Board Meeting

Paulie Walnut

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

He has signed a 3.5 year contract, I believe at ?200k per year.

If we sack him without him breaching the terms of his contract, he is entitled to 2.5 years salary at ?200k = ?500k.

It is a disgrace and "someone" should walk - but that is how contract law works I am afraid.

This clown is on that much and he goes around in black primark/next shirts? :wtf:  

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We won twice at Fir Park last season and Killie are absolutely mince.

Two of the best fixtures we could have asked for, considering we knew we'd be away early on.

Nothing to be afraid of, certainly.

Kilmarnock have had the Indian sign over us.

I remember Kilmarnock came to Tynie winning 4 games in a row until I think we won 5-0 against them in admin season.

I can't remember the scores between us lately though.

We did beat them 3-2 at Rugby park in cup.

michael_bolton

Is he due support from an employer though when he is failing so badly and surely it would just be just window dressing that few would believe anyway.

The second point is I would probably call it a day myself before the second statement came out.

I think that's precisely when people expect support from their employer.

And having it done in public would be enough for most people to get themselves off sick with stress.

Why do people feel they are entitled to blood in public? It's sick when you think about it. Let the guy get on with his job. If he gets sacked, he gets sacked. Until then he's entitled to get on with his work with a bit of dignity and without his employer humiliating him in public to keep a bunch of completely unqualified amateurs on some internet forums happy.

I'm not saying he;s doing a good job, not for a moment. But the sense of entitlement about another person's job is ridiculous. Hardly helpful either.

This clown is on that much and he goes around in black primark/next shirts? :wtf:

The quality in primark is dreadful tbf.

michael_bolton

Kilmarnock have had the Indian sign over us.

I remember Kilmarnock came to Tynie winning 4 games in a row until I think we won 5-0 against them in admin season.

I can't remember the scores between us lately though.

We did beat them 3-2 at Rugby park in cup.

So, other than superstition, nothing to worry about.

They're a poor team with a novice manager. Snap.

No reason we can't win there.

Dallas Green

Compared to Hearts, since Christmas every other Premiership club has had a decent manager and team to support, many working with a fraction of Hearts resources but still bettering Hearts results.

I am aware of the stats.

I'm not defending Cathro in my posts here.

However, other than Jim McIntyre, I'm not sure I'd rather have any of the managers from the bottom six.

The club never saw this coming. They have no idea what to do. Another 4 games ? To prove what ? They are all desperate for him to survive and possibly hoping that playing away from home for the next few weeks will take the pressure off him and the team.

Well if that is the case they are incompetent. The guy should be out the door now even if they don' t have a replacement lined up. The team would do better without him even with Levein.

The fact that there has been no statement at all re cathro shows both the arrogance of budge and levein and the comtemptthey have for the fans

Captain America

If he was staying there would have something said by now.

I taking the silence as the other way round.

If he was gone I would assume we would have heard something by now. 

loveofthegame

That is far far more likely. Silence = status quo goes on.

Nonsense to suggest otherwise.

That is correct - but what credibility does Cathro now have for another job in football?

6 years coaching in much bigger clubs than Hearts will stand him in better stead than failing at his first punt as a head coach

I get that people are angry but this guy has a fantastic coaching pedigree - he will get a very decent job as an assistant coach elsewhere if he wants.

Glamorgan Jambo

IMO the reason we haven't heard anything is that we're getting all our ducks in a row regarding departures and interim arrangements. I'm sure there will be more than one on the way out

It's a big call for Ann but she's made them, successfully, many times before.

Risky assumption - who is Cathro going to get a job with now?

So we pay up the ?500k due to him on a monthly basis for sitting on his erse in the garden. Great!

It would seem Levein has the business acumen of a 12 year old!

?500k wtf surely he ain't on ?250k a year

Captain America

IMO the reason we haven't heard anything is that we're getting all our ducks in a row regarding departures and interim arrangements. I'm sure there will be more than one on the way out

I hope your scenario turns out to be correct.

Francis Albert

I think that's precisely when people expect support from their employer.

And having it done in public would be enough for most people to get themselves off sick with stress.

Why do people feel they are entitled to blood in public? It's sick when you think about it. Let the guy get on with his job. If he gets sacked, he gets sacked. Until then he's entitled to get on with his work with a bit of dignity and without his employer humiliating him in public to keep a bunch of completely unqualified amateurs on some internet forums happy.

I'm not saying he;s doing a good job, not for a moment. But the sense of entitlement about another person's job is ridiculous. Hardly helpful either.

One of my abiding memories of Cathro is of him on the pitch and milking the crowd's applause after the Hamilton game, one of all of two good performances so far in his Hearts career. He was acting like we'd just won a cup. You can't expect to accept the plaudits without taking the flak. As it happens such is Cathro's remarkable faith in his own ability the flak doesn't seem to affect him ... he just deflects it to the players. Or the fans with their "high expectations".

Oh and I suppose we are amateurs in the sense we just generously fund the club without much of a return on the playing side this year, whereas Cathro as a professional rakes in a good salary for delivering nothing. We should know our place!

Can I have some of what you are having GJ?

Beyond a joke that he hasn't been sacked yet. The board are backing themselves into a bigger corner and even if they sacked him after another 4 games, there will be so much damage to repair between them and the fans that could be difficult to fix in the short term. They are not doing anything to respect us and when the fans views are so clear, that's not acceptable.

As nothing has happened since Saturday, unless its to do with compensation, there is no way that he will go now until next week at the earliest. It was either do it immediately or it won't happen. It's frightening how out of touch the people in charge are.

I think we all want to win the 4 games, but the 4 competitive games we've seen so far suggest we'll struggle a tad. We don't play well away from home. Rugby Park has not been a happy hunting ground. Fir Park not much better, though I could see us scrapping for a point in both.

This stay if execution is doing no one any favours, and that includes Cathro.

Hate to say it but we're on the verge lf putting the club at risk here. By the end of the Aberdeen game we may have 2 or 3 points max. Such is my lack of confidence in him. He's a big risk to us imo.

Watched the game on tv and barring a few players none looked like they wanted to be there. That goes back to him as Head Coach and his man management. Listening to his post match interviews are framkly skin crawling.

I really can't believe I'm saying this but 4/5 defeats may remove him from Hearts and I'm almost more in favour of that than him limping on a year.

avhudtheteeshirt

I'm just glad the stopped public flogging, as we as a team would be top of any poll on this subject.

If a player has a bad game he's useless, if a referee makes a mistake he's a cheat, if the manager lays down the law on a player he's out the door?

The biggest problem we have is we want everything at once, not a wee bit at a time, the teams not great at present, but was it not the same at the start of last season as well.

Last year it was Robbie out, this year its Cathro out!

Why not try and back the team through the bad times rather than berate them at every turn, who knows it may just help!!!!

michael_bolton

One of my abiding memories of Cathro is of him on the pitch and milking the crowd's applause after the Hamilton game, one of all of two good performances so far in his Hearts career. He was acting like we'd just won a cup. You can't expect to accept the plaudits without taking the flak. As it happens such is Cathro's remarkable faith in his own ability the flak doesn't seem to affect him ... he just deflects it to the players. Or the fans with their "high expectations".

Oh and I suppose we are amateurs in the sense we just generously fund the club without much of a return on the playing side this year, whereas Cathro as a professional rakes in a good salary for delivering nothing. We should know our place!

So, you're upset because he enjoyed a good day at the office? Ok.

I don't think Cathro has ever objected to the flak. I just don't see the benefit to anybody of Hearts hanging him out to dry in public. Would you like to be treated like that by your work? He's Hearts' employee and on that level they have a responsibility to protect him. Also, how he's treated reflects on what sort of club we are and will be noticed by other people who consider working for us.

As for putting your money in, I put my money in too. And I have sleepy days at work because of getting up early or going to bed late for games. I've been all over Scotland and Europe watching Hearts, spending a fortune in the process. Nobody makes me. I do it because I'm a Hearts supporter. Doesn't give me any special privileges to demand somebody be publicly slaughtered.

I just don't see what it would achieve.

Don't know if already mentioned but I'm hearing compo would only amount to 6 months wages if he does end up gone. This is down to his contract and if another club had come in for him they'd be paying minimum compensation, however unlikely that sounds now.

Glamorgan Jambo

Can I have some of what you are having GJ?

Have had a couple of grappas (on my hols) but also know a fair bit about communication ie when to say something and when to jeep schtoom....

ooh-aah-cantona

Looks like Cathro will take charge at Parkhead as there surely would have been communication from the club by now to tell us otherwise.

I don't think anyone on here genuinely knows what Levein and Budge are thinking but to me, it looks like the club are hoping the pressure gets to Cathro and he walks.

When Jambo journos like Sked (Scotsman) and Borthwick (STV) are now advocating change then you can be sure as eggs are eggs that the rest of Scottish media will start to pick at Cathro and the club.

If we get annihilated by Celtic - which I think is very possible - Cathro may feel enough is enough and walk / accept a reduced servance package.

Francis Albert

I don't think Cathro has ever objected to the flak. I just don't see the benefit to anybody of Hearts hanging him out to dry in public. Would you like to be treated like that by your work? He's Hearts' employee and on that level they have a responsibility to protect him. Also, how he's treated reflects on what sort of club we are and will be noticed by other people who consider working for us.

As for putting your money in, I put my money in too. And I have sleepy days at work because of getting up early or going to bed late for games. I've been all over Scotland and Europe watching Hearts, spending a fortune in the process. Nobody makes me. I do it because I'm a Hearts supporter. Doesn't give me any special privileges to demand somebody be publicly slaughtered.

I am not upset that he enjoyed a good day at the office. I am annoyed that he seems immune from learning any lessons from countless bad days at the office. How many times has he said we need to start games with urgency? How many times have we done so? How often has Ian "nothing will shake my belief in my ability" Cathro acknowledge any responsibility for failure. If you act like you've achieved something personally on a good day you should act like you've fallen short on a bad day, not just reiterate endlessly how able you are.

Also, if true about the salary that Cathro is on, Levein must go too.

The amount of money that he has wasted from the fans is unforgivable, whether its Cathro's contracts or the long list of duds he has signed. He cannot be trusted with another penny of OUR money as its the fans that are paying for all this crap, seeing as we get next to no money for on field revenue due to our shambolic performances.

With Cathro, apart from Pieman, I cant remember a single person from the club more disliked. If he was just a useless manager doing his best and everything he could to turn our fortunes around, thats fine, but its the arrogance, wont change a thing and the disgraceful attitude towards us who pay his wages is the part I cant stomach.

Even if we somehow got a win or two in the first four games,these other things wont change and anything positive is papering over cracks that cant be fixed.

Have had a couple of grappas (on my hols) but also know a fair bit about communication ie when to say something and when to jeep schtoom....

Enjoy the holidays mate.

Sorry no read all the thread

Was there a Board Meeting ??

No news of one has come out.

Francis Albert

Looks like Cathro will take charge at Parkhead as there surely would have been communication from the club by now to tell us otherwise.

I don't think anyone on here genuinely knows what Levein and Budge are thinking but to me, it looks like the club are hoping the pressure gets to Cathro and he walks.

When Jambo journos like Sked (Scotsman) and Borthwick (STV) are now advocating change then you can be sure as eggs are eggs that the rest of Scottish media will start to pick at Cathro and the club.

If we get annihilated by Celtic - which I think is very possible - Cathro may feel enough is enough and walk / accept a reduced servance package.

So it looks like we are relying on Celtic to annihilate us? Sounds like a plan.

michael_bolton

I am not upset that he enjoyed a good day at the office. I am annoyed that he seems immune from learning any lessons from countless bad days at the office. How many times has he said we need to start games with urgency? How many times have we done so? How often has Ian "nothing will shake my belief in my ability" Cathro acknowledge any responsibility for failure. If you act like you've achieved something personally on a good day you should act like you've fallen short on a bad day, not just reiterate endlessly how able you are.

How exactly should he act? How many football managers publicly confess to being rubbish every week?

It's not going well. No question. But what do you think would be achieved by the club humiliating our head coach in public five days before we play at Celtic Park?

No news of one has come out.

Thought there must have been after seeing a 14pager..just shows you eh

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

I'm just glad the stopped public flogging, as we as a team would be top of any poll on this subject.

If a player has a bad game he's useless, if a referee makes a mistake he's a cheat, if the manager lays down the law on a player he's out the door?

The biggest problem we have is we want everything at once, not a wee bit at a time, the teams not great at present, but was it not the same at the start of last season as well.

Last year it was Robbie out, this year its Cathro out!

Why not try and back the team through the bad times rather than berate them at every turn, who knows it may just help!!!!

Cathro doesn?t have the capacity to be a head coach. That is not an opinion.

michael_bolton

Err. Yes it is.

Francis Albert

How exactly should he act? How many football managers publicly confess to being rubbish every week?

It's not going well. No question. But what do you think would be achieved by the club humiliating our head coach in public five days before we play at Celtic Park?

I don't want him humiliated. I just want him sacked, and an announcement that he has been.

Yes, of course it is an opinion. Given enough time and the right development and environment, he might turn out to be a great head coach. I just don't want him finding that out here at Hearts.

Agree with this and also your previous post. The pound of flesh approach isn't for me either. I want some careful, considered and dignified resolution to this....not some trashy public fight or panicked knee-jerk decision making.

I started off feeling absolutely livid about the whole thing on Saturday but by this morning the increasingly mental rants and demands online (not just here) had put me in a totally different mood. I know it's infuriating and worrying and stressful but it's really not worth the vicious shit that people are coming out with more and more as the day goes on. You started off with a cup exit and 48 hours later we're at a point where some fans have wound themselves up into such a frenzy that they've lost all sense of logic or reason. Ann Budge is evil, she only wants our money, Craig Levein is evil too, oh and so is Cathro because he's deliberately trying to trash us. FOH are probably evil too given that they've "done nothing about any of it" (or words to that effect).  In order to feed the seethe people are making up ideas and chucking around assumptions then deciding it's all probably fact. If you're not as angry as the really angry people then the really angry people seem to just get even angrier. Maybe they'll accuse you of being a hibs fan because you're not angry enough. Oh, and EVERYBODY is "arrogant". I don't know how to jump into discussions like that - I'm just completely and utterly baffled by them.

The internet doesn't half amplify these things too. If you read this stuff and accepted it as a completely accurate temperature of supporter sentiment, you'd also think the majority were likely heading for some sort of blood pressure issues or just anger management classes at very least.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Some folk think Cathro is on ?200k p/a. He won't even be on half of that.

Minimum wage is too much for Cathro's performance. Stacey from McDonald's would do a better job.

michael_bolton

I don't want him humiliated. I just want him sacked, and an announcement that he has been.

Well, that's up to you.

I'm more talking about the 'disrespect' some people are feeling from the club and the accusations of Vlad-era-levels of secrecy.

We don't have the right to simply expect the club to make a statement every time we're unhappy.

michael_bolton

Oh, and EVERYBODY is "arrogant". I don't know how to jump into discussions like that - I'm just completely and utterly baffled by them.

The internet doesn't half amplify these things too. If you read this stuff and accepted it as a completely accurate temperature of supporter sentiment, you'd also think the majority were likely heading for some sort of blood pressure issues or just anger management classes at very least.

___________________________________________________ ____________________________________

I've noticed this too. It seems people think Cathro is arrogant because he smiled on Saturday. Is he supposed to scowl at the fans? Cry and rip his clothes?

Then whatever he says in interviews is immediately deemed to be arrogant. He could say 'I'm a buffoon and not fit for my job' and some people on here would still say 'SEE, SEE! ARROGANT!'.

The internet age.

EDIT: I've made a shocking job of quoting here. No idea how.

Rocco_Jambo

What an utter shambles our club is becoming again. Worst manager in our history but we can't afford to get rid of him. If this is the case then it is a complete farce and clear sign the footballing side of the club is being run in to the ground and those in charge of it are incompetent.

I'm no different from everyone else posting on here and unless something completely unexpected happens over the next couple of weeks, the Cathro experiment has failed and he has to go.

However, Mrs Budge is not stupid and will look to treat the guy with dignity. It looks like the top job at Hearts has been a bridge too far for him, but that does not mean he should be hung out to dry, never to have another job in football. He accepted the position and believed he could be successful, he was wrong, and it's up to him to now rebuild his career however he can. I would hazard a guess that the board is evaluating several possibilities over the next couple of weeks and planning accordingly. I'm sure a contingency has to be moving forward without Ian cathro.

To those who are calling for Craig Levein and/or Ann Budge to go, have a serious look at yourselves. Without Mrs Budge, there is a very serious likelihood that there would be no HMFC. She stepped in as a fan when the club were on the brink. She is a businesswoman with a track record of success in a multinational before going on to build her own business. She knows all about taking decisions and planning accordingly. That hasn't changed. As for CL - for everyone that is screaming for him to go, what were you saying during the Robbie "experiment" when we won the most difficult non-top tier league by a country mile? Remember something else, although Mrs Budge is a businesswoman, as has been said by many people, football operates very differently from a normal business and I know that CL has been a mentor to her in navigating the shark infested swamp which is the media and politics of out national game. And who would you suggest replace him?

Something is clearly wrong with Ian Cathro and his ability to translate all his supposed fine skills to effective performances in the pitch.

The leadership at  the club have to accept that a mistake has been made and figure out how to best move on. I believe we have made some good signings. Running around sacking people just for the optics of satisfying those who want to smell blood is not the way to manage this.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Yes, of course it is an opinion. Given enough time and the right development and environment, he might turn out to be a great head coach. I just don't want him finding that out here at Hearts.

At this time he's incapable of performing his tasks to an adequate level. Part of his job is being able to put out a team that can compete. That is not an opinion.

What an utter shambles our club is becoming again. Worst manager in our history but we can't afford to get rid of him. If this is the case then it is a complete farce and clear sign the footballing side of the club is being run in to the ground and those in charge of it are incompetent.

You do not know that as being the case. Which kind of negates everything else you say.

Why don't you go out there and find some sort of reality to use as the foundation for your attacks on our club.

Oh, and EVERYBODY is "arrogant". I don't know how to jump into discussions like that - I'm just completely and utterly baffled by them.

___________________________________________________ ____________________________________

I've noticed this too. It seems people think Cathro is arrogant because he smiled on Saturday. Is he supposed to scowl at the fans? Cry and rip his clothes?

Then whatever he says in interviews is immediately deemed to be arrogant. He could say 'I'm a buffoon and not fit for my job' and some people on here would still say 'SEE, SEE! ARROGANT!'.

The internet age.

EDIT: I've made a shocking job of quoting here. No idea how.

"ARROGANT!" is always the first and laziest accusation. Neilson got it, plenty before did too, now it's the turn of Cathro and Levein.

If they're referring to the same clip I saw earlier at the end of the penalty shoot-out it didn't look at all like a smirk to me. It looked very much like an awkward sort of pained grimace. 

Well, that's up to you.

I'm more talking about the 'disrespect' some people are feeling from the club and the accusations of Vlad-era-levels of secrecy.

We don't have the right to simply expect the club to make a statement every time we're unhappy.

No, we don't.  However this is a horrific couple of results, and a horrific exit from one of two competitions we had a chance to win this season, finishing below a part time team from the 4th tier.  On the back of a horrific set of results and performances since he arrived (worst managerial record in the history of HMFC).  I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some sort of information from the club to acknowledge this is not good enough and that we will be looking to rectify matters asap.

Cathro does not get pay off.He gets paid every month till he finds another job.Then breach of contract..Butcher had a great time and. no hurry to find job.

michael_bolton

No, we don't.  However this is a horrific couple of results, and a horrific exit from one of two competitions we had a chance to win this season, finishing below a part time team from the 4th tier.  On the back of a horrific set of results and performances since he arrived (worst managerial record in the history of HMFC).  I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some sort of information from the club to acknowledge this is not good enough and that we will be looking to rectify matters asap.

So, to clarify, you're worried that the club might be of the view that these results are fine and you need a club statement to convince you that they don't think that?

Really?

Archived