Steve McClaren

Hendricks

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im sure he has a decent idea of whats going to be offered.

For McLaren its more likely about a good career move to help re-establish his profile. Or he's really interested in the challenge at a well run club. Maybe his experiences at more difficult environments eg Mike Ashley in England have led him to look away from England just now.

I doubt he needs the money.

Buffalo Bill

I still think of McLaren being first team coach for the treble winning Man Utd team including Champions League winner.

He was a highly rated coach at Derby County under Jim Smith when SAF took him to Man Utd during the treble-winning 1998/99 season. He stayed for another two seasons after that, thus meaning that Man Utd were champions in each of his three seasons there; a 100% record.

In that time he was first team coach to players like Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Yorke, Stam, Sheringham and their captain fantastic: Roy Keane.

He won 'Boro their first and only trophy, and took them to their first and only European final. We won the Dutch league with a team that had never won it before.

On the other foot, things didn't go to plan at his later stints at Derby, Wolfsburg and Newcastle, but the guy has some serious pedigree. 

I'd certainly take him at Hearts, and he would increase the club's profile significantly. But would he do a good job for us? 

There's only one way to find out.

For McLaren its more likely about a good career move to help re-establish his profile. Or he's really interested in the challenge at a well run club. Maybe his experiences at more difficult environments eg Mike Ashley in England have led him to look away from England just now.

I doubt he needs the money.

Yeah highly doubtful he needs the money.

I think McClaren will see this as a good opportunity. 

Deans-Hearts

Get him in now........... morale boost for the squad ahead of this weekends game and allows him to asses the team and its numerous weaknesses before the transfer window closes

August Landmesser

After reading that Stampy article I'm practically on my way to the airport now to drive him to Riccarton.

Moist.

Surely he'd be aware of the drop in salary before he even pressed send providing his CV

Any salary is better than no salary which is what he's on at the moment and he has the chance to put himself into the spotlight again if he can be a success.

Get him in now........... morale boost for the squad ahead of this weekends game and allows him to asses the team and its numerous weaknesses before the transfer window closes

This

PaulHartley10

Do we still have the triple training sessions? Ever since Neilson left the club the professionalism has been on a steady decline for me.

McClaren if he's interested please.

This could be why we have gone all quiet on further recruitment. Mrs B did say there would be more signings.

Escobar PHM

There's at least three undercover Hibs trolls on here trying to peddle the myth that they, as 'Hearts supporters', don't want McClaren.

Trying to sway the consensus? Or shiteing themselves at the thought of him taking over? I'd say both.

FTH.

Not sure if you are referring to me and don't really give a shite anyway. My preference would be Freedman over McClaren. I think he'd be hungrier and I think he'd be here for reasons which suit Hearts better than McLarens reasons. Freedman also spoke very well. He'd be considerably cheaper I would imagine and much more likely to hang around more than a season. His record in the last 3-4 years is comparable with McClarens and possibly better depending on how your measuring it.

Yes of course McClaren would be a good appointment on the face of it, maybe even a great one. Preferring someone else doesn't make me an undercover Hibs troll. It just makes me different to you. If you cant handle someone having an alternative viewpoint, and everyone who has one is a Hibs troll in your eyes, then you should be questioning your own presence here, not everyone elses.

Do we still have the triple training sessions? Ever since Neilson left the club the professionalism has been on a steady decline for me.

The first season back in the premier league we looked unfit as hell!! And that was with double sessions!!

By the way the triple sessions are a bit of a myth.

They weren't mandatory and only about 3 players used to turn up!!

Even captain Alim used to swerve them.

The first season back in the premier league we looked unfit as hell!! And that was with double sessions!!

This! team always looked laboured.

Lucille's Thirsty

People on here that are saying McLaren wouldn't fit in or he's not managed players at this level, have got to be hobos on the wind up?

Regarding Levein at Coral are there any restrictions on him with regards to betting on Hearts like if a player is leaving Hearts he would have a good idea on who too. Is he allowed to bet on that?

We should want a younger manager, but with experience at a high level,someone who is still hungry to prove himself, it narrows the field a little

but they are available.

As has been said by some posters if we were to get Steve McClaren this would be a real coup and akin to George Burley, his experience is even greater than Burley's. Can't believe people don't want him. Just who are those high level experienced younger managers.

People on here that are saying McLaren wouldn't fit in or he's not managed players at this level, have got to be hobos on the wind up?

Regarding Levein at Coral are there any restrictions on him with regards to betting on Hearts like if a player is leaving Hearts he would have a good idea on who too. Is he allowed to bet on that?

Perhaps the people who have doubts about McClaren might be Hearts fans with a different point of view, no?

McClaren would be a breath of fresh air and a real coup for the club.

Two year deal with options...!

PaulHartley10

Disappointing to hear! I'd like to see someone with the highest experience possible.

McClaren would be a breath of fresh air and a real coup for the club.

Two year deal with options...!

No options when it comes to beating the Hibs.  :behead:

I think mclaren coming in would also be a huge boost for daly. An experienced figure to mentor him and give him time to develop and eventually succeed him

ford donald

No.Common sense would tell you.

PsychocAndy

The "He would cost too much" argument doesn't really stand up. Hearts have a vacancy for a Head Coach, McClaren has said he fancies the job, he will know, roughly, the pay for the job, but still applies for it. 

He must be missing the buzz of being in and around footballers, passing on ideas, out thinking other managers. He may get headhunted by other clubs, or use us as a shop window, but for that to happen we will be winning.

A win win for me.

RustyRightPeg

Any salary is better than no salary which is what he's on at the moment and he has the chance to put himself into the spotlight again if he can be a success.

Precisely. A club on the up we are, believe it or not. Not surprised people of his calibre are interested, it's an attractive job!

Burley was given the tools McLaren will not have that luxury

He won't have the same tools, certainly. He will have some more than decent tools of his own already though, and his new workshop would be furnished with some nifty kit too.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

He won't have the same tools, certainly. He will have some more than decent tools of his own already though, and his new workshop would be furnished with some nifty kit too.

I think he will be disappointed. Our idea of ambition and investment will fall short of his.

I hope not but that's my expectation based on our current economic place

stuartmitchell

Interesting point. I was at Riccarton the day after the Dunfermline game and it was dead. Robbie would've had them in either running them into the ground as punishment for being so poor or assessing where it went wrong and learning from it. I don't believe we are working as hard as we used to.

No he isnt.

For once Glastonbury has a point. I work in Wiltshire and my colleagues are all taking the piss as a result of our interest in McLaren. I don't want him or his brolley anywhere near Tynecastle.

McClaren doesn't feel like a right fit for Hearts at this moment,I feel as supporters we have lost all touch with our coaches and problaby most of our players,I'm not sure he is the man to unite the club as our problems run deeper than our shite starting 11.

McClaren doesn't feel like a right fit for Hearts at this moment,I feel as supporters we have lost all touch with our coaches and problaby most of our players,I'm not sure he is the man to unite the club as our problems run deeper than our shite starting 11.

If he puts a team on the park that wins games the support would be united. 

Think that example would be called as insider info and is illegal.

If you have insider info and invest money in shares you can get in some pretty serious doodoo

I think he will be disappointed. Our idea of ambition and investment will fall short of his.

I hope not but that's my expectation based on our current economic place

That did cross my mind right enough. However, after reading Stampy's article, I am less worried about that. I think his friendship with Levein may mean that he is more than aware of what he would be taking on. One thing I don't think Levein can be criticised for fairly, is ambition. Levein since coming back to Hearts has sometimes fallen short on some areas, but he's tried to bring in some top players and helped facilitate others. He's taken a chance on a few others too, but hey... maybe he's a gambling man! :lol:

I think Levein, McClaren and MacPhee could be a pretty good football management structure.

Billy Walsh

If mclaren is appointed, it would lift the entire club in a way that we have not seen since Burley arrived over 10 years ago.

I'm very proud of what the club has achieved off the pitch since admin but recently, I feel little connection with the players or coaches. I'm hoping that mclaren would change that and give us a team to want to get behind fully.

Exactly where I am at.

Not sure if you are referring to me and don't really give a shite anyway. My preference would be Freedman over McClaren. I think he'd be hungrier and I think he'd be here for reasons which suit Hearts better than McLarens reasons. Freedman also spoke very well. He'd be considerably cheaper I would imagine and much more likely to hang around more than a season. His record in the last 3-4 years is comparable with McClarens and possibly better depending on how your measuring it.

Yes of course McClaren would be a good appointment on the face of it, maybe even a great one. Preferring someone else doesn't make me an undercover Hibs troll. It just makes me different to you. If you cant handle someone having an alternative viewpoint, and everyone who has one is a Hibs troll in your eyes, then you should be questioning your own presence here, not everyone elses.

Debate is fine, but every single Hibs troll seems dead against McClaren. Strange eh?

And for the record, I wasn't referring to you. But as we've discussed before, you know that I think you're Hibs. And you don't give a **** what I think. So it's all good :-)

Lord Beni of Gorgie

That did cross my mind right enough. However, after reading Stampy's article, I am less worried about that. I think his friendship with Levein may mean that he is more than aware of what he would be taking on. One thing I don't think Levein can be criticised for fairly, is ambition. Levein since coming back to Hearts has sometimes fallen short on some areas, but he's tried to bring in some top players and helped facilitate others. He's taken a chance on a few others too, but hey... maybe he's a gambling man! :lol:

I think Levein, McClaren and MacPhee could be a pretty good football management structure.

Maybe Craig likes a punt :lol:

I hope you are correct. Other teams all with momentum. We need a full 180 at the moment. McLaren will be a coup. If we back him

Rudolf's Mate

Only just catching up but have people actually said he's not managed at this level as in being a bad thing [emoji23]

Maybe Craig likes a punt :lol:

I hope you are correct. Other teams all with momentum. We need a full 180 at the moment. McLaren will be a coup. If we back him

:jjyay:

Debate is fine, but every single Hibs troll seems dead against McClaren. Strange eh?

And for the record, I wasn't referring to you. But as we've discussed before, you know that I think you're Hibs. And you don't give a **** what I think. So it's all good :-)

Really? Are they?

Every H1b5 friend I have are texting me "are you really wanting the 'Wally with the Brolly'?

They're all having a good old chuckle- and putting on false Dutch accents!

He may be hugely qualified and a name coup but be braced with the easy piss taking.

Really? Are they?

Every H1b5 friend I have are texting me "are you really wanting the 'Wally with the Brolly'?

He may be hugely qualified and a name coup but be braced with the easy piss taking.

Honestly dont care about piss taking :lol: 

when he starts winning games nobody will be laughing 

Only just catching up but have people actually said he's not managed at this level as in being a bad thing [emoji23]

I can't get my head around the fact that Hearts fans wouldn't want him? The mind boggles. Let's go for freedman instead..... Nuts.

Really? Are they?

Your Hibs supporting mates are either thick as ****, or over-compensating for the shudder they are experiencing whilst this remains a possibility. You really need to be able to recognise this.

Yes, Hibs fans calling Steve McClaren the Wally with the Brolly will keep me up at nights right enough. I'm bracing myself as we speak. :rofl:

The pop-corn toothed, water bottle kicking, wife-beating mutant in the Hibs dugout is more than enough entertainment already. B)

Rudolf's Mate

I can't get my head around the fact that Hearts fans wouldn't want him? The mind boggles. Let's go for freedman instead..... Nuts.

It's Kickback J [emoji23]

Aye but Wally wiv a Brolly, eh no?

Escobar PHM

I think you'd be better served discussing this in private with the moderating team. Clearly you've got some proof and can identify these individuals. I'd be more than happy to identify and prove myself to a moderator. Until that request comes along, do us a favour and shut yer puss.

Back in the day we used to drink pints of wine (amongst other things) down the Cowgate. Sam would be made very welcome I'm sure :lol:

Drank my first snakebite down the Cowgate back in the day, maybe Sneaky Petes but cani mind :)

Fitzroy Pointon

Really? Are they?

They really cant take the piss out of anyone when they have a horrible ned that square go's people in the street as a manager.  

I think you'd be better served discussing this in private with the moderating team. Clearly you've got some proof and can identify these individuals. I'd be more than happy to identify and prove myself to a moderator. Until that request comes along, do us a favour and shut yer puss.

Haha na yer orite.

For once Glastonbury has a point. I work in Wiltshire and my colleagues are all taking the piss as a result of our interest in McLaren. I don't want him or his brolley anywhere near Tynecastle.

You've gone soft

dunciboyjambo

Levein is in the bookies a lot, he likes a bet or two on the dogs.

Archived