Steve McClaren

Hendricks

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve is pleading for the job.

From that article it doesn't sound like he even applied and is waiting for us to call him, in fact he's waiting for any kent to phone him.

McLaren's quote suggests there has no contact yet from Hearts. Probably reading too much into it, but that's my interpretation!

Voice of reason

Time for a wee chat with Sssshteeve surely, lets find out what he wants

He'll want a huge salary, a huge transfer budget and a get-out clause to go to the first English club that asks. Even with the first two, he managed to get Newcastle relegated. I understand why people are excited by such a big-name but I can't help but feel we are being used to keep his name in the media spotlight. No harm in talking to him though if only to call his bluff.

Him speaking directly about being an out of work manager might be a sly wee nudge to Levein that he would run the show should he come up and not just head coach it?

The Old Tolbooth

Jesus wept. I can't keep up. Can't we just have Cathro back? Then I could at least know what to expect for the season ahead.

Don't even begin to joke about that :(

Can't see us being able to afford both his wages and the transfer budget he would want.

I am still in the DF camp.

scott herbertson

Not keen on him myself but would back him if he comes.

I notice that in neither of the articles does McClaren himself actually mention Hearts, it's just journalist spinning.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Skybet market now has Pressley and Freedman joint favs but Archibald is the latest to come in for a bit of support to 6s.

Nobody has a clue, Budge is playing a blinder  :lol:

Skybet market now has Pressley and Freedman joint favs but Archibald is the latest to come in for a bit of support to 6s.

Nobody has a clue, Budge is playing a blinder :lol:

She probably lumped this months FOH dough on Pressley while sunbathing on her yacht just to get the bookies going.

Plenty cash...fuggedaboutit...

::troll:::'>

High profile and has to be taken seriously if he really is interested but does he really fit what we require? I'm not so sure.

What I'd suggest we're looking for is a guy who can work with a limited budget, promote youth players, install a style of play throughout the club which will yield results in the Scottish league, have a network of contacts to bring in bargains who can be standouts in this league, a motivator and have a basic knowledge of the Scottish game...beyond the old firm, be able to work with and improve or current squad and work with the coaches we have and ready them for management.

I don't think McClaren could do all of that. He's managed at a high level with some of the best players in England. I think like many of his jobs he'd have a short term impact which would soon fade and he'd get frustrated at the skill level he was working with and unable to increase that by much. I won't be gutted if he doesn't come tbh.

Nobody has a clue, Budge is playing a blinder :lol:

Thread on Archibald on JKB

RustyRightPeg

It's been that way since day one the bookies don't know if they're coming or going!

It's quite exciting if I'm honest!

It's been that way since day one the bookies don't know if they're coming or going!

It's quite exciting if I'm honest!

Agreed, although I'm starting to move from 'quite excited' to 'just hurry up and pick someone'.  

RustyRightPeg

Agreed, although I'm starting to move from 'quite excited' to 'just hurry up and pick someone'.  

Well aye, but the intrigue still has me no edge.

Still at least another 5/6 days till the appointments made though.

Now has no chance. No way will the club opt for someone who has been looking elsewhere. We need someone to commit for a couple of years minimum.

132goals1958

High profile and has to be taken seriously if he really is interested but does he really fit what we require? I'm not so sure.

What I'd suggest we're looking for is a guy who can work with a limited budget, promote youth players, install a style of play throughout the club which will yield results in the Scottish league, have a network of contacts to bring in bargains who can be standouts in this league, a motivator and have a basic knowledge of the Scottish game...beyond the old firm, be able to work with and improve or current squad and work with the coaches we have and ready them for management.

I don't think McClaren could do all of that. He's managed at a high level with some of the best players in England. I think like many of his jobs he'd have a short term impact which would soon fade and he'd get frustrated at the skill level he was working with and unable to increase that by much. I won't be gutted if he doesn't come tbh.

I am also becoming less inclined for some of the reasons you mention. Whether we like it or not Scottish Football lacks credibility down south. Subconsciously he might view the job as low risk in terms of his reputation and see it out until he hangs up his brolly. A younger manager like Freedman has still everything to prove with a long career in front of him and on that basis he or someone with a similar profile would be my preferred option.

Independence

Now has no chance. No way will the club opt for someone who has been looking elsewhere. We need someone to commit for a couple of years minimum.

Garbage. How do you know he has been looking elsewhere? Perhaps other clubs have contacted him? He is entitled to listen to all offers. How do you know he wouldn't commit to managing the third biggest club in Scotland with a new stand and huge fan base! What s great challenge for him. Let me think Lennon in one dugout McClaren in the other!!!! Wow what a contrast. I'm smiling st such a wonderful thought. I question the credibility of any Hearts fan who questions SM.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

It's like a cracking murder mystery.

Who will it be and when will we find out.

Play suspense music :lol:

Garbage. How do you know he has been looking elsewhere? Perhaps other clubs have contacted him? He is entitled to listen to all offers. How do you know he wouldn't commit to managing the third biggest club in Scotland with a new stand and huge fan base! What s great challenge for him. Let me think Lennon in one dugout McClaren in the other!!!! Wow what a contrast. I'm smiling st such a wonderful thought. I question the credibility of any Hearts fan who questions SM.

SM will stretch our manager salary budget to the limit and probably beyond

SM would have to work on a very low budget, mostly with what he already has. I'd question if we really someone of that high a profile given the league we are playing in.

SM would bugger off to the first English club that called him

SM would cost us a bloody fortune in pay off if it didn't work out.

SM, in short, has lots of cons as well as lots of pros.

It's like a cracking murder mystery.

Who will it be and when will we find out.

Play suspense music :lol:

Jon Daly in the dugout with a candlestick...

On the appointment, I really hope she is!

3fingersreid

He'll want a huge salary, a huge transfer budget and a get-out clause to go to the first English club that asks. Even with the first two, he managed to get Newcastle relegated. I understand why people are excited by such a big-name but I can't help but feel we are being used to keep his name in the media spotlight. No harm in talking to him though if only to call his bluff.

That's how I'm seeing it tbh . My preference is for DF to get the post , with the current backroom staff kept in place

south morocco

That's how I'm seeing it tbh . My preference is for DF to get the post , with the current backroom staff kept in place

south morocco

I'm of the same opinion. I'm hoping DF gets the nod, he just seems a far better fit tbh.

I'm of the same opinion. I'm hoping DF gets the nod, he just seems a far better fit tbh.

What does that even mean? McCLaren or Freedman. It's an easy choice. McCLaren all day long.

SM would have to work on a very low budget, mostly with what he already has. I'd question if we really someone of that high a profile given the league we are playing in.

Firstly I would say that Mrs B is unlikely to let any new manager stretch our budget to the limit and probably beyond.

That apart I just don't think he is a good enough manager for what we want.  He has been unemployed for a fair bit of time and if English clubs thought much of him he would have been snapped up before now.  Management is about winners and losers and he fails the test.

Special Agent Dale Cooper

Im not sure what to think to be honest. I doubt our salary could match what he was offered in Israel. Perhaps he just wants to stay in management?

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

south morocco

What does that even mean? McCLaren or Freedman. It's an easy choice. McCLaren all day long.

It means what it says, I think Freedman is a better option for us than McClaren, all about opinion. Has McClaren formally thrown his hat in the ring or is it press speculation?

Buffalo Bill

As much as I'd love it to be SMc, my gut feeling is AB and CL might see it as being too much of a risk, seeing he is, to be fair, a bit hit or miss wherever he goes.

But he'd certainly raise the profile of the club and I do think he's a very good coach, despite a number of sackings in recent years.

If Dougie Freedman or whoever gets the job, they'll get my backing too.

As much as I think SMc would be a fantastic appointment, I've yet to see a single quote from him in any of the news reports linking him to the job.

That has me worried.

You would think that with all the speculation, someone would have asked him directly, and received some form of specific answer...

Think that's right

All we need now is a live "I'm a Celebrity get me out of here" style finale

Steve McClaren it might be you,

Paulo it isn't you,

Elvis....and so on

I'd pay to watch that TV Gold

3fingersreid

It means that I'd prefer Freedman as I think he's the better choice ,in my opinion ,for the club at this time , that said if it's Mclaren then fine I'll accept that decision too .

Firstly I would say that Mrs B is unlikely to let any new manager stretch our budget to the limit and probably beyond.

That apart I just don't think he is a good enough manager for what we want.  He has been unemployed for a fair bit of time and if English clubs thought much of him he would have been snapped up before now.  Management is about winners and losers and he fails the test.

I don't want him mostly because we'd be 'beneath' him in his mind and we need a highly motivated hungry winner in charge. I think Freedman fits that profile more than McClaren.

Either one of those though, are probably going to be looking for substantially more money than we would have been paying Cathro, or Neilson for that matter (not that I know what either man was earning obviously)

If he has been looking elsewhere, then he won't be the only out of work manager to do that.

I'm still going with McLaren as my 1st choice for a couple of reasons, one it raises the clubs profile considerably both down south and in Europe and secondly it raises the caliber of player available in our budget, regardless of his perceived failure at some clubs, players want to play for managers like McLaren.

So Make Some Noise..

I'm still going with McLaren as my 1st choice for a couple of reasons, one it raises the clubs profile considerably both down south and in Europe and secondly it raises the caliber of player available in our budget, regardless of his perceived failure at some clubs, players want to play for managers like McLaren.

Agree with this. Commercially, if we can get him on reasonable wages it would be a real win for the 'business' side of the club. Regardless of his somewhat hot/cold record of late, he would be someone that can motivate a group of players at this level, no doubt. Still my number one for the job but i'd take freedman if this fell through. Wouldn't touch Pressley or Hartley with the hibs job!

The Treasurer

Probably true, so why just list the cons ?

Seymour M Hersh

I've been leaning towards DF for a couple of weeks and Schtevie boy throwing his hat back in the ring doesn't change that. From the pretty limited information we have Freedman seems to be the best fit (assuming he stays consistent with his methods).

If he has been looking elsewhere, then he won't be the only out of work manager to do that.

Most unemployed people do look for work wherever they can find it to be fair.

No offence to Mclaren but I don't fancy him for Hearts. May have a great cv paper but I'm not convinced he'll deliver for us... see him as a risk.

Just think he won't be the man to get the players motivated for that all important derby game... and the thought of seeing him standing on the sidelines with a brolly sends s shiver up my spine.

I feel more now than ever we need a manager who can strike the fear of god into a squad that has not got out of third gear for the past 6 months. The players needs a rocket up their backsides and motivation.... and yeah a former Hearts man would help (imo)... but poss Freedman is a better shout.

Altho I still think it'll be either SSP or SPH!

Ibrahim Tall

On the "he'd move to England first chance he got", that isn't necessarily a negative. 2 reasons, that's unlikely if he makes a complete ***** of it here and secondly we'd get fairly decent compensation(by SPL standards). Any job he's likely to get is more likely to be upper championship or even EPL given his history compared with your PH/SP who'd be looking at league 1.

jambo in iraq

absolute nonsense.

Would far rather have a manager who is in demand than one who doesn't seem to be able to get another gig north or south of the border despite a managerial merrygoround as usual in the summer (ala Pressley and Hartley).

Lets face it, who ever we get in, if an EPL team comes knocking in a week, month or even a year we will lose them!

Archived