The neverending saga of Jamie Walker / no deal, he stays at Hearts (updated)

kila

Jamie Walker isn't the only one who's going to be having a heart to heart with Levein in the next week or so. Djoum, Lafferty and Isma also and that's just for starters.For Walker I'd be firm but fair. Tell him he is just the same as any other contracted player now. If he wants to really buckle down and work hard he'll be considered for the team. The slightest show of indignation, disruption or downing of tools from today onwards and he is banished from all first team activity until his contract expires. That's in no-ones best interests and I think Levein will get that across quite clearly.Walker is a good player. At his very best he is very valuable on the pitch to us this season.We certainly don't want to be wasting a wage on a player by having him on some kind of punishment regime purely because he wants to go to another club next season.

I don't doubt that everyone at the club will be made well aware of what's expected of them by Levein, Walker included. The question is though "will Walker have the strength of character to buckle down and produce the goods". Any more of the downing tools like we got during the last three months of last season and he deserves all that he gets. He should be letting Sevvo see what they are missing due to their inability to play fair. Time will tell though.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope we can get him fit, focussed and contributing positively to the team, week in, week out. He is crucial to our season being a success, be that league position or a cup. If Jamie is to leave at the end of the season then I would love Jamie to leave a SC winner.

Who do we leave out to accommodate him now?

I can't see CL leaving out new players to accommodate a player who has stated his wish to leave and who made himself unavailable for selection in opening weeks off the season due to his behaviour

If he approaches the club and states a desire to recommense contractual discussions then things may change

He's boxed himself into a corner at present

Well, the fact is that Jamie remains contracted to us until the end of this season.  If he is a professional footballer, he will fulfil that contract to the best of his ability.  If he doesn't, I have no doubt that Levein will drop him.  If he gets dropped due to attitude issues, then let's stop the chat about the u20s.  The u20s should not be seen as place that huffy senior players go to get punished.  That can only have a negative impact on the u20s.

The best scenario for us as I see it is for Jamie to show everyone what he's made of.  Think about what Celtic have paid to Man City just to loan Patrick Roberts for a season, on top of which they are to pay a chunk of his wages.  Having a good season from Jamie will outweigh the buttons Rangers were offering.

kingantti1874

If he had any ambition he would have moved to spain.

Honestly Walker is one of the worst kind.. What kind of professional doesn't want to platter, to better themselves, to earn and we cure their family in the best leagues in the world.. He has all the talent required but comes across as exceptionally dense..the fact that he isn't the standout week in week out in the SPL that he could and should be says it all

Seymour M Hersh

I guess if he's been prepared to bide his time contributing very little for a few months now, he'll be OK waiting it out for another couple of months before leaving in January.

How is he just going to leave in January. If the club still don't get an offer that is acceptable the best Walker can do is sign a pre-contract. 

Seymour M Hersh

Honestly, yes.

Do you know him? Have you spoken to him about this or is it pure supposition/speculation on your part BB?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I would honestly preferred this to be at an end.

But since he is with us, this is what should happen.

The owner should take him in for a digestive and a yarn, break the discomforture.

Once done, the manager pops in. Ready to go to work and prove what a right good player you are.

No one wins, if its ignored. Is he going to go to Rangers - most probably yes, but we need to try and ensure he goes there, having done us a turn. If the performance levels fall off altogether then there is no choice, but with months ahead, there really is no choice but to try and get his head back into it even if his heart has gone.

I hope we can get him fit, focussed and contributing positively to the team, week in, week out. He is crucial to our season being a success, be that league position or a cup. If Jamie is to leave at the end of the season then I would love Jamie to leave a SC winner.

Your faith is unwavering BB! In all honesty we will know soon enough though as Levein will not tolerate anything except 100% commitment from him. From the outside looking in though he appears quite a weak, brittle type of character so I have serious reservations on Paterson type displays from him this season. If he is excluded from the first team due to attitude you can see his confidence taking a massive knock.

Speaks volumes that Rangers were trying to unsettle Maclean of Aberdeen and JW without actually making any kind of reasonable offer.

Dirty tricks.

Disgusting club.

I don't honestly believe that they wanted him at all.

Come January I think JW is in for an awful shock

Rangers will either not offer, or will make a derisory offer as they know they are the ONLY offer he will get.

Which is a pretty awful bargaining position for a pay rise

Danny Wilson is absolutely rank, I'd rather have kept McGhee than resign that imposter. Couldn't actually wait to get beck to his hero's in Govan despite winning the league with us. Holt another one who played the not signing a contract game till he got his wish. Jamie Walker should take note that's only two in a long line of SPFL players who've engineered a move to Glasgow and been dumped on their arse before they got their name on a locker.

Just look at Templeton's blossoming career in the Weeg. In fact is he still there?

Your faith is unwavering BB! In all honesty we will know soon enough though as Levein will not tolerate anything except 100% commitment from him. From the outside looking in though he appears quite a weak, brittle type of character so I have serious reservations on Paterson type displays from him this season. If he is excluded from the first team due to attitude you can see his confidence taking a massive knock.

the thing that amazes me most is BB sticking it to Rangers............

the whole saga has been worth it for that alone

Just look at Templeton's blossoming career in the Weeg. In fact is he still there?

Hamilton.

a lesson from history

Honestly, yes.

I liked many others seriously doubt that Jamie Walker has the mental capacity to see out the remainder of his contract in a professional manner. You disagree, no problem. You continually claim Walker is our "best player", when was the last time he actually was our best player in a game ?

I hope Jamie has the guts to fix this. It's not irreparable. He can accept his situation (because nobody has been unfair to him, except maybe his agent and Rangers), put in the work, perform to the best of his ability and I'm sure the fans will hopefully begin to forgive. Or it would get better anyway. We can have a good season, he can be part of it, then he can go on his merry way with some sort of goodwill rather than having to worry about being persona non grata with Hearts supporters for the rest of his days.

Going in a huff won't help. It's the last thing he should be doing. He's not a kid anymore.

I'm just not sure he has the right attitude to achieve that though, and it's sad given how important he has been to us and how long he has been at Hearts.

She's maybe behaving like a tube and said some stupid things but she's just one young woman versus the angry maroon corner of the internet, and she probably has found it difficult to read comments online about her brother. Many have been really ridiculous and some have been plain awful, like wishing death on him. Argh. Tongue in cheek or not, that's going to affect those who love him.

If the "big people" were truly big they'd just leave her be. No good will come of getting into fights with her or trolling her for more reaction. She isn't the problem here.

I agree it's completely unacceptable. If her brother had signed for Rangers the scope for that sort of abuse increased 100 fold. A goal against Celtic or the wrong like and it's open season for these bampots! It's best family stay well out these things.

Ideal situation: he woke up this morning, had an epiphany, realised Rangers are dicks, his agent hasn't done a good job, and he's actually onto a pretty good thing as it is. He turns up, trains hard and plays well. He also looks elsewhere for his next move.

Well, you never know. I'm ever the optimist.

Do you know him? Have you spoken to him about this or is it pure supposition/speculation on your part BB?

[/quote

He's his Dad and is unable to control him as proved.

Jamie Walker isn't the only one who's going to be having a heart to heart with Levein in the next week or so. Djoum, Lafferty and Isma also and that's just for starters.

For Walker I'd be firm but fair. Tell him he is just the same as any other contracted player now. If he wants to really buckle down and work hard he'll be considered for the team. The slightest show of indignation, disruption or downing of tools from today onwards and he is banished from all first team activity until his contract expires. That's in no-ones best interests and I think Levein will get that across quite clearly.

Walker is a good player. At his very best he is very valuable on the pitch to us this season.We certainly don't want to be wasting a wage on a player by having him on some kind of punishment regime purely because he wants to go to another club next season.

Why Lafferty?

the thing that amazes me most is BB sticking it to Rangers............

the whole saga has been worth it for that alone

As I have throughout this thread.

Phil D. Corners

Largely due to his own poor attitude looks like Walker will not make it to the top. Pity since he clearly had talent

ThIs. Jamie needs to decide what attitude he will bring with to the next training session and beyond.

I have never met or spoken to Jamie. We do have a few mutual friends, though.

I agree it's completely unacceptable. If her brother had signed for Rangers the scope for that sort of abuse increased 100 fold. A goal against Celtic or the wrong like and it's open season for these bampots! It's best family stay well out these things.

Agreed, but people are human I suppose, and not everyone is social media savvy.

As for the 'wrong like' thing, I'm not so sure Jamie's own activity wasn't passive aggressive and loaded with meaning. Every time he did it he had a million joyous Orcs commenting and giving him a virtual slap on the back for it. "You favourited this! We can see this means you want to come to us" over and over again. He would've been well aware of the effect. I don't believe that he didn't realise how that might come across to Hearts or Hearts fans, I just think he maybe felt hard done by and didn't really care.

Ideal situation: he woke up this morning, had an epiphany, realised Rangers are dicks, his agent hasn't done a good job, and he's actually onto a pretty good thing as it is. He turns up, trains hard and plays well. He also looks elsewhere for his next move.

Well, you never know. I'm ever the optimist.

That's a sunny Friday view! With all the background noise from his family and the influence of the hun agent I wonder what Walker really thinks himself, you get the impression that he is being pushed and pulled by others.

Agreed, but people are human I suppose, and not everyone is social media savvy.

As for the 'wrong like' thing, I'm not so sure Jamie's own activity wasn't passive aggressive and loaded with meaning. Every time he did it he had a million joyous Orcs commenting and giving him a virtual slap on the back for it. "You favourited this! We can see this means you want to come to us" over and over again. He would've been well aware of the effect. I don't believe that he didn't realise how that might come across to Hearts or Hearts fans, I just think he maybe felt hard done by and didn't really care.

He also liked loads of Hearts related posts, which is ignored.

"Hearts turn down Rangers Walker offer": Jamie likes it. This is taken to mean he wants to leave by people on here.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Didnt JD just say that the entire team isnt at the fitness levels required, and that it was Cathros fault? (He did, btw.)

Being unable to run due to being knackered and unwilling to run because you don't feel like it are two completely different things.

And you're point about being a committed Hearts fan because you support an uncommitted mini hun is offensive.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Why Lafferty?

Ditto. Totally motivated and playing with a smile and passion I would say.

Ideally Jamie will rediscover his form and be part of a successful Hearts team this season, hopefully ending with a SC win. Meanwhile Rangers lose interest and Jamie signs a new 3 yr deal.

Not impossible.

Ditto. Totally motivated and playing with a smile and passion I would say.

Definitely.

One of the more motivated players in the squad. 

He also liked loads of Hearts related posts, which is ignored.

"Hearts turn down Rangers Walker offer": Jamie likes it. This is taken to mean he wants to leave by people on here.

Yeah but that doesn't really matter, or not in the current and recent content. The focus was on his relationship with Rangers. If he doesn't realise that, I worry for him a bit. I'm not out to paint him as some spawn of Satan or anything, far from it, I just don't think it's plausible that he didn't understand people might interpret it a certain way or that he didn't at any point think "Given the current attention on me and the difficult situation with Rangers, I should probably be careful"...

I have a feeling JW will sign a new contract now, then we can all love him again.

I find anger difficult to maintain

TheMightyShed

First part isn't true.

Levein shouldn't have singled out Walker in the press for wanting to leave which started this whole ridiculous circus but well done for sticking to our guns and not caving in.

It's been handled badly from both parties particularly Jamie's. Hopefully he will knuckle down, show the performances he can produce and get the fans back onside.

To be fair to CL, clubs quite rightly use the press as an advertising tool so the likes of Rangers don't snake it with an el cheapo offer ...

Now we have Jamie until he bolts, I think he should be on the subs bench in most games - as an impact player - even though he might get pelters every single time he comes on ... but hey, karma is a biatch sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So when Cathro asked Jamie to look at the contract situation again, did Jamie go

A - Ok

B - Aye right. I'm only playing shite because you're useless.

C - You're joking aren't you after that statement, throwing me under the bus.

D - Sorry, I was hasty agreeing to the initial contract without talking it through properly with those nearest to me, but I've been here for years, done you a good turn and I'm still looking to leave and will give everything for 12 months to win a cup and qualify for Europe.

Yeah but that doesn't really matter, or not in the current and recent content. The focus was on his relationship with Rangers. If he doesn't realise that, I worry for him a bit. I'm not out to paint him as some spawn of Satan or anything, far from it, I just don't think it's plausible that he didn't understand people might interpret it a certain way or that he didn't at any point think "Given the current attention on me and the difficult situation with Rangers, I should probably be careful"...

In terms of social media, I genuinely just think Jamie is a bit daft.  He likes posts by anyone he knows, pretty sure he liked a photo of a Hibs player celebrating a goal against Hearts when we got knocked out the cup!

Agree he should be more careful, but I'm not convinced any of it was done with malice either.  Anyway, the situation should have a line drawn under it at this point.  Hopefully Walker realises Rangers used him to appease their fans and never actually went to any great lengths to get him.  He now needs to work hard and get his head down.  If he puts it behind him and puts the effort in I suggest the Hearts fans would do the same and we can get back on with football.

That's a sunny Friday view! With all the background noise from his family and the influence of the hun agent I wonder what Walker really thinks himself, you get the impression that he is being pushed and pulled by others.

I think it's inspired by the dream I had last night in which Jamie stood on the pitch with a mic and apologised to everyone and we all clapped and then he scored a hat trick. It was lovely. I woke up feeling quite differently about him. :laugh:

Like the doctor above, I find a grudge very hard to maintain. I am working on it though.

Jamie has backed himself into a corner.

I can not see Rangers willing to pay him decent wages when they know they are the only show in town for him.

It's a all a bit sad really.

I'm abroad at moment so may have missed something but I assume Rangers did not sign McLean from Aberdeen either? So this was all a disruption tactic by Rangers against Hearts and Aberdeen, but only Walker got his head turned. In the end Rangers loaned Nemane from Man City and Walker looks a bit silly...

Get Jamie fit, focussed and get the best out of him.

Jamie needs to get himself fit.

Jamie needs changes his attitude and get focused on his job.

Jamie needs to get the best out of himself.

Jamie needs to train and perform as he is being paid to do.

That is what he needs to do.

scott herbertson

To me it's mostly simple.

CL will no doubt sit down with JW and look him in the eye and ask him if he is committed to Hearts for this season.

If he gets a yes, he will then evaluate that commitment at training.

If he likes the way JW is training and sees the commitment from the player he is looking for, then...

JWs in the match squad. I think CL is savvy enough to play him at the right times (which for me would initially be mostly in the away games - less moaning minnies, more supportive if the players and get them on side and the feel God factor will develop again)

CL then talks to JW and his agent about new contract. If no agreement possible agree a club statement which JW and his agent also agree to.

As a side issue the club discusses the social media issue with JW agrees what is acceptable and what is not (with potential internal disciplinary consequences if the agreement is broken).

Now the not so simple bit. JW himself, and the fans, particularly the social media side

I think it would be tremendously helpful if JW could issue a statement (with the he endorsement of the club) clarifying what has happened - Rangers offer, his refusal of Hearts contract offer, his willingness to give 100% while still under contract, or even better that contract extension negotiations are underway.

I think it would be helpful if the club also said something about the personal comments on social media (on both sides) and committed to only the club making statements as and when there are 'developments'.

The other no simple bit is how we, the fans, respond should JW be restored to the team. There seems to be a number of fans bent on vengeance or venting their spleen at JW. While I can understand the anger (it's not my way, but I know others feel different) it really isn't going to help the club for one of our best players to be slagged off by his own fans. JW is clearly a 'confidence' player - as well as the bad run he is on now, I think he had comparable bad patches when he returned from the 'cheating' ban and when he returned from injury. It would be great (though I know I am being naive here, if we could just treat him like any other player while CL chooses to select him.

A fit and motivated Walker is our best and most influential player.

A lot can happen between now and January espically at Rangers.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Just read a link to the Record (I know, I know), which claims WE approached Rangers asking for Holt, Dodoo or Bates as part of deal, and THEY knocked us back! :rofl:

Never change, Scottish sport media.

Just read a link to the Record (I know, I know), which claims WE approached Rangers asking for Holt, Dodoo or Bates as part of deal, and THEY knocked us back! :rofl:

Nobody ever knocks back rangers

always them

always

The agent should be banned from Tynecastle, cannot overstate how angry I am with the shoddy manner in which he has clearly "advised" his client.

There was a generous contract on offer - all the agent needed to do was negotiate a fair transfer release clause and all parties would have been satisfied. 

Instead he, quite probably, acted as a facilitator of Walker being tapped up and hoped that the press could bully Hearts into accepting derisory transfer offers. He has left Walker in the situation of having put all his eggs in one basket and this could affect his career badly. THIS is why young, possibly naive or not worldly-wise footballers hire agents - to represent their best interests and earn their % with good advice, not just to negotiate the contracts.

The agent should be banned from Tynecastle, cannot overstate how angry I am with the shoddy manner in which he has clearly "advised" his client.

There was a generous contract on offer - all the agent needed to do was negotiate a fair transfer release clause and all parties would have been satisfied. 

Instead he, quite probably, acted as a facilitator of Walker being tapped up and hoped that the press could bully Hearts into accepting derisory transfer offers. He has left Walker in the situation of having put all his eggs in one basket and this could affect his career badly. THIS is why young, possibly naive or not worldly-wise footballers hire agents - to represent their best interests and earn their % with good advice, not just to negotiate the contracts.

I agree and its not the first time Alan Houndsworth has ****ed up. The Scott Allan debacle messed up Allans career (again) true, he has more money in the bank but he's now out on loan for dundee. The undignified way he went about it too - 'Boyhood heroes' and nasty hibs depriving him of a 'dream move'.

Levein has to refuse to work with the guy. He'll ruin a lads career for a quick payday with zero second thought. Surely not the sort of agent we want representing our youngsters?

Being unable to run due to being knackered and unwilling to run because you don't feel like it are two completely different things.

And you're point about being a committed Hearts fan because you support an uncommitted mini hun is offensive.

I used the term "committed Hearts fan" as two people have questioned whether I am. Well, one openly stated that I wasnt!

What about this then - from the Daily Rainjur also - 

But negotiations hit a 'stalemate' as Rangers failed to meet Hearts' ?1m valuation. Rangers had tried to offer what Hearts insiders described as 'deadwood' as makeweight in the deal. But the offer was dismissed by Gorgie chiefs.

• davemclaren locked this topic

Archived