaching - isn't really what international football is about. You just don't have time to mould players day in, day out at that level. You just pick personal and shape and get on with it.

Club football is where he's done his best work. If we land him, and it's a big if, he has all the tools to succeed here. I hope he does.

I understand your reasons. But at club level he's done ok. Won trophies in England and Holland. Granted he's had a couple of **** ups but most managers have.

Who would be your choice?

To be honest, I don't know. I wouldn't say any of the people mentioned are stand out candidates to me. I'd rather get a younger guy on the way up but I can understand why people wouldn't be so keen on that after Cathro. I like the sound of Freedman but again Cathro talked a good game...

I reckon there will be people out there who have consistent records or are up and coming that would be interested in the job but we haven't heard of yet .

To be honest, I don't know. I wouldn't say any of the people mentioned are stand out candidates to me. I'd rather get a younger guy on the way up but I can understand why people wouldn't be so keen on that after Cathro. I like the sound of Freedman but again Cathro talked a good game...

I reckon there will be people out there who have consistent records or are up and coming that would be interested in the job but we haven't heard of yet .

I'd be delighted with Freedman as well.

Peter Houston for me is your Steve McClaren :lol:

McClaren wasn't a great international boss, but last time I checked we were a club. His main talent - full time coaching - isn't really what international football is about. You just don't have time to mould players day in, day out at that level. You just pick personal and shape and get on with it.

Club football is where he's done his best work. If we land him, and it's a big if, he has all the tools to succeed here. I hope he does.

Good example of that is Levein, or Burley. Very good club manager and awful international manager.

Houston for me is one of those guys that has a decent record, would work well with Levein, but for some reason I just don't think would be any good.

Son Of Anarchy

Google 'worst England manager of all time' and Steve McClaren will virtually always be in the top 2 in any list. I don't mind people raving about the excellent job he did with a couple of clubs but to say 'we must appoint this guy because he managed England' is really daft. If we just considered the job he did with England then we should totally rule him out. His last few club appointments have been disasters too. I can't believe so many Hearts fans can't see how risky this appointment would be. This guy could be our version of Terry Butcher- just replace ex-England captain with ex-England manager. Big names do not guarantee success.

Google "most annoying poster on any forum on the internet ever" and the top TWO will always be a Riddler from lanarkshire seemingly. Strange but true :whistling:

Buffalo Bill

Taking into account he has links to both John Colquhoun and Craig Levein, what makes you think he'll have no idea what sort of wage is on offer?

And also, what does a guy who has made millions and millions of pounds from the game over the last 20 years need with more money when it's been reported that he's just looking for a good job and a route back into management?

Of course McClaren doesn't need the money.....he's probably had about ?10m in pay-offs from all the jobs he's been sacked from.

I agree, money (his wages) shouldn't be an issue.

I agree, money (his wages) shouldn't be an issue.

Pretty sure they will be. We will have to break the bank to secure him. He will be looking for ?10k/week minimum plus add ons. Lot more than we are willing/able/should pay.

Buffalo Bill

Pretty sure they will be. We will have to break the bank to secure him. He will be looking for ?10k/week minimum plus add ons. Lot more than we are willing/able/should pay.

Football is a small world. SMC knows Colquhoun and Levein personally. A wee chat here, a text message there, a Google search maybe.

He'll know the wage ballpark figure before he stuck his stamp to the envelope.

This isn't a dig but why Freedman...I'm struggling a little to see what he's actually achieved compared to the others mentioned and a few seem to want him?

Phil D. Corners

Football is a small world. SMC knows Colquhoun and Levein personally. A wee chat here, a text message there, a Google search maybe.

I just wonder if he's interested to come here for a chance to win something and pick up another European tour over the money.

One final hurrah etc.

My preference is dougie freeman and hearing he is number 1 post some intial conversations which included who would he bring in

Why would someone who been earning in the region ?35k+ per week for the last 10-15 years take a job at 10% of that? Is he a charity?

kingantti1874

My preference is dougie freeman and hearing he is number 1 post some intial conversations which included who would he bring in

If Sergio isn't an option I'm with Freedman as well.. Has a similar sort to profile and style as mccinnes

Geoff Kilpatrick

Why would someone who been earning in the region ?35k+ per week for the last 10-15 years take a job at 10% of that? Is he a charity?

How much was Lemon getting at Celtic? How much was Levein getting as Scotland manager? Do you think what they are currently earning is in the same ballpark?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I think that is the answer to Rudy T. Freedman has done well in the transfer market and his stats probably don't tell the whole story about him.

McLaren first if on the same wavelength Boothroyd then Freedman. All excellent options

What have Berra and Lafferty been earning?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Because 0k is 100% less at a wild guess

Google 'worst England manager of all time' and Steve McClaren will virtually always be in the top 2 in any list. I don't mind people raving about the excellent job he did with a couple of clubs but to say 'we must appoint this guy because he managed England' is really daft. If we just considered the job he did with England then we should totally rule him out. His last few club appointments have been disasters too. I can't believe so many Hearts fans can't see how risky this appointment would be. This guy could be our version of Terry Butcher- just replace ex-England captain with ex-England manager. Big names do not guarantee success.

And yet he is nowhere near the worst that accolade falls to Kevin Keegan

Buffalo Bill

Firstly, I'm just guessing. I have no idea if he'd be up for it or not.

But he's a rich man. We can assume that.  He doesn't need a big wage. Perhaps he just wants back into football. Hearts is an attractive job, will pay reasonably well, and he'll be back in the hot seat again. Think Tynecastle with 20,000 fans. It will be tempting for anyone out of work.

wattie exploited

still think his record isnt that good going on  his last 6 clubs sacked 4 times and with hearts he is not going to have a great budget for players .

Firstly, I'm just guessing. I have no idea if he'd be up for it or not.

But he's a rich man. We can assume that.  He doesn't need a big wage. Perhaps he just wants back into football. Hearts is an attractive job, will pay reasonably well, and he'll be back in the hot seat again. Think Tynecastle with 20,000 fans. It will be tempting for anyone out of work.

Pretty much.

It confuses me why some supporters fail to recognise that or have the intelligence to work it out.

still think his record isnt that good going on his last 6 clubs sacked 4 times and with hearts he is not going to have a great budget for players .

Ancelotti has been sacked by 4 of his 8 teams managed.

Would you pass on him too?

A well trodden path.

People produce ill conceived arguments.

Other people produce evidence based counter arguments.

Original people skillfully evade evidence based reasoning and stick to original ill conceived notions like a jobby to a blanket.

Doubt if money's an issue. He would know the sort of money Hearts can pay.

Anyone know when interviews are to take place?

wattie exploited

No ! 

Doubt if money's an issue. He would know the sort of money Hearts can pay.

Anyone know when interviews are to take place?

No idea and nothing coming out from the club. Barry Anderson is saying that Daly and his team will be in charge this week-end and he says quite possibly next as well as Hearts take their time to get this right.

Taking a long time over it doesn't mean the right decision will be made.

LarrysRightFoot

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2017/08/09/hearts-set-step-search-successor-ian-cathro-interviews-week-steve-mcclaren-edgar-davids-owen-coyle-dougie-freedman-ann-budge-craig-levein/

Apologies if already posted.

No idea how reliable this source is but it says although McClaren is a realistic candidate he won't be spoken to - this week.

Sounds more like scheduling conflicts than anything else though.

No idea and nothing coming out from the club. Barry Anderson is saying that Daly and his team will be in charge this week-end and he says quite possibly next as well as Hearts take their time to get this right.

Taking a long time over it doesn't mean the right decision will be made.

This week. But not McClaren. Ann is away next week so if they are to pick him it won't be until after Ibrox.

Caspian Primrose

That England job is a poisoned chalice. Its always been the players fault for the last 30 years imo.

Whoever the next manager is we need them in asap. Did i read/hear that Daly is getting a certain amount of games?

Let's face it there are not that many Managers around that have not been sacked at some point in their careers. Some more than others of course but then you have to also look at the circumstances surrrounding the club that they were sacked from etc.

It's not always the Managers fault as there can be behind the scenes activity that causes unrest etc or financial trouble etc.

I think that is the answer to Rudy T. Freedman has done well in the transfer market and his stats probably don't tell the whole story about him.

McLaren first if on the same wavelength Boothroyd then Freedman. All excellent options

Yup! this Rudy T

still think his record isnt that good going on his last 6 clubs sacked 4 times and with hearts he is not going to have a great budget for players .

:facepalm: managers get sacked all the time, it's nothing new.

GorgieRules22

This week. But not McClaren. Ann is away next week so if they are to pick him it won't be until after Ibrox.

We've got just over two weeks of the transfer deadline and we're still a manager,goalkeeper,a wide man and two midfielders short but we seem happy just to take our time about things.

By the time we appoint our new manager he won't have enough time to add to the squad and we'll be left with Bauben and Djoum running about our midfield chasing shadows and Jack dropping points left right and centre.

If we're all honest it's a shit start to the season and unless we act now the seasons going down the pan early doors.

Another poor season is on the cards.

still think his record isnt that good going on  his last 6 clubs sacked 4 times and with hearts he is not going to have a great budget for players .

Wattie?

You're obviously a big Hearts man but you do make some strange posts.

We've got just over two weeks of the transfer deadline and we're still a manager,goalkeeper,a wide man and two midfielders short but we seem happy just to take our time about things.

By the time we appoint our new manager he won't have enough time to add to the squad and we'll be left with Bauben and Djoum running about our midfield chasing shadows and Jack dropping points left right and centre.

If we're all honest it's a shit start to the season and unless we act now the seasons going down the pan early doors.

It's 3 weeks but yes its going to be tight. Although I do worry that Ann is away next week....if she leaves CL in charge who knows what will happen...he might just go mad in the market while she's no looking!

I think we'll have a new keeper next week though.

GorgieRules22

It's 3 weeks but yes its going to be tight. Although I do worry that Ann is away next week....if she leaves CL in charge who knows what will happen...he might just go mad in the market while she's no looking!

I think we'll have a new keeper next week though.

I'll not hold my breath on a new keeper as we've already waited for over a year. As for bringing in midfielders, if someone at the club can't notice how short we are they should just give up.

These areas need addressed our we'll find ourselves in real trouble pretty soon.

I'll not hold my breath on a new keeper as we've already waited for over a year. As for bringing in midfielders, if someone at the club can't notice how short we are they should just give up.

These areas need addressed our we'll find ourselves in real trouble pretty soon.

We've brought in the lad from Liverpool and when smith-brown is back Grezlak goes back into midfield. I know we need more but lets be honest here Walker and Djoum have a lot to answer for. They either feck off or commit. Although I'm not sure anyone actually wants Djoum so it's time he STFU and proved he's worth a move.

Buffalo Bill

I just wonder if he's interested to come here for a chance to win something and pick up another European tour over the money.

One final hurrah etc.

I think he'd be professional enough to give it his best shot. It may 'only' be Hearts but anyone in the manager's chair here will soon tell you about feeling the heat. Hearts is an intense job that comes with a lot of scrutiny. Robbie Neilson confirmed that comparing Hearts with MK Dons, who get nothing like the coverage that we get. There is no hiding place at Hearts, but if he did a good job, he'll feel the warmth and passion of our support; a crowd that sits right on top of the pitch. And geographically, Tynecastle is only 100 miles away from the action of the first and fifth biggest leagues in Europe. If he does well at Hearts, it will get noticed down south. He won't be out the limelight up here by any stretch of the imagination.

We have to sort out the midfield and goalkeeping situation before the window closes no matter who comes in as head coach AND when.

Can we really afford McLaren? Can he afford to accept what we can pay?

Read the thread back a page or two. This has been well discussed.

Winston Ingram

We appointed a manager recently who started at Ibrox. Might be wise to give that a swerve anyway.

Lucille's Thirsty

Just had a wee look at Vermin.net.

Apart from slagging McClaren one of the idiots reckons that Berra would be their 5th choice centre back :rolleyes:

WE HAVE TO DESTROY THOSE MUTANTS THIS SEASON!!

They should know there place by now.

I absolutely love every single little thing about our new stand. I go to sleep each night fantasising about it. I genuinely think we should enter it in to some kind of architecture competition. I'm so excited about this I am ready to implode... hopefully I won't ever get thread banned from here.

wattie exploited

:facepalm: managers get sacked all the time, it's nothing new.

what like his last 6 clubs he last one something like 11 years ago i think ? :verysmug:

Buffalo Bill

what like his last 6 clubs he last one something like 11 years ago i think ? :verysmug:

He won the Dutch league in 2010.

Buffalo Bill is fairly hanging his colours to the Shhteve mast.

It's almost like he knows someone who maybe or maybe not have some inside info.

Archived