The neverending saga of Jamie Walker / no deal, he stays at Hearts (updated)

kila

Or maybe he doesn't want to be fined wages and look like a troublemaker? I believe the club mind but there's always two sides.

Doesn't want to look like a trouble

maker ?

Bit late to worry about that now.

Get him sold asap and draw a line under this.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess there's a few possibilities.

Maybe they agreed the deal but had to wait for legal chaps to draw up paperwork, maybe Jamie's agent wasn't available for a few weeks, maybe the club felt they couldn't justify increasing the wage bill until the end of the season but weren't worried as Jamie, a big hearts man who's been at the club for years and years, had said he would sign and why doubt him?

Life's rarely simple.

Hearts wouldn't need to increase his wage immediately, as he would be still be in his existing contract until its end, unless the new contract superseded it and took immediate effect.

I would be surprised if his agent was out of the country for weeks. Not that it makes much difference if the contract was agreed.

There could be a reason for this agreed contract not being signed, but as I said, as long as it wasn't signed there was the risk that one party could change their mind. In other circumstances it might have been us doing the changing of mind.

maker ?

Referring to him being sold, the statement from the club suggests his new preference is to run his contract down.

'Despite the club doing everything in its power to hold onto, and reward, one of its top youth products, it would seem that the player would prefer to see out the remaining year of his contract, leaving the club in a no-win situation'

maker ?

What's he done to cause trouble like?

What's he done to cause trouble like?

Using his family to air his greviences in public .

Not trying a fecking leg for the last three months.

Renaging on an agreement to sign a new contract.

Deliberately trying to get himself sent off and when finally achieving his aim throwing the captains armband to the ground.

In addition he's supposed to be a Hearts fan and has disrespected the club with these actions.

His attendance at Ibrox with the Rangers scarf on which is out of order as well we are supposed to believe he is a Hearts fan as well as a player.

He can GTF.

Deliberately trying to get himself sent off and when finally achieving his aim throwing the captains armband to the ground.

In addition he's supposed to be a Hearts fan and has disrespected the club with these actions.

His attendance at Ibrox with the Rangers scarf on which is out of order as well we are supposed to believe he is a Hearts fan as well as a player.

He can GTF.

I do find him getting himself sent off and missing the rangers game a bit suspect tbh. Hopefully untrue but stranger things have happened

bauld willie

He can GTF.

I'm not there is any proof he used his family to do anything and to be honest, it's probably just been an embarrassment to him. I suspect his dad was just doing what parents do.

I have seen the photograph of the Rangers thing and it is pretty repugnant, especially while you are Hearts player, but not the end of the world. He may have been asked to put it on for a laugh, who knows.

I don't know if the contract haggling thing is common or not, but this is where my line is. No-one is bigger than the club.

I'm sure if he still does sign this contract, many here will forgive him pretty quickly. And if he does move on, his account may be interesting.

Jambof3tornado

I do find him getting himself sent off and missing the rangers game a bit suspect tbh. Hopefully untrue but stranger things have happened

I've never seen a player want to get sent off more. The ref even let him off with a couple more warnings after his 1st yellow!

Forza Cuore

When was the photo taken looks a few years old at least ?

Think it is, doesn't really matter, still happened. In my eyes he's no longer a Hearts player.

Let's move on.

Bowmans_Boot

Think it is, doesn't really matter, still happened. In my eyes he's no longer a Hearts player.

Let's move on.

Taking this stance with our best player, a player who has given his entire career, total commitment and quite superb service is most definitely the way for the club to improve and move forward.

A quite superb post.

Forza Cuore

Taking this stance with our best player, a player who has given his entire career, total commitment and quite superb service is most definitely the way for the club to improve and move forward.

A quite superb post.

What stance should be taken. He wants to leave. He has a leaning towards Rangers. Nothing anyone on here can say will change any of the facts.

Personally nothing against the guy but why lose your shit when there is nothing we can do about it?

Bowmans_Boot

What stance should be taken. He wants to leave. He has a leaning towards Rangers. Nothing anyone on here can say will change any of the facts.

Personally nothing against the guy but why lose your shit when there is nothing we can do about it?

We could have worked harder behind the scenes to keep him. If that didnt work, fair enough, thats football.

We most certainly did not have to issue a public statement holding him out to dry, which was guaranteed to get a fair number of supporters against him. And it worked.

What a great, caring, fantastic family club we are.

Nookie Bear

We could have worked harder behind the scenes to keep him. If that didnt work, fair enough, thats football.

We most certainly did not have to issue a public statement holding him out to dry, which was guaranteed to get a fair number of supporters against him. And it worked.

There is no guarantee Walker will leave this summer so he may well be in the starting line up in August. Going to be a nightmare if a group of fans actively disown him.

Bowmans_Boot

There is no guarantee Walker will leave this summer so he may well be in the starting line up in August. Going to be a nightmare if a group of fans actively disown him.

Exactly. And the club knew that when they issued the statement.

Jamies first poor pass, bad decision making etc etc will be subject to a lot more scrutiny than any other player.

Jean Louis Valois

Get the feeling Walker will be disappointed about his dream move to Ibrox this summer. Doesn't seem to be the type of player they are going for at all, and can't see anyone else down south spending the money on him. Reckon he'll still be here come August, going to be difficult for him although he's not done anything different to Paterson and he didn't get any stick.

Jambof3tornado

Work harder behind the scenes? Was he not offered a contract in feb which would have seen him the highest paid player in maroon?

This is all down to one person.

Bowmans_Boot

Work harder behind the scenes? Was he not offered a contract in feb which would have seen him the highest paid player in maroon?

This is all down to one person.

"If that didnt work, fair enough, thats football."

& then the second, perhaps more relevant part of my post.

I like Jamie as a player but that's almost as hyperbolic as calling Noel Gallagher the greatest songwriter of all time! Jamie barely bothered his arse for the last three months of the season.

And I appreciate the club's stance - it's good to know that they offered one of our best players (at the time) the opportunity to be the club's best paid player. Shows players at all levels that they'll be rewarded if they play well. Pity Jamie didn't sign but that's his prerogative. Didn't need to come to this and I'm sure Jamie's dad's feeling a bit daft for causing it.

Forza Cuore

None of us know if the club could have worked harder to keep him. Walker intimated he would accept the deal on the table...then changed his mind, which he is entitled to do.

The club were backed into a corner regards the statement. A lot of personal abuse was being dished out on social media (including here) towards Levein and the club. Should they accept that and say nothing?

I've no appetite to argue with a fellow fan and accept your view on this. I just think the club is bigger than the individual...however loyal they may have been.

Cheers BB

Bowmans_Boot

None of us know if the club could have worked harder to keep him. Walker intimated he would accept the deal on the table...then changed his mind, which he is entitled to do.

The club were backed into a corner regards the statement. A lot of personal abuse was being dished out on social media (including here) towards Levein and the club. Should they accept that and say nothing?

I've no appetite to argue with a fellow fan and accept your view on this. I just think the club is bigger than the individual...however loyal they may have been.

Cheers BB

I agree on the personal abuse directed at Levein and also that the club are most certainly bigger and far more important than any individual player.

However, I think clubs with class have to rise above comments on social media and not react to them. The club have not acted well here at all and this is no way to treat a loyal player like Jamie.

No real "argument", by the way, differences of opinion and debate are good!!

Suggesting that the people behind the scenes at this club are not working hard enough is beyond belief, Jesus!!!!

Bowmans_Boot

I like Jamie as a player but that's almost as hyperbolic as calling Noel Gallagher the greatest songwriter of all time! Jamie barely bothered his arse for the last three months of the season.

And I appreciate the club's stance - it's good to know that they offered one of our best players (at the time) the opportunity to be the club's best paid player. Shows players at all levels that they'll be rewarded if they play well. Pity Jamie didn't sign but that's his prerogative. Didn't need to come to this and I'm sure Jamie's dad's feeling a bit daft for causing it.

The club acted poorly. Nothing is black and white and they have clearly stated that it is and all Jamies fault. If he doesnt get a move then next season will be incredibly difficult for him with some fans.

Very good regarding Noel Gallagher: I said "in my opinion"!!!!

Cut The Crap

I agree on the personal abuse directed at Levein and also that the club are most certainly bigger and far more important than any individual player.

However, I think clubs with class have to rise above comments on social media and not react to them. The club have not acted well here at all and this is no way to treat a loyal player like Jamie.

I agree with this.

Levein knows exactly how the media works, so this hasn't happened by accident. That's the most disappointing part for me.

Perhaps the Loyal Jamie could go on social media and explain his sudden love of Rangers...

The club acted poorly. Nothing is black and white and they have clearly stated that it is and all Jamies fault. If he doesnt get a move then next season will be incredibly difficult for him with some fans.

Very good regarding Noel Gallagher: I said "in my opinion"!!!!

:lol: just pulling your leg BB!

I disagree, I think the club acted well to clarify rumours hat were getting out of control. Unfortunate as it could've easily been avoided - loose lips sink ships, as they say.

Bowmans_Boot

Perhaps the Loyal Jamie could go on social media and explain his sudden love of Rangers...

Check out Jamies instagram: full of Hearts/Scotland (& Liverpool) stuff, not the remotest hint of anything Rangers. Several photos of his son in Hearts strips.

Bowmans_Boot

:lol: just pulling your leg BB!

I disagree, I think the club acted well to clarify rumours hat were getting out of control. Unfortunate as it could've easily been avoided - loose lips sink ships, as they say.

Could and should have been handled better. I get the impression that the person writing it was angry when they did so. It was unprofessional.

Is it just me or are you arguing with yourself in paras 1 and 2?

Bowmans_Boot

Is it just me or are you arguing with yourself in paras 1 and 2?

No. At the end of the day Hearts are bigger than Jamie Walker, or Rudi or Robbo or anyone else.

That does not, however, give the club a free pass to hang players out to dry with public statements, nor to try to sway supporters against loyal players who are still with us and could be crucial to is next season.

As I posted earlier, I think clubs with class and values should be bigger than issuing knee jerk reactions to something posted on social media.

sairyinthat

No. At the end of the day Hearts are bigger than Jamie Walker, or Rudi or Robbo or anyone else.

That does not, however, give the club a free pass to hang players out to dry with public statements, nor to try to sway supporters against loyal players who are still with us and could be crucial to is next season.

As I posted earlier, I think clubs with class and values should be bigger than issuing knee jerk reactions to something posted on social media.

Well you give me the impression You think Walker is bigger than the club for all you're mouthing,You think the Club lacks Class/Morals/Values.You have difficulty understanding Walker is 100% Totally at fault,he does not want to be here and our club is happy to accommodate him try and twist it as you will.And that is the last oxygen I breathe into this thread.

Suggesting that the people behind the scenes at this club are not working hard enough is beyond belief, Jesus!!!!

Given a number of our younger players have refused new contracts, perhaps with regards to specifically this, they do need to do better.

Given a number of our younger players have refused new contracts, perhaps with regards to specifically this, they do need to do better.

Alex Ferguson put a youth development scheme in place at both Aberdeen and Man U, what is fact is that it worked and secondly and more importantly it took time. Levein may not be AF but he is trying to get our youth set up working and on the back of it being destroyed under a previous regime. The current set up have had 3 years from being rock bottom....

If he gets it right we will see a stream of players coming through.

As I see there are two problems, firstly, most the players we have seen coming through recently are not good enough, and for all the uproar on here the ones released have struggled to do well elsewhere. And secondly the few that are good enough want to leave on their own terms, happy to see the club that has developed them and gave them their chance receive minimal return.

Fozzyonthefence

If it is indeed Sevco he goes to, why are the club selling probably our second best player to one of our biggest rivals for league positions?  I could understand if he was out of contract but he is contracted until 2018 and no doubt Sevco will be offering their usual peanuts (we should also make sure we got said peanuts paid up front!).  I would be very pissed off at the board if this happens.

If it is indeed Sevco he goes to, why are the club selling probably our second best player to one of our biggest rivals for league positions?  I could understand if he was out of contract but he is contracted until 2018 and no doubt Sevco will be offering their usual peanuts (we should also make sure we got said peanuts paid up front!).  I would be very pissed off at the board if this happens.

He'll only get sold if the offer is good enough.

Hopefully an offer for an English side comes in and he goes there instead.

Unknown user

If it is indeed Sevco he goes to, why are the club selling probably our second best player to one of our biggest rivals for league positions? I could understand if he was out of contract but he is contracted until 2018 and no doubt Sevco will be offering their usual peanuts (we should also make sure we got said peanuts paid up front!). I would be very pissed off at the board if this happens.

It's the way it works, can you think of any countries where big clubs don't buy the best players from local smaller clubs?

It's unrealistic to think Hearts will never sell a player to one of the bigger clubs in Scotland. It's also normal for this to be frustrating as ****!

Son Of Anarchy

Maybe its the agents fault?

All roads lead to Gorgie

He'll only get sold if the offer is good enough.

Hopefully an offer for an English side comes in and he goes there instead.

I wonder if Derby County are still interested as there was speculation before, however Gary Rowett is their manager now so that might have cooled.

socrates82

Alex Ferguson put a youth development scheme in place at both Aberdeen and Man U, what is fact is that it worked and secondly and more importantly it took time. Levein may not be AF but he is trying to get our youth set up working and on the back of it being destroyed under a previous regime. The current set up have had 3 years from being rock bottom....

If he gets it right we will see a stream of players coming through.

As I see there are two problems, firstly, most the players we have seen coming through recently are not good enough, and for all the uproar on here the ones released have struggled to do well elsewhere. And secondly the few that are good enough want to leave on their own terms, happy to see the club that has developed them and gave them their chance receive minimal return.

I disagree with players coming through not being good enough. Even though our youth system was decimated, paterson, walker, hamilton and nicolson (and less so smith and mcghee) have all done well for us. Holt did quite well at Rangers. We also sold king to swansea.

Before them, wallace, mcgowan, driver, johnson, novi all did well. Even Dylan mcgowan is now in the aussie squad.

Before them we produced Berra, gordon, neilson who were all caps.

I disagree with players coming through not being good enough. Even though our youth system was decimated, paterson, walker, hamilton and nicolson (and less so smith and mcghee) have all done well for us. Holt did quite well at Rangers. We also sold king to swansea.

Before them, wallace, mcgowan, driver, johnson, novi all did well. Even Dylan mcgowan is now in the aussie squad.

:spoton:

Maybe it is. I don't believe it is the same agent in all cases though.

Either way, developing young players and moving them on for good transfer fees is one of the main parts of our strategies. If players will not re-sign, meaning we get little to know return, then that strategy is not working.

Son Of Anarchy

Maybe it is. I don't believe it is the same agent in all cases though.

Either way, developing young players and moving them on for good transfer fees is one of the main parts of our strategies. If players will not re-sign, meaning we get little to know return, then that strategy is not working.

Agreed but if a players head is turned there's not much else the club can do.

Agreed but if a players head is turned there's not much else the club can do.

Then it either needs to change strartegy or find a person or a way to convince the player to sign that one last contract, as thisnheads being turned thing and agents influence is not a new phenomenon.

Son Of Anarchy

Then it either needs to change strartegy or find a person or a way to convince the player to sign that one last contract, as thisnheads being turned thing and agents influence is not a new phenomenon.

New no but loyalty is almost a thing of the past due to the money available almost everywhere bar here. I agree something has to change but its just too easy to blame the club when theres other in line first.

Agree...Hearts have had a good youth system over the years.

But it's bizarrely Hearts fans who seem to knock it.

Even going way back to the 80s and into the mid 90s we produced good young players who done us a turn before leaving.

Many actually stayed but that was before the days of money being pumped into the game.

We know young players come through in waves but some think it should be every season. :confused:

Rudolf's Mate

Agree...Hearts have had a good youth system over the years.

But it's bizarrely Hearts fans who seem to knock it.

Even going way back to the 80s and into the mid 90s we produced good young players who done us a turn before leaving.

Many actually stayed but that was before the days of money being pumped into the game.

We know young players come through in waves but some think it should be every season. :confused:

Fans will assume the players on the fringe aren't good enough if they're not getting game time. Right or wrong unless they're going to the relevant games then you can understand why they might think this.

Hopefully with a pre-season under his belt it will enable Cathro to see who is good enough and we'll see that with players being brought into the team.

What would be good would be a development thread (maybe there is one?) to keep track of players coming through. That way people attending these games can highlight players making everyone aware. Would also mean individual threads re games or specific players don't get lost.

Bazzas right boot

Don't think the Russians are involved in this.

sairyinthat

I thought the agent was appointed to handle the player on behalf of his agency,and probably explains why he has not publicly said anything as the agency involved would be in the firing line and probably barred from Tynecastle if it was considered he was working to an agenda.But I don't know

Got round to eventually watching the Levein interview on Hearts TV.

He seemed pretty much relaxed about Walker saying he'd 'been here for a long time and felt it was time to move on'

God how this has escalated. From both sides.

• davemclaren locked this topic

Archived