Steve McClaren

Hendricks

So.He can't motivate or do the tactical side of the game?.He is however a coach?.That's Cathro.I'm puzzled.

Yeah Cathro and MacLaren are pretty much exactly the same.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hearts would be punching well above our weight if we signed SM and I like many would be chuffed to bits if he did join us

I was chatting to an English mate last night who is knowledgeable about football. I.e. I respect his opinion.

His view on McClaren was that he is a poor manger but a great coach. He said his weekness was day to day stuff and identifying good players. When I told him we had a DoF and chief scout he had a big smile and said that would really work for in his favour.

So he in now pretty positive and excited about him potentially coming to Hearts setup.

Positive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we just got rid of a useless twonk who was an 'excellent coach' but a God-awful manager. Now people are getting their knickers wet over someone with exactly the same set of skills? Makes me even more concerned than I was before. Would much rather have the full package - someone with coaching and man management skills as well as tactical nous.

Still no idea who that might be.

Out of all the managers I've seen quoted for the job the only 1 I'd imagine falling in to that category would be Jon Daly but I don't think the poster would be happy with him?

Mclaren would want to be the head honcho when it comes to the team.Style of play,formations etc.He'd also want his own assistants imo and this may prove to be the ideals which in the end means he won't be manager.Hope i'm wrong and a compromise is met.

I see you read Phil stamps article.:thumbsup:

Rocco_Jambo

People on here that are saying McLaren wouldn't fit in or he's not managed players at this level, have got to be hobos on the wind up?

Regarding Levein at Coral are there any restrictions on him with regards to betting on Hearts like if a player is leaving Hearts he would have a good idea on who too. Is he allowed to bet on that?

Do you really think bookies price up markets on what team will Bjorn Johnson/Jamie Walker etc will play for next?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we just got rid of a useless twonk who was an 'excellent coach' but a God-awful manager. Now people are getting their knickers wet over someone with exactly the same set of skills? Makes me even more concerned than I was before. Would much rather have the full package - someone with coaching and man management skills as well as tactical nous.

Yep Cathro is exactly the same as SM.

I give up.

Cruyff Turn

So.He can't motivate or do the tactical side of the game?.He is however a coach?.That's Cathro.I'm puzzled.

Not saying that, clearly he has some tactical knowledge and will be respected.

I'm saying he's a coach. He's not like Otto Rehhagel for example who tactically masterminded Greece to become EC winners or a motivator like Sam Allardyce or Neil Warnock.

If Mr Craig Levein ever finds himself needing someone to place a bet for him, I'm there. My email address is:

ourheartsfansare****ingthick.com

I'll put a wee line on for you big fella. :thumbsup:

McLaren won't even look at our job when he realises salary on offer. He is just using us to put him his name in the media spotlight. Not a chanc he would come here for ?5k per week max. Not a chance we can afford any more than that.

Voice of reason

Google 'worst England manager of all time' and Steve McClaren will virtually always be in the top 2 in any list. I don't mind people raving about the excellent job he did with a couple of clubs but to say 'we must appoint this guy because he managed England' is really daft. If we just considered the job he did with England then we should totally rule him out. His last few club appointments have been disasters too. I can't believe so many Hearts fans can't see how risky this appointment would be. This guy could be our version of Terry Butcher- just replace ex-England captain with ex-England manager. Big names do not guarantee success.

Jambo 4 Ever

Google 'worst England manager of all time' and Steve McClaren will virtually always be in the top 2 in any list. I don't mind people raving about the excellent job he did with a couple of clubs but to say 'we must appoint this guy because he managed England' is really daft. If we just considered the job he did with England then we should totally rule him out. His last few club appointments have been disasters too. I can't believe so many Hearts fans can't see how risky this appointment would be. This guy could be our version of Terry Butcher- just replace ex-England captain with ex-England manager. Big names do not guarantee success.

Fair point...

Might be better sticking with someone like Pressley

Morgaro Gomis

Fair point...

:rofl: you're beyond parody.

Fair point...

Give me your reasons for Pressley then?

Oh and " has played for Hearts" can't be one of them.

BobbyJenkins

It's not necessarily what he did with England but that he had achieved enough in the game at that point to be given the chance.

There are no guarantees, that's football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing comes with a guarantee, I just think he'd be more Burley than Cathro. An old head with masses of experience would surely have the respect in our dressing room couple that with what must be a yellow pages size contact list and I'm willing to roll the dice.

The Internet

The lengths people will go to play this down is unreal. Comparing him to Terry Butcher is the best one yet though.

maroonlegions

Yep Cathro is exactly the same as SM.

I give up.

So when did Cathro MANAGE England. :uhoh2:

Seriously though, SM is invaluable in regards to his experience , experience when applying for jobs is the primary asset most employers look for..

The Cathro experiment should never be allowed to be repeated.

maroonlegions

So i take it Hearts will face the same caliber of teams England did.

We are in the SPL not the EPL.  And also what are SM have in regards to players he knows??

Buffalo Bill

McLaren won't even look at our job when he realises salary on offer. He is just using us to put him his name in the media spotlight. Not a chanc he would come here for ?5k per week max. Not a chance we can afford any more than that.

Taking into account he has links to both John Colquhoun and Craig Levein, what makes you think he'll have no idea what sort of wage is on offer?

And also, what does a guy who has made millions and millions of pounds from the game over the last 20 years need with more money when it's been reported that he's just looking for a good job and a route back into management?

Ferryjambo99

Fair point...

Aside from the fact you're trolling McLarens win % with England is better than Pressleys at any club

Billy Walsh

Fair point...

I *think* this may have been a sarcastic response..

Gigolo-Aunt

There's at least three undercover Hibs trolls on here trying to peddle the myth that they, as 'Hearts supporters', don't want McClaren.

Trying to sway the consensus? Or shiteing themselves at the thought of him taking over? I'd say both.

FTH.

There is a guy I sometimes see at work who I was speaking to today - he is a season ticket holder/FOH etc.  He does not want McLaren either - would prefer Freedman.

Maybe drop the kickback cop routine.

Fair point...

You're not known for your wit JiH, so fair play for this sharp retort.

Oh. Just realised...

There is a guy I sometimes see at work who I was speaking to today - he is a season ticket holder/FOH etc. He does not want McLaren either - would prefer Freedman.

DEARIE ME!

:rofl:

The Emgland job has destroyed better managers than MacLaren.

The Emgland job has destroyed better managers than MacLaren.

They usually qualify for major championships though. People using the fact he has managed England as a plus point don't seem to be taken into account how badly he did when he was there

They usually qualify for major championships though. People using the fact he has managed England as a plus point don't seem to be taken into account how badly he did when he was there

The plus point regarding the England job was that he got it.

You don't like McClaren. I think we all got that also!

McClaren was unsuccessful as an International manager but has done okay at club level, very similar to Craig Levein.

He's not my number one choice but he is a manager that has a lot of experience, won the English League Cup with Middlesbrough in 2004 and the Dutch Eredivisie in 2010. He's had success in Europe taking Middlesbrough to the UEFA Cup last-16 in 2005 and the Final in 2006, he took Twente into the Europa League last-32 in 2010, last-16 in 2012 and the Group Stages in 2013.

He has failed at club level as well. He's only kept managerial positions at club level for more than a year 4 times.

The reasons for him leaving his previous managerial roles are;

Middlesbrough 2006 - offered England manager's job

England 2007 - failed to qualify for Euro 2008 (sacked)

Twente 2010 - offered Wolfsburg manager's job

Wolfsburg 2011 - poor run of results (sacked)

N.Forest 2011 - poor run of results (resigned)

Twente 2013 - no assurances over position after poor run of results (resigned)

Derby 2015 - missed out on play-offs after being top in February (sacked)

Newcastle 2016 - in relegation zone with 10 games to go (sacked)

Derby 2017 - "significant, unexpected and persistent decline in results, team unity and morale" (sacked)

Not the greatest reading looking back at his career, but he is someone that would command a lot of respect in Scotland for his achievements in England and Holland, he could be a success in Scotland.

Of course McClaren doesn't need the money.....he's probably had about ?10m in pay-offs from all the jobs he's been sacked from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a guy I sometimes see at work who I was speaking to today - he is a season ticket holder/FOH etc. He does not want McLaren either - would prefer Freedman.

I know loads of Jambos that would prefer Freedman mate. That wasn't my point. I'm sittin here laughing though, at the Hibs trolls on this thread. When you know they're trolls, and you see their constant put down of McClaren, it becomes quite amusing to read.

The Kickback cop routine will be retired the day after the mods cull the infestation. Until then? Ullo ullo ullo :-)

The plus point regarding the England job was that he got it.

You don't like McClaren. I think we all got that also!

:laugh: don't know whatever gave you that idea!

The Cathro experiment should never be allowed to be repeated.

This.

Can you imagine this place. It must never be repeated EVER

McClaren was unsuccessful as an International manager but has done okay at club level, very similar to Craig Levein.

He's not my number one choice but he is a manager that has a lot of experience, won the English League Cup with Middlesbrough in 2004 and the Dutch Eredivisie in 2010. He's had success in Europe taking Middlesbrough to the UEFA Cup last-16 in 2005 and the Final in 2006, he took Twente into the Europa League last-32 in 2010, last-16 in 2012 and the Group Stages in 2013.

He has failed at club level as well. He's only kept managerial positions at club level for more than a year 4 times.

The reasons for him leaving his previous managerial roles are;

Middlesbrough 2006 - offered England manager's job

England 2007 - failed to qualify for Euro 2008 (sacked)

Twente 2010 - offered Wolfsburg manager's job

Wolfsburg 2011 - poor run of results (sacked)

N.Forest 2011 - poor run of results (resigned)

Twente 2013 - no assurances over position after poor run of results (resigned)

Derby 2015 - missed out on play-offs after being top in February (sacked)

Newcastle 2016 - in relegation zone with 10 games to go (sacked)

Derby 2017 - "significant, unexpected and persistent decline in results, team unity and morale" (sacked)

Not the greatest reading looking back at his career, but he is someone that would command a lot of respect in Scotland for his achievements in England and Holland, he could be a success in Scotland.

That is a catalogue of disaster.  One could easily deduce he is not much of a manager in himself but if he is aided and abetted by a good coach he obviously does better.

One thing to remember with McClaren is that he will probably require a higher (than our normal) salary and when we inevitably come to pay him off, it will be costly.

Weighing things up it's a "No" from me.

Howdy Doody Jambo

I don't know what some people expect, Zidane isn't going to leave Real Madrid to come to Tynecastle, every manager has been sacked or has a fault

The only way Hearts are going is up

i will gladly take anybody on the shortlist although guaranteed some on here will not be happy

I'd take Daly over Cathro for starters

Roll on next week

:laugh: don't know whatever gave you that idea!

I understand your reasons. But at club level he's done ok. Won trophies in England and Holland. Granted he's had a couple of **** ups but most managers have.

Who would be your choice?

McClaren's club managerial achievements alone put him in a bracket which would normally be way above us. The England job is a complete red herring.

Like lots of managers he's has failures. A lot of high stock managers have had very little in the way of achievement. McClaren has had a few notable achievements.

Maybe we should have gone laughing stock MAX and advertised for a manager who's never been sacked. Aye?

Archived