***Potential signings/Transfer rumours Thread***

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

We_are_the_Hearts

Bump.. no rumours out there? Thought the perk of having the DOF system means we didnt have to rely on a having a head coach in place to make signings etc.  If our recruitment drive has stopped does that indicate a move away from our system?

I know he has strong Hibs connections, but a signing we should be looking to make is Liam Henderson, midfield is crying out for a player like him and Celtic aparently willing to sell.  

Keeper - Jon McLaughlin still unsigned to a team, and Michael McGovern getting splinters on Norwich's bench. 

Everyone at the club has prior commitments it would seem. 

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt players would rush to sign at the moment....we don't have a manager or head coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair Cathro hadn't finished signing the players he wanted for his chosen style 3-4-3

Now that he has been ditched of course the squad will look unbalanced for two reasons

1. We hadn't finished our business

2. Daly now wants to play a formation that isn't suited to the players we spent all summer buying.

Funny thing is Daly knows it if you listen to his interview attacking Rodgers.

Our width comes by way of wing backs - the wide players in the midfield 4.

The 3 at the back comes from Hughes Souttar and Berra

The 3 at the front Lafferty as the focus with players like Isma and Walker more fluid and able to come in from wider etc

We needed 2 to 3 more players really to give that formation a decent crack. (2 CMs ideally and a new keeper).

If we drastically change formation we need another 5 or 6.

We were told Leveins whole plan for the club (bringing through coaches, keep same system throughout club, not needing to change everything when someone moves on blah blah blah) was designed specifically to avoid this kind of situation.

Beh?lt were started by a couple of local lads, both amateur goalies. Neither played pro. Decent gloves though, I've had a few pairs. Don't like the way their styling has gone lately so I'm back to Sells or Uhlsport.

Love the gloves , one of the guys is actually a friend of mine. Good to see them do well.

I doubt players would rush to sign at the moment....we don't have a manager or head coach.

DOF, Levein is meant to be signing the players though or that's how I thought the system would work - realise its not ideal but if we miss out on some key targets because we don't have a head coach it could set us back another season or two..

Right now getting a manager in is more important than anything.

The Cathro reign was so bad we don't actually know how good or bad our team actually is.

kingantti1874

Right now getting a manager in is more important than anything.

The Cathro reign was so bad we don't actually know how good or bad our team actually is.

This is very true..however A keeper, a midfielder and a winger a glaring gaps in our squad imo

This is very true..however A keeper, a midfielder and a winger a glaring gaps in our squad imo

And you would be correct.

We were told Leveins whole plan for the club (bringing through coaches, keep same system throughout club, not needing to change everything when someone moves on blah blah blah) was designed specifically to avoid this kind of situation.

This.

And yet it falls apart at the first sign of succession??!!

Bump.. no rumours out there? Thought the perk of having the DOF system means we didnt have to rely on a having a head coach in place to make signings etc.  If our recruitment drive has stopped does that indicate a move away from our system?

I know he has strong Hibs connections, but a signing we should be looking to make is Liam Henderson, midfield is crying out for a player like him and Celtic aparently willing to sell.  

Keeper - Jon McLaughlin still unsigned to a team, and Michael McGovern getting splinters on Norwich's bench. 

I'd take mcgovern decent keeper, but henderson will never come to us in a million years.....

Generic Username

We were told Leveins whole plan for the club (bringing through coaches, keep same system throughout club, not needing to change everything when someone moves on blah blah blah) was designed specifically to avoid this kind of situation.

I think the whole basis for "the model" hinges on there being relatively long term stability when it comes to whoever is the first team coach. That way the other coaches at the club are afforded time and experience to develop themselves and work with players ear-marked as future first teamers. I'm not entirely sure we'll ever have a first team coach on the books for the required period of time for this to really come to fruition.

The theory is sound, the reality is it will take much longer than the five years perpetually quoted to come good.

Ibrahim Tall

We were told Leveins whole plan for the club (bringing through coaches, keep same system throughout club, not needing to change everything when someone moves on blah blah blah) was designed specifically to avoid this kind of situation.

The plan kind of requires the structure being place though to be honest which at the moment it isn't.

The whole model is dependent on long term stability in other departments meaning the managerial positional can be more flexible. In our case we had a DOF who'd been here 2 years, a youth team manager who'd been here 5 minutes, no assistant after Crawfords departure and even on the coaching side Fox who was surely familiar with the players had been allowed to leave.

We were effectively starting from ground zero in all departments apart from John Murrays but by all accounts our scouting network was decimated under Vlad/admin so it's debatable we were up to speed there either.

*When Cathro was appointed.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Oh you can be the manager, but sorry I know there is time in the window but here are 4 punters I signed for you last week

:cornette:

Do we not think whoever is coming in has been given time to deliver a list of players? Show their knowledge of the current squad, the league and where they will strengthen us. Why we are taking time

Oh you can be the manager, but sorry I know there is time in the window but here are 4 punters I signed for you last week

:cornette:

Do we not think whoever is coming in has been given time to deliver a list of players? Show their knowledge of the current squad, the league and where they will strengthen us. Why we are taking time

If they are to the standard of Lafferty or Berra then why wouldn't the manager be grateful for the additions?  Like it or not about 90% of signings will have come through Levein since Budge took control, more recently we have used Austin's contacts it appears but still Levein has a say on the matter.  

If recruitment has halted and we are waiting on a head coach to tell us who we should be trying to sign then is Levein's position really needed given he will be highest paid non playing staff?

DOF, Levein is meant to be signing the players though or that's how I thought the system would work - realise its not ideal but if we miss out on some key targets because we don't have a head coach it could set us back another season or two..

So not signing a midfielder or gk in the next 3 weeks could set us back nearly 2 years ?

You're drunk

GorgieRules22

So not signing a midfielder or gk in the next 3 weeks could set us back nearly 2 years ?

You're drunk

Maybe not two years but it's already ruining this season and we're only a few games in. Criminal to think that we all know we're we are badly short but the men that matter don't.

This season could have started a lot differently had we got rid of Cathro in May. Shocking decision to let him take pre season.

You're drunk

I wish i was ha! 

Maybe an overeaction but point being since we returned to Premier League our transfer windows has been very poor. If we stand still and teams around us improve we could left trailing the pack for the next few years.  I'm confident we won't be, but i would hate to think that we would let a potential signing that we are crying out for slip to a rival due to us being managerless when the whole point of the DOF system was to avoid that scenario.

Example being Manchester United, they lacked serious investment (comparative to their rivals) in Sir Alex's last few years and are still rebuilding.  

Watt-Zeefuik

We have gotten quality players after the window in recent years. I imagine that could be the case again this year.

Everyone at the club has prior commitments it would seem.

Seems they are all too busy doing someone else's job.

...a bit disco

That was quick :D

The Norwich statement didn't say he had another club lined up.

Thought he was shit for United in those playoff games mind you.

Would've happily taken him here though.

To be fair Cathro hadn't finished signing the players he wanted for his chosen style 3-4-3

Now that he has been ditched of course the squad will look unbalanced for two reasons

1. We hadn't finished our business

2. Daly now wants to play a formation that isn't suited to the players we spent all summer buying.

Funny thing is Daly knows it if you listen to his interview attacking Rodgers.

Our width comes by way of wing backs - the wide players in the midfield 4.

The 3 at the back comes from Hughes Souttar and Berra

The 3 at the front Lafferty as the focus with players like Isma and Walker more fluid and able to come in from wider etc

We needed 2 to 3 more players really to give that formation a decent crack. (2 CMs ideally and a new keeper).

If we drastically change formation we need another 5 or 6.

I thought that about Daly's comments as well. The Cathro formation, with the level of players at his disposal was bewildering. Absolutely zero chance of success. Not sure if it was pigheadedness or a complete lack of knowledges about the players themselves. Makes me even more certain that his abilities lie very much in the coaching sphere and not in managing a team, picking players etc.

Winston Ingram

It's a bit disheartening that we've not been linked with a Goalkeeper yet.

? We have. Freddie Woodman. 

? We have. Freddie Woodman.

Aye, weeks ago due to the Cathro/Newcastle connection, surely if there was anything in that a loan deal would have been sorted out by now.

I was of the give it time chat a few weeks ago and realise theres still a couple of weeks before the window shuts... It is pretty ridiculous we STILL havent signed a goalkeeper or centre mid though given these have been glaring weak points for about a year now AND the season has started....

I was of the give it time chat a few weeks ago and realise theres still a couple of weeks before the window shuts... It is pretty ridiculous we STILL havent signed a goalkeeper or centre mid though given these have been glaring weak points for about a year now AND the season has started....

:spoton:

It's a bit disheartening that we've not been linked with a Goalkeeper yet.

Just because we haven't been linked with anyone does not mean we are not or have not been, trying.  Not everything reaches the press.  As it happens we were linked (reportedly) with McGregor but Hull lost a keeper through injury and sold one.  If our interest was real that would surely cause a delay - not of our making.

Just because we haven't been linked with anyone does not mean we are not or have not been, trying. Not everything reaches the press. As it happens we were linked (reportedly) with McGregor but Hull lost a keeper through injury and sold one. If our interest was real that would surely cause a delay - not of our making.

Very true, I'm sure we have, but it has been a problem position for over a year now and we've started the season, this should have been sorted by now.

If we're holding out for McGregor, fair enough but it needs to happen soon, like by next week. We've only got over 21 days left otherwise we're going to lose a lot of easy goals this season.

No way can we sign players just now. What if the new man comes in and wants to play with wingers? Or he might want to play wing backs? We can't sign players if we don't know what system we'll play.

Also its total bullshit trying to say the club has a style right the way through, Daly came in for the Celtic game and completely changed us.

Very true, I'm sure we have, but it has been a problem position for over a year now and we've started the season, this should have been sorted by now.

If we're holding out for McGregor, fair enough but it needs to happen soon, like by next week. We've only got over 21 days left otherwise we're going to lose a lot of easy goals this season.

We had several positions that were a problem a year ago.We now have 2 strikers which were the "must have" then and we've signed a competent CD (Berra).  We are not awash with money so getting someone of decent ability and within our budget may take time.  In addition if we had some outward movement (eg Walker or Djoum) that would provide funds to minimise our deficiencies.

Maybe you could help by saying who you think we could have signed and at what cost.

The sensible thing for the club to do would be to keep scouting players and quietly sounding out their agents.

Then when the new guy comes in, he'd have a list of possiblities to compare to his own contacts.

Actually completing deals now would seem like undermining the new coach before they've begun.

If they are thorough, they'll know where we need improving already and be sounding out agents to find out who they could get in. Might even be the basis of a chunk of their interview.

Just because nothing is in the public domain, does not mean that nothing is happening - more that neither the club or prospective coaches have anything to gain from working publicly.

We had several positions that were a problem a year ago.We now have 2 strikers which were the "must have" then and we've signed a competent CD (Berra). We are not awash with money so getting someone of decent ability and within our budget may take time. In addition if we had some outward movement (eg Walker or Djoum) that would provide funds to minimise our deficiencies.

Maybe you could help by saying who you think we could have signed and at what cost.

This goes way back to the start of last season though.

Then again in January we had another opportunity to sign a keeper. The majority of this window has passed and still it hasn't been addressed. That's almost 3 transfer Windows!!

Ok fair enough, we were unlucky not to get Gilks in the first of the 3 and I totally appreciate it is difficult to find a good keeper on our budget, they are few and far between.

However we 'cannot' go into the rest of the season with Hamilton in goals and it is unlikely that the Jan 2018 window is the time or place where we will be able to bring one in given the time constraints, and the fact that clubs get held hostage in terms of money.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Whoever comes in has a monumental task. A cluster**** of epic proportions this.

What cash do we even have?

Bazzas right boot

Whoever comes in has a monumental task. A cluster**** of epic proportions this.

What cash do we even have?

Nothing a few of the correct signings will fix....

jamboinglasgow

I remember hearing a German journalist talk about the difference in attitude between British football and German football. He said that British football has an obsession with signing players, one player not performing six months after coming? Then sign another. He said in Germany however their focus is on the right manager/head coach who can get the most out of the players. Yes you still sign players but you want to get the most out of the players already on the books.

To me that is what needs to apply here. While we could do with a couple of signings, if we get the right manager in who can get this squad clicking, then that to me is more important.

sandylejambo

I remember hearing a German journalist talk about the difference in attitude between British football and German football. He said that British football has an obsession with signing players, one player not performing six months after coming? Then sign another. He said in Germany however their focus is on the right manager/head coach who can get the most out of the players. Yes you still sign players but you want to get the most out of the players already on the books.

To me that is what needs to apply here. While we could do with a couple of signings, if we get the right manager in who can get this squad clicking, then that to me is more important.

I think we have the best of Hamilton, and it's not all that impressive.

jamboinglasgow

I think we have the best of Hamilton, and it's not all that impressive.

not saying we dont need a new goalkeeper, but the squad as a whole.

Watt-Zeefuik

I agree fully with this. We have players who were good under Neilson and shit under Cathro and the attitude is still "clear them all out and sign a new squad," which isn't a good use of money and risks yet another dysfunctional squad.

I'm still frustrated that we ran off Kitchen and Johnsen because of their poor performances under Cathro.  Neither is a world beater and both had slipped badly in form but if both were playing in the form they were under Neilson would be an improvement to our current squad.

That's why it has to be dougie freedman

sandylejambo

this is getting on my nerves, the people who make the football decisions are not up to the job, sacking the head coach should have been done at the end of last season, unless they sent him on a course on how to motivate players and could get their money back, he was never going to make it, a keeper should have been signed long before now, why the actual F did they let it get to this stage without a first pick one, midfield is a joke, we have needed a box to box midfielder for two years, why have we not got one by now? did they think they could turn Matin into one? they are giving contracts to players my gran could run past and some say give Levein a chance, how many F***-ups is enough to get your arse kicked?

That's why it has to be dougie freedman

Excuse my ignorance but why Dougie Freedman? No offence just asking.

Watt-Zeefuik

What decent players within our budget are still realistically available?

We signed Djoum, Rossi, and Pallardo after the windows closed. All three were among our best signings in their respective years.

siegementality

We signed Djoum, Rossi, and Pallardo after the windows closed. All three were among our best signings in their respective years.

For a short period of time.

Archived